BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 5
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/7/2009 5:58:37 PM EDT
[#1]
I've read that it does happen to DI ar's but it just takes longer to happen.

Quoted:
I keep reading all these posts about carrier tilt and was wondering why only piston guns have carrier tilt problems? I though the only difference between the two was the gas system and the carrier key.

Link Posted: 9/7/2009 9:40:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/8/2009 1:09:48 AM EDT
[#3]
I see this a lot and I will answer.

I had an SLR106 and it was a cool rifle but it was inaccurate and difficult to outfit with optics or other accesories that are easy to put on an AR, eveh if I had a rail system on the AK it still ballanced badly and thats not even taking into effect the proprietary 5.56 Ak mags that are pricey and hard to get sometimes. The AK is just a poor choice for anything other than an iron sight 100 yard beater gun.

I hate the FAL and would take an M14 over it any day because of the fact that it has too many parts, is also inaccurate and like the AK has poor sights( there better than the AK but they still suck) on para rifles the sights are ok but on all others they wobble too much. I also noticed on prettymuch all fals I have fired or handles the triggers suck. I also hate the larg price tag these days if I wanted to pay $1,900 for a FAL I could just buy 2 ARs or an RFB and have money left over for accessories.

I have had a LWRC that did not exibit carrier tilt after 2K rounds and I liked it, I don't personally like the Ruger because of the barrel twist and the flash hider but I am holding out hope that the new CMMG uppers will be good to go.

I just get annoyed when people ask a question that has an already obviouse answer people want piston ARs because its the rifle thats already reliable and accurate with good ergos and several decades of refinement behind it as well as endless aftermarket support, if you add to that a cleaner more reliable operating system like a piston it becomes a rifle with no weak points. If pistons were a solution looking for a problem then Delta wouldnt use HK416s and theres several other SF units using HK416s and LWRC uppers.

I'm a lazy guy these days and hate to have to clean my weapon and lube it all of the time, it would be nice if one of these days I could get my AR to require the attention my glock does to run.

Quoted:
Idk if you want a piston rifle buy an AK or FAL.

Link Posted: 9/8/2009 1:51:40 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I had an SLR106 and it was a cool rifle but it was inaccurate and difficult to outfid with optics or other accesories that are easy to put on an AR, eveh if I had a rail system on the AK it still ballanced badly and thats nat even taking into effect the proprietary 5.56 Ak mags that are pricey and hard to get sometimes. The AK is just a poor choice for anything other than an iron sight 100 yard beater gun.

I hate the FAL and would take an M14 over it any day because of the fact that it has too many parts, is also inaccurate and like the AK has poor sights( there better than the AK but they still suck) on para rifles the sights are ok but on all others they wobble too much. I also noticed on prettymuch all fals I have fired or handles the triggers suck. I also hate the larg price tag these days if I wanted to pay $1,900 for a FAL I could just buy 2 ARs or an RFB and have money left over for accessories.

I have had a LWRC that did not exibit carrier tilt after 2K rounds and I liked it, I don't personally like the Ruger because of the barrel twist and the flash hider but I am holding out hope that the new CMMG uppers will be good to go.

I just get annoyed when people ask a question that has an already obviouse answer people want piston ARs because its the rifle thats already reliable and accurate with good ergos and several decades of refinement behind it as well as endless aftermarket support, if you add to that a cleaner more reliable operating system like a piston it becomes a rifle with no weak points. If pistons were a solution looking for a problem then Delta wouldnt use HK416s and theres several other SF units using HK416s and LWRC uppers.

I'm a lazy guy these days and hate to have to clean my weapon and lube it all of the time, it would be nice if one of these days I could get my AR to require the attention my glock does to run.

Quoted:

Have you ever shot an AR tell it got so dirty it wouldn't run?

If not you need to try it.
Link Posted: 9/8/2009 9:17:40 AM EDT
[#5]
What if they used gas going through a carrier key and directing the bolt back  in a straight line?  They could do away with the op rod completely and just use a gas tube.  Has anyone ever thought of doing this?
Link Posted: 9/8/2009 9:40:02 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
What if they used gas going through a carrier key and directing the bolt back  in a straight line?  They could do away with the op rod completely and just use a gas tube.  Has anyone ever thought of doing this?

Give us all a f**king break.  If you've got nothing useful to add to this discussion, stay out of it!
Link Posted: 9/8/2009 10:34:15 PM EDT
[#7]
I have actually but I don't see what that has to do with anything since I agree that pistons are a good concept and DI guns work when properly maintained, I simply stated that a piston gun will run longer than a DI gun between cleanings all things beinng equal between the 2 and that I am sick of guys saying "buy a FAL or an AK". The AR that failed for me was a Bushmaster after about 1200 rounds my LWRC went about 2K before I finally cleaned it but it hadnt failed yet, I was just bored. My friend had an identical LWRC upper though that failed after about 1600 rounds with a YHM Phantom QD can if that makeds a difference to you, this was more due to LWRC not polishing the rough spots id the chrome in their chambers at the time than anything to do with the operating system. Plently of guys here probably have similar experiences though so this is nothing new. I just get pissed when people invalidate new concepts because they think that aniquated designs are as good as it gets and no one should try to improve things whith this logic our care would have square wheels.

Quoted:
Quoted:

I had an SLR106 and it was a cool rifle but it was inaccurate and difficult to outfid with optics or other accesories that are easy to put on an AR, eveh if I had a rail system on the AK it still ballanced badly and thats nat even taking into effect the proprietary 5.56 Ak mags that are pricey and hard to get sometimes. The AK is just a poor choice for anything other than an iron sight 100 yard beater gun.

Quoted:

Link Posted: 9/9/2009 1:20:57 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm new to the ar world and just got into it about 2 months ago.  I was looking to get an lwrc but ended up with a pof.
When you say "fail" regarding your friends lwrc, what do you mean exactly? Was a simple fix, needed to be clean?
And you did say something about that lwrc didn't polish the rough spots in the chrome chambers. How would you get that fixed? Send it back to lwrc?
Thanks.

Quoted:
I have actually but I don't see what that has to do with anything since I agree that pistons are a good concept and DI guns work when properly maintained, I simply stated that a piston gun will run longer than a DI gun between cleanings all things beinng equal between the 2 and that I am sick of guys saying "buy a FAL or an AK". The AR that failed for me was a Bushmaster after about 1200 rounds my LWRC went about 2K before I finally cleaned it but it hadnt failed yet, I was just bored. My friend had an identical LWRC upper though that failed after about 1600 rounds with a YHM Phantom QD can if that makeds a difference to you, this was more due to LWRC not polishing the rough spots id the chrome in their chambers at the time than anything to do with the operating system. Plently of guys here probably have similar experiences though so this is nothing new. I just get pissed when people invalidate new concepts because they think that aniquated designs are as good as it gets and no one should try to improve things whith this logic our care would have square wheels.

Quoted:
Quoted:

I
Link Posted: 9/9/2009 1:51:11 PM EDT
[#9]
LWRC was a new company and these were some of the first uppers they made, at the time they were not polishing away the rough spots in the chrome of the chambers in their barrels so when his rifle got really dirty the cases would stick in the chamber and this would cause the extracter to rip the part of the rim of the casing it was holdind onto off and leave the case in the chamber. They have fixed this now by polishing their chambers and even if you had a problem like I am describing all you would need to do is ship it back to them or get a dowel and some 0000 steel wool and gently polish your chamber. I had a POF as well but it would not stop shortstroking so I returned it, actually this is not correct because frank would not take a return even though it wasnt working on my lower he bought it back as a demo and I lost about $150 so I will never buy anything from him again YMMV I wish you good luck with your new rifle though I think the new rigs they make with the Vltor VIS look cool.

Quoted:
I'm new to the ar world and just got into it about 2 months ago.  I was looking to get an lwrc but ended up with a pof.
When you say "fail" regarding your friends lwrc, what do you mean exactly? Was a simple fix, needed to be clean?
And you did say something about that lwrc didn't polish the rough spots in the chrome chambers. How would you get that fixed? Send it back to lwrc?
Thanks.

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

I

Link Posted: 9/9/2009 2:23:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

or maybe an XCR??????
Link Posted: 9/10/2009 1:15:54 PM EDT
[#11]
What do you mean by this "I had a POF as well but it would not stop shortstroking "?

How old was your pof?  Did you try getting it repaired?

I just got my upper about a month ago and I hope I don't have the same problem. This would suck for my very first ar.

Quoted:
LWRC was a new company and these were some of the first uppers they made, at the time they were not polishing away the rough spots in the chrome of the chambers in their barrels so when his rifle got really dirty the cases would stick in the chamber and this would cause the extracter to rip the part of the rim of the casing it was holdind onto off and leave the case in the chamber. They have fixed this now by polishing their chambers and even if you had a problem like I am describing all you would need to do is ship it back to them or get a dowel and some 0000 steel wool and gently polish your chamber. I had a POF as well but it would not stop shortstroking so I returned it, actually this is not correct because frank would not take a return even though it wasnt working on my lower he bought it back as a demo and I lost about $150 so I will never buy anything from him again YMMV I wish you good luck with your new rifle though I think the new rigs they make with the Vltor VIS look cool.

Link Posted: 9/11/2009 9:35:42 AM EDT
[#12]
It was brand new and it went on a brand new doublestar lower, it just wouldnt go through a whole mag without short stroking about 12 rounds through a GI mag the bolt carrier would fail to come far enough rearward to fully eject the spent casing and pick up the next round from the mag (and I was using USGI mags with magpul followers) this happened with 8 different mags from different GI contracters as well. I would think it had to do with the gas port size but I tried both gas settings on the rifle and it didn't seem to make much difference because the same malfunction happened either way. This was about 5 years ago so I'm sure its been ironed out by now it still just makes me mad when you can't get a full refund on something that was clearly a manufaturer defect. After it ran like that I didn't care about getting it repared because I just didnt trust it and wanted a refund.
Link Posted: 9/11/2009 10:30:32 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

I've actually been wanting to try that with my Stag, just to see how long it will go before it starts to jam up.  It's never jammed on me yet.

I figure I'd probably plunk down and use PMC ammunition.  It's cheap and dirty, so it'd make a good ammo for this kind of test.
Link Posted: 9/11/2009 12:08:55 PM EDT
[#14]
I'm really considering getting the Ruger.  I have several of their other guns and have never had a problem.

Was just wondering if they have solved the problem with your rifle and if you're still happy with the customer service you've recieved.

Thanks
Link Posted: 9/11/2009 12:20:47 PM EDT
[#15]
1,200 rounds? Either the rifle wasn't a good one or the operator was using crappy ammo with no lubrication or both. 1,200 rounds, something somewhere went seriously wrong.

Quoted:
Link Posted: 10/14/2009 10:29:49 PM EDT
[#16]
Any more updates on  the buffer tube issue. I am planning on buying one in the next few weeks I really like the design and the extras, but if they are still having issues I might get a different AR.

Link Posted: 10/15/2009 5:04:55 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Any more updates on  the buffer tube issue. I am planning on buying one in the next few weeks I really like the design and the extras, but if they are still having issues I might get a different AR.

Dont't let it stop you.  It's only been a issue on a couple of guns, you will love the Ruger.

Link Posted: 10/17/2009 9:03:48 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
ah-ha.... Now I wonder if I thought of something.....

The manual says to use the lowest gas port setting that reliably cycles the rifle.  The rifle shipped at setting 2.  I am shooting good Federal American Eagle ammo.  I wonder if setting 2 is too high, and I am blasting the carrier back.... I never even thought to adjust to setting 1 and see if I could cycle OK.... Damn.... If I can, then maybe I am just running way to much force back through the system.

That could explain how differnt people see different stuff.... some are shooting crappier ammo, and need setting 2, maybe I don't.

Here's an idea and I use this on my RRA mid gas and she has run for 8000 rds NO PROBLEMS(I know this is a gas system but it might work on a piston system.). I run an ISMI spring and an H2 buffer.  What if you run the Ruger on setting number 2 and change the buffer spring to an ISMI(I think it's 4 or 6 extra coils on the spring)  and run a H or H2 and slow the bolt carrier down but not to the point were it will not cycle. I just bought a Ruger SR556 and will most likely not shot it till spring. I do have plans to buy an Adam Arms bolt spring and ISMI spring and trying out the H and H2 buffers.  
Link Posted: 10/17/2009 10:42:27 AM EDT
[#19]
Again, a solution to the problem if you are having it is:
Anti Tilt Buffer
Link Posted: 10/17/2009 12:07:00 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Again, a solution to the problem if you are having it is:
Anti Tilt Buffer

Any reviews on it? I was too lazy to read the thread on that other site
Link Posted: 10/17/2009 1:05:59 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

By far the best answer I've seen, worth reading twice.

DI guys just can't stand the fact that something might actually be better than their holy AR, or they fear change.  Who knows.  
Link Posted: 10/19/2009 4:26:44 PM EDT
[#22]
Has Ruger shipped the SR-556 with the modified bcg since the beginning or was this a modification they made after recognizing a tilt problem?
I guess I'm asking, "Are there 2 different bcg's out there to look for?"
Link Posted: 10/24/2009 7:01:56 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Has Ruger shipped the SR-556 with the modified bcg since the beginning or was this a modification they made after recognizing a tilt problem?
I guess I'm asking, "Are there 2 different bcg's out there to look for?"

Has anybody verified that there is more or less carrier tilt between one bolt carrier and the other?  I know LX200 theorized that Ruger had done some kind of "stealth upgrade" but I didn't think it was actually confirmed.
Link Posted: 10/24/2009 12:56:20 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Give us all a f**king break.  If you've got nothing useful to add to this discussion, stay out of it!

Lighten up, Francis.

Link Posted: 10/28/2009 4:10:35 PM EDT
[#25]
I read about buffer tube issues on Rugers before I bought mine.  Before firing mine I dumped the stock buffer spring and went with a David Tubbs Square Spring.  I've run about 1800 rounds through the Ruger and there is nary a mark on the inside of the tube.

Link Posted: 10/28/2009 5:10:42 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I read about buffer tube issues on Rugers before I bought mine.  Before firing mine I dumped the stock buffer spring and went with a David Tubbs Square Spring.  I've run about 1800 rounds through the Ruger and there is nary a mark on the inside of the tube.

Interesting.

Just out of curiosity, which bolt carrier do you have?
Link Posted: 10/30/2009 5:13:24 AM EDT
[#27]
Maybe of interest - I've noticed American Eagle out there loaded to M193 spec and also "tamer" - like the UMC.  It is kinda significant - like more than 200 FPS on the chrono.  Some is labled "M193" or "XM193", some is just labled "American Eagle".  I can not tell you if you can know for sure just by the label.  I've also seen this in the PMC "Bronze Line".  All of the Gov't contract over-run stuff from Winchester and Federal loaded on Lake City brass (the few thousand I've bought) are M193 spec.
Link Posted: 10/30/2009 5:17:09 AM EDT
[#28]
Maybe of interest - I've noticed American Eagle out there loaded to M193 spec and also "tamer" - like the UMC.  It is kinda significant - like more than 200 FPS on the chrono.  Some is labled "M193" or "XM193", some is just labled "American Eagle".  I can not tell you if you can know for sure just by the label.  I've also seen this in the PMC "Bronze Line".  All of the Gov't contract over-run stuff from Winchester and Federal loaded on Lake City brass (the few thousand I've bought) are M193 spec.
Page / 5
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top