Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/15/2010 8:20:33 AM EDT
Thanks for all of your advice. I did end up with a Spikes Mid Length.
WOW...it sure is purdy. Just got it yesterday. Cleaned it up, added a few touches, and adjusted the the sights to the RIBZ. Will try and get out Wednesday to see how it shoots.

Great fit and finsh...I really like the touches including the Spikes logo on the bolt and buffer...
couple of quick pics for ya...thanks again.
Out of the box

Spikes Logo

After cleaning and adding MOE & Boonie Packer

I don't think this is my last Spikes

I have a Bushmaster Superlite and now want a second. Sorry if this is a lame question/post but here is what I want next and would like to know if I am asking the right stuff...I'm more of pistol shooter...

I want another 16" with M4 barrel contour.
I want to be able to put optics on it (Acog or PM clone).

Can I get an A3 design with front sight (fixed), remove the A3 handle, add a flip up rear and optics, and cowitness?

Thanks for steering me in the right direction. I'm looking at Bushmaster, RR, and DPMS...any guidance there is also appreciated.

Thanks...
Link Posted: 12/15/2010 8:27:02 AM EDT
[#1]

Yes, a flat top can have an optic and flip up rear sight instaled on it.

Are you looking at buying the whole rifle or assembling it yourself?

Link Posted: 12/15/2010 8:30:43 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Buying complete..lots of shops around me with choices.
Looking at the Bushmaster site I found this...ARMS

Has flip up front so I could run options or iron...any issues with flip up front vs. fixed?

Link Posted: 12/15/2010 9:41:55 AM EDT
[#3]
i hate bushmaster now.. ever since the pricing on ACR.. and in the old days when there were not many AR builders.. bushmaster was my favorite and owned atleast 2 bushmaster ARs.

Quoted:
Quoted:

Buying complete..lots of shops around me with choices.
Looking at the Bushmaster site I found this...ARMS http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k50/outdoorgb/XM15-E2S-16M4-ARM-BFI575070.jpg

Has flip up front so I could run options or iron...any issues with flip up front vs. fixed?

Link Posted: 12/15/2010 9:53:18 AM EDT
[#4]
What is your price range?
Link Posted: 12/15/2010 10:01:00 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

1200ish...not including optics or any other accessories..

Link Posted: 12/15/2010 10:12:01 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Colt 6920.

Drink the Pony Kool-Aid. I did and it is delicous.

It started as just a carbine.  Then a KAC RAS showed up.  Then BUIS.   Then a grip-pod. Then an ACOG,  
Link Posted: 12/15/2010 10:18:38 AM EDT
[#7]
A few other options:

http://www.smartgunner.com/DanielDefenseURG.aspx You can build your own there, but it will take a few weeks to get it.

http://www.spikestactical.com/new/z/st15-m4-le-carbine-p-387.html  

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/140/products_id/60385

The bushmaster is a good gun, but in my OPINION you can get a better gun for about the same coin.
Link Posted: 12/15/2010 10:25:05 AM EDT
[#8]
I like my Bushmaster as well, but for $1200 you could get into DD or LMT if you shop around.
Link Posted: 12/15/2010 10:30:30 AM EDT
[#9]
Check out the Anderson MFG AM15-AOR16 it's the only weapon in the world with RF-85 Technology.
Link Posted: 12/15/2010 10:46:55 AM EDT
[#10]
I wouldn't buy an M4 when you can get a midlength for the same price. But if you are set on the carbine gas, and have a 1200 dollar budget, then I'll second the opinion of the guy who said Colt....
Link Posted: 12/15/2010 10:52:54 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Check out the Anderson MFG AM15-AOR16 it's the only weapon in the world with RF-85 Technology.
http://media.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=24303

I would never buy a rifle with brand X parts just because of a "magic" coating they use.  Seriously, they are asking over $1200 for that thing.  For $1200 I can buy Colt, BCM and Daniel Defense.  Why would I even consider this product?
Link Posted: 12/15/2010 1:15:22 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

For that kind of coin you might as well roll your own. It's a very enjoyable pastime. That being said, I would get the $800 spikes and then buy ammo. Otherwise you just bought a fucking expensive hammer...
Link Posted: 12/15/2010 1:46:42 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

For that kind of coin you might as well roll your own. It's a very enjoyable pastime. That being said, I would get the $800 spikes and then buy ammo. Otherwise you just bought a fucking expensive hammer...

Thats what I just did. I love Colt. But I just sold my A2 Hbar for a Spikes carbine because that Colt was overweight and I have yet to hear from a member here that didn't like their Spikes. $400 will leave plenty cash for ammo or accessories OP. Spikes is GTG. BCM, LMT, and Colt are great too but your going to pay closer to $1200 for them.
Link Posted: 12/15/2010 1:54:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Do you want another lightweight?

I'd skip the M4 profile and go with a BCM (Bravo Company) light weight middy with a free float handguard and flip up front and rear sights.

That easily allows for you to run high power optics, ACOG, or aimpoint.

If you really want a M4 profile, I'd still recommend Bravo Company and get a lightweight M4 profile.

Pick you lower of choice or go with a complete Bravo setup and never look back.
Link Posted: 12/15/2010 3:02:52 PM EDT
[#15]
I put together an overpriced DPMS in that configuration for $875.00

Link Posted: 12/15/2010 3:07:56 PM EDT
[#16]
Well I'm an idiot but I'm learning...

Just found out what an M4 barrel design is for.

No, I don't need this design. I want a complete rifle that I can add optics onto...
I have a new set of MBUS so I've got a rear covered...I want a small AR with optics for close shooting situations but up to 100 yards.

More stupid questions.
Can I get an AR with fixed front sight and add on optic, and use a flip up rear?
Will the front sight be in the optics window?

Perhaps I'm better off just getting a flat top with a front block capable of adding a flip up front...

Next,
14.5" barrel is actually 16.1 with FH?
And a 16" barrel is actually 16 + FH?

God I feel dumb...but I am out there researching and I appreciate your help.
Link Posted: 12/15/2010 4:43:49 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

No, I don't need this design. I want a complete rifle that I can add optics onto...
I have a new set of MBUS so I've got a rear covered...I want a small AR with optics for close shooting situations but up to 100 yards.

More stupid questions.
Can I get an AR with fixed front sight and add on optic, and use a flip up rear?

Perhaps I'm better off just getting a flat top with a front block capable of adding a flip up front...

Next,

You can use a fixed front sight with an optic.  Depending on the optic mount it will either have a lower 1/3 co-witness or an absolute co-witness...

Again depending on the mount will determine how much of the front sight you see in the window.  For me at least the front sight doesn't bother me at all using an RDS with absolute co-witness.

14.5" barrel + pinned FH is 16.1" depending on the FH
16" barrel is 16" + length of FH

And don't feel dumb about this.  Most here were in your shoes at one time or another...

Just start building and you will figure a lot of things out in short time.

ETA:  As others have said, with a $1200 budget I would be looking at BCM, Colt, Spikes, or Daniel Defense.  Much more bang for your buck.  Actually you could pick up the Spikes LE M4 and have money left over to pick up and EoTech or Aimpoint.
Link Posted: 12/15/2010 4:54:45 PM EDT
[#18]

Start building and see what you like.  I'm willing to bet the gun you buy will change configurations over the next year.

Link Posted: 12/15/2010 4:56:56 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

More stupid questions.

Next,

You can use a fixed front sight with an optic.  Depending on the optic mount it will either have a lower 1/3 co-witness or an absolute co-witness...

Again depending on the mount will determine how much of the front sight you see in the window.  For me at least the front sight doesn't bother me at all using an RDS with absolute co-witness.

14.5" barrel + pinned FH is 16.1" depending on the FH
16" barrel is 16" + length of FH

And don't feel dumb about this.  Most here were in your shoes at one time or another...

Just start building and you will figure a lot of things out in short time.

ETA:  As others have said, with a $1200 budget I would be looking at BCM, Colt, Spikes, or Daniel Defense.  Much more bang for your buck.  Actually you could pick up the Spikes LE M4 and have money left over to pick up and EoTech or Aimpoint.

This would be my vote as well. Head and shoulders above Shrubmaster in terms of quality. Just don't take it to a gunshow and expect a premium on it from the fudds.

Personally I rolled my own, but if I had to do it again, the Spikes Middy 16" complete rifle would get the nod.
Link Posted: 12/15/2010 5:10:14 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Running an AR with an RDS and a front sight post is rather common.  I prefer fixed back-up sights on mine and use the LMT style sights for the rear.

I run an LMT on my LMT:

http://www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=265

I also have one of these and honestly it works just as well...

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=5556/Product/AR_15_DETACHABLE_REAR_SIGHT

And my DD is sporting their sight:

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=27483/Product/AR_15_M16_FIXED_BACKUP_SIGHTS

For my RDS, I am running the Aimpoint Comp M4s in a LaRue mount with lower 1/3 co-witness.  It is on my work gun and is awesome.

http://stores.homestead.com/Laruetactical/Detail.bok?no=226

Smartgunner has an awesome deal on the T-1 right now.

http://www.smartgunner.com/MicroT1.aspx
Link Posted: 12/15/2010 5:33:41 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 12/15/2010 7:22:20 PM EDT
[#22]
Thanks guys...I'm gaining knowledge...

Held and fingered a RRA LAR-15 Elite Operator 2 tonight at favorite local shop...
Came with RRA front and back flip ups (nice steel sites)...$1100 otd...
Found them online from RRA for $1000 but not the same rear site...

RRA LAR 15
Liked how it felt, really liked the front rail setup. I'll check out another store a little further away tomorow and touch a few more.
Link Posted: 12/15/2010 7:54:12 PM EDT
[#23]
RRA is a lot less gun than your paying for.  Not a bad gun, just overpriced.

Do you want a rail system?  If so you might want a flip up sight on the rail.
Link Posted: 12/15/2010 8:03:36 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Held and fingered a RRA LAR-15 Elite Operator 2 tonight at favorite local shop...

RRA LAR 15
Liked how it felt, really liked the front rail setup. I'll check out another store a little further away tomorow and touch a few more.

You can do ALOT better for the price.

$800 for a spikes plus $200 for a nice rail (thinking Troy TRX Extreme) and you will be miles ahead of the RRA for the same money. You probably would be just as well served sticking a set of MOE handguards on it instead of the rail. That leaves you $300 to look for an optic and still be under the price of the RRA.

Look here
Link Posted: 12/15/2010 8:07:02 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
RRA is a lot less gun than your paying for.  Not a bad gun, just overpriced.

Do you want a rail system?  If so you might want a flip up sight on the rail.

Sorry, not sure what the difference is between a flip on on the rail or up front like the one I posted...
Do you get a gas block up front then add a clap-on front sight?

I was searching for basic AR's then started to cost new rails and sights....figured for me, a set up like the RRA was close to equal or just a tad over...and receives good reviews. For instance; Spikes Tactical $800, +140 for rail system, +? for sights...I'm over $1000 and getting close to $1100...

Money is not a huge issue and I really don't want to build at this time...( I have elenty billion hobbies..) Just want another that I can add good optics to...and my son and I just picked up another 1000 rounds on "black saturday"...the stash if full and we want to shoot.

Link Posted: 12/15/2010 8:11:12 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:

RRA LAR 15

$800 for a spikes plus $200 for a nice rail (thinking Troy TRX Extreme) and you will be miles ahead of the RRA for the same money. You probably would be just as well served sticking a set of MOE handguards on it instead of the rail. That leaves you $300 to look for an optic and still be under the price of the RRA.

Look here

I see where your going...am I getting a better AR with Spikes than with RRA?

Link Posted: 12/15/2010 8:38:28 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

RRA LAR 15

Look here

I see where your going...am I getting a better AR with Spikes than with RRA?

Definately...Especially since the price of the Spikes will be under $800 then you just need to add a rear sight (I recommend the Daniel Defense A1.5 fixed) and whatever rails, if any, you want to add.  

Spikes also has great customer service and puts our great products.  You really can't go wrong with them.

Link Posted: 12/16/2010 6:09:09 AM EDT
[#28]
Great...

So I can get this Spikes ST-15 Mid-Length for $810
Spikes ST-15

I find hand grips that I like (I'm sure to get help here)...a rear flip up  (one that works with the front site on the Spikes)...

And I'm good to go...start shopping for optics and such...
Now I gotta go find an FFL in my area who won't bend me over...
Link Posted: 12/16/2010 6:40:51 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Great...

Spikes ST-15
http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k50/outdoorgb/SpikesST15.jpg

I find hand grips that I like (I'm sure to get help here)...a rear flip up  (one that works with the front site on the Spikes)...

Any standard rear sight will work with that front sight. You don't need a flip front sight but some prefer them. If you have a red dot sight then you can get a 1/3 lower co-witness (raises the red dot a little above the iron sights) so that the front sight is in the way and if you get a 3X+ optic then the front sight will barely be visible. If you want a rail later you can get a 9" and stay with that front sight or anything up to 14" if you put a low profile gas block on it.
Dustin
Link Posted: 12/16/2010 7:01:24 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Great...

Spikes ST-15

Any standard rear sight will work with that front sight. You don't need a flip front sight but some prefer them. If you have a red dot sight then you can get a 1/3 lower co-witness (raises the red dot a little above the iron sights) so that the front sight is in the way and if you get a 3X+ optic then the front sight will barely be visible. If you want a rail later you can get a 9" and stay with that front sight or anything up to 14" if you put a low profile gas block on it.
Dustin

Cool, that explains much for me...

Question: what is the differnce between the M4 LE and Mid Length LE....length of handguards and M4 profile?
Why all the love for M4?
And, with that Spikes Mid Length I still have a bunch of handguard options available to me when I want to buy?

Link Posted: 12/16/2010 7:59:25 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Great...

Spikes ST-15

Dustin

Cool, that explains much for me...

Question: what is the differnce between the M4 LE and Mid Length LE....length of handguards and M4 profile?
Why all the love for M4?
And, with that Spikes Mid Length I still have a bunch of handguard options available to me when I want to buy?

On the mid length the gas tube is 2" longer, the handguards are 2" longer, there is no notch in the barrel (only matters if you are going to mount an M203), and it uses a triangle handguard cap (doesn't matter).
All of the love for the M4 is because it is the same thing the US Military uses. If you are going to get a 16" barrel the mid length will be a better option.
There are probably more handguard options for carbine length rifles, but there are plenty of handguards you can use with a mid length. Single Heat Shield, Double Heat Shield, Magpul MOE, non free float rails, drop in free float rails, and tons of free float handguards and rails.
Dustin
Link Posted: 12/16/2010 8:06:07 AM EDT
[#32]
You could have any 9" rail or handguard you want and then anything longer than that with a low profile gas block would look like this (the 16" barrel ones and you could even go longer on the rail if you want):

If you want a long rail but still keep the standard front sight you could get this or this
Dustin
Link Posted: 12/16/2010 9:07:48 AM EDT
[#33]
Buy the colt 6920 you wont go wrong.
Link Posted: 12/16/2010 5:14:27 PM EDT
[#34]
spikes LE $799
Link Posted: 12/17/2010 5:34:02 AM EDT
[#35]
I'm still learning here but I did find a rifle I like...

RRA LAR-15's
I'm getting a really nice price from my FFL that is not much above the Spikes $800 set up...
I'm still confused between the CAR and Mid Length (at least now I know there is a difference...)

I want this gun for SHTF (I'll add an optic, fore grip, light... later), and for general close range fun shooting with my son...We have a BM superlight also.
Between these three, does one suit me better for my intended use?
Link Posted: 12/17/2010 6:18:34 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I'm still learning here but I did find a rifle I like...

RRA LAR-15's
I'm getting a really nice price from my FFL that is not much above the Spikes $800 set up...
I'm still confused between the CAR and Mid Length (at least now I know there is a difference...)

I want this gun for SHTF (I'll add an optic, fore grip, light... later), and for general close range fun shooting with my son...We have a BM superlight also.
Between these three, does one suit me better for my intended use?
http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k50/outdoorgb/rrhm_tact2.gif

As far as 16" carbine length vs. 16" mid length... if you might want to grip the rifle out further, maybe have a smoother better running rifle, need to mount more things to the rail, want a longer sight radius (only if you have a barrel mounted front sight), don't mind a couple of less handguard option, and/or don't mind not having exactly what the US Military uses get a mid length. Generally, carbine length gas is best for 10" to 14.5" barrels, mid length gas is best for 14.5" to 18" barrels, rifle gas is best for 18"+ barrels.
As far as those three rifles, just don't get one of them. The handguards only let you grab the rifle in one spot, you can only put accessories in the front, they have clamp on front sight bases, the front sight folds down and who knows how tough it is, the barrels are 1:9 twist and I don't think they are chrome lined, it has a two stage trigger you don't need, I think it has a commercial receiver extension, and the bolts and barrels probably aren't tested and of the correct material. It is too easy to get a quality AR and set it up exactly how you want it online and have it transfered to your FFL to settle for that.
Dustin
Link Posted: 12/17/2010 6:20:17 AM EDT
[#37]
If you want true SHTF quality those wont due,personally I don't like the way they have those RRA 's rifles set up.Every body has there own taste and those rifles are definitely not mine but your results may vary.True SHTF rifles are made to standards that ensure the will last under extreme conditions buy using the best parts and metals that have been tested to the MIL-SPEC ,bolt steel,barrel steel,are different from a hobby rifle and pressure testing of various components ensure that the will preform under extreme conditions.

Right now you have a lot of choices in SHTF rifles for the same money or less then than the RAA. Colt 6920 would be my first choice in a SHTF rifle,but the others mentioned DD, SPIKES, BCM, and LMT ,might not have all the accessories as the RAA but they are a more serious rifle for defending your life and property.

Now I'm not saying the RRA is not a decent rifle,but for the money you can do better IMHO.YMMV

Edit- OP ,it comes down to what you like and what makes you happy.Good luck on your quest in finding the perfect rifle for you !!!
Link Posted: 12/17/2010 7:05:59 AM EDT
[#38]
If this is going to be a SHTF rifle perhaps you should read this what parts break in a carbine course.  It is quite long, but there is a lot of good info.  Basically, you will learn what breaks if it is run hard.  It might make you change your mind on what you want and save you some coin in the long run.  Good luck on your choice.
Link Posted: 12/17/2010 8:29:58 AM EDT
[#39]
So, if I read correctly, with the RRA LAR 15 I would be getting a lesser quality rifle than say a Spikes.

This Spikes is on my short list
Spikes 16"

If I go this route I can then start shopping for hand guards, and other accessories.
My goal is have a quality basic AR, then add stuff...I'f I can't buy a complete  for a reasonable cost then I'm fine with buying a basic then adding the stuff I want...acutally that's pretty much what you guys do. I should learn

Also, the Spikes has an optoinal Samson rear sight (+ $10)...any experience with this?
Link Posted: 12/17/2010 9:16:40 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Buy the colt 6920 you wont go wrong.

+1

At the present time, a Colt 6920 can be had for around a grand. You can own the original article for the around same price as some are asking for a Bushy or RRA. Now if your budget were $700, that would be a different story.
Link Posted: 12/17/2010 9:33:25 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
So, if I read correctly, with the RRA LAR 15 I would be getting a lesser quality rifle than say a Spikes.

This Spikes is on my short list
Spikes 16"

If I go this route I can then start shopping for hand guards, and other accessories.
My goal is have a quality basic AR, then add stuff...I'f I can't buy a complete  for a reasonable cost then I'm fine with buying a basic then adding the stuff I want...acutally that's pretty much what you guys do. I should learn

Also, the Spikes has an optoinal Samson rear sight (+ $10)...any experience with this?

Between the lar15 and the spikes, I would take the spikes without hesitation. I have no experience with the samson sight, but since you are getting an optic more than likely you will have no use for the carry handle.  You will need some type of BUIS, so the samson is a logical choice for $10.   If you don't like it sell it on the EE.
Link Posted: 12/17/2010 9:47:06 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Where in OR are you, OP?
Link Posted: 12/17/2010 10:35:38 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Where in OR are you, OP?

In the Clackamas area...found a great local small FFL who is highly recommended by the OR hometown guys...

Link Posted: 12/17/2010 1:54:55 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

RRA LAR 15

I have last years model. Very good gun, excellent shooter. No problems with it at all.
Link Posted: 1/24/2011 2:19:11 PM EDT
[#45]
updated OP
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top