Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/31/2011 4:21:19 PM EDT
I have a quick question. For my build im using a Multi-caliber lower receiver. From my understanding i can use pretty much 5.56, 223,6.5 creedmoor, 6.8 spc, 5.7, 243, 5.56x54 uppers. Am i correct on this statement?

Thanks in advance
Shayne
Link Posted: 10/31/2011 4:38:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes, but not because it's engraved "multi".

You can run whatever AR upper (regardless of caliber) on any AR lower (regardless of markings)
Link Posted: 10/31/2011 4:52:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I have a quick question. For my build im using a Multi-caliber lower receiver. From my understanding i can use pretty much 5.56, 223,6.5 creedmoor, 6.8 spc, 5.7, 243, 5.56x54 uppers. Am i correct on this statement?

Thanks in advance
Shayne

If I'm not mistaken, you CANNOT use 6.5 creedmoor in an AR-15 lower. I think that requires an AR-10 lower, but I could be wrong. You might have meant 6.5 Grendel in which case you would be good to go for any of the calibers you mentioned.
Link Posted: 10/31/2011 4:57:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks guys!
Link Posted: 10/31/2011 5:00:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Yes, but not because it's engraved "multi".

You can run whatever AR upper (regardless of caliber) on any AR lower (regardless of markings)

+1.  the caliber engraving does not lock a lower reciever into a certain caliber.  most AR lowers now come with multi for the caliber because variants are becomming more and more popular so the manufacturers decided putting multi would be a little more appropriate.  you can use google or look in the AR variant forum and find all the other 92 cartridges that can be fired from a standard ar15 lower.

243 will not work in an ar15 upper IIRC, it needs an AR10 lower.
Link Posted: 10/31/2011 5:02:51 PM EDT
[#5]
There are many other caliber uppers besides what you have mentioned  that can be fitted to an AR-15 style (short action) lower.
Link Posted: 11/1/2011 3:28:53 AM EDT
[#6]
This is good information, thanks for the clarification on the 243.  Im trying to get a setup that is fun for me, but also for my two daughters who also love to shoot.

Thanks
Shayne
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top