BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/23/2017 8:57:24 PM EDT
Hey guys, totally new to this forum so I hope I am posting in the right place.

Relatively new to guns, have shot a bunch, but this is my first rifle.  I am a newbie.  Did months of research and decided on  a Colt 6920 and picked one up at my local gun store.  I asked if it was factory new and they said yes.  After cleaning it, I posted pics of it on another forum, being concerned about a few dings but I didn't want to let my paranoia get the best of me.  I was told by that forum, and close family, that it was in fact not a new gun.

Here are just a few dings I am concerned about.

Pretty unhappy at the moment.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 8:59:35 PM EDT
[#1]
They look like handling marks. I wouldn't say that's not new. How's the bore and chamber?
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 8:59:35 PM EDT
[#2]
It's not a beauty queen it's a rifle, get over it and shoot it
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 9:10:41 PM EDT
[#3]
You'll put worse on it with a day of heavy shooting and carrying, especially in brushy areas. Don't worry about it- you won't be the one to put the first dings in the rifle.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 9:12:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Hey guys, totally new to this forum so I hope I am posting in the right place.

Relatively new to guns, have shot a bunch, but this is my first rifle.  I am a newbie.  Did months of research and decided on  a Colt 6920 and picked one up at my local gun store.  I asked if it was factory new and they said yes.  After cleaning it, I posted pics of it on another forum, being concerned about a few dings but I didn't want to let my paranoia get the best of me. I was told by that forum, and close family, that it was in fact not a new gun.

http://i66.tinypic.com/nehqb9.jpg

http://i64.tinypic.com/2aew3ue.jpg

http://i66.tinypic.com/2s8mnlz.jpg

http://i68.tinypic.com/w6s5l4.jpg

Here are just a few dings I am concerned about.

Pretty unhappy at the moment.
View Quote

The don't know what they are talking about.  It looks like rack wear.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 9:14:27 PM EDT
[#5]
I wouldn't even know what to look for, or how to check the bore, but the chamber looks clean.

I think the thing that bothers me the most is the muzzle brake being off center

http://i68.tinypic.com/sd08aq.jpg
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 9:18:01 PM EDT
[#6]
knew it was a colt before opening the thread lol

op - thats not bad for a colt, it could have been much worse.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 9:23:25 PM EDT
[#7]
That really is not bad.
I have similar 'assembly marks' on my Colt 6921 and a bit less on my KAC rifles.
You shouldn't worry about it.
You might see similar 'assembly marks' from other manufacturers.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 9:27:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Post pictures of the barrel markings.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 9:28:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
knew it was a colt before opening the thread lol

op - thats not bad for a colt, it could have been much worse.
View Quote
LoL. Same here.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 9:30:51 PM EDT
[#10]
That's nothing. Looks brand new to me. One thing to remember is that it's a tool. Use it and abuse it.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 9:31:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I wouldn't even know what to look for, or how to check the bore, but the chamber looks clean.

View Quote
Not a brake, just your standard A2 FH.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 9:31:40 PM EDT
[#12]
in the future, look your guns over carefully before filling out the 4473.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 9:34:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Normal for a Colt.  

Butthurt is normal for a noob. 

There is probably more you haven't found yet.  You may want to make sure your valium and fentanyl prescriptions are topped off.  

Shoot the fucking thing. That is what they were made for. 
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 9:37:20 PM EDT
[#14]
Break it down and look at the bolt and thru the barrel into a bright light.

Look from the chamber to the muzzle.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 9:43:58 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote
What exactly should I be looking for?

And thanks for the posts guys.  I think I feel a bit better about it.  I just want to be able to trust my gun shop, you know?  I wanna spend my cash locally, I could easily go to gunbroker or a number of other places.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 9:44:38 PM EDT
[#16]
If you shoot it, you might put more marks on it.

Would you rather have an AR that was test fired and works and may have a few tiny little marks on it or one that is purdy and runs like a 20 year old Hundai owned by A 17 year old teenage girl?
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 9:46:08 PM EDT
[#17]
You're looking to see obvious carbon or marks related to it being previously shot.

Post pics if necessary.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 9:46:37 PM EDT
[#18]
It's a combat rifle, not a fancy sporting rifle. Marks like that on a fancy rifle would bother me, but not an M4. Like others said, just go shoot it. Colt's are kind of know for this, but it's never stopped me from buying them.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 9:46:39 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
They look like handling marks. I wouldn't say that's not new.
View Quote
This.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 9:50:34 PM EDT
[#20]
Didn't get the answers you were looking for in your first post?  
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 9:51:29 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

This.
View Quote
As an owner of 4 of those, that looks in great shape for a new Colt.  Shoot it, it's a tool.

2 years from now when you have 5 ARs, you won't give a shit about a few scratches.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 9:54:10 PM EDT
[#22]
choot it
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 9:58:07 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote
That slot isn't required to be in line with the front sight.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 10:03:15 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote
Picture gives me the willies..
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 10:03:28 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote
No

No toes
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 10:07:17 PM EDT
[#26]
How can I get pics of inside the bore?  I will post pics of the chamber tomorrow, but it looks good.  

Thanks for all the posts bros.  I feel like I should have bought a Daniel defense with the amount of money I'm considering spending to mod this...

Should I mod it?  I want a handguard, optics, maybe a buttstock.  If yes, recommendations?  Scope or red dot?  Will I have to take down the front sight?
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 10:17:06 PM EDT
[#27]
Welcome to Colt rifles.

You will be glad you bought one.

Enjoy.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 10:24:12 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote
It's supposed to be off center to the ejection port side to assist in control when rapid firing (full auto or burst fire for a real deal M4).
You purchased one of the highest quality AR15's available, enjoy shooting it!
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 10:38:49 PM EDT
[#29]
The little dings you are seeing are wear marks made by the guy doing the assembly and/or while the parts were stored. Open up the gun and see what it looks like inside.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 10:43:00 PM EDT
[#30]
Send to me for proper disposal.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 10:50:23 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote
That's a new rifle.   Look at the inside of the flash hider there.

It's fine.   A lot of these parts have a lot more handling at the factory for specific reasons.  

If you want something magazine-cover pretty with the same QA and parts quality, you're going to pay a few hundred more.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 11:02:25 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
It's not a beauty queen it's a rifle, get over it and shoot it
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 11:13:38 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
You're looking to see obvious carbon or marks related to it being previously shot.

Post pics if necessary.
View Quote
They do put just a couple rounds through it at the factory, so it will show signs of being shot.

OP, I wouldn't modify that gun. If this is your first AR, don't do anything except shoot 3-4k rounds through it.
AFTER all that shooting, you'll have a much better idea of what you really want. Right now, assuming this is your first AR, how are you going to pick parts? What looks cool and what other people like?
When you know what you like, then BUILD the next one exactly how you want it.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 11:27:03 PM EDT
[#34]
Looks just fine to me for a Colt..
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 11:32:26 PM EDT
[#35]
Congrats on the new AR!

As the other guys said, take a good look at the bolt face, hammer face, etc.  Should give you an idea if it's been used, but also as mentioned, it's been factory tested so keep that in mind.  I wouldn't be concerned about those small knicks.  You could probably also call Colt and have them give you the serial number info, at least when it was produced.  Might give you some peace of mind.

I've never owned a Colt, except the ones I shot in the Army, and those definitely looked used  Yours does not look concerning.  If it really bothers you, contact the shop.  Maybe they can offer a small compensation.  I bought a "blemished" lower recevier recently for $10 less than regular.  It had one tiny mark, about the size of the one on your rail, and I wouldn't have even batted an eye if I paid normal price.

Have yourself a wine bottle, and enjoy the new rifle.  Get ready to spend money on 1 or 2 more.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 11:57:45 PM EDT
[#36]
Pretty normal for a factory built rifle. Colt as said is known for scratch and dent.  Shoot it its a tool not a show piece.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 1:05:02 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote
ideally, for a right handed shooter, the center slot would be at the 10:30 position (viewed from the front) to push the barrel into the support arm instead of straight down
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 2:00:42 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

And thanks for the posts guys.  I think I feel a bit better about it.  I just want to be able to trust my gun shop, you know?  I wanna spend my cash locally, I could easily go to gunbroker or a number of other places.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Look at the feed ramp and see if there's a good amount of coating had came off.  New rifle should have very little, if any, wear in the feed ramp. Your 6920 look new, it ain't pretty like a Daniel Defense but it'll be a tack driver.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 6:49:47 AM EDT
[#39]
Looks new to me. Congradulations on a great out of the box rifle. I got a 6920  a few years ago. Haven't changed a thing. It's perfect the way is came.   What Malibu Barbie add on's was you looking to do ???  Honestly you got a great rifle. A great SHTF rifle. Cheers WarDawg
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 7:28:03 AM EDT
[#40]
looks about normal for a 6920 to me.I don't think ive ever seen a gun come from a gun store that is 100% perfect unless you happen to be there when they open the box and even then its a crap shoot.Its annoying but it seems to be the norm these days
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 8:31:25 AM EDT
[#41]
If you researched for a few months prior to purchasing, you would should have come across at least a few threads/reviews highlighting that Colt's really aren't known for a pristine finish. Your research was correct in buying an AR with a great track record for working right out of the box.

Did you actually open the box yourself or was it one that the store pulled off the shelf? I only ask because rifles/guns that are usually displayed get handled quite a bit and at the LGS I work at, we put up all the rifles in racks at the end of the day prior to locking them all up in the safe. I can tell you from experience, stuff happens and even ones that come flawless from the factory end up with little dings here and there the more they're handled.

Either way, try not to sweat it too much and you'll eventually put more marks on it the more you shoot it. It's not a museum piece so, treat it as such and you're mindset will change over time. I have some really well used AR's and they're not all beat to hell but, they do have wear and tear on them and still look some what presentable.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 8:39:23 AM EDT
[#42]
OP, welcome to the colt Club. My new lower looked like yours with a few more dings. Wasn't happy, but wasn't gonna do anything about it since it didn't affect function at all. Just be thankful that ur upper receiver wasn't purple.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 8:44:07 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote
I believe the QC standard is to be off by no more than 25% of the width of the slot. That looks close. Easy fix if it bothers you.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 9:01:39 AM EDT
[#44]
Could just be a floor model that was handled a few times and maybe someone tried a scope bracket on it as well. All cosmetic so it should be fine.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 9:27:05 AM EDT
[#45]
Looks like my 6920 did when new. Just shoot it OP. 
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 9:37:55 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Send to me for proper disposal.
View Quote
You're such a whore.  You could at least wait until he's drunk before you offer $20 for it
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 10:18:30 AM EDT
[#47]
As mentioned already, there is nothing wrong with that rifle. Minor imperfections are normal, even for a brand new rifle. Stop being so fussy, and go shoot the thing.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 10:38:54 AM EDT
[#48]
I think the word has been out that Colt doesn't make beautiful rifles.  Gotta do a little research before you buy.  If you can get past all of that I am sure it will be a great rifle.  I would want to straighten out that flash hider but that takes a 3/4" wrench and 30 seconds.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 11:01:57 AM EDT
[#49]
@WineBottle  I have a 2016 vintage Colt 6920 purchased new, with similar handling marks.  As others have said, that is typical for Colt.  Great guns, they just don't pay as much attention to preventing handling marks as a BCM, or Daniel Defense.

I would not worry that those marks are some indication of it being used - they aren't.  Good purchase, enjoy it!

*also a note about the A2 FH.  You can time it to 12 o'clock yourself (research how to do this right before jumping into it - barrel vise is your friend), or ask your LGS if they will do it.  OR leave it if you're right handed.  Technically, the A2 timed as it is now at about 2 o'clock is how the A2 was originally intended to be timed for righty's.  In other words, change things if it makes you happy, but don't worry about it, nothing needs to be "fixed" here.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 11:15:03 AM EDT
[#50]
Funny thing about DD being pretty...

I bought an M4V11 Pro for my first and probably only AR.  Pretty except the rail was on a tad crooked, one of the rail screws wasn't torqued, the vertical grip was a tad loose.  No worries, it's at the DD Doctor now.

I appreciate the OP buying locally.  I went through all of the big box stores looking for what I wanted, went to my LGS and saved over $200 bucks.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top