Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/25/2016 9:55:56 PM EDT
I was at a local gun shop an saw a few very nice specimens on the wall.  My daughter was particularly intrigued by one that had a weathered look to it. Not sure if i am blending a couple of them together or not but I think it had a logo on the side that looked like a mid-evil knight helmet. The safety selector was also unique, it had a knofe for safe and a knife dripping with blood for fire.  There was also one that had a very thin slim forearm (no air vents) and it had a PRS looking stock but it obviously wasn't, also a lot lighter thanthe PRS.  I don't remember the logos on the slim rifle or the stock but I would like to get one of those stocks for myself.  You guys have any info out there on either of those rifles?  I guess I might have to go back and get more info on them.  The weathered looking one was $1800 and the slim one was about a grand.

Thanks,
Indy
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 9:58:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Buy a PSA and throw it down your drive way
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 10:16:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 10:23:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Buy or build.  Shoot it.  Repeat.  Will eventually look weathered/used
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 10:25:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Aero precision does some "battle worn" color schemes.  They look nice
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 10:29:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Send one to me with a case of M855. Ill have her done inside 3 weeks.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 10:31:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Buy or build.  Shoot it.  Repeat.  Will eventually look weathered/used
View Quote

This is the answer...........don't YOU want to be the one "weathering" the rifle?  I won't pay for that look.....ever.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 11:38:00 PM EDT
[#7]
I have no clue about the rifles.

I think the stock you're referring to is made by Luth-AR.  

http://www.luth-ar.com/product/the-mba-modular-buttstock-assembly/

Link Posted: 9/25/2016 11:39:19 PM EDT
[#8]
My SBR is starting to get dings and wear marks on the edges. It's pretty satisfying knowing that it is from use.
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 12:14:19 AM EDT
[#9]
Get some WS2 and rub it on your AR15.
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 12:42:15 AM EDT
[#10]
"Hey guys, I saw these rifles at this one store. They were black and one looked like it had this one thing on it, but it wasn't. They also had some neat stuff on them. What kind were they?"

Link Posted: 9/26/2016 12:43:17 AM EDT
[#11]
I believe you are referring to a Spikes spartan lower.
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 12:58:25 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

View Quote
came to post this but I will prob get my pee pee slapped again for leaving GD,

Link Posted: 9/26/2016 1:04:58 AM EDT
[#13]
Vague question is vague.

I've never understood getting a rifle intentionally weathered.
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 1:18:53 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 1:43:06 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
"Hey guys, I saw these rifles at this one store. They were black and one looked like it had this one thing on it, but it wasn't. They also had some neat stuff on them. What kind were they?"

View Quote

Lol thug life yo
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 4:08:08 AM EDT
[#16]
While they will probably never be popular on ARFCOM, I am seeing more and more of these weathered AR's at local gun shops as well as gun shows.  I've seen finishes that range from faker than a $3 bill to some pretty well thought out and executed ones.

I'm not a fan, but this has been going on in other hobbies/industries for years.  Fender brought the "Relic" guitar concept to the larger market something like 20 years ago and now it's almost impossible to buy a really high end guitar from Fender that isn't beat to hell - they're that popular.  Gibson and others have followed suit.

If it's something you or your daughter are really interested in, find a good local Cerakote finishing shop and talk to them about what's possible.  Most of the good ones I've seen are done using the Cerakote product.
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 4:29:54 AM EDT
[#17]
Spray paint it to your liking without pre treating it correctly then use it. It'll get a weathered look quickly. Hell, just carry it around the house or do some ready up drills with it when not actually at the range and you'll get there in no time.
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 5:57:24 AM EDT
[#18]
I'm not up on which makers are doing weathered treatments but the OP should check out the Refinishing forum under Armory/Misc. for some great ideas.

One of my LGS had what appeared to be a very old Colt 9mm AR, couldn't tell if it was just that old or if it was 'garage patina' but it looked great.  

I had an old 90's era Colt 1911 that had gotten a poor kitchen sink blueing job. After reading up on some threads on 'weathering' pistols I gave it some simulated holster wear. Big improvement.

Since then I've painted & weathered several of my budget rifles & magazines. it's not hard and when you're done it'll be one of a kind...
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 6:03:26 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

This made me laugh.
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 6:19:52 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

Came to post something along this line.

Cheers!
-JC
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 6:27:45 AM EDT
[#21]
Father Time....

This Bushmaster rode in a patrol vehicle for fifteen years.

Link Posted: 9/26/2016 7:18:21 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

This made me laugh.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This made me laugh.

I know, I know... vague questions are vague and all that. I have had no luck searching for what I saw so a lunchtime visit is in order.  I do think that might have been the luthAR rear stock on the one i saw.

As for father daughter time, we are already on schedule there. We just want to build her an AR so I can get my precision AR in 6.5 Grendel back so I can hunt with it.  She has already taken three deer over the past two years. Plus now her younger sister is wanting to hunt. Man, this hobby is costing me a lot of money.... but it's worth it.
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 7:53:45 AM EDT
[#23]
I know a girl who bought jeans that were all beat up.  Figured half the life time of those jeans was already gone, but they cost twice as much?  Go figure that one out.
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 7:55:09 AM EDT
[#24]
Dad/daughter time is priceless, imo. Never get lost time back. Spend it with them while they are interested.
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 10:06:24 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I know, I know... vague questions are vague and all that. I have had no luck searching for what I saw so a lunchtime visit is in order.  I do think that might have been the luthAR rear stock on the one i saw.

As for father daughter time, we are already on schedule there. We just want to build her an AR so I can get my precision AR in 6.5 Grendel back so I can hunt with it.  She has already taken three deer over the past two years. Plus now her younger sister is wanting to hunt. Man, this hobby is costing me a lot of money.... but it's worth it.
View Quote

Just build her one and let her paint it whatever pattern she wants. Drag it around the woods, in and out of stands and trucks, it'll be "battleworn" in no time.

If it was one of those bronze rubbed Chronicles of Riddick Necromonger paint jobs then you'll need to see a Cerakoter or start practicing smearing thinned paint with steel wool or something.
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 10:43:08 AM EDT
[#26]
 Not to be a jerk BUT if you were looking at the logos on the rifles why didn't you look to see the manufactures???
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 12:11:41 PM EDT
[#27]
I understand what you want.  Not a beat up rifle but one that sort of looks that way.

These folks do an excellent job Cerakoting and"dipping" firearms.  This way you can but exactly what you want and get it painted up exactly the way you want it too.  They did a great job on a Tavor for me.

http://modern-outfitters.com/

Link Posted: 9/26/2016 12:14:46 PM EDT
[#28]
Buy one and shoot it. A bunch.
Weathered.
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 1:10:07 PM EDT
[#29]
Treat them like tools and not porcelain figurines; they'll be weathered in no time

Link Posted: 9/26/2016 1:24:34 PM EDT
[#30]
go back to said local shop and ask them? if its local it cant be too far out of the way... or hell just call them?
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 1:37:54 PM EDT
[#31]
Aero Precision makes "battleworn" sets.

Link Posted: 9/26/2016 2:37:53 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 4:01:50 PM EDT
[#33]
Spray paint it, then choot it. Simple really.

Link Posted: 9/26/2016 4:08:00 PM EDT
[#34]
Get here whatever she likes and shoot it. A lot.
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 4:23:51 PM EDT
[#35]
Please send your new rifles to me.  I'll gently weather them for you free of charge.

Joking aside, that father-daughter time is priceless.  Thank you for stepping up and owning that.
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 10:39:34 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

I went back today and the weathered looking one was a spikes crusader. Very nice rifle, light and nimble.  Not a fan of 14.5" barrels or the price, but there is the beauty of this hobby, you can build what you want.

The other rifle was listed on their wall as an Armalite SPR mod 1.  What I see on the armalite website it looks like some M-15 "versatile sporting rifle". The butt stock does appear to be an armalite branded luthAR stock.  Overall I liked that one as well.  The forearm was really thin, no venting holes or slots, easy to hold onto without your hands getting grated on by the rails cause there aren't any. It was light weight as well, just a tad longer, maybe not quite as nimble.

I do need to get one of those luthAR stocks for my heavy weight precision rifle.
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 10:49:43 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Treat them like tools and not porcelain figurines; they'll be weathered in no time

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v158/rebeltilldeath3/Mobile%20Uploads/2016-09/20160911_104651_zpsvz08qllm.jpg~original
View Quote

Nailed it!

Link Posted: 9/26/2016 11:06:18 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 12:06:16 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Vague question is vague.

I've never understood getting a rifle intentionally weathered.
View Quote

I don't know I kind of like them,  some of the finishes Nighthawk is offering from hillbilly223 on their 1911s look amazing.

Link Posted: 9/27/2016 12:35:45 AM EDT
[#40]
I let my daughter pick the lower, Spikes Calico jack lower, and I snagged her a KAC SR15 E3 Mod 1 and a SWFA HD 1-6x. She picked the design but I kind of coached her in the paint colors on the job I did for her. Here's a pic of her shooting, she's 5 now.

Get them what they want and they'll love it. As far as like a battle worn I did this for a guy, it's kind of a pain in the ass but I painted one color and let cure then paint over and use 0000 steel wool to wear off top paint (makes a huge mess with steel fibers).

Bad pic but it shows the AK paint job. I would suggest finding someone local who can paint and have your daughter give him ideas and see what he can do from there, that way you can build it exactly how you want and paint it how you want.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 12:50:44 AM EDT
[#41]
It's great to see another young shooter join our ranks, it's even better the shooter is a young lady.  

Now to you question, may I offer an opinion?  Why not turn the whole thing around and do a Battle Worn rifle together. There are several threads on how to make your rifle and kit look like it's just back from a 12 month deployment.  I did one myself with a PSA 20" AR kit and  Blem PSA Receiver.  You can obviously buy any AR manufacture and style but with a little scotch bright or steel wool it's not hard at all and could make for an enjoyable afternoon project.  There's plenty of used optics and furniture on the EE as well to add to the over all effect.  

Feel free to PM me if you want a more detailed description and a photo or two of the rifle I did to replicate the one I was issued.

Anyway, best of luck and don't let the negative attitudes put you off.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 9:52:37 AM EDT
[#42]
Don't you know I just love that,  I bought it in little Boutique look. it really goes with my new holy tattered jeans at the indoor range.  speaking in the new English language saying things like OMG, LOL, hashtag and I'm going to Sashay on over here for a little while.  

Link Posted: 9/27/2016 11:33:59 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

I went back today and the weathered looking one was a spikes crusader. Very nice rifle, light and nimble.  Not a fan of 14.5" barrels or the price, but there is the beauty of this hobby, you can build what you want.

The other rifle was listed on their wall as an Armalite SPR mod 1.  What I see on the armalite website it looks like some M-15 "versatile sporting rifle". The butt stock does appear to be an armalite branded luthAR stock.  Overall I liked that one as well.  The forearm was really thin, no venting holes or slots, easy to hold onto without your hands getting grated on by the rails cause there aren't any. It was light weight as well, just a tad longer, maybe not quite as nimble.

I do need to get one of those luthAR stocks for my heavy weight precision rifle.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'd get the Armalite.  They make great rifles.  The SPR Mod 1 retails for ~$1500 and comes with match barrel and a 2-stage trigger (the 2-stage trigger on my Armalite A2 service rifle is great).  I don't think the stock and forestock are factory installed - quadrail and std collapsible buttstock are standard.  Is that rifle used?  I like the slender AR forestocks you mention - I have a friend who builds ARs commercially - he's using them on most of his builds, and all builds for women.  The look like this one ('cept not red):

Link Posted: 9/27/2016 12:09:11 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v158/rebeltilldeath3/Mobile%20Uploads/2016-09/20160911_104651_zpsvz08qllm.jpg~original
View Quote

That way they're sure to look like they've been carried in a case with a bunch of metal crap like they've been shot a lot.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 1:03:29 PM EDT
[#45]
You could build / buy a rifle/carbine and then cheat a little on the finish.  Use some spray paint over the orignal finish.  Do a light coat that will wear quickly and pretty soon it will start to look salty.

As said above, time with your daughter is precious, spend it wisely.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 1:18:31 PM EDT
[#46]
These guys don't build the rifles, but they'll paint yours.

http://blowndeadline.net/gallery/
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 1:37:58 PM EDT
[#47]
Buy a standard AR and actually *use* it.

Buying one that someone screwed around with to look worn is like wearing a toupée.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 1:40:37 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote

After boiling it and then baking it in the oven with the plastic parts still attached.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 2:02:39 PM EDT
[#49]
Check out blowndeadline.net for the weathered look...EDIT* oops.  Already posted....
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 4:33:52 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

I'd get the Armalite.  They make great rifles.  The SPR Mod 1 retails for ~$1500 and comes with match barrel and a 2-stage trigger (the 2-stage trigger on my Armalite A2 service rifle is great).  I don't think the stock and forestock are factory installed - quadrail and std collapsible buttstock are standard.  Is that rifle used?  I like the slender AR forestocks you mention - I have a friend who builds ARs commercially - he's using them on most of his builds, and all builds for women.  The look like this one ('cept not red):

https://s3.amazonaws.com/mgm-content/sites/armslist/uploads/posts/2016/08/15/5791815_01_armalite_spr_mod_1_640.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://s3.amazonaws.com/mgm-content/sites/armslist/uploads/posts/2016/08/15/5791815_01_armalite_spr_mod_1_640.jpg

Here is the armalite rifle with the luthAR rear stock and slim forearm. M-15
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top