Posted: 10/9/2016 6:14:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: chenault]
Upper:
- Colt AF/Armalite M4 if rebuilt off SPR
- Colt Keyhole M4
- Keyhole Forge M4 black or FDE if full upper built by PRI

Barrel:
- Custom spun Heavy/SPR profile mid-gas from unknown blank
- Special Noveske 16" Recon, mid-length gas with custom heavier (~.742") profile in front of gas block for Ops Inc 12th Model, FDE coated (likely Duracoat, could be GunKote or Cerakote)

Gas Block:
- PRI .750 Black

BCG:
- Colt's M16 or other M16 contract replacement

Handguard:
- Precision Reflex 3rd Generation CF FF Handguard, rifle length, FDE [or Black if doing a full black upper but non-Noveske barrel]

CH:
- PRI Gas Buster M84 with military latch, black [Later pattern, no "welded" latch hotdog]
- Badger Ambi CH

Muzzle Device:
- Ops Inc 12th Model Brake and collar, and 12th Model suppressor

Scope Rings:

W/PRI Recce Rail:

- A.R.M.S. #22 Medium

- OPS rings

- Nightforce A107

- Badger 30mm Unimount

No Recce Rail

- LaRue LT-104

- A.R.M.S. #22 High

- Nightforce A203 (XX High) Or A110 (X High)

Bipod:
- Harris BRM-S with PodLoc
* A.R.M.S. #32
* KAC RAS bipod adapter
* LaRue LT-130 QD bipod adapter

- Atlas direct rail mount bipod BT-10
- LaRue LT-706/ Harris BRM-S combo
- VersaPods with ARMS #42 mount [claw or rubber feet]

BUIS:
- Black PRI [rarely if used if at all]
- ARMS #40 Standalone rear

Lower

Rcvr:
- Colt's or GM Hydramatic M16A1 (Anniston Depot markings on some)

Grip:
- A2
- Magpul MIAD
- Tango Down
- Ergo
- Sierra SPR

Trigger:
- Accuracy Speaks Full Auto Match
- KAC Adjustable F/A 2-stage
- Geissele SSF

Selector:
- DPMS Ambidextrous full-auto (old gen, ca 2000-2003 timeframe)
- Standard M16 style

Buttstock:
- ACE SOCOM Carbine or Rifle length - Gens 1-3
- SOPMOD Gen 1 or 2 [black or tan]
- Magpul
* ACS
* PRS
* CTR

Optics:
- Leupold 3-9x36 M3 TS-30A2 Illum Mildot
- Mk4 MR/T 2.5-8x36 M2 (with or without TS-30A2markings), Illuminated MilDot OR TMR reticle
- Leupold Vari-X III 3.5-10x40 LR, M3 turrets, Illuminated Mil-Dot reticle
- FDE Leupold Mk4 3.5-10x40, M2 turrets, Illuminated TMR (ala M110)
- S&B Short-Dot
- Bushnell SMRS 1-8
- Leupold Vari-X III LR M3 with Premier Reticles Gen 2 MilDot conversion [in LT-104 Mount]

Notes:

There are 3 rough iterations of the Mod H:

1)First handful were built at SOTIC armory directly by MSG Holland and another gentleman, using COTS parts ordered from Brownells etc. The one we can see closely had a black Colt Keyhole forged upper, black PRI Gen III handguard rifle length, and a black PRI Recce Rail. The barrel was unmarked, with a heavy/SPR profile, mid-gas, and OPS profile, and coated black. Only 2 of this type have been photographed, one of which may have actually had a Noveske barrel.

2)The second, larger grouping of Hollands were rebuilds of original SPRs. These can be distinguished as they all have FDE Gen III handguards, and retained the upper and lowers from the SPRs, often identified in that the upper and lower have matching worn rattlecan paint but the handguard is unpainted. Often the optics, suppressor, etc matched the upper/lower. These had the Noveske FDE barrels. Non rattlecanned ones you can identify by their uppers being Colt AF forgemark or Armalite (haven't seen one, but likely in the mix).

3)The third iteration apparently were assembled by Precision Reflex, with them supplying new parts for the entire upper. These had Keyhole forge contract uppers coated in FDE, FDE Gen III handguards, FDE Noveske barrels, contract M16 BCGs. These likely were supplied with the Recce Rails, maybe with PRI back-up irons as well (though apparently rarely even used).

Photos

I would like to give a special thanks to 18E3V and Nikiel09 for the information about the "Holland" program that they have given over the years in the MK12 thread.  I would also like to thank HaveBlue83 and the other members  who helped in creation of this thread
Link Posted: 3/14/2017 4:43:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By chenault:
For all we know they might be Andersons.  Wouldn't that pee in some peoples Cherios
View Quote

Don't even joke about that
Link Posted: 3/14/2017 6:54:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By TinyCrumb:

Right, but I think he's talking about the recce rail because this is the Holland thread and that's what came on them. Honestly, at this point, who knows though? I don't think anyone's figured out exactly what the point of it would be or what he's trying to accomplish.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By RTUtah:

i know he's talking about using the PRI recce. My point is he could use the one substituted for the Gen II PRI tubes because it's a continual rail. Mount the URX and slide the rail on to bridge the upper together like the early SPR.

Right, but I think he's talking about the recce rail because this is the Holland thread and that's what came on them. Honestly, at this point, who knows though? I don't think anyone's figured out exactly what the point of it would be or what he's trying to accomplish.

Soon as I made that post, I had that very same epiphany. 
Link Posted: 3/14/2017 8:49:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By cjwwd2:

Don't even joke about that
View Quote

Why not?  Keyhole just like any other keyhole.  
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 4:30:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By sommere54:

Guess I should add the AEM5 to the punch list, as well

Sent them a LaRue 18" Stealth to cut/crown/thread/profile and blast to a dull finish.

Already antsy to get it back, and I just sent it out yesterday...
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Mblades:

Sweet! They did the 6.5 lilja barrel I had for my holland build. I doubt you will be disappointed.

Sent them a LaRue 18" Stealth to cut/crown/thread/profile and blast to a dull finish.

I thought about doing that when the LaRues were on sale.
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 11:18:38 AM EDT
[#5]

View Quote

Curious as to why you went with the 18"?
The reason I ask is I have a 16" stealth and was considering using it for a hollandish build.
I measured the barrel forward of the Geissele 13" it's in now and it was .740, which is smaller than the .749 on the AE5 contour specs. I can see where the contour steps down about 2" in front of the gas block area. Is the 18" thicker and the reason you went with it?
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 12:51:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By chenault:
Lol

Actually both are correct, they tried to reuse what they could but most of the uppers were used up so PRI used just plain cerro stamped uppers.  For all we know they might be Andersons.  Wouldn't that pee in some peoples Cherios
View Quote
I don't think they were really on the scene in 2007.

Best bet is whatever supplier PRI used at the time for their own uppers just without any engraving.
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 12:55:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: sommere54] [#7]
Originally Posted By axeltow:

The reason I ask is I have a 16" stealth and was considering using it for a hollandish build.
I measured the barrel forward of the Geissele 13" it's in now and it was .740, which is smaller than the .749 on the AE5 contour specs. I can see where the contour steps down about 2" in front of the gas block area. Is the 18" thicker and the reason you went with it?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By axeltow:

My original thought was that by sending the 18" it would have plenty of meat out at the end to profile however they needed to, rather than trying to make something fit with multiple setups on a 16". Really just figured it would be as easy or easier for them to 'do it all' with the 18", but maybe I'm wrong.

My plan may have a fatal flaw, though - I never paid attention to the barrel profile behind where the collar rests, which AE's drawing shows as 0.7495" -0.005". I was so focused on the 0.725" area I didn't check that the Stealth barrel was fat enough behind it...

Guess these are the reasons I'm a concrete guy and not a machinist/gun smith. And probably why I haven't heard anything out of Adco or seen my barrel back yet. They probably set it off to the side in the 'dumbass pile' to be dealt with later, at least that's what I would do...

I'll have to give them a call tomorrow and see what they say after I do some measuring on my other barrels at home tonight, but it looks like it might be back to the drawing board.

ETA: Didn't even make it home to measure - Steve at Adco sent me an email this afternoon that I'll have to have AE make a custom collar for the smaller OD of my barrel behind the step. Their 'dumbass pile' must not be as big as what I thought.
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 1:49:13 PM EDT
[#8]

Link Posted: 3/18/2017 10:25:43 PM EDT
[#9]

My original thought was that by sending the 18" it would have plenty of meat out at the end to profile however they needed to, rather than trying to make something fit with multiple setups on a 16". Really just figured it would be as easy or easier for them to 'do it all' with the 18", but maybe I'm wrong.

My plan may have a fatal flaw, though - I never paid attention to the barrel profile behind where the collar rests, which AE's drawing shows as 0.7495" -0.005". I was so focused on the 0.725" area I didn't check that the Stealth barrel was fat enough behind it...

Guess these are the reasons I'm a concrete guy and not a machinist/gun smith. And probably why I haven't heard anything out of Adco or seen my barrel back yet. They probably set it off to the side in the 'dumbass pile' to be dealt with later, at least that's what I would do...

I'll have to give them a call tomorrow and see what they say after I do some measuring on my other barrels at home tonight, but it looks like it might be back to the drawing board.

ETA: Didn't even make it home to measure - Steve at Adco sent me an email this afternoon that I'll have to have AE make a custom collar for the smaller OD of my barrel behind the step. Their 'dumbass pile' must not be as big as what I thought.
View Quote
Barrel is headed back with custom collar. Adco delivers, as per usual.

Mounted the Leupold in a new set of ARMS #22's today. Considering busting them apart and taking the Dremel to the lever stops. Just don't look right...
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 12:07:26 AM EDT
[Last Edit: aaron580] [#10]

Mounted the Leupold in a new set of ARMS #22's today. Considering busting them apart and taking the Dremel to the lever stops. Just don't look right...
View Quote
Been there done that, totally worth it.

Link Posted: 3/19/2017 10:51:00 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By aaron580:

http://i1115.photobucket.com/albums/k547/gadgetguy799/Guns/20170211_091632_zps16srjyxm.jpg
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By aaron580:

http://i1115.photobucket.com/albums/k547/gadgetguy799/Guns/20170211_091632_zps16srjyxm.jpg
Because pics.

Link Posted: 3/19/2017 2:13:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By exhogflyer:

Looks good my friend!!!
View Quote
Thanks. Excited to get the barrel back and put together.

Did a little work filling in the 'waffles' at on the Gen 4 Ace. Never liked the way they looked and I'm not going to be putting down $800 for a Gen 1 any time soon...

First fill in coat of JB Weld:

Cleaned that up this morning with some emery cloth to get back flush with the metal, then applied a second thin coat that should get everything over-filled to where I can clean it up tomorrow and be ready for a shot of paint:

We'll see how it works out. Thought about doing this second over-fill coat with bondo, but couldn't bring myself to put bondo on a rifle in any capacity. JB Weld should hold up pretty well and it's not too hard to work with as long as you babysit it and shave/sand it at the right time.
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 12:27:50 AM EDT
[#14]
Since I dumped in the Mk12 thread last time I'll dump some pics here today.

and finally my best friend and little shooting buddy.

Link Posted: 3/20/2017 12:31:05 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By K_weez:
Since I dumped in the Mk12 thread last time I'll dump some pics here today.

http://i.imgur.com/Xi9eCBp.jpg?1

http://i.imgur.com/udWlLvU.jpg?1

http://i.imgur.com/eieRtQo.jpg?2

http://i.imgur.com/COjwTds.jpg?1

http://i.imgur.com/EjqyBAd.jpg?1

and finally my best friend and little shooting buddy.

http://i.imgur.com/N3000Pr.jpg?1
View Quote
Fantastic! We need more pics like this, thank you.
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 6:11:13 PM EDT
[#16]
Looks good Sommer54, working in a body shop and having sanding my weight in bondo dust, it warms my heart seeing you use painters tape to protect the sides you don't wanna get bondo on. Well done sir
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 9:40:07 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By RJC1977:
Looks good Sommer54, working in a body shop and having sanding my weight in bondo dust, it warms my heart seeing you use painters tape to protect the sides you don't wanna get bondo on. Well done sir
View Quote
Thanks. I actually just finished cleaning it up and threw a few light coats of flat black on it.

I'll get it put back together tomorrow and see how it looks worthy of a pic...
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 9:56:29 PM EDT
[#18]
I've been slowly gathering parts for this build. This thread is awesome and sucked me in. I'm still deciding on recce with ARMS rings or Larue mount. Also, need to decide on a lower. Are A2 lowers acceptable or should I wait on an A1?
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 12:08:52 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By rbgonoles:
I've been slowly gathering parts for this build. This thread is awesome and sucked me in. I'm still deciding on recce with ARMS rings or Larue mount. Also, need to decide on a lower. Are A2 lowers acceptable or should I wait on an A1?
View Quote
Depends on who you ask.  True clone then it should be the A1.  I'd say 75% of the ones here are A2 and the others are A1.  I'm in the 75% cuz I have the A1 on my Mod 1 and with the rap back bill I'm not registering another gun.
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 6:39:49 AM EDT
[#20]
He speaks the truth, all of these clone threads suck you in. Lol. I am 95% done on my Block 2 M4, just started my BHD car-15 & started gathering parts for my MOD H build. I can't wait to have the Holland done so I can share it with you guys. Trying to 100% clone correct on her.
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 9:23:53 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By prskiller:

Depends on who you ask.  True clone then it should be the A1.  I'd say 75% of the ones here are A2 and the others are A1.  I'm in the 75% cuz I have the A1 on my Mod 1 and with the rap back bill I'm not registering another gun.
View Quote
Thanks.  I'll hold out for a Brownells A1 lower.  It'll be a while before I can get (afford) the remaining parts.  I just ordered the BA 16" SPR barrel. I have an upper and the Gen III FDE hg.  One piece at a time.
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 7:14:46 AM EDT
[#22]
Modified Gen 4 SOCOM aftermath:

Link Posted: 3/22/2017 8:59:06 AM EDT
[#23]

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/325748/IMG-20170321-201631191-171339.jpg
View Quote
That turned out nice.
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 9:07:28 AM EDT
[#24]

View Quote
I was hoping to see an after pic.  Great work!!
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 11:02:26 AM EDT
[#25]

View Quote
Awesome.
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 11:03:59 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By ArmedFerret:

I was hoping to see an after pic.  Great work!!
View Quote
Thanks, turned out better than I expected.

It's not perfect, the pic probably does it a little more justice than is deserved, but I think it looks a shit-ton better than it did.
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 11:25:22 AM EDT
[#27]

It's not perfect, the pic probably does it a little more justice than is deserved, but I think it looks a shit-ton better than it did.
View Quote
That's why Mohammed (PBUH) invented Krylon, son.  
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 12:35:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Engineer5] [#28]
If anyone has a set of ARMS #22M rings, stops or no-stops, they're looking to off load let me know.
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 5:05:03 PM EDT
[#29]
View Quote
Larue mount ends up being a little cheaper but I feel gives up some of the unique look of the Holland.
A2 is acceptable, nobody will beat you up about it but an A1 makes it correct. I'm working on that aspect of mine slowly ( waiting for NDS 80% to return in stock)
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 5:27:21 PM EDT
[#30]
View All Quotes

Once I get it all together I plan on showing the whole rifle some Krylon love
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 2:27:03 PM EDT
[#31]
decided to put on some irons which seems like most do not and i must say i like the look. PRI flip up in the front and ARMS#40L in the back

Link Posted: 3/23/2017 2:28:07 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 9:49:42 PM EDT
[#33]

Got the barrel back from Adco and it looks fantastic.

Assembled the upper sans scope and rings since the #22's are on a diet to lose those unsightly lever stops.

Heavier than I thought it would be, but I'll blame that on the Stealth barrel. Stoked to get the glass back on it and shoot it for a bit before giving it a Krylon bath.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 10:11:56 PM EDT
[#34]
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/325748/IMG-20170323-175029037-172566.jpg

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/325748/IMG-20170323-175039714-172567.jpg

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/325748/IMG-20170323-175058535-172569.jpg

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/325748/IMG-20170323-213426860-172572.jpg

Assembled the upper sans scope and rings since the #22's are on a diet to lose those unsightly lever stops.

Heavier than I thought it would be, but I'll blame that on the Stealth barrel. Stoked to get the glass back on it and shoot it for a bit before giving it a Krylon bath.
View Quote
I know the urge to Krylon is strong, but your Holland has that "fresh from the armorer" look to it, and I dig that.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 10:20:31 PM EDT
[#35]

View Quote
Looks great.  Looking forward to seeing that barrel in action
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 10:35:53 PM EDT
[#36]

View Quote
my woa has the same correct profile. glad to see its not GI. the heavy profile holds a can with less flex. wait till u see how awesome it shoots. 

ps u have an email. and I have a box on my desk. 
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 9:10:19 AM EDT
[Last Edit: HaveBlue83] [#37]
IG: 2aplha2quit posted this

Link Posted: 3/24/2017 10:39:47 AM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By HaveBlue83:
IG: 2aplha2quit posted this

https://s11.postimg.org/rcnolbheb/Screenshot_2017-03-24-09-05-41.png
View Quote
I'll try to add all of these to the first page and his weekend thank you for posing this
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 2:15:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Dejavu] [#39]
oops
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 3:13:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TinyCrumb] [#40]
From same IG acct. Afganistan 2008. SPR w/ ACOG.

Link Posted: 3/24/2017 4:25:14 PM EDT
[#41]

View Quote
Nicely done!
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 6:23:44 PM EDT
[#42]

Larue mount ends up being a little cheaper but I feel gives up some of the unique look of the Holland.
A2 is acceptable, nobody will beat you up about it but an A1 makes it correct. I'm working on that aspect of mine slowly ( waiting for NDS 80% to return in stock)
View Quote
Went back through this thread and I agree about the unique look of the recce rail. Placed an order with PRI. Think I'll take an A1 lower off a retro clone for the Holland and get in line with NoDak for another A1 for the retro. This is going to be a fun build.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 8:00:01 PM EDT
[#43]
From same IG acct. Afganistan 2008. SPR w/ ACOG.

http://i.imgur.com/3rEeblh.jpg
View Quote
oh snaps. Ta31. niiiiice 
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 9:19:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: chenault] [#44]

Went back through this thread and I agree about the unique look of the recce rail. Placed an order with PRI. Think I'll take an A1 lower off a retro clone for the Holland and get in line with NoDak for another A1 for the retro. This is going to be a fun build.
View Quote
I don't know, different strokes for different folks and all that.  I like the look of both, the Larue looks just as good to me.  One of the things I love most about the Holland is how many different looks there are.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 12:52:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: exhogflyer] [#45]
And we have the Holland build mostly done except for optic, NDS A1 lower when available, and a camo job. I really want to thank you all for inspiring me to do this! Thanks to Mad4wd, Helojumper2001,KrisRM70

Link Posted: 3/25/2017 1:21:38 PM EDT
[#46]
And we have the Holland build mostly done except for optic, NDS A1 lower when available, and a camo job. I really want to thank you all for inspiring me to do this!
http://i411.photobucket.com/albums/pp193/fasthog96/IMG_07751_zpsnf3z74lm.jpg
http://i411.photobucket.com/albums/pp193/fasthog96/IMG_07761_zpsi5dtla6h.jpg
View Quote
Man that looks good!
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 1:24:55 PM EDT
[#47]
Anyone have a PRI recce rail laying around? 
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 1:36:54 PM EDT
[#48]
And we have the Holland build mostly done except for optic, NDS A1 lower when available, and a camo job. I really want to thank you all for inspiring me to do this!
http://i411.photobucket.com/albums/pp193/fasthog96/IMG_07751_zpsnf3z74lm.jpg
http://i411.photobucket.com/albums/pp193/fasthog96/IMG_07761_zpsi5dtla6h.jpg
View Quote

Looks beautiful!  Kinda makes me wish I never painted mine. Is that the Gen 2 stock?
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 3:07:30 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By J_MONEY:

Looks beautiful!  Kinda makes me wish I never painted mine. Is that the Gen 2 stock?
View Quote
Yes it is! Thanks to Mad4WD who "found it"
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 3:33:34 PM EDT
[#50]

Yes it is! Thanks to Mad4WD who "found it"
View Quote
Lucky!  I'd run a Gen 2. Not gonna pay $800 for a Gen 1, that's for sure. The differences are close enough for me.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 115
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top