Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/14/2011 1:44:34 PM EDT
I saw a magazine ad for the LAR side charging AR, so I went to their website and learned that you can buy a forged side charging upper receiver, with BCG, for $300.

LAR Grizzly OPS-4 receivers

Who else makes side charging receivers.

Has anyone here built one yet?

I wonder if it would be possible to build a side charger in 458 SOCOM?  

Link Posted: 1/14/2011 1:51:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Mega makes a receiver, you can usually find one cheap on GB or Rainier stocks them.  ar15performance.com sells bolt carriers as does Young Manufacturing.  Don't go to Young's website right now though as someone has hacked it and is sending out a virus.  ASA sells a left side version.  IIRC $350 for the receiver and $100 for the modified carrier.

My 6.8 is a Mega with a Young carrier and the 5.56 I'm building is the same set-up.

Link Posted: 1/14/2011 1:56:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Here is a guy building a 50 Beowulf for comparison.

Link Posted: 1/14/2011 1:57:19 PM EDT
[#3]
The LAR side chargers are available left, right, and ambi (handle on both sides).  It seems like if the charging handle was on the left it might nail your hand when you hit the bolt release.

Link Posted: 1/14/2011 2:00:23 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

The LAR side chargers are available left, right, and ambi (handle on both sides).  It seems like if the charging handle was on the left it might nail your hand when you hit the bolt release.

Possibly, I don't think it would take long to redevelop muscle memory though.  One or two ouches and you'll remember to just stick your thumb up to release it.

Link Posted: 1/14/2011 2:13:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Alexander & MEGA.  I have both.  As far as I can tell both are the same and use Young BCG's.  
The Alexander cost a lot more.
http://megamachineshop.com/armscatalog/005SPUBILLETUPPERWOSIDECHARGINGHANDLESLOT-M0301/loader.html
Buy from Rainier and Young

SEE BELOW
Link Posted: 1/14/2011 2:54:03 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Alexander & MEGA.  I have both.  As far as I can tell both are the same and use Young BCG's.  

http://megamachineshop.com/armscatalog/005SPUBILLETUPPERWOSIDECHARGINGHANDLESLOT-M0301/loader.html

Not that one, this one.

Link Posted: 1/14/2011 4:04:59 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not that one, this one.  

OK I have been wanting to do this for a while, so I have a question, can you just drill and tap a normal BCG to have the charging handle? or would it be cheaper just to go with the kit.

Im actually wanting to build a dedicated bolt action ar15 with Olympic ghost ring sites front and rear.

Link Posted: 1/14/2011 4:25:50 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not that one, this one.  

OK I have been wanting to do this for a while, so I have a question, can you just drill and tap a normal BCG to have the charging handle? or would it be cheaper just to go with the kit.

Im actually wanting to build a dedicated bolt action ar15 with Olympic ghost ring sites front and rear.

You can do it yourself if you have the basic skills to do so.  

Locate where the hole needs to be

Drill hole

Tap

Make and thread handle

Install

When hunting season comes around my AR's will be converted to bolt actions because PA Game Commission doesn't allow semi-autos.

Link Posted: 1/14/2011 4:34:21 PM EDT
[#9]
That seems like it's quite a bit cheaper than the last time i looked at "left" side chargers.

Do want the AMBI version.
Link Posted: 1/14/2011 4:56:54 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not that one, this one.  

Drill hole

Tap

Make and thread handle

Install

When hunting season comes around my AR's will be converted to bolt actions because PA Game Commission doesn't allow semi-autos.

What about the gas tube? I want to do one without a gas tube and manually cycle each round.

Link Posted: 1/14/2011 5:50:35 PM EDT
[#11]
ASA makes a non-reciprocating left side charging upper in 5.56, 6.5, 6.8, 7.62 and .308. Much nicer than having a big knurled knob flying back and forth.
I'm not sure about any extra gas being blown out the slot on these (or any side charge) but I'd personally go with an adjustable gas piston upper in any case.

Link Posted: 1/14/2011 7:39:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Those ASA Side chargers are pricey!  I've had good luck with LAR lower receivers in the past, I am inclined to try one of their side charging uppers for my next build.

Link Posted: 1/14/2011 7:47:41 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not that one, this one.  

Drill hole

Tap

Make and thread handle

Install

What about the gas tube? I want to do one without a gas tube and manually cycle each round.

All you have to do is remove the tube from your gas block and mount it backwards or get a spare low pro gas block and install it backwards.  

Link Posted: 1/14/2011 8:11:12 PM EDT
[#14]
I built one about 9 years ago on a DPMS side charging upper which was similar to the ASA.  I've also used the JP .308 AR with the similar side charging handle.  I hated both of them the little handle is just too difficult to get a hold of when it's folded down against the receiver behind the handguard.  I do like the side charging setup on the XCR and the LWRC REPR though.
Link Posted: 1/14/2011 8:11:52 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Possibly, I don't think it would take long to redevelop muscle memory though.  One or two ouches and you'll remember to just stick your thumb up to release it.  
Or use a compatible Magpul BAD lever or Phase 5 Tactical EBR

Link Posted: 1/14/2011 8:37:09 PM EDT
[#16]
If I had the money, I'll love to build something off of an ASA side-charger.
Link Posted: 1/14/2011 8:50:00 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

That little folding handle is cool on an H&K where it's on the handguard where you can get at it, but where it is on the ASA, it will be almost flush against the back of the handguard where you will damn near have to get out a pocket knife to flip it out in order to get a finger on it.
Link Posted: 1/14/2011 8:56:14 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't think you can, IIRC the tab on the bolt catch has to be trimmed for the ASA and possibly the Grizzly too.

ETA Look at he last pic here.  It looks like they cut the tab completely off.

Here is a better pic

Link Posted: 1/15/2011 7:58:48 AM EDT
[#19]
I like the looks of these side charging handles sweet.
Link Posted: 1/15/2011 8:42:57 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't think you can, IIRC the tab on the bolt catch has to be trimmed for the ASA and possibly the Grizzly too.  

Here is a better pic

Looks like this one was made for the ASA though.

Link Posted: 1/15/2011 8:50:16 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Here is a better pic

That's a sweet looking and well built lever.

Link Posted: 1/15/2011 9:00:02 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I like the looks of these side charging handles sweet.

I like the idea of the solid mounted side charging handle for a hunting rifle.  You can chamber a round in your stand without all the slap/rack/bang of dropping the bolt on a standard AR upper.  I would really like to find a similar side charger for my Armalite AR-10.

Link Posted: 1/15/2011 9:08:35 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Here is a better pic

That's a sweet looking and well built lever.  

Like the OP I'm looking at side charging options.

I found that EBR version, but before I used a Magpul BAD lever. I replaced it with the EBRv2 , much stronger, no contact with the receiver, eliminates the failure that the BAD lever caused. And it's also lighter and easier to move with the index finger.

I believe the cut version will make a good companion for a side charger AR.  But for the OP's need to chamber rounds slowly in a hunting situation, it wouldn't fit it. That lever would help faster reloads and malfunction clearing.
Link Posted: 1/15/2011 10:43:35 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That little folding handle is cool on an H&K where it's on the handguard where you can get at it, but where it is on the ASA, it will be almost flush against the back of the handguard where you will damn near have to get out a pocket knife to flip it out in order to get a finger on it.

Actually it unfolds rather easily.

Link Posted: 1/15/2011 12:01:32 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Actually it unfolds rather easily.

It may unfold easily, but it doesn't matter if you can't get a hold of it to unfold it.  Have you tried it with gloves and/or half frozen fingers or under stress?
Link Posted: 1/15/2011 12:15:15 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

It may unfold easily, but it doesn't matter if you can't get a hold of it to unfold it.  Have you tried it with gloves and/or half frozen fingers or under stress?
Yes, it's really easy to get to is my point.

Link Posted: 1/16/2011 5:36:59 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
ASA makes a non-reciprocating left side charging upper in 5.56, 6.5, 6.8, 7.62 and .308. Much nicer than having a big knurled knob flying back and forth.

I'm not sure about any extra gas being blown out the slot on these (or any side charge) but I'd personally go with an adjustable gas piston upper in any case.

Wow.  I feel my BRD starting to flair.

I like the ASA,  charge with the support hand, eject out the right side, FAL style non-reciprocating handle...

Has anyone built with this upper?
Does it use a "normal" bolt carrier?
Link Posted: 1/16/2011 6:18:48 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I like the ASA,  charge with the support hand, eject out the right side, FAL style non-reciprocating handle...

You can have your carrier machined to work or buy their carrier for $100.

Here is a pic of the notch needed.

Link Posted: 1/16/2011 8:38:05 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Those ASA Side chargers are pricey!  I've had good luck with LAR lower receivers in the past, I am inclined to try one of their side charging uppers for my next build.

not only pricey.. but i wouldn't buy another ASA upper. i have a ASA upper and top rail was/is out of spec. it's taller and does not line up with any of my rails.  RRA uppers all are in spec that i have purchased in the past.

i contacted ASA about it.. they simply said they have never produced a out of spec upper...  (shrug)   upper does not cost enough for me to pursue any further so i dropped it.

Link Posted: 1/17/2011 3:53:34 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:

The $400 something includes the Carrier.  All you would need is a bolt.  I really like that upper.
Link Posted: 1/28/2011 6:41:44 PM EDT
[#31]
seems to me that the grizzly ops4 upper is a pretty good value compared to most others, just looking at what you can get for 300 bucks. SO, for a first-time builder still gathering parts, how much more difficult will it be to build around a grizzly ops-4 side charge receiver, if any?  I guess my first concern is finding a correct barrel to mate with it. would anyone here discourage me from the whole side-charge affair? if so why, please. just trying to get at least some of it figured out before I spend a bunch of money on parts without at least a basic plan in mind. I  just plain like the side-charging setup, but have no experience of any sort with them. either the Grizzly or Alexander Arms receivers look as though they would hold up well, maybe a little worried about the charging knob  loosening up or breaking at a poor time, but I would guess that issue has been addressed also. any comments, advice or such regarding this issue greatly appreciated!!! 47knuck (FNG with really bad case of black rifle disease)
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top