Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/7/2014 7:43:59 PM EDT
Whats the deal with this 2 shot trigger? Anyone else selling just the trigger? Are they any good? I see how this could in theory fall in a gray area with the Feds....details would help as would personal experience.

link left cold cause I don't know how to do it......www.checkmateguns.com
edit...never mind did it by accident
Link Posted: 10/7/2014 7:54:16 PM EDT
[#1]
I remember seeing something similar to this with a Ruger Mini-14, something about modifying a stock trigger pack, not sure of legality, I wouldn't do it.

it says 100% ATF approved on the site.  Would be more interested if they offered it in a rifle and there was a way to make it semi only.
Link Posted: 10/7/2014 7:58:08 PM EDT
[#2]
yeah I want it in a rifle...the ability to select would make it even better!!
Link Posted: 10/7/2014 8:09:36 PM EDT
[#3]
In...Looks really cool...Legality however looks shaky, doesn't one pull of the trigger include reset?
Link Posted: 10/7/2014 8:44:24 PM EDT
[#4]
I think it was in poor taste to shoot the pistol from the shoulder. I guess if your going sketchy might as well go all in...
Link Posted: 10/7/2014 8:45:31 PM EDT
[#5]
So, does this thing have a 3rd selector position that allows you to enable the firing on pull and release, or is does this trigger do that at all times when on fire?

If there isn't a 3rd position, it seems like it's pretty damn pointless.

As to the legality, I'm not exactly sure what the ATF defines as a "trigger pull."  If they define it as a pull and release of the trigger, then this thing obviously doesn't abide by the "only one round discharged pull trigger pull."

Link Posted: 10/7/2014 8:47:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I think it was in poor taste to shoot the pistol from the shoulder. I guess if your going sketchy might as well go all in...
View Quote

That topic has been gone over ad nauseam.  There is absolutely nothing illegal about firing a pistol while it's shouldered, even with the Sig brace.  The ATF has authored letters stating this fact.
Link Posted: 10/7/2014 8:56:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Funny how alot of things that are/were in paintball make its way to firearms.  I remember the R/T triggers in automags (20 something years ago).  Timed right it was nice, otherwise it was a blender.
Link Posted: 10/7/2014 9:00:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

Shooting a pistol from the shoulder was deemed perfectly legal by the ATF tech branch, as long as a stock is not attached, this is why the sig brace is so popular
Link Posted: 10/7/2014 9:03:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
In...Looks really cool...Legality however looks shaky, doesn't one pull of the trigger include reset?
View Quote

No. A machine gun is a firearm that fires more than once per FUNCTION of the trigger. The pull is one function, the reset is another function.

Link Posted: 10/7/2014 9:13:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

No. A machine gun is a firearm that fires more than once per FUNCTION of the trigger. The pull is one function, the reset is another function.

http://i611.photobucket.com/albums/tt194/BulZiPhoto/batferuger2-shot_Trigger.jpg
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i611.photobucket.com/albums/tt194/BulZiPhoto/batferuger2-shot_Trigger.jpg

so why has more companies not made triggers like this? seems like a better option then a slide fire even. This company can not be the only one out there. Plus they only sell the whole pistol
Link Posted: 10/7/2014 9:17:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

so why has more companies not made triggers like this? seems like a better option then a slide fire even. This company can not be the only one out there. Plus they only sell the whole pistol
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That is interesting that it appears to be completely legal.  I'm wondering if they had to modify the receiver in some form or fashion to make this happen and maybe that's why they're only selling it as a complete rifle.
Link Posted: 10/7/2014 9:35:37 PM EDT
[#12]
I would get one if I could get just the trigger set up! even if I had to get a receiver it might be worth the coin to try it out! But not  nearly 2k for a whole pistol
Link Posted: 10/7/2014 9:53:32 PM EDT
[#13]
I was going to post that letter, but someone beat me too it.

ETA: I think you could modify a 3 shot burst trigger and disconnectors such that paired with a standard hammer and a M16 selector the fire position would allow single shots, the third position would allow shot on pull and release. Cut the burst disco so that it always engages - but releases the hammer when the trigger is released. Set the primary disconnector a little farther forward and higher, so if your in pull and release mode and swap it back to the standard fire position it will drop the hammer back onto the primary disconnector.

This would allow someone to safely keep from firing the second shot after the trigger is pulled.

I keep thinking I should write a letter to the ATF about it.
Link Posted: 10/7/2014 10:00:49 PM EDT
[#14]
Fucking retarded.
Link Posted: 10/7/2014 10:02:54 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
so why has more companies not made triggers like this? seems like a better option then a slide fire even.
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/7/2014 10:10:52 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

so why has more companies not made triggers like this? seems like a better option then a slide fire even.

http://counterforce.files.wordpress.com/2009/11/screen-shot-2009-11-01-at-1-39-57-am.png

I don't even use slidefire:

Link Posted: 10/8/2014 1:52:57 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Because having to fire a second shot after the first is an idiotic fucking idea. What do you do if that second shot is unneeded or unsafe? Engage the safety while holding down the trigger (if the design allows for that)?
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 3:21:35 AM EDT
[#18]
Is this available as a drop in trigger unit, or do you have to purchase the entire firearm?
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 8:23:16 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
yeah I want it in a rifle...the ability to select would make it even better!! would be mandatory
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/8/2014 1:36:53 PM EDT
[#20]
Something is up with this. You could build that pistol for 600 or so, add maybe 100 in accessories , the trigger does not seem worth 1300. I also highly doubt its selectable in function.

Link Posted: 10/8/2014 1:41:21 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:Plus they only sell the whole pistol
View Quote

Yeah for $1,995.00    
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 1:51:19 PM EDT
[#22]
im going to stick with SA until I can afford FA.

no slidefire/trick triggers/etc for me.
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 1:53:48 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

View Quote
Your missing out on some fun:

Link Posted: 10/8/2014 2:21:42 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Because having to fire a second shot after the first is an idiotic fucking idea. What do you do if that second shot is unneeded or unsafe? Engage the safety while holding down the trigger (if the design allows for that)?
View Quote

Yep. I've known about this trick for Mini's for years - hell you can do it with a paper clip - but never jacked with it for just that reason.
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 3:58:53 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Yep. I've known about this trick for Mini's for years - hell you can do it with a paper clip - but never jacked with it for just that reason.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, unless a guy had a selector of some type...it is a really stupid idea.
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 4:16:04 PM EDT
[#26]
This
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 10/9/2014 1:39:57 PM EDT
[#27]
Without a letter from the ATF, this is a non starter IMHO. It seems to be a huge safety issue as well.
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 2:00:04 PM EDT
[#28]
This raises a huge red flag with me. Like someone mentioned before, having a round fire when the trigger goes to a reset position can be extremely dangerous. Also, the legality is in question, but first and foremost is the safety factor. Quite frankly, I would tell anyone to refrain from wasting their money on such a device. Unfortunately, there are some idots out there that have and will, I am sure. There is no cure for stupidity. Those with any kind of sense will know better enough to steer away from this trigger system.
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 2:07:40 PM EDT
[#29]
Nice gimmick. Ill just keep contributing to my M16 fund.
Link Posted: 10/10/2014 5:06:22 PM EDT
[#30]
I thought HK had a 2 shot burst in one of their trigger packs years ago.  If someone could design a select able semi/2 shot pull release trigger that could drop into a standard lower and keep the price point under $300, I guarantee that they would sell at least one, probably sell enough to rival slide fire stocks. I would almost never ever use the 2 shot, but having that ability would be kinda cool.

As far as the safety issue, the only way I could see to render that weapon safe would be to drop the mag and manually clear the weapon while holding the trigger down... kinda sketchy.
Link Posted: 10/10/2014 5:12:45 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

I thought HK had a 2 shot burst in one of their trigger packs years ago.  If someone could design a select able semi/2 shot pull release trigger that could drop into a standard lower and keep the price point under $300, I guarantee that they would sell at least one, probably sell enough to rival slide fire stocks. I would almost never ever use the 2 shot, but having that ability would be kinda cool.

As far as the safety issue, the only way I could see to render that weapon safe would be to drop the mag and manually clear the weapon while holding the trigger down... kinda sketchy.
View Quote
If you'll read earlier in the thread i described how a selectable compliant trigger could be built from off the shelf components.  To clear the weapon while in two shot mode with one shot fired you would rotate the safety to the traditional semi auto fire position, release the trigger and then finish rotating the safety to safe.  Then proceed to clear the rifle like normal.

Link Posted: 10/10/2014 5:15:34 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Funny how alot of things that are/were in paintball make its way to firearms.  I remember the R/T triggers in automags (20 something years ago).  Timed right it was nice, otherwise it was a blender.
View Quote

I miss the days when automags and cockers were the top tier paintball guns. I was the first "crazy" person to purchase an unreliable autococker and enjoyed watching mags go down every weekend.
Link Posted: 10/11/2014 3:34:20 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
If you'll read earlier in the thread i described how a selectable compliant trigger could be built from off the shelf components.  To clear the weapon while in two shot mode with one shot fired you would rotate the safety to the traditional semi auto fire position, release the trigger and then finish rotating the safety to safe.  Then proceed to clear the rifle like normal.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I read your first post over again, my understanding of that post was that you would need to have extra holes in the lower. If you could design it so that an entire trigger pack could be purchased and installed with just the two standard pins and a high shelf lower, the take my money already!

On a different note, one of these FCGs on an AR with a butterfly trigger thing and a beta mag would make me all kinds of dork-happy.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 9:36:37 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
I read your first post over again, my understanding of that post was that you would need to have extra holes in the lower. If you could design it so that an entire trigger pack could be purchased and installed with just the two standard pins and a high shelf lower, the take my money already!
On a different note, one of these FCGs on an AR with a butterfly trigger thing and a beta mag would make me all kinds of dork-happy.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

No extra holes would be required.

It took me awhile to track down and modify some pictures so it would be more clear.

First off you will need a 3rd burst trigger kit, it needs to have the wide channel for two separate disconnectors.

Here are the unmodified 3 shot burst parts. (thanks to Quarterbore for providing the picture)

You will need to cut the hook off of the burst disconnector and trim the disco hook that catches the sear on the hammer Like this: (updated with corrected picture, I realize I had a mistake in my first picture)

Use a standard AR15 hammer or cut the rear hook off of an M16 hammer.  Use a 3 position M16 selector, the slot for the auto sear could be welded to prevent it from working in a MG anymore.

Put the parts into any semi-auto lower with the standard set of holes and you get a three position FCG that functions as follows:

Position 1 - Safe

Position 2 - Traditional Semi-Auto

Position 3 - Fire on pull, Fire on release

When using position 3, if you don't want to release a round after the trigger has been pulled, just flip the safety to position 2 and the secondary sear engages preventing the hammer from falling.

Link Posted: 10/28/2014 9:47:21 PM EDT
[#35]
Burst components are expensive.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 11:34:46 PM EDT
[#36]
Corrected my earlier picture with the proper places to trim.

Link Posted: 10/29/2014 11:42:48 PM EDT
[#37]
Run.

Run as fast as you can.

Why play around with this stuff when ATF can and does clamp down so hard? If you want FA that badly, it would be cheaper to go to Vegas and drop $200 on one of the dozens of shooting experiences in town. Sure beats jail too.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 12:15:14 AM EDT
[#38]
Modifications such as this have been acknowledged at legal for decades. Just like using the SIG brace off of your shoulder.
Not sure why all the guys here, who have no idea what they're talking about, feel the need to comment on it.

ETA: Jacqufrost, have you tried that trigger modification yourself? I've not seen anything like that done before.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 12:46:51 AM EDT
[#39]
Ya, it's not a gray area. It's definitely illegal. More than one shot per trigger press. It constitutes a machine gun.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 1:48:58 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Ya, it's not a gray area. It's definitely illegal. More than one shot per trigger press. It constitutes a machine gun.
View Quote

So the ATF letter on previous page means nothing?
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 2:31:21 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote

It's not firing more than once per "press" of the trigger.  It fires one round while depressing the trigger, then another round while letting the trigger out to reset.  The ATF letter on the previous page defines what the law says and this seems to be legal under it.

Yeah, so it's definitely NOT illegal.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 10:05:21 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Modifications such as this have been acknowledged at legal for decades. Just like using the SIG brace off of your shoulder.

Not sure why all the guys here, who have no idea what they're talking about, feel the need to comment on it.

ETA: Jacqufrost, have you tried that trigger modification yourself? I've not seen anything like that done before.
View Quote
I haven't done it.  I would like to try it sometime.

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 1:34:32 PM EDT
[#43]
I've never been able to bump fire an AR but I can bump fire an AK pistol real easy. Thing is a person can actually bump fire at a higher cyclic rate than full auto, I've actually pulled the trigger to soon and got hammer follow, round did not go off. Makes me think you would pretty much get hammer follow every time with this. You'd be releaseing the trigger as the BCG is rearward, thus releaseing the hammer.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 1:41:52 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote

You're wrong. I already posted the ATF letter saying that it is okay. Definition of a machine gun is one shot per FUNCTION of the trigger. NOT pull. The reset of  the trigger is a separate function.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 3:36:32 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

I've never been able to bump fire an AR but I can bump fire an AK pistol real easy. Thing is a person can actually bump fire at a higher cyclic rate than full auto, I've actually pulled the trigger to soon and got hammer follow, round did not go off. Makes me think you would pretty much get hammer follow every time with this. You'd be releaseing the trigger as the BCG is rearward, thus releaseing the hammer.
View Quote
Timing will be an issue, some of that could be managed by speeding up cycle time.  Considering many carbines can cycle close to 900rpm and a good shooter can probably do 400rpm with a regular trigger, if you doubled that rate you would be approaching the 900rpm cliff where you outrun the carrier.  Building an AR that cycles at 1200rpm you probably wouldn't run into it.

If you want to read about semi auto timing issues check out this thread:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_118/655109_BumpSAW_Bump_IAR_Picture_Video_and_theoretical_discussion_thread_.html

Here is a semi running around 750 rpm.

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 7:06:40 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Timing will be an issue, some of that could be managed by speeding up cycle time.  Considering many carbines can cycle close to 900rpm and a good shooter can probably do 400rpm with a regular trigger, if you doubled that rate you would be approaching the 900rpm cliff where you outrun the carrier.  Building an AR that cycles at 1200rpm you probably wouldn't run into it.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_118/655109_BumpSAW_Bump_IAR_Picture_Video_and_theoretical_discussion_thread_.html

http://youtu.be/K-I-g6c2LUQ

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://youtu.be/K-I-g6c2LUQ

So how do you speed up the cyclic rate? Lighter (low mass) BCG, lighter buffer, heavier recoil spring, and over gas the shit out of it?

I don't know why, but all my AKs have a real smooth light trigger pull, they bump super easy! But all my ARs (pretty much all DPMS FCGs) have a pretty heavy trigger pull. I do have one that bumps easy. No idea what FCG because it was my first AR and only one I did not build my self. But anyways, I think I would just settle for a good light and short trigger pull. I just never fealt like spending money on a $200 trigger as my gats are all down and dirty battle guns.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 1:13:21 PM EDT
[#47]
this thread is not about bumpfiring
most bumpfiring is a waste of time and just for s**** and giggles

you are prone bumpfiring which can be effective but under different imperfect conditions im sure youll have trouble.
im sure you have to set it up and learn a technique to do it effectively but as far as standing bumpfire thats a different ballgame
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 4:37:49 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

you are prone bumpfiring which can be effective but under different imperfect conditions im sure youll have trouble.
im sure you have to set it up and learn a technique to do it effectively but as far as standing bumpfire thats a different ballgame
View Quote

He's attempting to recreate a automatic rifle/SAW, there. Like every useful machine gun, it's meant to be fired from the prone, off of a bipod or a tripod, or off of a pintle mount.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 4:41:43 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
He's attempting to recreate a automatic rifle/SAW, there. Like every useful machine gun, it's meant to be fired from the prone, off of a bipod or a tripod, or off of a pintle mount.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I wouldn't say like every useful machinegun.  Home defense and house clearing would benefit from a well trained operator using a machinegun as well.  Intermediate or long distance non-suppressive fire is better suited by semi auto though.

A 5 shot burst in 1/3 second from a controllable rifle caliber machinegun would make an excellent home defense tool IMO.

Link Posted: 10/31/2014 5:02:39 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

So how do you speed up the cyclic rate? Lighter (low mass) BCG, lighter buffer, heavier recoil spring, and over gas the shit out of it?

I don't know why, but all my AKs have a real smooth light trigger pull, they bump super easy! But all my ARs (pretty much all DPMS FCGs) have a pretty heavy trigger pull. I do have one that bumps easy. No idea what FCG because it was my first AR and only one I did not build my self. But anyways, I think I would just settle for a good light and short trigger pull. I just never fealt like spending money on a $200 trigger as my gats are all down and dirty battle guns.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

SNIP

Those can all speed up the cyclic rate, obviously if you start having extraction issues then you have too much gas.  I used a longer gas port, which makes it hard to overgas in the first place.  What's really important is the last 1.5" of travel or so, before that the carrier is still holding the hammer back, you want that last bit to close quickly so the hammer doesn't follow it down.  

A lightened hammer spring will increase travel time for the hammer, and can help ensure you don't follow the carrier.

If you look at the M231, it cycled extremely fast (IIRC around 1400 rpm or so), used a standard bolt, no buffer, three recoil springs and would probably be considered overgassed by most, but it ran fine.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top