Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/27/2017 3:04:19 PM EDT
Wasn't sure where to post this since the C7 wasn't a retro AR but nor was it an A2

I've heard a lot of conflicting stuff on the C7 in regards to barrel profiles and buttstocks. What profile did they use and did they use an A1 or A2 buttstock?

I know they used a modified A1 upper---it had the shell deflector but retained the A1 sights

Any info would be appreciated. I'd like to do a C7 clone build to go with my other 20in rifles
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 3:33:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I know they used a modified A1 upper---it had the shell deflector but retained the A1 sights
View Quote
The correct term is "field sights", as the feature had been on the M16 long before the A1 revision - in fact since it was just the AR-15 Model 01, and didn't go away until the introduction of the more-adjustable "A2 sights". The same sight system was used earlier by the AR-10.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 8:32:23 PM EDT
[#2]
As I recall - and we are dipping back into 30+ year-old memories now when I was instructing the lead-in training on the new C7 for my battalion - it was described as an M16A1E1 or the M16A1E1/PIP (depending upon who was telling the story).  It had almost all the features of an A2, except that ridiculous burst control and it retained the A1 sights. The barrel was A2 profile - thinner under the hand guards - but of course it was cold hammer-forged. As I recall the pistol grip was A2 style as well.  On the ones issued to us, the upper receivers were Colt manufacture - you could tell by the almost green Parkerising and the CH forge mark.  All the ones we were issued were two-tone like that.    It had the A2 butt-stock.  All furniture was black at that time.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 10:56:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
As I recall - and we are dipping back into 30+ year-old memories now when I was instructing the lead-in training on the new C7 for my battalion - it was described as an M16A1E1 or the M16A1E1/PIP (depending upon who was telling the story).  It had almost all the features of an A2, except that ridiculous burst control and it retained the A1 sights. The barrel was A2 profile - thinner under the hand guards - but of course it was cold hammer-forged. As I recall the pistol grip was A2 style as well.  On the ones issued to us, the upper receivers were Colt manufacture - you could tell by the almost green Parkerising and the CH forge mark.  All the ones we were issued were two-tone like that.    It had the A2 butt-stock.  All furniture was black at that time.
View Quote
Thanks a lot for the info
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 4:15:15 AM EDT
[#4]
I thought they used Colt "CS" stocks -- basically A1 length but made of A2 material.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 7:17:18 AM EDT
[#5]
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_127/556146_Canadian_C7_thread___.html
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 10:36:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I thought they used Colt "CS" stocks -- basically A1 length but made of A2 material.
View Quote
Very possibly - like I said it was 30+ years ago!
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top