Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/11/2003 8:19:35 PM EDT
Those of you who were befuddled by my last post about a 3Gun AR-15 will likely enjoy this one too.

I just got a new AR-15 from JP Enterprises primarily for 3Gun and "field course" shooting. It's their CTR-02 model which has a custom upper and lower machined from 7075 billet. 20" medium-contour barrel, 1-in-8" twist, low-mass bolt carrier, 3lb match trigger, all the goodies.

[Larger image]

Looks good and shoots better. Break-in yielded multiple "one hole" groups at 100 yards with Black Hills 75gr HPBT. The big Leupold scope is just on there for testing; for 3Gun it'll wear a TA11 ACOG.

[Larger image]

-z
Link Posted: 12/11/2003 9:13:53 PM EDT
[#1]
More features:
Adjustable Gas Block:

Offset tac-rail for short-range iron sight or JPoint/Doctor:

IAI - Integral ACOG Interface (the slot & holes in the upper).  I'm not using it with the TA11.

Oversized Magwell and solid trigger guard floor

Muzzle comp

Hidden dovetails on lower receiver

Machined lightening cuts in upper.  Note how much extra "beef" is in the upper/lower interface area.

-z
Link Posted: 12/12/2003 8:45:28 AM EDT
[#2]
what accessories actually fit the hidden dovetails?
Link Posted: 12/12/2003 8:50:18 AM EDT
[#3]
armax,

No idea.  I haven't seen anyone use them yet.

-z
Link Posted: 12/12/2003 9:01:58 AM EDT
[#4]
very slick AR by the way.  Great acquisition!
Link Posted: 12/12/2003 9:47:58 AM EDT
[#5]
Since the lower doesn't have cracking or structural integrity problems, why make it so beefy, then have to lighten it?  If a standard AR lower receiver can be used with .50 cal uppers, it can surely handle a .223 without extra strengthening [>:/]
Also mounting an ACOG directly on the upper probably wouldn't give you a good cheekweld, it's gonna be too low.
It looks like a nice setup, I just don't completely agree with all the "fixes" for problems that don't exist.
Link Posted: 12/12/2003 10:54:28 AM EDT
[#6]
The walls of the upper and lower where they meet are much thicker than your average AR15.  I'd estimate about 0.2" (at work now, can't measure).  I believe this contributes to the "tightness" of the rifle.

The upper is the part with the cuts, not the lower.  I'm not sure why they did this -- they look like lightening cuts to me.   Since there is no forward assist nor port door, there are fewer steel parts in the upper, so it ends up about the same weight as a standard upper, I think.  

The bolt carrier is also "lightweight" (designed for match only) which allows less gas to be required for operation (tunable with gas block).  Admittedly the LW bolt carrier isn't a "duty" or SHTF item.

Re: IAI/ACOG mounting, you should try it before you condemn it.  With the ACOG (TA01/31/11) mounted directly to the IAI, its center axis is really close to the height of standard A2 iron sights.  

-z
Link Posted: 12/12/2003 7:08:11 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm surprised they didn't use their better-known brake, that big round one that is supposed to be great for follow-up shots.  Is yours a newer, improved design?
Link Posted: 12/12/2003 7:12:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Wow, yours is designed by Bennie Cooley!
[url]http://www.jprifles.com/BennieCooleyEliminator.shtml[/url]
Interesting reading.  Wonder how it compares to the OPS 4-port.  That was on the list for my future SPRbine.
Link Posted: 12/12/2003 9:03:33 PM EDT
[#9]
It's a work of art, IMHO.
Link Posted: 12/12/2003 9:55:32 PM EDT
[#10]
I was at the range this past Wednesday and saw a similar JP AR. It had an ACOG that had a different reticle from JP. I was very impressed. It was one hell of a shooter.
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 7:25:43 AM EDT
[#11]
Awesome rifle! Is the lower the Diamond Mfgr brand that Brownell's carries?
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 8:32:21 AM EDT
[#12]
No, it's a JP lower.

If you visually compare the Diamond/SOCOM lower to the JP lower you see that where the receiver extension tube screws in, the JP has a more blocky look, and the JP has the dovetail interfaces cut on the outside of the magwell.
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 9:05:43 AM EDT
[#13]
OK, let me figure this out...

[banghead]

when you say 3-gun ar-15 you mean one weapon that has 3 uppers, or do you mean a 3 gun competition involving pistol, rifle and shotgun?

[>:/]
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 10:43:37 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 2:40:31 PM EDT
[#15]
This rifle will shoot half-inch groups at 220 yards if I do my part.

Kisara,

Yeah, it's the BC comp.   I've found this one to be quite effective.  The muzzle doesn't move at all.

Porta,

John's ACOG reticle, the TA01-JP, is calibrated for 75/77gr out of a 1:8" 20" barrel using either the IAI mount or the TA51 mount, calculated for something like 3000' elevation.   If you like the TA01, the TA01-JP might be a good choice.   Now if he'd just get a version of the TA11 made up...

-z
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 9:43:03 AM EDT
[#16]
Zak,
Congrats' on the CTR.  It is truly a work of art!  I too have been contemplating buying a JP rifle.  Their accuracy is legendary.  My only remaining questions regard reliability and customer service.  Any input you have in those areas would be greatly appreciated.  In the mean time you are the "alpha male" at the range. [:D]
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 2:58:45 PM EDT
[#17]
atrdriver1,

I've had absolutely no reliability problems with the CTR so far.  In fact, no failures whatsoever.  Every round has fed and fired perfectly.  

I have noticed that my CTR does run a little dirtier than my Rock River.  It may be the low-mass bolt having an effect or that I lube the CTR more.  Not sure yet.

As for service, John and the rest of the team are great to deal with, and serious shooters also.

-z
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 5:11:37 PM EDT
[#18]
Thanks Zak.  I have posted requests for opinions on JP and so far you are the only guy with any experience I have found on ar15.com.
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 6:45:34 PM EDT
[#19]
Mine is a 18" otherwise a copy of yours and it also has functioned flawlessley since day one.The LMOS does require more attension to cleaning ,but only what we should always do anyway.
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 7:02:41 PM EDT
[#20]
girard,

I would have bought the 18" [b]if[/i] they made the 1:8" twist barrel in the ultralight barrel.

With the lube that came in the rifle, it was very dirty.  With the "right" amount of FP10, it's much cleaner.

-z
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 7:43:41 PM EDT
[#21]
fine weapon.  I'm sure it will suit your needs beyond expectation.  Anyone who has a negative remark is either jealous or just plain ignorant.  Have fun!
Link Posted: 1/4/2004 7:31:54 PM EDT
[#22]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top