BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/8/2010 6:58:53 PM EDT
Well I am a first time AR-15 builder/owner so I decided to do a budget build for the first one. My plan is to have a friend who is a gunsmith help with the assembly (He has been extremely helpful with information). Well from speaking with another friend he suggested that I use BlackThorne for my complete kit (minus stripped lower) for a budget build. Most of my research kicked back mixed reviews/opinions, but most owners have been fairly happy.

I have not read about too many people who have had to deal with the customer service post order.

I have read the FAQs on the BackThorne website and it stated that a customer is responsible shipping the product back, but most of the policy seems to revolve around returns/refunds. I could see a customer having to pay for return shipping for a return/refund/exchange, but a return for out of the box damage does not make much sense.

Today I received my kit, and the first thing that I pulled out of the box was a broken/chipped stock, the second thing was the gas block on my upper had been dented. Out side of those 2 issues everything seems to be in good shape. I received the order very quickly after it was placed. I have contacted the company, and am currently awaiting the response.

I will keep everyone up to date as I hear back from the company.

Link Posted: 2/8/2010 7:02:20 PM EDT
[#1]
FIRST HA

MY FIRST FIRST

No seriously you will get mostly negative response for anything Blackthorne. There are plenty of budget kits out there that wont take your money and give you nothing but junk.
Link Posted: 2/8/2010 7:02:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/8/2010 7:04:04 PM EDT
[#3]
I've been hanging around this board for a month and the only trend more prevalent than BCM love is blackthorne hatred. I've yet to see one person here say a single decent thing about that company.
Link Posted: 2/8/2010 7:14:31 PM EDT
[#4]
any friend who suggests blackthorne is not a friend

Link Posted: 2/8/2010 7:18:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Well I am a first time AR-15 builder/owner so I decided to do a budget build for the first one. My plan is to have a friend who is a gunsmith help with the assembly (He has been extremely helpful with information). Well from speaking with another friend he suggested that I use BlackThorne for my complete kit (minus stripped lower) for a budget build. Most of my research kicked back mixed reviews/opinions, but most owners have been fairly happy.

My god, where did you research?
Link Posted: 2/8/2010 7:29:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Hesse/Vulcan,  Blackthorne....junk!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! are you serious??? This has to be a joke or troll post!
Link Posted: 2/8/2010 7:30:33 PM EDT
[#7]
no no no no no no no

Look at this before you literally throw your money away with a Blackthorne/Hesse/VulcanWhatever

http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=F1ATDELTONA3&groupid=11
Link Posted: 2/8/2010 7:33:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Blackthorne lower receiver
Link Posted: 2/8/2010 7:34:52 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm with everyone else.... send that crap back.  There's plenty of budget minded gear you can get that isn't junk.
Link Posted: 2/8/2010 7:37:22 PM EDT
[#10]
My lower is Sharps (Yes I know everyone hates the stamp, but I am from the stl)

I ordered the Rifle kit, varmint, 20" bull stainless barrel.

For some reason I did not find the connection to Vulcan till after I ordered.

Link Posted: 2/8/2010 7:37:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Tell them you are totally displeased over the kit, take the hit on shipping, beg them, prostrate yourself before them in whatever manner necessary to return it and get your money back.
Link Posted: 2/8/2010 7:48:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Tell them you are totally displeased over the kit, take the hit on shipping, beg them, prostrate yourself before them in whatever manner necessary to return it and get your money back.

Seriously, find who it is that you have to blow at that company to get your money back...and start blowing.
Link Posted: 2/8/2010 7:57:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Friends don't let friends drive Blackthorn.
Link Posted: 2/8/2010 7:59:49 PM EDT
[#14]
Who do you work for?
Link Posted: 2/8/2010 8:11:06 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

This.

You could not have chosen a worse piece of junk. Consider this a lesson learned and for heavens sake dump that pile of shit for something that's actually a gun........
Link Posted: 2/8/2010 8:18:09 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
My lower is Sharps (Yes I know everyone hates the stamp, but I am from the stl)

I ordered the Rifle kit, varmint, 20" bull stainless barrel.

That is because they have to change their name every few months to stay in business.  Most of their stuff is just junk.  Some of it is dangerous.
Link Posted: 2/8/2010 8:20:55 PM EDT
[#17]

ETA: more
Link Posted: 2/8/2010 8:22:23 PM EDT
[#18]
So far you haven't bought your first AR. Instead you got a box of junk passing itself off as an AR. Send that shit back and buy a Del Ton kit or CMMG which are good platforms so we can take you seriously.
Link Posted: 2/8/2010 8:28:43 PM EDT
[#19]
Seriously, I wouldn't consider anyone who recommends a Blackthorne kit as "knowledgeable about ARs".

Do everything you can to return that kit and buy something that doesn't suck. Never take advice from that gunsmith again.
Link Posted: 2/8/2010 8:58:14 PM EDT
[#20]
Legal Transfers has STAG kits ..everything but the lower and it has a chromelined barrel for $658+lower $760 for a good and way better than blackthorne product.
Link Posted: 2/8/2010 9:01:09 PM EDT
[#21]
Enjoy your explodeable club.

Also, since its post 420, check out that dudes eyes! holy baked, batman!
Link Posted: 2/8/2010 9:50:35 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Enjoy your explodeable club.

Also, since its post 420, check out that dudes eyes! holy baked, batman!

what pond is he playing Navy Seal in that has that much frigging chlorine?
Link Posted: 2/8/2010 9:54:15 PM EDT
[#23]
You're a long time user and this is just your troll account, right?  

You can't swing a dead cat on the internet without finding a dozen stories about how fucked up Blackthorne/Vulcan/Hesse are.

If you bought it –– for real –– you deserve the learning experience you're about to get.

Link Posted: 2/8/2010 10:02:14 PM EDT
[#24]
User or Loser?
Link Posted: 2/9/2010 2:07:11 AM EDT
[#25]
Nothing lower than Blackthorne/Vulcan/Hesse.

Send it back now, don't hesitate.
Link Posted: 2/9/2010 4:18:57 AM EDT
[#26]
"Technology's tip of the spear" Talk about disjointed sentence structure, that almost as good as,
"A change we can believe in."
Link Posted: 2/9/2010 4:47:05 AM EDT
[#27]
It seems like we get these once a month.  Could it be a blackthorne employee checking if their still hated?? Makes me wonder.

But if it is a real post I would strongly agree to go with Del Ton or CMMG bargain bin rifles for a less expensive build

Delton & CMMG = less expensive
Blackthorne = cheap
(and yes there is a difference)

Link Posted: 2/9/2010 7:22:44 AM EDT
[#28]
After a few responses, I did take a look at Del-Ton.

The price is not to much more than I spent, but the setup is different. I was excited when I saw that they did offer a discount to members of AR15.com, however it does not include kits.

No word back from BT at this time.
Link Posted: 2/9/2010 7:49:05 AM EDT
[#29]

Link Posted: 2/9/2010 7:52:16 AM EDT
[#30]

exactly! Wait till everyone gets off work then look out!
Link Posted: 2/9/2010 7:55:51 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
My lower is Sharps

Please elaborate. This is the first I've heard of this.

PursuitSS
Link Posted: 2/9/2010 9:14:06 AM EDT
[#32]
Blackthorne kits are so cheap someone should buy one and run it till it explodes

post pics of course
Link Posted: 2/9/2010 9:36:02 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:
My lower is Sharps

Please elaborate. This is the first I've heard of this.

PursuitSS

I was responding to several post in one. The Sharps lower has nothing to do with BT, however one of the pics posted were of a broken lower. I was just stating that I do not have a BT lower, that my lower is from a different company.
Link Posted: 2/9/2010 11:52:56 AM EDT
[#34]
I bought a Yugo AK pistol grip and a Yugo AK sling from Velocity/Blackthorne. That's about the only stuff I would buy from them, namely because they're made by the Yugos, not Velocity.
Link Posted: 2/9/2010 12:25:18 PM EDT
[#35]
Hesse/Vulcan/Joeken/Blackthorne/Sh1t are all the same.
Link Posted: 2/9/2010 1:13:34 PM EDT
[#36]
Blackthorne doesn't have CS...it even says so on their web site.
Link Posted: 2/9/2010 1:36:45 PM EDT
[#37]
i would have the knowledgeable friend pay for the return shipping, and then never listen to any more firearms advise from him. i assembled a BT kit for a friend that was on a super tight budget, man that 20"A2 kit was a total POS, it lived up to what the hype is. J&T was only like 45 bucks more IIRC, he could have a real rifle with quality parts
Link Posted: 2/10/2010 5:44:38 PM EDT
[#38]
Its interesting to read these comments.........makes me wonder how many folks actually give advice based on actual experience or just someone elses posts..........llc
Link Posted: 2/11/2010 3:31:33 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Its interesting to read these comments.........makes me wonder how many folks actually give advice based on actual experience or just someone elses posts..........llc

Sir,you are absolutely correct.
Please field test some Vulcan/Blackthorne ARs and give us a factual report so we can eliminate all this BS.
You just can't trust the internet.
But I think you better wear eye protection.
Link Posted: 2/11/2010 3:46:12 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Who do you work for?

Dont think that is the case. If he worked for them he would be singing their praises, not complaining about a chipped stock and dinged gas block.

Link Posted: 2/11/2010 4:13:02 PM EDT
[#41]
Send it back.

Get a Delton. Very cheap. Not military grade, but at least they work and don't have a tendency to break.

Their kits go for $500 or so... then get a Spikes, Stag, RRA, ect. stripped lower.

Other cheap options are DPMS and Double Star.
Link Posted: 2/11/2010 4:24:59 PM EDT
[#42]
Congrats you got a pile of crap.  
Link Posted: 2/11/2010 4:44:00 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Send it back.

Get a Delton. Very cheap. Not military grade, but at least they work and don't have a tendency to break.

Their kits go for $500 or so... then get a Spikes, Stag, RRA, ect. stripped lower.

Other cheap options are DPMS and Double Star.

not Cheap, just inexpensive.  Just broke 1200 rds through mine and she's still running perfectly.  Range report will be up tomorrow probably.  Best group at 50 meters looks like .2253" but is holding overall at ~1.25" at 100 meters

Damn good rifle for the money

Quoted:
After a few responses, I did take a look at Del-Ton.

The price is not to much more than I spent, but the setup is different. I was excited when I saw that they did offer a discount to members of AR15.com, however it does not include kits.

No word back from BT at this time.

Good luck on hearing from BT.  I'd seriously consider either looking at a Del-Ton kit or a BCM one.  Both are great for the money.
Link Posted: 2/12/2010 6:01:08 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

You can buy a few kits with your hard earned money and test away. Or is it you want someone else to spend the money to see how crappy it is.

After having some personal experience with the company when it was know as Hess arms I can say they produce shit. I wouldn't buy anything from them ever again. Even if people are repeating what they read it doesn't matter since hess/vulcan and (insert new name here) blows goats. If it saves one person their hard earned money then good. Some people are so cheap they will continue to buy blackturd products no matter what but some people don't know any better and hopefully they can be educated not to do business with the company.
Link Posted: 2/12/2010 6:08:26 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Teh interwebs tell me that antifreeze would kill me if I drink it.  I don't have any actual experience though.......I'm just basing my opinion on other dead guy's posts....
Link Posted: 2/12/2010 6:22:18 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sir,you are absolutely correct.
Please field test some Vulcan/Blackthorne ARs and give us a factual report so we can eliminate all this BS.
You just can't trust the internet.
But I think you better wear eye protection.

Someone on here actually found and drove by the Hesse/Blacktorne/Vulcan/Victory address and it was a residence with some guy out in his front yard in shorts with his garage door open and some Hesse/Vulcan/Blackthorne/Victory boxes stacked inside. But I'll be sure to send an order in for a couple of rifles, instead of using that money for a BCM Mid build, take them out and run a few thousand rounds of expensive ammo through them and see how they do. I'll get back with the results before making any claims. I'm confident the guy in the shorts will make good or cheerfully refund my money if I have any problems. Not  

Link Posted: 2/12/2010 6:40:13 AM EDT
[#47]
I owned a hesse rifle-It had excessive headspace, and no extraction/ejection-It was absolute crap...and now i'm telling you -HESS/BLACKTHORNE/VULCAN IS ABSOLUTE CRAP!!

no I won't call you, i wont come over to chat over coffee, you have to read it on the internet...
Link Posted: 2/12/2010 6:47:34 AM EDT
[#48]
his "friend" probably wants to see if the rumors are true and thats why he suggested them

cmon guys, the stock was broken and the FSB damaged, but thats just wear from the battlefield, better than throwing it down the drive.

Link Posted: 2/12/2010 12:59:17 PM EDT
[#49]

Link Posted: 2/17/2010 7:25:28 AM EDT
[#50]
Update:

I checked the UPS tracking and BT received the damaged package yesterday, they also issued a new shipment yesterday. I should have it tomorrow. I can tell you that UPS did list the location of drop off and being residential. The address listed on the BT website is a PO Box.

The friend that suggested BT bought a 7.62 upper before I ordered, and so far has been happy with it (he only has a few hundred rounds through it).
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top