Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 8/16/2015 10:20:33 AM EDT
Asking because I'm looking at ammo prices, and steel case ammo is approximately $100 cheaper per 1,000 rounds.  I understand steel is harder on the extractor and barrel, but when you save $1,000 per 10,000 rounds, you can basically replace your barrel and extractor (hell, for the $1,000 you save, you can replace the entire rifle, or at least the upper).  

I get that you may want to shoot brass if you want to maintain the original parts of the rifle.  Maybe you have a nice vintage Colt, and you want to keep it in original condition.  Or maybe you have a high end tack driver and steel case ammo is not up to your accuracy standards.  

But for the majority of people who are just casually plinking with their $700 home builds, should they be using steel case ammo instead of brass?
Link Posted: 8/16/2015 10:26:34 AM EDT
[#1]
Perhaps, for me personally I don't shoot enough ammo to justify switching to steel cased exclusively.  The prices are still relatively cheap across the board for ammo, so there are bulk deals to be had.
Link Posted: 8/16/2015 10:30:11 AM EDT
[#2]
If your rifle shoots steel then use it. Is it doesn't buy a different rifle.
Link Posted: 8/16/2015 10:32:53 AM EDT
[#3]
If one isn't into saving brass for reloading, steel is great for general range use.  Though, if reloading gets factored in, the brass ammo can be a better deal than it is otherwise.  But not necessarily depending on time.  If one has kids they may not have the time to sit in front of the tube and knock out even 100 rounds...

I've bought and shot both over the years, and have always preferred steel simply for the cost.  Now that I'm getting into reloading, I've been playing around with the math to determine whether it's worth buying any more steel or if I should just buy more of my go to Lake City range ammo. Having the brass is handy, but with all of the other factors, for me, steel may not be out just yet.
Link Posted: 8/16/2015 10:55:23 AM EDT
[#4]
I shoot both

In no way am I or my rifle too snobby to shoot steel case ammo, but...

The cheap steel case ammo such as Tulammo is noticeably less accurate which seems to be variations in the load power

Occasional to frequent short stroking.

I don't mind if im just plinking for fun, because it throws in random malfunction drills into the shooting session.

Cheap 193 isn't much more and is quite a bit more reliable and accurate IMO
Link Posted: 8/16/2015 11:15:59 AM EDT
[#5]
An interesting article on the pros and cons of steel cased ammo...

Steel-vs-Brass
Link Posted: 8/16/2015 11:25:25 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
An interesting article on the pros and cons of steel cased ammo...

Steel-vs-Brass
View Quote

Great link, thanks!
Link Posted: 8/16/2015 11:54:19 AM EDT
[#7]
My rifles have never seen a steel cased round.
Link Posted: 8/16/2015 12:00:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

Nor have mine and they never will. I have been shooting brass-cased ammo in M16s and AR15s for 37 years now. I do not care how cheap steel-cased ammo is compared to brass-cased ammo, I will never run it in my ARs. It is not worth it. The AR15 is not designed to be used with steel-cased ammo and never has been.
Link Posted: 8/16/2015 12:03:19 PM EDT
[#9]
I shoot steel cased ammo quite frequently.  The cost savings easily offsets the cost of a new barrel after a few thousand rounds (even less if you have a cheaper barrel).

Some people here like it and others despise it for whatever reason.  If it works in your gun, and it meets your needs, there's no good reason not to use it.
Link Posted: 8/16/2015 12:04:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Nor have mine and they never will. I have been shooting brass-cased ammo in M16s and AR15s for 37 years now. I do not care how cheap steel-cased ammo is compared to brass-cased ammo, I will never run it in my ARs. It is not worth it. The AR15 is not designed to be used with steel-cased ammo and never has been.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is the correct answer, although I'd make an exception for a designated beater AR.
Link Posted: 8/16/2015 12:07:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I shoot steel cased ammo quite frequently.  The cost savings easily offsets the cost of a new barrel after a few thousand rounds (even less if you have a cheaper barrel).

Some people here like it and others despise it for whatever reason.  If it works in your gun, and it meets your needs, there's no good reason not to use it.
View Quote

For a rifle you may use for HD or SHTF, for me it isn't worth the loss of sleep knowing my rifle might break when I need it.  I run KAC uppers for the increased durability, being durability and reliability are the 2 most important criteria for me on a fighting rifle.  If steel cased ammo could potentially gum the rifle up or beak an extractor early, why would I want to do that?
Link Posted: 8/16/2015 12:08:36 PM EDT
[#12]
As soon as I can get steel for $200/1,000 rounds shipped, I'm stocking the heck up.  We're not far off that price point, now.
Link Posted: 8/16/2015 12:25:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Steel cased ammo is mostly JUNK

I crank mine ammo out in batches of 1000

If all you care about in life is the lowest price,....well you ain't living

Link Posted: 8/16/2015 12:33:54 PM EDT
[#14]
I was getting stuck cases/ failures to extract with Wolf steel.  I bought the BCM extractor upgrade it.  Heavy spring and O ring.  I installed the Spring only.  I hope to test it soon.  Also picked up some Wolf brass.  It was very disheartening being armed with a single shot AR.  The reason I won't use it for home defense and instead use a shotgun.  I can only imagine having it choke in a real situation... fucking useless.

My understanding is that with the 14.5" carbine the cycle rate is so fast that the brass doesn't have time to cool and contract.  I also understand that once steel expands it doesn't contract as much as brass, so it sits tighter in the chamber.  I have heard that the varnish doesn't help either, but I don't now.

I really hope the BCM mod fixes the problem.  I hate having a gun that I can't depend on.

Regards,

-Coop
Link Posted: 8/16/2015 12:40:03 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

For a rifle you may use for HD or SHTF, for me it isn't worth the loss of sleep knowing my rifle might break when I need it.  I run KAC uppers for the increased durability, being durability and reliability are the 2 most important criteria for me on a fighting rifle.  If steel cased ammo could potentially gum the rifle up or beak an extractor early, why would I want to do that?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

From everything I've seen (personal experiences as well as documented tests), it increases the gradual wear that your rifle sees from quality brass cased ammo.  How much depends on what your courses of fire consist of.

What I haven't seen is steel cased ammo causing a catastrophic sudden failure of parts where using brass cased ammo wouldn't have.  So whether you're using steel cased or brass cased ammo, as long as you're shooting the rifle, some level of wear will be present.

If it worries you that much, keep spares of everything on hand (if you're truly worried about "SHTF", you should be doing this anyway).  If the "SHTF" happens, swap in a new extractor/other small parts and call it a day.

In any case, I'd rather put more rounds down range training and keep a few spare parts on hand than incessantly worry about when my extractor may stop working reliably.  

This is still a "YMMV" scenario though, so if you have a pile of money for firearms or simply care more about the increased wear than you do about training, your opinion may be different.

ETA:  If you'd really like to go down the rabbit hole, establish a preventative maintenance plan and parts replacement schedule for your rifles.  Log all the rounds that are fired through them and follow your plan.  Inspect your rifle after each range session.  If you're really worried about reliability, this is a great way to head off a lot of issues before they happen.
Link Posted: 8/16/2015 12:43:34 PM EDT
[#16]
i shoot everything through mine.  i just clean it after i shoot steel, and every other time after shooting brass..

if i cant shoot any style ammo through it, (steel or brass) ill get rid of it.  these rifles should be able to eat anything. unless its specifically tuned for certain ammo for range use only or whatever
Link Posted: 8/16/2015 12:44:15 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I was getting stuck cases/ failures to extract with Wolf steel.  I bought the BCM extractor upgrade it.  Heavy spring and O ring.  I installed the Spring only.  I hope to test it soon.  Also picked up some Wolf brass.  It was very disheartening being armed with a single shot AR.  The reason I won't use it for home defense and instead use a shotgun.  I can only imagine having it choke in a real situation... fucking useless.

My understanding is that with the 14.5" carbine the cycle rate is so fast that the brass doesn't have time to cool and contract.  I also understand that once steel expands it doesn't contract as much as brass, so it sits tighter in the chamber.  I have heard that the varnish doesn't help either, but I don't now.

I really hope the BCM mod fixes the problem.  I hate having a gun that I can't depend on.

Regards,

-Coop
View Quote

Were you having failure to extract issues with the ammo you intend to use for defensive purposes, or any other quality brass cased load?

Stuck cases are a known "thing" with steel cased ammo.  Typically a rifle that does this will still run fine with brass cased ammo.
Link Posted: 8/16/2015 12:49:40 PM EDT
[#18]
All I had was Wolf steel.  That was my intended defense ammo.  Whether pistol shotgun or rifle, I always figured within my house (20' distance) it didn't matter.
Link Posted: 8/16/2015 12:50:31 PM EDT
[#19]

My personal opinion is that if someone can afford to shoot, and wants to shoot brass-cased ammo in their AR, then they should buy brass-cased ammo.  If someone is on a tighter budget and/or simply wants to plink or shoot for fun, then I don't see why they should ever buy brass-cased ammo (as long as their gun will run it reliably).

I have never used steel-cased ammo. I have 5 boxes of it that were given to me last year and I still haven't used it. I am able to purchase brass-cased ammo at will without crippling my bank account, so that is what I buy.

I am not buying into this notion that it is okay when the steel-cased ammo seizes up your rifle because a malfunction-clearing drill on occasion is a good thing. A malfunction in a firearm is NEVER a good thing. Let me add here that in the thousands of rounds I have fired with factory loaded brass-cased ammo, I have not had one single malfunction/breakage to date. Not one!

Each to his/her own, but for me....I'm sticking with brass-cased ammo.  YMMV

Link Posted: 8/16/2015 12:54:32 PM EDT
[#20]
I agree drills are necessary, which is why I practice them.   But having to hammer out stuck cases with a rod every 3rd shot isn't a drill, it's a death sentence.
Link Posted: 8/16/2015 12:56:45 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

I agree drills are necessary, which is why I practice them.   But having to hammer out stuck cases with a rod every 3rd shot isn't a drill, it's a death sentence.
View Quote

Agreed.  Anyone loading their magazines with steel-cased ammo for HD/SHTF scenario has a death wish imo.

Link Posted: 8/16/2015 12:59:59 PM EDT
[#22]
I had some cheap Tula jam up my rig pretty bad one time. Locked the bolt 3/4 of the way forward with a spent round in the chamber. I couldn't lock the bolt back and had to insert a cleaning rod and slam the rifle bore down onto my floor to get it working again.

That was the last time I used steel.
Link Posted: 8/16/2015 1:09:47 PM EDT
[#23]
my AUG A3 CQB
and my Sig 556
and my Yugo M85 Krink
are all fed a steady diet of steel cased ammo
I never have any problems.
I dont own any DI ar's anymore
however my 9MM colt 6951
eats steel cased ammo like its going out of style.
I wont own any gun that cant be fed a steady diet
of cheap ammo. my guns run on all ammo.
Link Posted: 8/16/2015 1:27:03 PM EDT
[#24]
american made steel case in ammo in 30 06 for M1 rifles and 45 acp didnt hurt ww2 rifles when it was used for a brief time...that being said I have 300rds left of wolf military classic thats been getting replaced with brass I had over 3k rounds of it but its being shot and replaced with brass for my tucked away ammo.
Link Posted: 8/16/2015 1:39:40 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
My personal opinion is that if someone can afford to shoot, and wants to shoot brass-cased ammo in their AR, then they should buy brass-cased ammo.  If someone is on a tighter budget and/or simply wants to plink or shoot for fun, then I don't see why they should ever buy brass-cased ammo (as long as their gun will run it reliably).

I have never used steel-cased ammo. I have 5 boxes of it that were given to me last year and I still haven't used it. I am able to purchase brass-cased ammo at will without crippling my bank account, so that is what I buy.

I am not buying into this notion that it is okay when the steel-cased ammo seizes up your rifle because a malfunction-clearing drill on occasion is a good thing. A malfunction in a firearm is NEVER a good thing. Let me add here that in the thousands of rounds I have fired with factory loaded brass-cased ammo, I have not had one single malfunction/breakage to date. Not one!

View Quote

The way I look at it is that if you cannot afford the right kind of ammo for an AR, you have no business buying one. Many guys today seem to buy the AR first and then worry about the ammo later. I remember back when ammo was sky high a few years back and very few guys were buying ARs because they could not afford the ammo. Well, that is not the case anymore. Good, decent brass-cased ammo is more affordable now. There is no good reason for anyone not to use it. Leave the steel-cased for the .223 AKs,  the HK93s, and the like. For me, I started stocking up on .223 and 5.56 brass-cased ammo 11 years ago, back when it was cheap. I am not hurting. What ever I shoot, I replace plus a little more. This way I stay ahead.
Link Posted: 8/16/2015 1:44:01 PM EDT
[#26]
I have never bought/shot any steel cased ammo in my AR15's but then I have never bought/shot anything but steel cased in my AK's.

The steel case is not really my concern, I'm more focused on the crappy/dirty primers, powder and the steel jacket on the projectile along with less accuracy.
I'm with some of the previous posters, life is too short to penny pinch on AR ammo.
I'll save that for the AK's.
Link Posted: 8/16/2015 1:50:22 PM EDT
[#27]
Everyone is going to have varying opinions on this, just like every other steel vs brass type of thread. My take on it is relatively simple.  I shoot primarily steel for general training out to a couple hundred yards due to cost and the fact that I train in areas where recovering brass is nearly impossible. I do reload when I can find components, primarily for accuracy. It is a fact that steel case ammo will cause increased wear on every part of the rifle it comes in to contact with verses brass. I've found the differences in wear negligible and will continue to use steel.

This is just MY opinion and nothing more.
Link Posted: 8/16/2015 2:03:00 PM EDT
[#28]
You can shoot brass for about a nickel more per round.  If you don't reload, you can sell your used brass and recoup that cost.  It's not any cheaper to shoot steel and you can avoid the problems that come with inferior Russian ammo.
Link Posted: 8/16/2015 2:44:41 PM EDT
[#29]
^^^this makes sense!
Link Posted: 8/16/2015 2:50:00 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Steel cased ammo is mostly JUNK

I crank mine ammo out in batches of 1000

If all you care about in life is the lowest price,....well you ain't living

https://www.dillonprecision.com/uimages//RL_650_bp_shot.jpg

http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/images/product_images/153-2267B/153-2267B.jpg
View Quote

This..... I too have a Dillon press.
Link Posted: 8/16/2015 2:56:56 PM EDT
[#31]
My rifles experience with Steel case ammo...LEft hand stag 16in carbine  multiple stuck rounds with wolf (sold this POS soon as i could). Stock M&P15 moe  5k rounds  half being wolf no malfunctions. .BCM 14.5 carbine with 11-12k round with 6k rounds of tula and wolf never a single problem. never replaced the extractor barrel still in great shape using a standard mil spec buffer spring and st-t2 buffer.  gas port next to no erosion.   My new rifle an Aero precision 16in middy with a st-t2 buffer and jp extra power spring,  300 rounds of black box wolf zero malfunctions.  

Co workers rifles.. DPMPs  wont cycle wolf or tula bushmaster same result  Spikes 16in middy cycles everything  M&P sport  cycles everything

my conclusion buy a rifle that doesnt suck.

Id like to see lucky gunner run that same test again with quality rifles
Link Posted: 8/16/2015 3:18:52 PM EDT
[#32]
I shoot at indoor ranges that do magnet tests, so Russian stuff is a no-go. Even if it was allowed, I still wouldn't use Russian steel cased ammo. It burns dirty, smells bad and is way underpowered.

My favorite ammo for everything is Hornady steel match 75 grain. If I could find it regularly, it would be the only ammo I ever bought in 556. Damned good stuff. In the meantime, I plink with wolf gold.
Link Posted: 8/16/2015 3:24:21 PM EDT
[#33]
I pretty much look at steel case as just extra bulk to stockpile. I barely ever shoot it, but it's still ammo and it's cheap so it's cool to have around (better than running out) I still buy/shoot probably 98 percent  brass case though.
Link Posted: 8/16/2015 4:02:31 PM EDT
[#34]
Love these threads.   I shoot a lot, sometimes wolf, other times standard ball brass ammo.
I have won a rifle match using wolf 55 gr, and the prize was 1k rds of M193.
Some of the guys were

It is a bit harder on the bbl, and not usually as accurate as GOOD brass ammo, but good enough for most
action rifle stuff.
Link Posted: 8/16/2015 4:34:07 PM EDT
[#35]
It is 110 here today.  Shoot a couple mags of poly Wolf on a hot day and you will never touch it again.  

It works great, until the day it doesn't.  
Link Posted: 8/16/2015 5:07:56 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/16/2015 6:10:19 PM EDT
[#37]
H
Quoted:
I have never bought/shot any steel cased ammo in my AR15's but then I have never bought/shot anything but steel cased in my AK's.

The steel case is not really my concern, I'm more focused on the crappy/dirty primers, powder and the steel jacket on the projectile along with less accuracy.
I'm with some of the previous posters, life is too short to penny pinch on AR ammo.
I'll save that for the AK's.
View Quote

This is what I was going to say, if it weren't for the bi-metal jacket I'd probably shoot it.
Link Posted: 8/16/2015 6:18:50 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
american made steel case in ammo in 30 06 for M1 rifles and 45 acp didnt hurt ww2 rifles when it was used for a brief time...that being said I have 300rds left of wolf military classic thats been getting replaced with brass I had over 3k rounds of it but its being shot and replaced with brass for my tucked away ammo.
View Quote

It was actually .30 carbine and .45 ACP ammo that was steel case in WW2. Both straight-walled, lower pressure rounds.
Link Posted: 8/16/2015 6:19:10 PM EDT
[#39]
Wolf/Tula is $120 shipped and Wolf Gold Brass is $150 shipped for 500....no brainer to buy brass right now. Once brass hits a floor and steel can still go lower, then it will be time to buy. Maybe $100 per 500.
Link Posted: 8/16/2015 6:32:07 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

The way I look at it is that if you cannot afford the right kind of ammo for an AR, you have no business buying one. Many guys today seem to buy the AR first and then worry about the ammo later. I remember back when ammo was sky high a few years back and very few guys were buying ARs because they could not afford the ammo. Well, that is not the case anymore. Good, decent brass-cased ammo is more affordable now. There is no good reason for anyone not to use it. Leave the steel-cased for the .223 AKs,  the HK93s, and the like. For me, I started stocking up on .223 and 5.56 brass-cased ammo 11 years ago, back when it was cheap. I am not hurting. What ever I shoot, I replace plus a little more. This way I stay ahead.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't want to turn this into a GD thread, but wow...
Link Posted: 8/16/2015 6:34:40 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I don't want to turn this into a GD thread, but wow...
View Quote

He's pretty well known for inflammatory asinine comments, just ignore him.
Link Posted: 8/16/2015 6:37:08 PM EDT
[#42]
I can load match grade stuff with 68 or 75 BTHPs for around 35cpr.  High-volume 55-grain FMJ plinking ammo usually runs me around 17-18cpr.

I haven't bought "bulk" .223/5.56 in a loooooooooooooooooooooooong time.
Link Posted: 8/16/2015 6:51:54 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The AR of today and 37 years ago are pretty different.

I don't shoot steel case ammo either, but for plinkers, it can be just right. The steel cases are mild and reloadable.
Link Posted: 8/16/2015 7:02:36 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

I don't shoot steel case ammo either, but for plinkers, it can be just right. The steel cases are mild and reloadable.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Guess i didn't get that memo.

I was always under the impression steel case wasn't reloadable. Or at least, wasn't supposed to be reloaded...
Link Posted: 8/16/2015 7:04:27 PM EDT
[#45]
Tula is Berdan primed now, hasn't been boxer for a while now
Link Posted: 8/16/2015 7:54:58 PM EDT
[#46]
I had a Noveske N4 that ate up Monarch steel cased like candy. At least 1000+ rounds and no malfunctions. That was back when brass was $10/20 and the Monarch was $5/20. Yea it might shorten extractor life but so what what. You can buy a spare with what you save in 150 rounds. As for the "AR wasn't designed for it" argument... It wasn't designed for a gas piston either but those are are pretty reliable, and popular.
Link Posted: 8/16/2015 8:02:09 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hope you don't get a nose bleed way up there on that pedestal of yours.

There is absolutely no reason not to shoot steel cased ammo. Will your Extractor wear out faster?  Probably but it's a wear item anyway just like brakes on a car.   Clean your AR buy a hundred rounds of tula and go shoot.  If  it cycles then keep buying.

Shooting steel case ammo at a normal rate of fire will not damage your rifle.  My bcm held up just fine to thousands of rounds of it
Link Posted: 8/16/2015 8:03:46 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote

From the latest Centerfire Systems catalog (Late summer/early winter 2015) page 8:

" />
Link Posted: 8/16/2015 8:05:05 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

From the latest Centerfire Systems catalog (Late summer/early winter 2015) page 8:

http://<a href=http://i1289.photobucket.com/albums/b516/bam_bam9/225e059bab686c0324a11a3c2bf3baa4.jpg</a>" />
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://<a href=http://i1289.photobucket.com/albums/b516/bam_bam9/225e059bab686c0324a11a3c2bf3baa4.jpg</a>" />

lol....because CFS has never "inadvertently" put incorrect information in anything they've advertised in the past...
Link Posted: 8/16/2015 8:12:43 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Says the FMJ is Berman primed, and says the HP is boxer primed (on the boxes)

(Not sure if you saw that, just pointing it out for others)
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top