Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/11/2003 2:58:57 PM EDT
Link Posted: 11/11/2003 3:29:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Thanks Troy, I called Bushmaster and ordered one this afternoon!

Link Posted: 11/12/2003 6:32:25 AM EDT
[#2]
This sounds interesting.  I would like to use such a barrel with a midlength DD FFRAS. Does bushmaster make a gas block that would fit under this forend? if not, what is the barrel diameter at the gas port?

thanks
Link Posted: 11/14/2003 12:12:42 PM EDT
[#3]
I have been following this site for about 2 months now.

there is a lot of good information on herel

Today I became a contibuting member.

But now I must say I am embarrassed by all the talkers - I called Bushmaster and ordered my "Troy barrel". Jerrod told me that I was the 13th person to order 1 of these barrels.

COME ON GUYS WE HAVE A MANUFACTURER THAT IS WILLING TO WORK WITH US IF WE WILL ONLY SHOW OUR SUPPORT - ARE YOU GUYS ALL TALK OR ARE YOU GONNA SHOW WHAT YOU REALLY ARE MADE OF?????

It is our economic support that counts in these situations not our verbage.

NTXYANKEE
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 10:06:15 AM EDT
[#4]
Is it barrel assembly only? Handguards? Delta ring? Whats the price and shipping?
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 10:49:43 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Is it barrel assembly only? Handguards? Delta ring? Whats the price and shipping?
View Quote

From the third page fo the [url=http://www.jobrelatedstuff.com/forums/topic.html?b=2&f=28&t=139428&page=3]main thread[/url]:

I am putting a timeline on this offering, and the last day will be Wednesday December 31, 2003 5p.m.

I have brought this Poll to Management, and have got them to agree to run Post-Ban 16" Hvy 1x7 twist barrels. We will do this as a special run, but I need a minimum of 200 barrels. Give me a call & I'll start taking orders. No guarantee this will happen unless we get the 200 qty. I did my part, now lets see you do yours! Here is the "Special" pricing:

Barrel only- $166.25
Barrel Assy- $189.95
A2 Upper w/o Bolt & C/H- $375.25
A2 Upper W/Bolt & C/H- $508.25

Add-on 11/12 **PWKA2S 161x7 $627.00 (Weapons Kit, everything minus a lower receiver.) **

*For A3 Configuration Add $94.95 (for handle, flat top is no extra charge)

*Shipping will be $13.50 on any one of the above.*

Link Posted: 11/19/2003 5:02:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Going deer hunting for the next two weeks, but when I get back, I'll order one for sure, maybe two if the funds allow.  Will place order first week in December.  Thanks for the effort to make this opportunity possible.
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 5:48:56 PM EDT
[#7]
I have an 1989 Colt 1-7 16" barrel that came off a Govt Carbine. Has bayo lug, Original Colt hand guards, gas tube and original a2 flash hider. I would rate the barrel at 95%. Finish and bore is excellent. $250 gets it. U pay for shipping. I am in TX if anyone wants it. Email if interested. GC
Link Posted: 11/27/2003 10:18:20 AM EDT
[#8]
The big question is, is the bore chrome lined?
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 3:57:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
The barrel configuration will be:

16" HBAR, 1:7, plain muzzle, standard carbine gas system (BM does not make mid-length setups).  Like all standard BM barrels, this will be 4150 steel, [u]fully chrome-lined,[/u] forged front sight, etc.
View Quote
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 5:00:37 PM EDT
[#10]
im order number 25.  called today at 1300hrs more or less...

lets get going guys.  pass the word around...

david
Link Posted: 1/23/2004 8:26:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Troy,I'm a 1/7 kind of guy,I have a number of HBAR's in 1/7,and 1 Bull barrel match in 1/8,BUT,all of my barrels are at least 20" long,WHAT AM I GOING TO LOSE IN ACCURACY W/A 16" BARREL?? THANKS.  if all info points to an accurate weapon,I'll put in my order.  
Link Posted: 1/24/2004 3:49:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 1/24/2004 5:55:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
The big question is, is the bore chrome lined?
View Quote

Yes.
Link Posted: 1/28/2004 2:37:25 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Barrel length has virtually nothing to do with accuracy, at least not until you're out beyond 500m, and that's because the shorter barrel will reduce VELOCITY, and at longer distances, the same bullet fired from a shorter barrel will take longer to get there, and will be affected more by both gravity and wind.  Gravity is a known quantity and can be compensated for (elevation adjustment), but wind is much more difficult to adjust for.
View Quote

Yes, to a point.  When a bullet contacts with the bore of your rifle, friction is acting on it.  Of course the pressure produced by the burning powder charge that sends your bullets down your barrel is more than enough to rapidly accelerate them in spite of this friction.  That being said, AFTER the powder is completely burned, there is no longer anything propelling said bullet…and if it’s still in the barrel, its velocity will be negatively affected by friction.  Just making a barrel longer isn't an end in itself when it comes to velocity.  I shoot a lot of 10mm...in fact, all my handguns are 10mms (yes, I’m obsessed).  I was once going to get a custom 10mm barrel made for a TC encore carbine I used to own and in that process I found myself learning how to calculate propellent/friction equasions so that I could determine the best barrel length for the amounts and types of powder I was using...

Anyway, my point is, while I can only assume that there is still some "push" being given by the powder charge of a military-spec 5.56 round all the way down a 20" barrel (ala the M-16 A2)... you will not increase the velocity of say Federal X193 by firing it from a 30" barrel (for example) since during the last 10" or so of it (my guess) your bullets would actually be suffering from friction without the aid of any buring powder to push them along...

Long winded I know...but that's my $0.02.  
Link Posted: 2/2/2004 3:31:00 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Yes, to a point.  When a bullet contacts with the bore of your rifle, friction is acting on it.  Of course the pressure produced by the burning powder charge that sends your bullets down your barrel is more than enough to rapidly accelerate them in spite of this friction.  That being said, AFTER the powder is completely burned, there is no longer anything propelling said bullet…and if it’s still in the barrel, its velocity will be negatively affected by friction.  Just making a barrel longer isn't an end in itself when it comes to velocity.  I shoot a lot of 10mm...in fact, all my handguns are 10mms (yes, I’m obsessed).  I was once going to get a custom 10mm barrel made for a TC encore carbine I used to own and in that process I found myself learning how to calculate propellent/friction equasions so that I could determine the best barrel length for the amounts and types of powder I was using...

Anyway, my point is, while I can only assume that there [red]is still some "push" being given by the powder charge of a military-spec 5.56 round all the way down a 20" barrel (ala the M-16 A2)... you will not increase the velocity of say Federal X193 by firing it from a 30" barrel (for example) since during the last 10" or so of it (my guess) your bullets would actually be suffering from friction without the aid of any buring powder to push them along...[/red]

Long winded I know...but that's my $0.02.  
View Quote

Well, since regular gun manufacturers produce .223 barrels in 26" for most of their target guns, I'm pretty sure you won't get any friction loss in the last 4 inches going to a 30" barrel.  

This ain't no .22 rimfire here, which *I Believe* achieves maximum velocity in an 18-16" tube.  It certainly isn't a colibri, which is dangerous to shoot out of longer barreled guns, due to the projectile actually getting lodged in the barrel.   This  is a .223, which is uually loaded to around 55,000 psi, or 60,000 cup (or something around those numbers)  I'm willing to bet $100 that a .223 (military load like M193) will still increase through 28", i'm not sure about the last two inches necessary to make 30".   I'll call that a strong hunch that it is still increasing.

the .308, which is hardly a magnum, is regularly chambered in 30" barrels for Palma, where every last bit of velocity helps a 155 grain bullet make it to 1000 yards.

Link Posted: 2/2/2004 3:35:24 PM EDT
[#16]
Is this still a possibility? I may get one if a run is made.
Link Posted: 2/2/2004 3:38:39 PM EDT
[#17]
.22lr maxes at 16 inches.

.223 burns almost all of its powder in 20 inches. Gain at 26 inches is 120FPS over 20", or roughly so.
Link Posted: 2/2/2004 11:20:15 PM EDT
[#18]
I don't think it really matters at what point the powder is "completely" burned.   I don't think you will ever achieve anything close to 100% powder burn, and i don't think it matters.    What does matter is pressure, and only pressure, on the positive side.   Friction and inertia are about the only thing that matters on the negative side.  Pressure pushes the bullet, and may have a relation to amount of powder being burned, but it may not after a point.  

Link Posted: 2/8/2004 8:35:48 PM EDT
[#19]
Howdy guys, this is my first post at ar15, although I have been lurking for quite a while.

I am interested in getting a 1:7 16" HBAR but am not yet at the point where I can order it. Just curious to see what it would be like, and how many orders we are up to currently.

I take it this barrel would be like [url]http://www.bushmaster.com/shopping/barrel-assemblies/pbbl-16a.asp[/url] with the only difference being the 1:7 twist?

By the way, I am a complete AR15 rifle newbie, so if I say something stupid please do let me know. [:D]
Link Posted: 2/19/2004 10:56:49 AM EDT
[#20]
UPDATE IN THE BUSHMASTER FORUM....

CEO has decided to make a run on all orders placed before end of the month!!!  That means if we only make it to 50 orders, or 20 orders, or whatever....Bushmaster will still produce that amount for the select few individuals!!

This means if you place an order, you're guaranteed a Bushmaster 1/7" HBAR!!!

Get your orders in!!

Max
Link Posted: 2/19/2004 10:46:36 PM EDT
[#21]
cool.   I think i might order one or two, now.

oh- are these barrels in the white, or parked?

Link Posted: 2/21/2004 9:00:24 AM EDT
[#22]
Looks like I might have to order early. Which might be a problem: does one need a licence to own firearms in order to buy a barrel? If so, I will have to wait a bit longer.
Link Posted: 2/22/2004 12:13:54 PM EDT
[#23]
I ordered two...
Link Posted: 2/22/2004 6:30:48 PM EDT
[#24]
I am very interested in ordering one of these but I have a question.  I want one in a M4 profile.  Who can do this?  I mean, specifically who can do this and then apply the same type of coating as the original Bushmaster, i.e., I need some names and maybe a website or two.  I would not trust any local gunsmith to do this any further than I could throw them.  The second question is, could Bushmaster do this at an additional fee by just throwing it in with their other blanks that will be turned down to a M4 profile?
Link Posted: 2/23/2004 5:59:57 AM EDT
[#25]
Kurt at [url=http://www.kurtskustomfirearms.citymax.com/catalog/item/29585/1132.htm]KKF[/url] can turn it into an M4.
Link Posted: 2/23/2004 6:01:48 AM EDT
[#26]
Many choices....but two off of the top of my head, you can find them in the Industry Forum:

Kurt's Kustom Firearms
ADCO Firearms (with known quick turnaround)

Hope this helps.  FWIW, Bushmaster is selling the HBAR ONLY....any other perks are on you to figure out.  Good Luck.

Max
Link Posted: 2/23/2004 10:56:56 AM EDT
[#27]
Thanks for the reply guys.
Link Posted: 2/24/2004 3:25:52 AM EDT
[#28]
OK, I can use some advice here. I have a stripped lower that I am putting the parts into right now. I am having some problems with the roll pins, but I'll get it done somehow. I am now looking to get an upper and buttstock. And this looks like an opportunity to get a 1:7 barrelled upper which is otherwise hard to come by. My question is...

[b]Do I really need a 1:7? I have heard that 1:9 is the optimum twist from some, while others say 1:8 is better. And here you are are jumping through hoops to get your hands on a 1:7. How much difference is there?[/b] I plan to shoot factory loads and surplus stuff (for cheap practice).
Link Posted: 2/24/2004 5:59:38 AM EDT
[#29]
If you'll only ever shoot ammo 68/69gr or lighter (including 62gr M855), then the 1/9 will work fine and save you a few bucks.  If you think you might ever want to shoot the 75/77gr ammo (like the new Mk262 ammo the military is ordering for SF), then you'll neeed a 1/8 or 1/7.
Link Posted: 2/24/2004 1:03:51 PM EDT
[#30]
dwight,

I am going through the same decision-making process right now for the dream AR I am building for 3-gun matches, formal training, and practice.  I decided to go with the 1/7 in case I want to reach out and touch targets at 600 yards or more.
Link Posted: 2/24/2004 10:28:27 PM EDT
[#31]
I know that as you increase twist, you bias the level of stabilization towards heavier bullets. The question is will the difference between a 1:7 and a 1:8 be significant even if you shoot the 75 grainers? Also, for an all purpose rifle, is a 1:8 a better compromise since it'll shoot the 55 grainers acceptably. In fact will the 1:7 shoot the 55 grainers acceptably?
Link Posted: 2/25/2004 5:39:50 AM EDT
[#32]
The 1/7 will shoot 55gr fine, unless you're expecting varmint-type accuracy at really long ranges.  

The problem you have with over-stabilization is that at long ranges the bullet path is pointed downward, but the bullet is still facing level so it's not pointed in the direction of travel.  A less overstabilized bullet would be able to turn into the airflow.  
Link Posted: 3/1/2004 8:31:57 AM EDT
[#33]
so, this being the first of march, are these going into production now?

one thread said all orders placed thru the end of the month (february)  i hope so....

david
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top