Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/28/2004 11:33:08 AM EDT
I've been playing around with the mini SPR upper idea and here is my latest project in progress.  This one leans more toward the Mod 1 version.

Specs are:

No-name milspec receiver
Postban 16" Bushmaster HBAR barrel threaded for a flash hider
KAC low profile gas block
DD 9.5 FF tube with low profile ladder style rail covers (courtesy of ADCO - Thanks alot Steve!)
KAC rail mounted bipod stud
Custom build, Ops Inc. compatible functioning flash hider

This one should be on the range this weekend.

PRI Gas Buster, MR/T scope and bipod were borrowed from my full length SPR for the photo op (this is the way I hope it ends up some day, but funding won't allow a second MR/T right now).

I also built this mini-SPR awhile back.  This one is based more on the Mod 0 version.

Specs on this are:

Anchor Harvey forged receiver (don't know who finished it)
Armalite midlength chrome lined gov't profile barrel
PRI midlength tube (courtesy of JTAC Supply - Thanks Jason!)
PRI front flip sight/gas block
Tac-latch charging handle
Advanced Armament "flash compensator" (that's what they call it) - designed to be used with their M4-2000 sound supressor
Troy rear BUIS
This is the permanent home for my ACOG NSN

This one I've shot a couple times so far and it functions perfectly and handles well.  Semi-rested I can keep groups in the 1 1/2-2" grouping and offhand I can keep all on a paper plate sized target at 100 yds.  I plan on shooting it with a bipod and buttstock rest to see exactly how accurate it can be.
Link Posted: 5/28/2004 2:27:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Wow nice!  I'd like to get that flash hider, who made it for you?
Link Posted: 5/28/2004 3:19:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Damn nice upper. Basically the same concept as the NSW Recon rifles that the teams have been using for years. A 16" precision or enhanced marksman carbine. I've started a similiar project using one of the group buy Bushmaster heavy 1/7 barrels and a LMT upper.  Sadly mine has to wait till our Blackwater tactical class is over.  
Link Posted: 5/28/2004 4:19:21 PM EDT
[#3]
I found this upper with the custom flash hider on ebay but it had a Hogue overmolded free float tube on it.  I bought it from a guy who works at or owns a company called Mathewson Tool Company in Redwood Estates, CA.  I asked him if the flash hider was a one time project or some type of R&D going on - he said it was a one time thing.  Anyway, it was one of those things I had to have, so I made sure I got it.  Considering places like ADCO want $100 for a nonoperational decoration like I have on my 18" SPR upper, I got a pretty decent deal on the upper as a whole and I am using the receiver and Bushy barrel on this upper, so the only thing not useful was the Hogue float tube and the FSB.

I plan on putting on a set of Troy BUIS when funds allow.  I wanted a FF tube that would allow the longest sight radius with rail mounted BUIS and I had to hunt to find a DD 9.5 as DD had discontinued production of the 9.5 and replaced it with the DD 9.0.  Steve at ADCO was kind enough to give me a decent price on this DD 9.5 so jumped on it.  I could have gone with a KAC middy FF (10" long vs the DD 9.5 which is, you guessed it, is 9.5" long), but the price for the DD 9.5 made me pass up on the extra 1/2" of sight radius that the KAC would have given me.  Plus I have small hands, so the DD rails are the best fit for me.

Can't wait to shoot it.!
Link Posted: 5/28/2004 5:49:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Dude, where did youfind that fu*king scope. Been looking all over for one!
Link Posted: 5/28/2004 5:53:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Scope came from ARFCOM member, CornFedHusker IIRC.  He parted out his new SPR upper and I got a decent deal on it with the ARMS throw lever mounts.  Just what I needed to top off my SPR upper.
Link Posted: 5/28/2004 6:38:22 PM EDT
[#6]
I have an upper enroute from Wes at MSTn next week. I got the Leupold MR/T M3 scope without the illuminated reticle. It will be FS as soon as I can replace it with one of those!
Link Posted: 5/28/2004 6:51:39 PM EDT
[#7]
I built my SPR upper myself.  Haven't added it up yet, but I have probably saved about $300-400 doing it myself (based on listed prices I've seen for MSTN uppers), but I have to patiently wait for parts to come available.  And I'm NOT PATIENT!  

Still missing BUIS, proper bipod and I really don't need it, but a true MSTN supplied SPR would have a better bolt carrier than I have, but the barrel came with a fitted bolt, so I used that with a RR enhanced carrier and it works great.

Link Posted: 5/28/2004 10:41:31 PM EDT
[#8]
nice!
Link Posted: 5/29/2004 6:02:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 5/29/2004 7:03:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Oh, I see.  Then the Les Baer custom bolt carrier supplied by MSTN is an "upgrade".

Do real SPRs have feed ramps?  Mine does - only because the best receiver I had to build it with was an Armalite with feed ramps, so I extended them onto the barrel extension.

Oh, ya - I have the "decorative" brake on my full lenght SPR, so I'm "close, but no cigar".

ONE MORE Q:  Is there any benefit to putting a D-Fender in my bolt?  I am a 99.9% target shooter and the other 0.1% of the time, I am a SHTF Zombie killer.  I also plan on running some custom reloads through the upper.
Link Posted: 5/29/2004 7:59:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 5/30/2004 12:49:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top