Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/22/2015 11:13:02 AM EDT
Is a DD LPK worth the premium over say a CMMG LPK? If yes how so?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 11:28:11 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Thanks.
View Quote

I say no.  The DD LPK is $35 higher and all you really gain is a Magpul polymer trigger guard (a $10 item...and I wouldn't want my trigger guard to be plastic).

My last 3 builds I've used the Spikes LPK's because I prefer the roll pins NOT anodized.  They run $75....usually.  The "in the white" roll pins go in so much easier imo.

Link Posted: 5/22/2015 12:00:54 PM EDT
[#2]
i bought one the other day,

only because it was $20 off, normally i get a spikes LPK, simply because of what the poster above me stated, the roll pins are super easy to place.

i haven't installed the LPK yet, i was planning on doing that today.

<snip>

ETA:

this isnt GD sorry.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 12:03:23 PM EDT
[#3]
yes, the quality of the parts both fit and finish was greater the the other parts I have used
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 12:21:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
yes, the quality of the parts both fit and finish was greater the the other parts I have used
View Quote

Agreed.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 12:51:21 PM EDT
[#5]
My friend had one that he installed in a Noveske lower. I was not impressed. Horrible trigger, loose/mushy selector, and everything just felt cheap.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 1:39:59 PM EDT
[#6]
I had a DD LPK in one of my rifles, and I switched the trigger out with a ALG QMS..... I think the DD trigger was better than the QMS.

But, I've heard DD LPKs are hit or miss.

Link Posted: 5/22/2015 1:59:28 PM EDT
[#7]
My first build used a DD LPK.....nice quality and very good mil spec trigger.
2nd build used a mix of PSA and Spikes parts.
I would say that the Spikes was similar to DD in quality.
Having said that, the premium for the DD is not worth it.

Reading the other LPK quality reports here, the following usually get a thumbs up...

DD
Spikes
RRA
Stag
CMMG

In no particular order.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 9:04:59 PM EDT
[#8]
WOA LPK w/ALG ACT. Profit.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 9:27:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I say no.  The DD LPK is $35 higher and all you really gain is a Magpul polymer trigger guard (a $10 item...and I wouldn't want my trigger guard to be plastic).

My last 3 builds I've used the Spikes LPK's because I prefer the roll pins NOT anodized.  They run $75....usually.  The "in the white" roll pins go in so much easier imo.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks.

Hope not, anodizing is for aluminum, not steel
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 9:37:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Ive used DD spikes, cmmg, and psa   I prefer the cmmg. I liked the color coded bags the trigger felt better (even though i replaced it) and its cheaper
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 9:46:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Go to a site that sells quality individual parts

Get all the springs, pins, detents, and those things $30(basically a lpk -fcg but its actually cheaper individually with no grip and gaurd)
ALG ACT $65
Magpul Trigger gaurd and grip $30

$125 total worth the extra $25 if you are already spending almost $100

With that said I would expect DD to be top notch as far as quality

Link Posted: 5/22/2015 9:49:33 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks.

Well, whatever the black shit is they coat the roll pins with makes them harder to punch in.

Link Posted: 5/22/2015 9:58:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Well, whatever the black shit is they coat the roll pins with makes them harder to punch in.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks.

I couldn't resist, it's the Bud Light Platinum I tell ya, and I'm laughing at what you wrote
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 10:00:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

This is a screaming good deal and it seems relatively unknown. I wish I had known about it before my last build.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 10:03:14 PM EDT
[#15]
I put a JP kit in my Noveske. Triggers are very subjective, IMO you're better off buying a kit minus the trigger, and then get what trigger you really want, unless you want something like the WOA with ALG.

http://www.rainierarms.com/jp-lower-parts-kit-minus-trigger-assembly?___SID=U

Link Posted: 5/22/2015 10:34:25 PM EDT
[#16]
Try a a Stag you will like it. Very good mil spec trigger IMO
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 2:46:19 AM EDT
[#17]
Personally I like the DD LPK. The entire kit seems to be a better quality products. Atleast with my experience, I have had better luck with the triggers (more of a QC standards) and considering you can get the kits for $80 shipped. So... For a decent (Not spectacular) FACTORY trigger, I don't see a problem.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 3:30:21 AM EDT
[#18]
I bought a complete DD lower. The trigger was horrible. The best bang for the buck I have seen after several builds is a WOA trigger less lpk and a qms trigger.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 9:41:09 AM EDT
[#19]
nope! i bought one a few years ago and while all the components are quality, the trigger is kind of junky. My PSA lower parts kit has a better trigger IMO. Your better off buying something else.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 9:55:02 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I put a JP kit in my Noveske. Triggers are very subjective, IMO you're better off buying a kit minus the trigger, and then get what trigger you really want, unless you want something like the WOA with ALG.

View Quote

This is exactly what I do.  I don't want a mil spec trigger or a2 grip so why pay for them.  The JP kits have always worked great.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 9:59:41 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
The best bang for the buck I have seen after several builds is a WOA trigger less lpk and a qms trigger.
View Quote

I've dealt with WOA and have an ALG....never put the two together but that would have to be a top-rated combo.

Got an out of spec bolt catch with my only PSA kit....pin bore was too small.
And I didn't like the non-standard tactile surface on the paddle.
You can always tell a PSA kit by the paddle.

PSA

Standard

Link Posted: 5/23/2015 10:21:40 AM EDT
[#22]
I use PSA kits minus the trigger for most of my builds. I really like the Spikes LPK with the stainless roll pins. DD had a decent trigger in the LPK I used from them, and I really liked the CMMG trigger.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 10:32:49 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

This right here
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 11:17:04 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

View Quote

Wow, I checked that out. That's a great deal for having arguably the best mil-spec trigger on the market. Costs right about the same as DD.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 1:30:08 PM EDT
[#25]
I used a DSG  lpk with melonite trigger. Smother than my stock 6920 trigger.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 1:47:51 PM EDT
[#26]
I mostly use RRA, and they're very high quality. I use aftermarket selectors and triggers so I can't speak to the quality of their trigger.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 3:08:30 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I mostly use RRA, and they're very high quality. I use aftermarket selectors and triggers so I can't speak to the quality of their trigger.
View Quote

I just installed a RRA LPK in an Aero lower.

Seemed good enough for gov't work.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 3:58:26 PM EDT
[#28]
Cmmg is the best I have found,  the truer was crisp and consistent,  price was good too.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 4:24:59 PM EDT
[#29]
Rra, psa dpms.

Never had an issue with any of them.

Imo, psa had the best triggers.

Txl
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 4:58:30 PM EDT
[#30]
CMMG is garbage. Absolute worst trigger I've ever come across. Trigger guard pin was really tight.

DPMS kits have peened the bolt catch on me, and the selector detent rounded out after use.

PSA kits have the finish wear off of the mag catch button pretty quick. I've had some with good trigger, and some with mediocre.

WOA w/ the ALG is a good option.

DD kits are my preferred LPK. They have been the most consistent.

Link Posted: 5/23/2015 7:53:53 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
CMMG is garbage. Absolute worst trigger I've ever come across. Trigger guard pin was really tight.

DPMS kits have peened the bolt catch on me, and the selector detent rounded out after use.

PSA kits have the finish wear off of the mag catch button pretty quick. I've had some with good trigger, and some with mediocre.

WOA w/ the ALG is a good option.

DD kits are my preferred LPK. They have been the most consistent.

View Quote

I have yet to come across a decent DD trigger... but its like the lack of consensus of opinion here on this thread any many others... its a trigger lotto when it comes to mil-spec.  Don't want to play the lhr odds when your building your own lower and still want a stock trigger go with an ALG variant.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 7:54:17 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 8:40:49 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

I agree, except for the trigger
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 1:10:45 AM EDT
[#34]
I find little to no difference between Stag and DD. Both are great.

I opt for Stag 99.9 percent of the time
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 10:34:21 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I've dealt with WOA and have an ALG....never put the two together but that would have to be a top-rated combo.

PSA
http://palmettostatearmory.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/540x/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/b/o/bolt_catch.jpg

Standard
http://www.brownells.com/userdocs/products/p_160308100_2.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The best bang for the buck I have seen after several builds is a WOA trigger less lpk and a qms trigger.

PSA
http://palmettostatearmory.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/540x/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/b/o/bolt_catch.jpg

Standard

My PSA kit has a standard paddle, not the coarser.  That being said, I would assume their LPK's are made with whatever subcontracted parts are avaialAble at the time
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 10:40:51 AM EDT
[#36]
They must have changed suppliers.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 11:33:23 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks.
I say no. The DD LPK is $35 higher and all you really gain is a Magpul polymer trigger guard (a $10 item...and I wouldn't want my trigger guard to be plastic).

My last 3 builds I've used the Spikes LPK's because I prefer the roll pins NOT anodized. They run $75....usually. The "in the white" roll pins go in so much easier imo.

It's because it's a different type of pin, not the coating. Typical roll pins are a small sheet of steel rolled into a close-c shape. Spike's roll pins are coiled and tapered slightly on the ends. They compress much easier and thus install easier.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 12:24:32 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

It's because it's a different type of pin, not the coating. Typical roll pins are a small sheet of steel rolled into a close-c shape. Spike's roll pins are coiled and tapered slightly on the ends. They compress much easier and thus install easier.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks.
I say no. The DD LPK is $35 higher and all you really gain is a Magpul polymer trigger guard (a $10 item...and I wouldn't want my trigger guard to be plastic).

My last 3 builds I've used the Spikes LPK's because I prefer the roll pins NOT anodized. They run $75....usually. The "in the white" roll pins go in so much easier imo.

Easy fix for that. Taper them yourself with a belt sander or a sanding drum on a dremel.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 12:46:22 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
Easy fix for that. Taper them yourself with a belt sander or a sanding drum on a dremel.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, it's an easy fix, but I'd rather build a lower without having to tweak stuff.  It would suck if you had to de-burr holes, tweak roll pins, etc. every time you built a lower.  I'll just stick with Spikes LPK's which have been excellent for me.  They're about middle-of-the-road in price.

What I ought to do is just order a supply of the various rool pins that Spikes carries and be done with it.

Link Posted: 5/24/2015 12:50:16 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks.

This ^^^
They are Spirol pins.

Link Posted: 5/24/2015 1:07:33 PM EDT
[#41]
Nope.
All the parts used in DD LPK are used in other LPK's
DD doesn't manufacture  them

Link Posted: 5/24/2015 1:17:53 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Nope.

View Quote

That may be, but it also may be that DD applies their QC to these kits as well.
The DD kit that I used was as perfect as one could expect....worth another $30 ?......nah.

Link Posted: 5/24/2015 1:20:39 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote

This, FTW.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 4:03:25 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Nope.

View Quote

Sure, but DD probably has people going through the parts and sorting out the good from the bad.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 4:06:02 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Sure, but DD probably has people going through the parts and sorting out the good from the bad.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Nope.

DD has stated in the past that they manufacture their own parts, including the lpk minus some miscellaneous small parts that go with the lpk.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 7:28:57 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote

This! I've had good results with Spikes & PSA "Premium" LPK's... Everything goes in nice and snug & even the triggers have been more than decent. ALG's ACT trigger is a very cost effective way to get a solid trigger & LPK in for a substantial value!
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 8:22:09 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

PSA

Standard
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

PSA

Standard

I had the same problem with a Seekins bolt catch from Rainier... Point being, can happen to anyone with any manufacturer... I actually like the surface on the PSA "Premium" parts kit bolt catch better than a standard Mil-Spec.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 8:33:29 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

DD has stated in the past that they manufacture their own parts, including the lpk minus some miscellaneous small parts that go with the lpk.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Nope.

This.

DD makes 99 percent of their stuff in house now. Even their new grips and stocks. The only parts they outsource now are some screws and what not.
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 12:12:57 AM EDT
[#49]
PSA had their Classic kit with ALG Act trigger on sale a few weeks back for $75 delivered. Great deal imo.
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 12:38:06 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

This is a screaming good deal and it seems relatively unknown. I wish I had known about it before my last build.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

During the latest panic, WOA was the only place that had LPKs. I picked one up with the ALG combat trigger. I think I paid 65 bucks. I don't exactly remember.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Top Top