Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/11/2010 9:01:43 AM EDT
Leaning heavily towards this upper for a new build.  This will compliment my 16" carbine with an Eotech.  Goal is to build this one with a scope for slightly more precise shooting.

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/PhotoGallery.asp?ProductCode=BCM%2DURG%2D18+SS410+MISS%2D15

The price is right and BCM quality seems to be approaching legendary status.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 9:11:57 AM EDT
[#1]
I have one and I really like it so far.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 9:16:34 AM EDT
[#2]
I have that same barrel and its awesome.  It shoots 1/2" groups with hornady 55gr vmax and hornady 75gr match.  The profile is perfect for someone who wants it heavy enough for a precision barrel but still light enough that you can actually carry it around.  It weighs about 81/2 lbs. with optics and its my favorite AR.

Link Posted: 9/11/2010 9:44:47 AM EDT
[#3]
I was just getting ready to ask the same thing. Except I'm looking at the 16" midlength for a build.  I want a 5.56 chamber and am pretty anal about accuracy. So is there anything better than the bcm ss410 for $300 or less ?

What about the Ionbond coating ?  Is it inside the bore or just on the outside?  What are the advantages other than black color , and corosion resistance ?
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 9:48:06 AM EDT
[#4]
Just outside and yes it is a superior finish for toughness and corrosion resistance.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 10:09:41 AM EDT
[#5]
RFutch, your setup is very close to what I have in mind.  I intend to put a Magpul ACS stock on the rifle, but other than that, same deal.

Do you use the bipod frequently, or is it pretty easy to fire from the shoulder?
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 10:20:50 AM EDT
[#6]
Its not much heavier than my M4gery so yes its very versitle.  One of my buddies every time he sees it says "I can't believe how light this thing is for what it is."  Most of the shooting I do with it is prone with the bipod but thats mainly what I built it for.  Just a couple weeks ago I was staying at a friends cabin in S. GA and we found some buzzards feasting on an animal carcass.  I was carrying this rifle and not wanting to waste good targets of opportunity I got 3 of them with it before they were able to fly away.  To me its the perfect balance of precision and versitility.

ETA:  I almost went with a collapsable stock but everytime I shoot it prone I love the A2 more and more.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 6:28:09 PM EDT
[#7]
not to hijack, but is this barrel contoured for the ops inc. collar? thanks
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 8:04:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
not to hijack, but is this barrel contoured for the ops inc. collar? thanks

Not sure if this is what its for or not, but there is a "step" in the contour approx. 1 7/8" from the front of my gas block.  Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 8:42:04 PM EDT
[#9]
The BCM is a good bang for the buck.  At the $300 price point, I believe the only competition is going to be from White Oak.  In a head to head with the White Oak, I think the edge goes to the SS410, simply by virtue of the 410 stainless.  Harder and more corrosion resistant, as we are being told.  There are still the Ranier, Superior, Noveske, etc., barrels, but I really don't know if they would be any better.  I built my rig around the 16" version because I was looking for a portable precision rig.  I think that any good barrel will shoot sub MOA three or five round groups with the right ammunition.  What really surprised me was the ten and twenty round groups that I'm getting.  I've shot one 20 round group that measured just under 1" at 100 yards.  Most run in the 1.2" range for ten to twenty rounds.  The SS410 barrel is definitely one of those barrels will be limited by the driver more than anything else.  I feed mine 77gr loads and it likes them for everything from 100 yards on out.

Link Posted: 9/14/2010 12:44:19 AM EDT
[#10]
I just picked up the 20 BCM with the ionbond finsih.  The BCM SS barrels are sweet.  I think I looked at everybody who makes a 18-20 inch SS barrel and ended up with the BCM it was everything I wanted.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 4:28:52 AM EDT
[#11]
For $299 I believe it's a great value.

It weighs in at about 40 ounces, which is 11 ounces heavier than a hammer forged 16" chrome-lined barrel.  However, it still balances and points well.  You don't want too low of mass for a precision rifle anyway, right?

I saw some pics from a Magpul SPR class and Travis Haley was rockin' one.  

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top