Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/14/2010 12:06:12 PM EDT
A friend wants to get his feet wet with longer range shooting. He has a Colt LE6920 AR.

Twist is 1 in 7". Assuming we use the heaviest bullet that barrel will stabilize and work up a decent load, what kind of accuracy should we reasonably expect to see?
Link Posted: 10/14/2010 12:11:52 PM EDT
[#1]
how good are you as shooters? that's the most importante question

a friend of mine was able to get less than 1/2 MOA (target was at 300m) with his colt 16'' 1/7 barrel using reloaded ammo, quality scope, FF handguards, quality trigger and a good trigger finger

Colt make good barrels
Link Posted: 10/14/2010 12:16:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

a friend of mine was able to get less than 1/2 MOA (target was at 300m) with his colt 16'' 1/7 barrel using reloaded ammo, quality scope, FF handguards, quality trigger and a good trigger finger

Colt make good barrels

Damn that's about the best shooting carbine I've ever heard of.

My 6920's shoot about 2 MOA
Link Posted: 10/14/2010 12:34:51 PM EDT
[#3]
The honest expectation of a box stock 6920 is to take it, some 1.5MOA ammunition, and be able to shoot consistent 2MOA groups from a rest, and solid sub-4MOA groupings in real world shooting.
Most folks can take a 6920 with aftermarket trigger and match ammunition and make 2MOA groups from a bench, which really is more than necessary in the accuracy department.
Link Posted: 10/14/2010 12:43:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Colt make good barrels

We had a couple of 6920's out at the range this last weekend, and the  best groups were around 1.5 moa.  This was with 75gr handloads and a Leupold 1.5-5 MRT-DDlite ff rail. The other one shot around 2-2.5moa with the same load, but it was topped with the Leupold 3-9x "AR-15" China scope.
Colt sometimes makes really accurate barrels, but it's kind of hit and miss––and they don't seem to care, as long as they shoot "mil-spec" moa, whatever that really is.  1.5" groups and 300 yrds seems ...questionable.  The 6920 is a great gun, and replacement match barrels are cheap compared to the rest of the gun, so...why not?
Link Posted: 10/14/2010 12:52:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Colt make good barrels

same for me.. about 1.5-2 MOA from both my 6601 and 6731

btw, pics of the "monster"

Link Posted: 10/14/2010 3:24:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Colt make good barrels

EDT: taken back, not worth it.

Link Posted: 10/14/2010 3:24:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Damn that's a good shooting 6920!!
Link Posted: 10/14/2010 6:24:15 PM EDT
[#8]
While I don't know him personally, most people on here seem to respect this guy's opinion.  His accuracy write up below is for a 6520 16" lightweight barrel.  I would expect a 6920 16" M4 barrel to shoot at least as good.

Molon Link

Edited to add that he free floated the barrel and used a 25x scope and match-grade handloads and he appears to be an extremely experienced shooter.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top