Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/19/2002 6:05:15 AM EDT
I've heard that many people have a low opinion of the Hesse AR-15s, but there's not a lot of data out there on what specifically is supposed to be wrong with them. I have had a Hesse HAR-15 for a few years and have had zero problems (except for those related to the magazines that still have the black followers - a situation I've fixed on every mag I own).

I sent an e-mail to Clint McKee of Fulton Armory, who basically said, "if it hasn't broken yet, that's a positive sign."

So, what's the story on this?
Link Posted: 12/20/2002 11:27:52 AM EDT
[#1]
Anyone?
Link Posted: 12/20/2002 11:42:17 AM EDT
[#2]
I have seen a FEW of their offerings that LOOK pretty nice. But then again, they really frown if you get a fingerprint on one of them at a show.

I have also seen a few of their items that look terrible.

My main reason for crapping on their parade is that the carbon fiber AR lower receiver they offer really lacks substantial reinforcements to be considered "well thought out". It should be a lot beefier in the buffer tube ring and down through the sides, in my educated opinion.

Cavarms has a better, more thought-out product.
Link Posted: 12/20/2002 12:06:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Okay, so it's not a catastrophic failure issue, in your experience? Mine has an aluminum receiver, so I can't speak for the carbon fiber stuff. Looks pretty spiffy, too. [:D]
Link Posted: 12/20/2002 1:09:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Jaybo --

Sometimes, even with Hesse you get a good one.  Heck I see Chevy trucks on the road every day, so the same effect must happen there too! (Lets see what [b]that[/b] starts..... [;)]).

-- Chuck
Link Posted: 12/20/2002 9:07:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/21/2002 12:51:15 AM EDT
[#6]
Look, keep this in mind.  While I have no specific information about the Hesse AR-15's, I have a lot of experience with his other products/receivers.  When I was still a gun dealer, many of these passed through my hands.  They were invariably all crap; out of tolerance, not manufactured to specs, warped, twisted, altered, and just bad manufacturing.  Function rate was about 20%.  I had a 90%+ return rate on his products.  I am still saddled with three of them I can't sell as functional.  Do yourself a favor, and pass.  The Hesse AR-15 may be a good product (yeah, right!), but due to my experience with all his other stuff I would never buy anything he manufactured (or had others manufacture), nor would I ever recommend anyone else buy it.  This is just mine and my customer's experience.  Good luck to you.

What do I really think of Hesse products?  [puke]
Link Posted: 12/21/2002 6:45:54 AM EDT
[#7]
Well, I guess now I understand all the negativity. Mine seems to work all right, and it's been checked by a gunsmith buddy, so I'll hang on to it and see what happens. Thanks for the insight, and the next ones won't be Hesse. Sounds like I'd be pushing my luck...
Link Posted: 12/22/2002 2:48:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Well, I guess now I understand all the negativity. Mine seems to work all right, and it's been checked by a gunsmith buddy, so I'll hang on to it and see what happens. Thanks for the insight, and the next ones won't be Hesse. Sounds like I'd be pushing my luck...
View Quote

I got an upper from them a few years ago.  They lost my money order, and I had to research it on MY dime just to clear up their mistake.  When I got it, it looked like hell.  The Bayonet lug was ground off and un-finnished. Out of fear of another screwup on their end I just kept it and wrote it off as lessons learned.  Earlier this year a hairline crack formed in the cast (read NOT MIL-SPEC) front sight base resulting in gas leakage and shortstroking of the action.  I got that fixed and am back in business.  If yours works it probably always will do ok.  Just don't be surprised by little things going wrong with it.

Regards, Jon
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top