Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/13/2014 2:31:16 PM EDT
My first AR ever was a Colt AR15A2 HBAR way back in '93. I didn't know anything back then otherwise I would not have sold the darned thing a few months before the '94 AWB went into effect...

Anyway I thought I was done with 20" rifles until BCM started running their free BCG promo. Now I've ended up with this A4 mashup configuration and could not be happier:

- BCM 20" gov't profile A4 upper
- Cav Arms A1 stock with A2 buttplate (the Cav Arms molded buttplates suck)
- Trijicon TA47-2 2x compact ACOG (right at home on the carry handle, transitions super easy to irons)
- M&P15 complete factory lower I had sitting around

There's something very retro-cool about this one and I really like how light it is despite the barrel length. The A1 stock also makes a huge difference, being much more comfortable to shoulder than the A2. I have plenty of other ARs set up for personal defense or whatever else, so this one will stay pretty unadorned.

Link Posted: 9/13/2014 2:35:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Well, idk about retro since the M16A4 was fielded in 96. But I love it regardless. Needs a KAC rail and ACOG mounted on rail without detatchable carry handle to bring out its inner A4, minus the retro stock
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 2:37:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Well, idk about retro since the M16A4 was fielded in 96. But I love it regardless. Needs a KAC rail and ACOG mounted on rail without detatchable carry handle to bring out its inner A4, minus the retro stock
View Quote

Don't listen to this.  Looks sexy, I have been kicking around the idea of another 20" as the only one I have atm is a dedicated .22 barreled one.  I did an A1 replica and really love the ease of switching from my Colt carry handle scope to irons as well.

ETA:  Didn't even notice you were WI.  Great minds and all!
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 2:48:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Don't listen to this.  Looks sexy, I have been kicking around the idea of another 20" as the only one I have atm is a dedicated .22 barreled one.  I did an A1 replica and really love the ease of switching from my Colt carry handle scope to irons as well.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you actually built an A1 you would know there's a big difference between scoping a fixed carry handle and a removable carry handle when it comes to retro-ism. Not to mention he could simply remove the ACOG and put his carry handle back on if he wanted to "switch to irons" as you call it.

ANYWAYS, OP I think it's a cool A1/A2/A4 regardless. But the purists may not agree
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 3:03:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

If you actually built an A1 you would know there's a big difference between scoping a fixed carry handle and a removable carry handle when it comes to retro-ism. Not to mention he could simply remove the ACOG and put his carry handle back on if he wanted to "switch to irons" as you call it.

ANYWAYS, OP I think it's a cool A1/A2/A4 regardless. But the purists may not agree
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Definitely not a full-on reto build... Hence the "mashup" part.
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 3:13:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yessir, I still think it needs a KAC rail tho Sorry I just have a thing for the M16A4, probably my favorite M16 ever made. With the A2 and A1 tied in a very close second.
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 3:16:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ummmm...... Yeah I ACTUALY built one.  I wouldn't say I built an A1, more A1 style hence its a .22(I hung out in the retro forum for a minute before I did the build and would not consider it accurate enough a replica to post any pics).  

I would say the only real difference between a detachable and nondetachable carry handle is a chance of shots being a little off since he essentially has two points of having to secure his scope but if its all locked down it shouldn't be a problem.  Did I miss anything?  Yes I realize that is an A2 detachable carry handle.  The two carry handle style sights have nearly the same sight picture however although one can be adjusted more.

I like the option of not having to remove anything to go between irons and optics on that particular rifle.

Why all the butthurts?

Anyways nice gun OP, I suppose I'll stop jacking your thread.
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 3:29:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I like the option of not having to remove anything to go between irons and optics on that particular rifle.
View Quote

I agree! I love being able to drop my sight line just a tad to have instant access to the irons. And being on a 20" rifle, the irons are actually pretty useful.

I wasn't sure about the carry handle mounted compact ACOG before I tried it, but the ACOG is mounted so close to the irons that the cheekweld works just fine. It's almost as if Trijicon had carry handle mounting in mind when they designed the darn scope or something...

I also don't plan to shoot this rifle at really short distances so the mechanical offset is a non issue. This is a "zero-at-100-meters-and-bang-away-at-steel-plates" kinda setup.
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 3:32:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I agree! I love being able to drop my sight line just a tad to have instant access to the irons. And being on a 20" rifle, the irons are actually pretty useful.

I wasn't sure about the carry handle mounted compact ACOG before I tried it, but the ACOG is mounted so close to the irons that the cheekweld works just fine. It's almost as if Trijicon had carry handle mounting in mind when they designed the darn scope or something...

I also don't plan to shoot this rifle at really short distances so the mechanical offset is a non issue. This is a "zero-at-100-meters-and-bang-away-at-steel-plates" kinda setup.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was worried eye relief and using the scope mounted so "high", and actually was looking at possible cheek risers before I fully assembled the gun.  After firing it however I found no need for a cheek rest/riser.

Form and function all in one.  

Btw I hear the marines are still using their 20" to do cqb, although they are using carbine stocks now.
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 3:40:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I was worried eye relief and using the scope mounted so "high", and actually was looking at possible cheek risers before I fully assembled the gun.  After firing it however I found no need for a cheek rest/riser.

Btw I hear the marines are still using their 20" to do cqb, although they are using carbine stocks now.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

While the VLTOR A5 stock system was designed for 20" rifle gas ARs and I have seen a few fielded, they really are anything but the norm.

Last I heard the USMC was starting to push in the direction of M4/M4A1s for everyone.  
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 4:13:42 PM EDT
[#10]
I like the looks of your gun. How is the build quality of the Cav Arms A1 stock?
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 4:20:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Cool gun. I like the A1-but-looks-A2 stock.
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 4:23:07 PM EDT
[#12]
IMHO, it doesn't get much better than that glenn.  Nice rifle.  Very nice.
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 4:28:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Ummmm...... Yeah I ACTUALY built one.  I wouldn't say I built an A1, more A1 style hence its a .22(I hung out in the retro forum for a minute before I did the build and would not consider it accurate enough a replica to post any pics).  

I would say the only real difference between a detachable and nondetachable carry handle is a chance of shots being a little off since he essentially has two points of having to secure his scope but if its all locked down it shouldn't be a problem.  Did I miss anything?  Yes I realize that is an A2 detachable carry handle.  The two carry handle style sights have nearly the same sight picture however although one can be adjusted more.

Why all the butthurts?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why all the butthurts?

No butthurts. BTW- there is no such thing as an A2 detatchable handle. Detatchable handle is for the M16A4 and M4A1. M16A2 uses an 8/3 elevation wheel on a fixed carry handle, detatchable handle uses a 6/3 elevation wheel.
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 4:38:19 PM EDT
[#14]
I have always been a HBAR fan and a minority in the AR world. One of my favorites is my Colt 6700 Comp HBAR 20" BARREL with a 4x ACOG  it is deadly on ground hogs. Screw what's popular, screw making an exact replica of a rifle someone in a uniform carries, if it works for you and your needs,  who cares what everyone else thinks.
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 4:47:52 PM EDT
[#15]
Nice rifle.
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 5:58:07 PM EDT
[#16]
Putting a CavArms or A1 stock on a modern A2/A4 makes them much quicker to shoulder, especially with a jacket or vest on. It gets me a little too close to the rear sight in prone but not so much that it bothers me. Good shots can still be made at distance provided I use a consistent cheek weld. Me likey.
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 7:18:21 PM EDT
[#17]
My avatar sorta...
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 7:56:58 PM EDT
[#18]
Nice rifle. In fact, my favorite. Great handling and I use a Magpul rifle stock instead of an A1.
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 9:22:48 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I like the looks of your gun. How is the build quality of the Cav Arms A1 stock?
View Quote

The Cav Arms stock feels more injection molded and bit more "flexy" than an A2. However, it is more than solid enough for general civilian use (i.e. not going to war). The A2 buttplate makes the Cav Arms stock much more usable as well.
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 9:35:58 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

The Cav Arms stock feels more injection molded and bit more "flexy" than an A2. However, it is more than solid enough for general civilian use (i.e. not going to war). The A2 buttplate makes the Cav Arms stock much more usable as well.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Does it actually have flex in it? I need to find which stock I will run on my A1 clone, I havent done too much digging on that yet. But im in the middle of an A2 clone as we speak, using a BCM fixed stock for that one. Should be the bees knees!
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 10:12:37 PM EDT
[#21]
Let's get a sling on it
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 11:49:40 PM EDT
[#22]
Should've been a 16" Dissy, so it'd be an A1, A2, A4, and M4gery.

Edit: Mods wouldn't like Johnny Cash's "One Piece at a Time" embedded. "It's a 49, 50, 51, 52-53, 54, 55, 56-57, 58, 59 automobile..."

Link Posted: 9/14/2014 12:00:25 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Edit: Mods wouldn't like Johnny Cash's "One Piece at a Time" embedded. "It's a 49, 50, 51, 52-53, 54, 55, 56-57, 58, 59 automobile..."

View Quote

Ah man this would make a sick ass dissy bro. May have to build me an A4 dissy and get my gangster lean on with A4 sideways and hot brass flying in my face.
It's goin down. I'm building an A4 inspired dissy
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 9:54:02 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Does it actually have flex in it? I need to find which stock I will run on my A1 clone, I havent done too much digging on that yet. But im in the middle of an A2 clone as we speak, using a BCM fixed stock for that one. Should be the bees knees!
View Quote

If you squeeze the stock sides hard enough you can get the material to give just a little, but it's not like the stock is floppy or unusable. I'm not worried about it, but the A2 stocks I've had seem to be stiffer for sure.
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 9:55:25 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

LOL.

I had a 16.5" Dissy awhile back as well. Even had an M5 RAS on it.
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 5:59:04 PM EDT
[#26]
I like your rifle OP, a lot. I find a H-BAR with a Carbine receiver extension and a Magpul adjustable MOE stock to be very maneuverable and the tits...
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 7:39:34 PM EDT
[#27]
That's pretty much my ideal rifle exempt not an a1 upper with triangles and pencil barrel.

What reticle do you have in the acog?  I've always wanted a 2x
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 9:09:43 PM EDT
[#28]
nice rifle op .
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 9:27:39 PM EDT
[#29]
I wish I still had my 16'' LW A2 rifles with 1.5 mini ACOG....

Very sweet rifle OP.
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 9:40:37 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
That's pretty much my ideal rifle exempt not an a1 upper with triangles and pencil barrel.

What reticle do you have in the acog?  I've always wanted a 2x
View Quote

The scope is a TA47-2 with the amber triangle and black post reticle. The eyebox is set up just right for carry handle mounting. Mfg date on my scope is August 2009 but the tritium is still nice and bright.

The TA47 literally feels like it weighs nothing.
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 9:45:29 PM EDT
[#31]
I have a similar rig and it's very practical. I would suggest having your brl reprofiled to a1 profile. You will like it even more.
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 10:28:55 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
My first AR ever was a Colt AR15A2 HBAR way back in '93. I didn't know anything back then otherwise I would not have sold the darned thing a few months before the '94 AWB went into effect...

Anyway I thought I was done with 20" rifles until BCM started running their free BCG promo. Now I've ended up with this A4 mashup configuration and could not be happier:

- Trijicon TA47-2 2x compact ACOG (right at home on the carry handle, transitions super easy to irons)

There's something very retro-cool about this one and I really like how light it is despite the barrel length. The A1 stock also makes a huge difference, being much more comfortable to shoulder than the A2. I have plenty of other ARs set up for personal defense or whatever else, so this one will stay pretty unadorned.

http://personal.visualitymedia.com/personal/ar15/556_20_ta47_800px.jpg
View Quote

Very very cool.  Do you find it meets your accuracy expectations?  What distance have you shot it to?
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 8:00:14 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Very very cool.  Do you find it meets your accuracy expectations?  What distance have you shot it to?
View Quote

I've only zeroed the scope and irons at 100 meters. Accuracy seems to be in the 1.5-2 MOA range with decent ammo (Southwest Ammo 75gr match), although to be fair I was not really shooting for groups.
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 1:47:07 PM EDT
[#34]
Do you like the amber color for the triangle?
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 5:51:18 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Do you like the amber color for the triangle?
View Quote

Yep, it shows up well against a variety of backgrounds and is just the right size. It has the same issue all ACOGs have of not illuminating well when you're in a dark spot but looking at a bright target, but you can still make out the black post. If I manage to discover some set of circumstances that render the reticle is totally unusable I'll just drop my sight line a half inch and use the irons.
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 6:10:37 PM EDT
[#36]
How much did it set you back?
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 6:15:00 PM EDT
[#37]
Good to see you posting Glenn, haven't seen you around in a while.
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 9:17:41 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

$660 shipped.
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 9:32:06 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Good to see you posting Glenn, haven't seen you around in a while.
View Quote

Been trying to lay low with gun stuff for awhile, trying to convince myself I have other more pressing interests. Obviously not working so well!
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 11:53:13 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

$660 shipped.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

$660 shipped.

That's not bad.  Someday, sigh
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 11:47:10 AM EDT
[#41]
personally i love the old A1 length stocks. A2 is just way too much length and especially when wearing gear.

if you look around long enough you'll find nice old GI A1 stocks. i have 2 of them, one for each of my hybrid A1/A4 builds. the cavarms are not bad though, i have a tan one i use on a scoped rifle, i filled the empty space in the stock with news paper to help give it a better feel.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 5:27:02 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote

I'm done with anything over 14.7" barrels but I really like what you have there. I might just have to build an A4 clone after seeing this though. All I'd do to yours is put a M1S or sling on her and roll...
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 3:34:24 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

I'm done with anything over 14.7" barrels but I really like what you have there. I might just have to build an A4 clone after seeing this though. All I'd do to yours is put a M1S or sling on her and roll...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

you should revisit the 20. they have a such a smooth and linear impulse, no muzzle rise like the shorties. for field work a rifle is not a hindrance and not everything is door kicking CQB. different rifle for different jobs.

and remember velocity is king in the 5.56 world, or at least with 55gr fmj ammo. unless you are lucky enough to have a 10k round stack of barrier ammo for your shortie.

Link Posted: 9/17/2014 5:47:59 PM EDT
[#44]
Irons are also easier on the eyeballs when you get older for some reason.  When I'm looking at the ghost ring on a carbine, everything is blurrier.  For some reason the longer sight radius brings the front post into more focus and the target too.  I don't really understand why that s, because it's the same sized ap at the rear.  But that's what it does for me.  And then the post on a rifle is smaller looking in the smaller ap,  so it gives you a finer sight for accuracy and is also easier to be in focus.  For me anyways.   The older I get.  

And Mr H, you can almost get banned for talk like that.  Or at least it used to be that way.  I used to get flamed for claiming any of that because the M4 is king dude. Didn't you know that?  

Link Posted: 9/17/2014 6:38:29 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Irons are also easier on the eyeballs when you get older for some reason.  When I'm looking at the ghost ring on a carbine, everything is blurrier.  For some reason the longer sight radius brings the front post into more focus and the target too.  I don't really understand why that s, because it's the same sized ap at the rear.  But that's what it does for me.  And then the post on a rifle is smaller looking in the smaller ap,  so it gives you a finer sight for accuracy and is also easier to be in focus.  For me anyways.   The older I get.  

And Mr H, you can almost get banned for talk like that.  Or at least it used to be that way.  I used to get flamed for claiming any of that because the M4 is king dude. Didn't you know that?  

View Quote

"Well, there's your problem!"

You're supposed to focus on the front sight. The aperture should always be fuzzy in your peripheral.

Link Posted: 9/18/2014 11:54:56 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

You're supposed to focus on the front sight. The aperture should always be fuzzy in your peripheral.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
When I'm looking at the ghost ring on a carbine, everything is blurrier.

I think JJREA means the entire sight picture is blurrier (front sight post included) when using irons on a carbine due to the shorter sight radius - especially for us guys with older eyes. I agree it is easier to focus on the front sight with a rifle's longer sight radius.

I took the rifle out to 200 yards the other day and it was easy to ring the E-type silhouette with the 2x ACOG. I was able to group 3 shots into about 3" using Southwest Ammo 75gr match 5.56. Not a definitive measure of accuracy for sure, but not bad, either.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 12:00:50 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote

LOL....how true!  its M4 blasphemy!
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 4:24:51 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

I think JJREA means the entire sight picture is blurrier (front sight post included) when using irons on a carbine due to the shorter sight radius - especially for us guys with older eyes. I agree it is easier to focus on the front sight with a rifle's longer sight radius.

I took the rifle out to 200 yards the other day and it was easy to ring the E-type silhouette with the 2x ACOG. I was able to group 3 shots into about 3" using Southwest Ammo 75gr match 5.56. Not a definitive measure of accuracy for sure, but not bad, either.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, the way I said it was misleading.  I apologize.  I know to focus on the front sight.  But as Glenn said, it's ALL blurrier with a carbine for me.  But drastically so when "employing" the ghost ring.  It's not bad when using the small ap, but it's just something noteworthy that everything becomes crisper to my eyes when using the rifle length sights.  And I like shooting irons, so.....  Carbines annoy me this way.  I like the ghost ring sight but if I have a carbine, and my eyes are watering and bugging out trying to shoot with them, it's not a good thing.  So........  the point of all of it is, the rifle has it's upsides.  A lot of people want to overlook them, but they're there.  

Most people would say, well you need an RDS.  My eyes have issues with them too.  Anyways.....  I like rifles.  There's a lot to like about them.  Yeah, if I was clearing houses regularly, I might not.  But I don't, so......  
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 3:06:31 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
Yeah, the way I said it was misleading.  I apologize.  I know to focus on the front sight.  But as Glenn said, it's ALL blurrier with a carbine for me.  But drastically so when "employing" the ghost ring.  It's not bad when using the small ap, but it's just something noteworthy that everything becomes crisper to my eyes when using the rifle length sights.  And I like shooting irons, so.....  Carbines annoy me this way.  I like the ghost ring sight but if I have a carbine, and my eyes are watering and bugging out trying to shoot with them, it's not a good thing.  So........  the point of all of it is, the rifle has it's upsides.  A lot of people want to overlook them, but they're there.  

Most people would say, well you need an RDS.  My eyes have issues with them too.  Anyways.....  I like rifles.  There's a lot to like about them.  Yeah, if I was clearing houses regularly, I might not.  But I don't, so......  

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I knew whatcha meant, hence the winky face. I agree with the red. I put a non-FF carbine barrel on my NM AR for the winter HP matches last year, and my average score dropped about 10-15 points. I think half of those points lost were because of the sight radius and the other half because it wasn't a match grade barrel - it was surprisingly indifferent to varying sling tension.

Link Posted: 9/19/2014 5:07:24 AM EDT
[#50]
looks great.. I feel the urge to build again...
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top