Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/23/2011 10:51:53 AM EDT
I just sold my SPR to finance a DMR build, but now I have sellers remorse, but what real advantages does the SPR have over a DMR?  Basicly your gaining 2" of barrel with the DMR.  I keep thinking another REECE build might be a better more useable platform, as going from 18" to 16" isnt the major or is it? I remember once reading the original reason for a 18" barrel was to keep from getting stuck with a 20" cl barrels which were in the supply chain allready?  Wouldnt the 20" DMR be a better barrel for overall ballistics and accuracy at longer ranges?
Link Posted: 1/23/2011 11:47:16 AM EDT
[#1]
Those 2 inches would give you more velocity, but do nothing for accuracy. The 18 inch barrel is a short as you can reliably go with a rifle length gas system. Also, the velocity loss from 20 inches is minimal.
Link Posted: 1/23/2011 1:34:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Honestly you don't gain too much velocity going from 18 to 20, but you will notice the 2" mobility wise. I would definitely go with a 16" build.

ETA: barrel length has nothing to do with accuracy. If anything shorter barrels are more accurate they are stiffer.

here is a velocity table from MSTN using m193

16" 3075 FPS
18" 3245 FPS
20" 3254 FPS

only gain 9 fps going from 18 to 20
Link
Link Posted: 1/23/2011 4:42:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Honestly you don't gain too much velocity going from 18 to 20, but you will notice the 2" mobility wise. I would definitely go with a 16" build.

ETA: barrel length has nothing to do with accuracy. If anything shorter barrels are more accurate they are stiffer.

16" 3075 FPS
18" 3245 FPS
20" 3254 FPS

Link

Quite allot going from 20 or 18 to 16, I see, I have a one REECE now, I just cant decide on another REECE or a SPR
ETA, Might just sell my newly completed DMR for a SPR
Link Posted: 1/23/2011 4:50:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:

16" 3075 FPS
18" 3245 FPS
20" 3254 FPS

Link

Quite allot going from 20 or 18 to 16, I see, I have a one REECE now, I just cant decide on another REECE or a SPR

I'm a bit biased toward shorter bbls, my 10.5 is my fav rifle. The only advantage IMO of the 18" barrels is its able to use a rifle length gas tube, which makes it run a little "Smoother". You should decide what length based on your needs. What will be its primary use? Competition, Hunting, Bench Shooting, HD, Kicking down doors, Rec?

ETA: if you do build another RECCE take a look at MSTN and their intermediate length gas system for there 16" barrels
Link Posted: 1/23/2011 4:53:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

16" 3075 FPS
18" 3245 FPS
20" 3254 FPS

Link

Can you explain the math in this?? I know I am the owner of a lowly BS in Mechanical Engineering but the basic math is what gets me.
Link Posted: 1/23/2011 4:56:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

16" 3075 FPS
18" 3245 FPS
20" 3254 FPS

Link

Can you explain the math in this?? I know I am the owner of a lowly BS in Mechanical Engineering but the basic math is what gets me.

which part?
20" barrel has a velocity of 3254fps 18" barrel has a velocity of 3245fps
3254-3245=9fps therefor you only gain 9 fps going from a 18" to a 20"
Link Posted: 1/23/2011 4:58:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Because the gas Port is at the same point the pressure pushing the bullet drops at the same point in both so the 20 doesn't gain much more velocity
Link Posted: 1/23/2011 5:02:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Because the gas Port is at the same point the pressure pushing the bullet drops at the same point in both so the 20 doesn't gain much more velocity

i never thought about that, but from what i have observed with 14.5 ML and 16 ML your theory makes sense. Going from 14.5 to 16 you gain very very little...
Link Posted: 1/23/2011 5:30:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Interesting. I would wonder why the manufacturers and military would even bother with the 20". 9 FPS should in all essence make the 20" obsolete compared to the 18"
Link Posted: 1/23/2011 5:32:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

16" 3075 FPS
18" 3245 FPS
20" 3254 FPS

Link

I'm a bit biased toward shorter bbls, my 10.5 is my fav rifle. The only advantage IMO of the 18" barrels is its able to use a rifle length gas tube, which makes it run a little "Smoother". You should decide what length based on your needs. What will be its primary use? Competition, Hunting, Bench Shooting, HD, Kicking down doors, Rec?

ETA: if you do build another RECCE take a look at MSTN and their intermediate length gas system for there 16" barrels

My REECE is a middy, I wouldnt think of usining a carbine system on anything other than 11" or less, but then you  kind of have to
Link Posted: 1/23/2011 5:44:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

16" 3075 FPS
18" 3245 FPS
20" 3254 FPS

Link

My REECE is a middy, I wouldnt think of usining a carbine system on anything other than 11" or less, but then you  kind of have to

I didnt really understand that statement

Since you already have a 16" i would get a BCM 14.5 middy

Link Posted: 1/23/2011 9:15:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

16" 3075 FPS
18" 3245 FPS
20" 3254 FPS

Link

I have one REECE, I have always like 20'rs and SPR's so I built another DMR, but sellers remores on the SPR, has made me think of selling my new DMR before I get attached, do another SPR, and maybe another REECE.  I have never been a 14.5 fan, since we have to have 16" anyway.  I dont need the compact ness, since I'm not busting down doors, but I do bust a few yotes.
Link Posted: 1/24/2011 6:08:04 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

16" 3075 FPS
18" 3245 FPS
20" 3254 FPS

Link

I have one REECE, I have always like 20'rs and SPR's so I built another DMR, but sellers remores on the SPR, has made me think of selling my new DMR before I get attached, do another SPR, and maybe another REECE.  I have never been a 14.5 fan, since we have to have 16" anyway.  I dont need the compact ness, since I'm not busting down doors, but I do bust a few yotes.

I see, in that case I say you keep the DMR if it is a good shooter.
Btw I use to hunt coyotes with my 10.5/12.5 back in NM and I also kick down doors with it (well a 11.5)
Link Posted: 1/24/2011 6:38:18 AM EDT
[#14]
I personally like the recce configuration the most. I think it is an incredibly versatile platform.
Link Posted: 1/24/2011 11:44:44 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

16" 3075 FPS
18" 3245 FPS
20" 3254 FPS

Link

Btw I use to hunt coyotes with my 10.5/12.5 back in NM and I also kick down doors with it (well a 11.5)

True, but its fricken heavy, and it doenst bring anything over the SPR to the table, so why not gain a shorter rifle that shoots just as far, just as accurate?  Plus I have a OPS 12th model
Link Posted: 1/24/2011 12:40:36 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

16" 3075 FPS
18" 3245 FPS
20" 3254 FPS

Link

True, but its fricken heavy, and it doenst bring anything over the SPR to the table, so why not gain a shorter rifle that shoots just as far, just as accurate?  Plus I have a OPS 12th model

if its not too much trouble then sell of the 20" and go back to the 18".

what do you use your SPR/DMR for? If its a bench range gun then I would leave it . If you use it for hunting then go back to the 18", but i doubt there there is something your 18/20" can do much better than your 16" if your shooting 600yards or less.
Link Posted: 1/24/2011 5:12:14 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

16" 3075 FPS
18" 3245 FPS
20" 3254 FPS

Link

what do you use your SPR/DMR for? If its a bench range gun then I would leave it . If you use it for hunting then go back to the 18", but i doubt there there is something your 18/20" can do much better than your 16" if your shooting 600yards or less.

Coyotes, and the SPR is soooooooooo much handier, plus I have the OPS, cant hunt with it, or shoot it in this state for now, but I own it, and it has no home right now
Link Posted: 1/24/2011 5:48:24 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

16" 3075 FPS
18" 3245 FPS
20" 3254 FPS

Link

Coyotes, and the SPR is soooooooooo much handier, plus I have the OPS, cant hunt with it, or shoot it in this state for now, but I own it, and it has no home right now

Sounds to me you miss your SPR. You should rebuild it again
Link Posted: 1/24/2011 7:22:29 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Sounds to me you miss your SPR. You should rebuild it again

Continue quoting from here...
Link Posted: 1/25/2011 6:04:03 PM EDT
[#20]
I guess a better question is why you are hung up on these labels.

Figure out how this rifle will be used. Choose the best barrel length and weight. Choose an optic that will fit your needs. There you go.

Call the rifle you create whatever you want.
Link Posted: 1/25/2011 8:31:28 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I guess a better question is why you are hung up on these labels.

Figure out how this rifle will be used. Choose the best barrel length and weight. Choose an optic that will fit your needs. There you go.

Call the rifle you create whatever you want.

I'm not, my DMR/SAMR what ever is close, but not exact other than a 20" stainless, no front sight gas block, full LaRue rail, Vortex etc, but I love the specs and handiness of the Mark12 MOD 0, with a LMT SOPMOD collapsable
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top