Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/15/2011 6:39:17 PM EDT
Guys, let me first state that I'm not a professional product reviewer so please bare with me.  I'm just a Navy vet and current enthusiast that brought an idea to IWC and was lucky enough that they took it seriously and brought it to market.  Let me know if you have any questions about this and I'll answer what I can, I'm sure that Earl at IWC will be opening a thread in the New Products section soon but I thought I'd share my impressions:

Let me preface this product review by stating that prior to approaching Earl about making this part I had never had any dealings or affiliation with IWC.  
I approached Earl at a Tanner gunshow a few months ago out of frustration.  I, like many of you I’m sure, was disappointed that Magpul did not incorporate any sort of ASAP functionality into the UBR.  When you have a flagship stock you’d think that you’d design it to take advantage of your flagship sling.

I was tired of the binding and unbalanced feel of transitions with the side mounted sling swivel on my UBR and figured it wouldn’t be a difficult task to remedy the issue.  When I spoke to Earl he immediately said that IWC would gladly look into it and get a prototype created.  Yeah, we’ve all heard that before, promises that would likely be forgotten within five minutes of me stepping away from their table.

That’s why I was so surprised when I next spoke to Earl that they had a prototype and wanted me to meet up and check it out.  It was a slick design, but both Earl and I agreed that there were clearance issues and perhaps a simpler solution would be best.  A few months later we met up to check out revision two.  It too had a few issues, a little binding and while smaller, it still had clearance issues.  While impressed with the engineering and effort being put into this solution I was concerned that the challenges with clearance were too great and that any solution would just fall a little short of expectations.

That was until he called me to check out the third prototype and eventual production model.  It was a very simple design, no moving parts, no bells or whistles, but most importantly, no clearance issues.  A simple piece of milled aluminum with a loop to accommodate the quick-release hook of an MS2.

Installation is simple, remove the quick-disconnect swivels from the UBR, slide off the aluminum bracket and replace it with IWCs mount.  It takes about 2 minutes and no special tools or gunsmithing.  The marriage of the IWC sling adapter and the UBR is perfect, if the piece I had wasn’t raw aluminum I’d swear it came that way.

Once I hooked up my sling and let my rifle hang I knew we had a winner.  With the centered hoop and no oblong swivel my rifle hangs the way it was meant to, not wanting to twist, not unbalanced in any way.  Transitions are now seamless, it’s utterly flickable.  I don’t need to run my sling super loose to be able to throw it from shoulder to shoulder.  This is how the UBR should have been made.

Thanks to Earl and all the people at IWC for sticking with and delivering a great solution.  I’ll be running these on all my rifles from now on and will definitely be recommending them to anyone who runs a UBR.

When I wrote this the unit was still in the prototype stage and still didn’t have a name.  I recently met with Earl to swap out the proto unit for the first production unit.  The unit is now named the CSAP and is already available at http://www.impactweaponscomponents.com/product/c-s-a-p-mount-n-slot/ and they also have a QD model so if you’ve been waiting for this as I have, you should check them out.

And here are the pics:
the proto:

Comparison with normal QD:

Closeup:
Link Posted: 5/15/2011 7:30:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Thats perfect. Looks like I can finally run my HK style slings on my UBR rifles. Hell yeah.
Link Posted: 5/15/2011 8:00:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Looks like a great idea and coming from IWC I'm sure it is a top notch product
Link Posted: 5/16/2011 3:45:44 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/16/2011 5:35:56 AM EDT
[#4]
I've been playing with a pre-production version of this for a few weeks now - it's great!
Link Posted: 5/16/2011 6:56:18 AM EDT
[#5]
Looks great- I have been waiting for this improvement on this awesome stock-  Order placed-  great customer service from impact weapons components - I received a phone call within 5 minutes of placing order thanking me for the order and that it was shipped.
Link Posted: 5/16/2011 10:12:01 AM EDT
[#6]
Nice HK...
Link Posted: 5/16/2011 11:27:46 AM EDT
[#7]
Very cool!
Link Posted: 5/18/2011 9:03:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Is it steel or aluminum? Their site didn't specify.
Link Posted: 5/18/2011 9:25:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Just received mine in the mail today.  Wow. Worth the money. MAGPUL should of done this in the first place.   If you have a UBR then get this replacement part.
Link Posted: 5/19/2011 3:50:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Definitely looks promising/interesting, but I kind of like the chain link that was used on the ASAP plate because I'm use to it.
Link Posted: 5/20/2011 7:01:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Is it steel or aluminum? Their site didn't specify.

It's aluminum.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top