User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 11/28/2013 1:12:33 PM EDT
I was soo excited to come back home!

I had a PSA armors set waiting for me (the molds and the armorers wrench) a PSA 10.5 upper, a KX3 Flaming Pig, and a DD Rail (the one that works with the A2 front site post)

Sooooo I started getting everything ready, and I'm at the point where I have to remove the A-2 front site from my AR and BOOOOM the pins won't budge.

I've been all over the internet looking for direction, and I'm thiiiiis close to dremeling them out. I've already broke 3 steel punches.

Can anyone give me advice on what to do? I'm desperate here.

I've made sure I was using a nice sturdy work bench (also tried concrete floor), I'm hitting them left to right (according to which side the pin head is largest), Should I call this a loss, start drinking, and just buy some sort of Brownells tool to do this?

Pictures of my shame below.

Link Posted: 11/28/2013 1:14:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Did you try tapping the other side?
Link Posted: 11/28/2013 1:15:05 PM EDT
[#2]
They are taper pins and you are driving them from the wrong side
Link Posted: 11/28/2013 1:15:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Soak the area generously with break free and let sit, get a punch that isn't soft, tape off around the pins, use some blocks of wood to support things better.  They will go eventually.  Add some heat if necessary and repeat.
Link Posted: 11/28/2013 1:15:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

ummmm. . . *cough*. . . really?
Link Posted: 11/28/2013 1:16:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Take a torch to it heat it up- and try tapping from the other side.
Those pins are ruined - drill wouldn't be bad.
Get it hot and flip her over :)
Link Posted: 11/28/2013 1:19:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Soak the area generously with break free and let sit, get a punch that isn't soft, tape off around the pins, use some blocks of wood to support things better.  They will go eventually.  Add some heat if necessary and repeat.
View Quote

The punches are all steel. . I've been hitting the shit out of this thing.

Everywhere I looked told me that for PSA (and most brands) you hit left and the pins come out of the right. Am I wrong on this?
Link Posted: 11/28/2013 1:20:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Everywhere I looked told me that for PSA (and most brands) you hit left and the pins come out of the right. Am I wrong on this?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, that's generally correct.  Sometime they are straight pins though.
Link Posted: 11/28/2013 1:20:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep, lol.
Link Posted: 11/28/2013 1:22:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Yep, lol.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep, lol.

wait those post above yours says otherwise?

HELL I might as well try (figure they're fukd anyways) at this point I might as well get out the dremel
Link Posted: 11/28/2013 1:23:04 PM EDT
[#10]
pics of the other side of the FSB.......
Link Posted: 11/28/2013 1:24:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

HELL I might as well try (figure they're fukd anyways) at this point I might as well get out the dremel
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep, lol.

Don't dremel! Tap other side first!  

ETA: thats why your punches are soft. They break so the pins stay the same, I doubt the pins are ruined.
Link Posted: 11/28/2013 1:25:15 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
pics of the other side of the FSB.......
View Quote

looks the exact same (I couldn't take a pic that would show if the heads are bigger) except I haven't destroyed the finish
Link Posted: 11/28/2013 1:26:04 PM EDT
[#13]
No, it drive them out to the right you are right. WTF arfcom?
You try using a vise? I've put a couple sockets over the right side and broke them free with a vise before
Link Posted: 11/28/2013 1:29:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes really.
Link Posted: 11/28/2013 1:30:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Op,   if the side you're bashing is smaller than the side you're not,  then you're good.   Grab a larger punch (once you have the head of the pin started,  then you can use a pin-diameter size),  and pound away.   I've had a couple through the shop that I have literally beat the dog shit out of,  but eventually gave after my thinking they wouldn't.   Just grab a larger punch with more surface area and get them flush.
Link Posted: 11/28/2013 1:30:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Yes really.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes really.

Jesus christ, I'm more confused now than 2 hours ago.

everywhere I looked told me you drive them out the right side. Can anyone give me a definitive?
Link Posted: 11/28/2013 1:31:07 PM EDT
[#17]
1. Take a decent caliper and measure the diameter of both sides to find the small end. Then drive from the small side.
2.  Use a much larger punch to start with until they begin to move. I usually use a 1/4" diameter punch to get them started, then it switch to a smaller punch.
3.  The suggestion of soaking them with penetrating oil first is a good idea. I always do that.
Link Posted: 11/28/2013 1:31:37 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Op,   if the side you're bashing is smaller than the side you're not,  then you're good.   Grab a larger punch (once you have the head of the pin started,  then you can use a pin-diameter size),  and pound away.   I've had a couple through the shop that I have literally beat the dog shit out of,  but eventually gave after my thinking they wouldn't.   Just grab a larger punch with more surface area and get them flush.
View Quote

I'm fairly confident I'm hitting the right side.

The punch I took a picture of (sorry for scale) is my bigger punch. The small ones I had too much problems properly aligning them.
Link Posted: 11/28/2013 1:33:03 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

The punch I took a picture of (sorry for scale) is my bigger punch. The small ones I had too much problems properly aligning them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

alright guys I'm going to soak it with liquid wrench and see what happens
Link Posted: 11/28/2013 1:33:34 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
1. Take a decent caliper and measure the diameter of both sides to find the small end. Then drive from the small side.
2.  Use a much larger punch to start with until they begin to move. I usually use a 1/4" diameter punch to get them started, then it switch to a smaller punch.
3.  The suggestion of soaking them with penetrating oil first is a good idea. I always do that.
View Quote

Do the first two here. I have had to do this on a few PSA barrels. They are tight as hell even when driving from the right side. They will move though. Change to the smaller punch once they move.
Link Posted: 11/28/2013 1:37:43 PM EDT
[#21]
In for the destruction.
Link Posted: 11/28/2013 1:40:16 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
In for the destruction.
View Quote

haha, alright my family is hanging out drinking while I grind my teeth in the garage.

Can anyone just definitively tell me if I'm going from the wrong side? Unfortunately I don't have calipers as I'm at my folks house
Link Posted: 11/28/2013 1:43:19 PM EDT
[#23]
hard to say with just one pic (although i kind of think it is the wrong side). why not try the other side so youll know for sure? its definitely better than drilling them out
Link Posted: 11/28/2013 1:43:52 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

everywhere I looked told me you drive them out the right side. Can anyone give me a definitive?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes really.

Left or right doesn't matter. Drive the bitches from the small end, if they've got one.

And back it up. Those things need a good solid whack to get them going.
Link Posted: 11/28/2013 1:45:33 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Yes really.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes really.

No.

Unless the manufacturer of his rifle drilled them the opposite way, or they are straight pins, he is driving them the correct way.  They drive out from left to right and in from right to left, when looking at the top of the rifle with the barrel pointed up.

Of course the best way to check this is to measure the taper pin size on each side and drive the smaller end to get them out
Link Posted: 11/28/2013 1:47:09 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Left or right doesn't matter. Drive the bitches from the small end, if they've got one.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes really.

Well, I'm not 6"4, ripped, and drive a lambo like most here but I've been hitting it pretty hard.

I don't have calipers but I'm 99% positive I'm hitting them from the smaller side
Link Posted: 11/28/2013 1:49:22 PM EDT
[#27]
Alright everyone, I really appreciate the input.

I'm going to soak it in some liquid wrench and continue my efforts after some much needed Thanksgiving drinking (I'm sure that will solve my problems )

I'll be sure to post pictures if I destroy the site and or bloody myself.

Happy Thanksgiving ARF
Link Posted: 11/28/2013 1:50:12 PM EDT
[#28]
My Colt came out from the other side. You should be able to visually discern that one side is bigger than the other, tap the smaller side. Which will be the ejection side.
Link Posted: 11/28/2013 1:52:40 PM EDT
[#29]
I mean back it up by supporting the sight base really well.

I've had to put them in a Kurt mill vise and build a support for it a couple times.
Otherwise they bounce too much.

The way your punch is peened makes me think there's too many timid hits.
Link Posted: 11/28/2013 1:52:43 PM EDT
[#30]
Cut them out! ENTERTAIN ME!!!
Link Posted: 11/28/2013 2:00:48 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I've had to put them in a Kurt mill vise and build a support for it a couple times.

View Quote

Well I just poured myself a big glass of coke and Koloa Rum, so about 45 minutes from now i'll be destroying my fingers to prove you wrong.
Link Posted: 11/28/2013 2:03:17 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
My Colt came out from the other side. You should be able to visually discern that one side is bigger than the other, tap the smaller side. Which will be the ejection side.
View Quote

It is visually discernible and I will be tapping them out the ejection side as well.

FYI, the folks are arguing over the Sea-tac 15$ minimum wage law so for the sanctity of peace of mind I might be better just working on AR stuff all day.

Since I have you all here, are there some cool stuff I can buy so I don't have to deal with this problem in the future? This is my 4th AR (first with an A2 front sight) and I have 2 more coming from PSA with A2's in them.

What tools do you recommend? Brownells looks like they had some good stuff
Link Posted: 11/28/2013 2:03:30 PM EDT
[#33]
I just measured the pins on my PSA upper and they would go out from left to right.
Link Posted: 11/28/2013 2:14:07 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lol.

Shaved fsb ftw anyway
Link Posted: 11/28/2013 2:23:15 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

No.

Unless the manufacturer of his rifle drilled them the opposite way, or they are straight pins, he is driving them the correct way.  They drive out from left to right and in from right to left, when looking at the top of the rifle with the barrel pointed up.

Of course the best way to check this is to measure the taper pin size on each side and drive the smaller end to get them out
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes really.

No.

These are tapered pins. I have a few of these barrels. Based on the heads of the pins it looks like he is driving them from the wrong side.
Link Posted: 11/28/2013 2:25:27 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

These are tapered pins. I have a few of these barrels. Based on the heads of the pins it looks like he is driving them from the wrong side.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes really.

No.

I'm sorry but if this is true I will be laughing my ass off. I'm not laughing at you, I'm laughing with you. .. ()
Link Posted: 11/28/2013 2:27:08 PM EDT
[#37]
Looks like PSA taper pins are the same as Colt's and BCM's. I learned the hard way that you can't use a punches and hammer on these taper pins, so after spending a lot of money on punches and destroying FSB's, my dad, who is a machinist/mechanical engineer by trade, made a aluminum plate to fit different AR barrels, a assorted set of punches, and installed a chuck to hold the punches on our hydraulic press. Now my taper pins come off without damaging the taper pins or marring the finish on my FSB.
Link Posted: 11/28/2013 2:28:02 PM EDT
[#38]

Definitely the wrong side.  Use a good punch of 1/4" or BIGGER just to start them.  Put it on a concrete floor and back it up.  This plan works every single time for me.

Use a good heavy hammer, and hit it like you mean it. The concrete floor will not give or bounce, and helps a bunch.

The bigger punch makes it so damn much easier to start them, then use the smaller punch to drive them through
Link Posted: 11/28/2013 2:29:00 PM EDT
[#39]
Wrong way stud....
Link Posted: 11/28/2013 2:33:39 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Well I just poured myself a big glass of coke and Koloa Rum, so about 45 minutes from now i'll be destroying my fingers to prove you wrong.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's the spirit!
Link Posted: 11/28/2013 2:35:56 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes really.

No.

It does look that way.  But taper pins typically go the other way.
Link Posted: 11/28/2013 2:41:00 PM EDT
[#42]
My BCM and Bushmaster uppers were a major pain. I got them out by hitting on the right side. Try it, what do you have to lose?
Link Posted: 11/28/2013 2:43:27 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes really.

No.

I'm telling you guys, the pins have "heads" on both sides and the side I'm hitting is the smaller or the two.

I'm 2 glasses deep and about to go see if the Liquid Wrench is working!
Link Posted: 11/28/2013 2:43:34 PM EDT
[#44]
hardened steel punch
Link Posted: 11/28/2013 2:47:24 PM EDT
[#45]
Old school tag.
Link Posted: 11/28/2013 2:47:47 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Try using the correct tools, solid support & being sober.

In for the WECSOG
Link Posted: 11/28/2013 2:56:52 PM EDT
[#47]
This could get good...

I'm rootin' for ya OP!!!
Link Posted: 11/28/2013 2:58:15 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

In for the WECSOG
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

In for the WECSOG

How dare you. . . On Thanksgiving no less.
Link Posted: 11/28/2013 3:02:00 PM EDT
[#49]
FYI liquid wrench did not do the trick (let it soak for a bit)

Again for all you "use the right tool folks" feel free to add the link and I'm happy to buy them.

I honestly thought that with the Vice blocks, amorers wrench, and a decent set of punches I'd be able to add a rail and a F/H to this bad boy but apparently not.

Folks are about to eat dinner so I need to make nice so I get some delicious Turkey and additional shots of the fancy rum.

Thanks for all the advice guys.

FYI: Briefly tried hitting the other side, I'm 100% sure (after a couple drinks) that I'm hitting the right side (not literally but right as in you're wrong) due to the fact the heads are noticeably larger on the side I haven't hit much.

If I'm wrong on this and I've been hitting the wrong side this whole time, not only will I admit it in this thread but I'll buy a membership for a 2013'er on GD (I know I don't have one myself but with the feedback I don't feel I need to renew like I used to)
Link Posted: 11/28/2013 3:08:44 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I was soo excited to come back home!

I had a PSA armors set waiting for me (the molds and the armorers wrench) a PSA 10.5 upper, a KX3 Flaming Pig, and a DD Rail (the one that works with the A2 front site post)

Sooooo I started getting everything ready, and I'm at the point where I have to remove the A-2 front site from my AR and BOOOOM the pins won't budge.

I've been all over the internet looking for direction, and I'm thiiiiis close to dremeling them out. I've already broke 3 steel punches.

Can anyone give me advice on what to do? I'm desperate here.

I've made sure I was using a nice sturdy work bench (also tried concrete floor), I'm hitting them left to right (according to which side the pin head is largest), Should I call this a loss, start drinking, and just buy some sort of Brownells tool to do this?

Pictures of my shame below.

http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc33/weckerm/Punch_zps752c8cd3.jpg

http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc33/weckerm/A2_zpsd3dc429b.jpg

View Quote

This look like the large side of the pins. Any pins that I have encountered, the tip of the small diameter end of the pin is smaller than the hole diameter the in FSB and the pins sit much lower in the hole.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top