Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/19/2004 5:40:20 PM EDT
I am getting a new barrel.  I have the break down of how to clean it every so many shots.  What I need to know is what is the definition of cleaning the barrel? Is it run a swab down the barrel till it comes out clean? or is it rip out the bore brush and solvent and scrub it and then use a patch?
Link Posted: 7/19/2004 5:50:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Is it chrome lined?
Link Posted: 7/19/2004 6:36:35 PM EDT
[#2]
What type of barrel are we talking about?  Chromelined barrels need no break in.
Link Posted: 7/19/2004 7:21:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Cleaning:

Run a wet (CLP) patch down the barrel, let it soak while you clean and relube the lower.  

Run the brush (with a little CLP dripped on it) through from the chamber end, not the muzzle, when the brush emerges from the muzzle, unscrew the brush and pull the rod back out.  Repeat 5 or 6 times.

DO clean the chamber and locking lugs with the M16 brush.  I mount the brush on a few rod sections, chuck up in my cordless Black and Decker, and hit each chamber a few seconds.

Let sit while you clean the bolt carrier.

Hose out the chamber/barrel extension with Gun scrubber.

Run 4 dry patches through the barrel.

That's enough.  

Trying to get a barrel perfectly clean, patches come out perfectly clean, is a waste of time and totally unnecessary.  Excessive brushing of the barrel is also unnecessary.

If the rifle is to be put away now, run one oily patch through the bore, wipe it around in the chamber, too.  Before you shoot, run a dry patch in the chamber and bore.

----

Barrel breakin:

Clean the barrel before going to the range for the first time.  In fact, clean the entire rifle, lube it well.  You never know what may be in the bore from mfg and shipping.

Shoot 200-300 rounds.

Go home.  Clean rifle as per above.

It's broke in.

No, I don't do the shoot, clean shoot clean, shoot 3, clean, etc.

Link Posted: 7/22/2004 3:18:33 AM EDT
[#4]
What the Free Man said
Link Posted: 7/22/2004 4:14:50 AM EDT
[#5]
The way I broke in my new chrome-lined bushy was as follows:

1. Brought new gun home.
2. Fondled till I was able to go to range
3. Ran 1 clean patch to make sure bore was clear
4. Shot the PISS out of it at range
5. Went home put in safe and drank bear
6. start back at 1
7. now that barrel is broke in I do the regular cleaning

Link Posted: 7/22/2004 5:19:18 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/22/2004 5:01:49 PM EDT
[#7]
From the master barrel maker Gale McMillan:

"The break in fad was started by a fellow I helped get started in the barrel business . He started putting a set of break in instructions in ever barrel he shipped. One came into the shop to be installed and I read it and the next time I saw him I asked him What was with this break in crap?. His answer was 'Mac, My share of the market is about 700 barrels a year. I cater to the target crowd and they shoot a barrel about 3000 rounds before they change it. If each one uses up 100 rounds of each barrel breaking it in you can figure out how many more barrels I will get to make each year. '

"If you will stop and think that the barrel doesn't know whether you are cleaning it every shot or every 5 shots and if you are removing all foreign material that has been deposited in it since the last time you cleaned it what more can you do? When I ship a barrel I send a recommendation with it that you clean it ever chance you get with a brass brush pushed through it at least 12 times with a good solvent and followed by two and only 2 soft patches. This means if you are a bench rest shooter you clean ever 7 or 8 rounds . If you are a high power shooter you clean it when you come off the line after 20 rounds. If you follow the fad of cleaning every shot for X amount and every 2 shots for X amount and so on the only thing you are accomplishing is shortening the life of the barrel by the amount of rounds you shot during this process. I always say Monkey see Monkey do, now I will wait on the flames but before you write them, Please include what you think is happening inside your barrel during break in that is worth the expense and time you are spending during break in..."

Take it fwiw, but you can't argue this guy's creds.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top