BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 3/3/2010 8:32:15 AM EDT
UPDATE: Tom is offering the complete M4LE rifle for only $720 for a limited time (10% off). Coupon code is GRANT

UPDATE: My own range report is now at the bottom of the this post. I will add more details as I get the time.

Since so many people around here are fairly new and keep asking what the best/cheapest deal out there is, I thought I would post this to help them out. For a little more than $700, you can buy an extremely high quality rifle, including BUIS, that easily outclasses anything near it's price range. You can even choose between carbine and midlength depending on your preference. Look at the specs below and you will see this is definitely the best deal out there right now by a wide margin. . Specs include:

M4 feed ramps
Chrome lined barrel
MP and HP on every barrel
F marked front site (Phosphate finished under)
1/7 twist
4150 barrel
5.56 chamber
Auto BCG properly staked w/ MP tested bolt  (HP as well in the very near future)
ST-T2 buffer
Milspec tube for more stock options

Reviews by 87GN:

M4 Upper:
http://vuurwapenblog.com/2010/03/13/spikes-tactical-m4-le-upper/

Midlength Upper:
http://vuurwapenblog.com/2010/05/05/spikes-tactical-midlength-le-upper-receiver-assembly/

BCM compared to Spikes:
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=497713

Review by Stickman:

http://www.weaponevolution.com/forum/showthread.php?p=18827#post18827

Review by CONKLE73:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=485748

For those of you interested in buying, here are the links:

Complete Spikes Upper $475 (They are now offering the midlength for the same price as well)

**Coupon Codes: M4 (M4LEUP)  and  Midlength  (MIDLEUP)

Complete Lower $180 (now $200)

http://www.dsarms.com/Model-ZM4-Complete-Lower-Receiver-With-Mil-Spec-Stock-Assembly––-DSZM4R2/productinfo/DSZM4R2/

Rear BUIS $55 (I personally like Troy or KAC sights more but these work well and are cheaper)

http://www.aimsurplus.com/catalog.aspx?groupid=48

** You can also keep the entire Spikes M4LE for only $759 or Spikes Midlength for $769 (type arfcom at checkout for 5% discount). In addition, they allow you to switch out the carry handle for a BUIS if you prefer. You will need to contact them to see how that works though

M4LE (carbine)
http://www.spikestactical.com/z/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=113&products_id=387

Midlength

http://www.spikestactical.com/z/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=113&products_id=443

AIM is also currently offering the M4LE upper and the Midlength upper for $479 w/ free shipping!
M4LE
Midlength

RANGE REPORT
After suggesting Spikes to so many people  I figured I needed to try one out myself so I bought a M4LE upper. I thought about getting the midlength but decide to go with what most people end up buying. I brought along 6 types of ammo: Centurion 55grn, PMC Bronze 55grn, Wolf 55grn, XM193, Hornady TAP 75grn, and Fiocchi 77grn Sierra MatchKing. During the course of the day I shot approximately 430 rounds without a single problem (yes I know that's not many rounds but it's a start). So far I have to say that I'm very fond of this upper and can give my approval with even greater confidence that this is the best deal out there right now for people looking to get into a quality AR for less money. While it may look like the upper likes heavier grain bullets, I believe it has lot more to do with the quality of ammo than the weight. My other 1/7s and the 1/9s I've had in the past had very similar accuracy to this with cheap ammo like PMC, XM193, etc. All my other 1/7s have had great accuracy with lighter bullets and match grade ammo. There's also a thread around here somewhere where someone was getting great accuracy with a 1/7 barrel and 45 grn match ammo. I'll do some testing with lighter grains next time I get a chance to go out but I have full confidence that the groups will tighten up considerably. Generally people expect way too much out of cheap ammo. Now to the pics .

Thankfully the day was about as perfect as you can get at my favorite shooting range here in CO

Here's the upper sitting on one my of lowers. I originally wanted to use my Leupold Mark IV tactical for this test but unfortunately my .50bmg broke it and it still needs to be fixed. Instead I used my friend's Burris Timberline (fixed 4 power) but it got the job done

The following are all samples of the targets I used. I tried to take 1 or 2 of the average size group of each type of ammo to post so as not to overload this with too many pictures. The only exception is the last target which was the best group and I felt lucky getting it with my average/slightly above shooting skills and a 4x scope. I have yet to measure the groups yet but I thought I saw a program somewhere around here that did it for you. If anyone has it feel free to use it. Otherwise I'll try to get the group sizes up soon. All target were at 100 yards and I chose to do mostly 5 shot groups (sorry Molon).

The first group is with Wolf ammo. Very inconstant but worked perfectly fine. I put a quarter in the center for size comparison.

Next is Centurion 55grn (loose pack from AIM). It performed well and gave about the same size groups as my Colt and BCM tend to get.

After that I used PMC bronze which seemed to have a very similar performance, perhaps slightly better than the Centurion.

Next up was XM193. From here on the groups began to tighten up a bit.

Now is where the Spikes upper started to really love the ammo. This is from Fiocchi 77grn MatchKings. In the second photo I adjusted the scope up a little too far.

Lastly I used Hornady TAP 75grn. Much like above, the Spikes upper absolutely loved it. The second pic was the best group of the day. It was shot before I adjusted the scope in case anyone is wondering why it's lower on the target.

Overall I am extremely impressed. It grouped about the same as most of my rifles and ran without issue. If anyone wants a good quality AR at an affordable price, there's no need to look further. At $760 for a complete rifle or $475 for a complete upper it's an absolute steal in my opinion.

Link Posted: 3/3/2010 8:42:10 AM EDT
[#1]
Dammit. I may be about to give into my BRD.
Link Posted: 3/3/2010 9:04:19 AM EDT
[#2]
Aim has a complete DEL-TON DTI-4 A3, with everything including the BCG for $669.  I think the only other thing you would have to buy is a rear BUIS.  

http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=F1ATDELTONA3&groupid=11
Link Posted: 3/3/2010 9:14:35 AM EDT
[#3]
I have one of those uppers on the way. I will probably buy more. Awesome deal.

And nothing from Del-Ton comes close from a quality standpoint.
Link Posted: 3/3/2010 9:16:59 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Aim has a complete DEL-TON DTI-4 A3, with everything including the BCG for $669.  I think the only other thing you would have to buy is a rear BUIS.  

The Spikes rifle includes a higher quality BCG and has much better specs though. Del-ton is decent but not in the same class, especially at the same price.
Link Posted: 3/3/2010 9:18:19 AM EDT
[#5]
This is perfect, I will save this thread and then post it when the question is asked.
Good Work!
Link Posted: 3/3/2010 12:45:56 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm all about Spike's but THIS is an awesome deal on a complete build it yourself lower.
Link Posted: 3/3/2010 12:48:29 PM EDT
[#7]
just for my information, what about del ton is so much less quality thank spikes? not trying to start a war between the two, just curious.
Link Posted: 3/3/2010 12:52:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I'm all about Spike's but THIS is an awesome deal on a complete build it yourself lower.

I wish but that's only a stripped lower for $126 that doesn't include anything else (great lower though). Once you start adding all the pieces it's priced the same as any other lower out there and is no longer as cheap as some people are looking for. The one posted above is complete (LPK, milspec tube, stock) for only $180.
Link Posted: 3/3/2010 12:59:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I wish but that's only a stripped lower for $126 that doesn't include anything else (great lower though). Once you start adding all the pieces it's priced the same as any other lower out there and is no longer as cheap as some people are looking for. The one posted above is complete (LPK, milspec tube, stock) for only $180.

I agree. Just adding the Colt LPK adds $200. Whatever
Link Posted: 3/3/2010 1:00:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
just for my information, what about del ton is so much less quality thank spikes? not trying to start a war between the two, just curious.

4140 vs 4150
Chrome Moly vs Chrome lined
1/9 vs 1/7 twist
Semi vs Auto BCG and mpi bolt
standard buffer vs heavy buffer
single heat shields vs double

*I also don't think the delton has m4 feedramps, parked under the FSB, black extractor insert, milspec o-ring, mp test every barrel, or a the proper F marked front site like Spikes does. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong on any of these but I think that it is a pretty accurate representation of the differences between the two.

Since they are nearly the same price and we are not talking about having to pay extra for these features, I would personally much rather have those extra quality components/steps found in the Spikes option. Not to mention that Spikes has some of the best customer service in the business.
Link Posted: 3/3/2010 1:31:12 PM EDT
[#11]
it's killing me to see the Spikes upper prices and not possibly exporting one !
Link Posted: 3/3/2010 1:47:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Why can't they export uppers to Switzerland?

Link Posted: 3/3/2010 4:33:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Wow...cheaper than a Mini 14.  I've put this into .22s.....
Link Posted: 3/3/2010 4:48:17 PM EDT
[#14]
$400 shipping.
Link Posted: 3/3/2010 5:27:29 PM EDT
[#15]
I want one in 14.5 with pinned brake.
Link Posted: 3/3/2010 5:55:19 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

4140 vs 4150
Chrome Moly vs Chrome lined
1/9 vs 1/7 twist
Semi vs Auto BCG and mpi bolt
standard buffer vs heavy buffer
single heat shields vs double

*I also don't think the delton has m4 feedramps, parked under the FSB, black extractor insert, milspec o-ring, mp test every barrel, or a the proper F marked front site like Spikes does. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong on any of these but I think that it is a pretty accurate representation of the differences between the two.

Since they are nearly the same price and we are not talking about having to pay extra for these features, I would personally much rather have those extra quality components/steps found in the Spikes option. Not to mention that Spikes has some of the best customer service in the business.

Damn, now thats a deal and a half, gonna have to get one now.....
Link Posted: 3/3/2010 7:24:08 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 3/3/2010 7:26:14 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Del-Ton

Did you even bother reading the OP of this thread?
Link Posted: 3/3/2010 8:01:48 PM EDT
[#19]
yeah i see the point now, del ton has those features, if you select them and are willing to pay for them.  thanks for the info
Link Posted: 3/3/2010 8:21:40 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I want one in 14.5 with pinned brake.

+1
thats when i will buy one
Link Posted: 3/3/2010 9:52:18 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 3/4/2010 1:30:59 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Del-Ton

Thats a good deal as well, but at $587 it still doesn't come with a full auto carrier w MPI tested bolt and you still need a lower.  I'd rather have the OP's choice.
Link Posted: 3/4/2010 5:28:59 PM EDT
[#23]
Jeep, the Spikes upper sale looks too good to pass up.  Any idea what brake Spikes uses for us  ban state guys?  If I wanted to find out if they can pin/weld a FSC556, what's the best way to reach out to them?

Great post BTW.
Link Posted: 3/4/2010 6:49:16 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 3/4/2010 7:09:40 PM EDT
[#25]
Chrome lined barrel for $475..... from spikes..... do want.

ETA: Upon further review of the Spikes website, why wouldn't I just buy the M4 LE for only a hundred bucks more (literally 799.99) and have the entire gun be Spikes all the way?

I guess at this price point $100 could make or break someones budget, but I think I'd save up the extra hundo and buy a complete rifle.
Link Posted: 3/5/2010 3:55:43 AM EDT
[#26]
Here is a great deal from Spike's. Included with the M4 is a Carry handle, 30 round PMAG, and an ST-T2 buffer all from a top notch company. I know it's not $700.00 but look what you get for $100.00 more.

Link Posted: 3/5/2010 8:07:37 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Chrome lined barrel for $475..... from spikes..... do want.

ETA: Upon further review of the Spikes website, why wouldn't I just buy the M4 LE for only a hundred bucks more (literally 799.99) and have the entire gun be Spikes all the way?

I guess at this price point $100 could make or break someones budget, but I think I'd save up the extra hundo and buy a complete rifle.

I agree and it's what I would probably do myself. Getting the complete Spikes rifle for an extra $100 is a very good deal and a great option for those willing to spend a little more. Those who don't will still be very happy with the cheaper lower though. $700 is in the DPMS, Delton, CMMG bargain bin, and Olympic price range, yet you'd be getting a rifle that's the quality of the top manufacturers which tend to be $1000+. Someone would have to be an idiot, or completely ignorant to buy one of those other rifles as long as this deal is going on.
Link Posted: 3/5/2010 8:45:05 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Jeep, the Spikes upper sale looks too good to pass up.  Any idea what brake Spikes uses for us  ban state guys?  If I wanted to find out if they can pin/weld a FSC556, what's the best way to reach out to them?

Great post BTW.

We use the Spike's Break.

might want to spell it correctly then It's brake, as in 'putting the brakes on'.
Link Posted: 3/5/2010 9:45:42 AM EDT
[#29]
I want to buy that complete Spikes AR15.

Problem is I live MA where I would need a fixed stock, and no 30 round mag.

Would they still sell this gun to me or not if I order online?
Link Posted: 3/5/2010 10:52:05 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 3/5/2010 10:54:59 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 3/5/2010 12:40:40 PM EDT
[#32]
Thanks Bad, do you have a # I can reach you at to discuss further?

Will the FFL "Care" that I am buying a rifle with the 30rd mag and collaps. stock?
Link Posted: 3/5/2010 12:54:37 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Will the FFL "Care" that I am buying a rifle with the 30rd mag and collaps. stock?

I'm sure you could try the number in his signature box

Link Posted: 3/5/2010 1:00:50 PM EDT
[#34]

thx

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm sure you could try the number in his signature box

Link Posted: 3/5/2010 1:21:24 PM EDT
[#35]
badazzar, how long will you guys be offering the discount? Thanks for this thread jeep297!
Link Posted: 3/5/2010 1:29:49 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why can't they export uppers to Switzerland?

In Europe the barrel is considered the firearm unlike the lower receiver is here in the states.
Link Posted: 3/5/2010 2:32:25 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I have one of those uppers on the way. I will probably buy more. Awesome deal.

And nothing from Del-Ton comes close from a quality standpoint.

That is interesting as the Del-Ton rifle's I owned compared very favorably to my one Spike's. I have yet to find a value better than their rifle kits.

Del-Ton also didn't jack up their prices after the election to realize a huge profit. The continued to sell things as they always had. The only way Spike's will get money from me again is if they ever get around to making a 5.45 upper, at a good price, and it performs better than the SW version.
Link Posted: 3/5/2010 2:38:07 PM EDT
[#38]
Thanks for starting this thread Jeep. I just ordered the upper as well as a Spike's complete lower.
Awesome price on these uppers considering the specs.

And there goes my tax return.

EDIT: here's a nice review of the M4 LE Upper (with pics) done by an m4carbine.net member: Review
Link Posted: 3/5/2010 3:04:46 PM EDT
[#39]
Damn....just when I thought I could be a 1 AR man LOL. I didn't figure that would last long. That is a crazy crazy good deal...now I plan on buying a spikes lower.

I almost bought a second BCM upper, I'm really glad I didn't. For 50$ more than a BCM w/o the BCG I got a complete upper with the BCG and a heavy buffer.
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 2:54:59 PM EDT
[#40]
fyi That dsarms zm-4 lower is now $200, not $180. Not a whole lot. But It closes the price gap between the complete rifle from Spikes and the spikes upper/dsarms lower combo+BUIS+mag.

For me, it ends up being about $800 shipped/transferred either way. What to do, what to do.

Link Posted: 3/8/2010 8:19:52 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
fyi That dsarms zm-4 lower is now $200, not $180. Not a whole lot. But It closes the price gap between the complete rifle from Spikes and the spikes upper/dsarms lower combo+BUIS+mag.

For me, it ends up being about $800 shipped/transferred either way. What to do, what to do.

Thanks. I just updated the post to reflect the price change. I also realized that the complete Spikes rifle is only $759 when you factor in the 5% arfcom discount Hell of a deal.
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 8:32:23 AM EDT
[#42]
Damn it.  I went the other route not long ago and bought the DSA upper & lower and spikes bcg..... wish I would've waited.
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 9:27:54 AM EDT
[#43]
It is my understanding that the dsarms lower is backordered right now, that is why you have to call to order. Is that correct?
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 9:28:25 AM EDT
[#44]
It is my understanding that the dsarms lower is backordered right now, that is why you have to call to order. Is that correct?
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 9:38:28 AM EDT
[#45]
Dammit that is to good to pass up. But i do not need another AR15.
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 10:19:42 AM EDT
[#46]
Fuuuck I did it anyway
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 12:13:52 PM EDT
[#47]
I just ordered the complete rifle. Garret switched out the carry handle with a Samson rear for $10 more. Got their black rifle case for $50 more. Ended up being about $840 shipped for Spikes M4, with Samson rear BUIS, PMAG and their high quality soft case. Lifetime warranty on the rifle. That is a hell of a deal if you ask me. This is my first AR too!
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 12:46:28 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I just ordered the complete rifle. Garret switched out the carry handle with a Samson rear for $10 more. Got their black rifle case for $50 more. Ended up being about $840 shipped for Spikes M4, with Samson rear BUIS, PMAG and their high quality soft case. Lifetime warranty on the rifle. That is a hell of a deal if you ask me. This is my first AR too!

Definitely a sweet deal on an awesome rifle and welcome to the AR world! Congrats and make sure to post pics when you get it
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 1:21:34 PM EDT
[#49]
Just finished my order!! Got the dsarms lower and spikes upper. This will be my first AR so I'm still in the learning stage. Looking forward to researching ammo, sights, optics, etc. Glad I came across this thread. Dsarms said the lower will ship in about 3 weeks.
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 1:39:26 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Just finished my order!! Got the dsarms lower and spikes upper. This will be my first AR so I'm still in the learning stage. Looking forward to researching ammo, sights, optics, etc. Glad I came across this thread. Dsarms said the lower will ship in about 3 weeks.

Glad it helped it and like AK_Steve above, welcome to the AR sickness with the rest of us
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top