+1

Link Posted: 2/16/2009 6:21:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Which one and why?

BCM!
Link Posted: 2/16/2009 6:23:58 PM EDT
[#5]
inbeforethetokenretardedcuntonwheelssaysacoltisjustpayingforaname.

ETA - Personally, I would choose a Colt.
Link Posted: 2/16/2009 6:28:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Both!
Link Posted: 2/16/2009 6:29:45 PM EDT
[#7]
hard to go wrong with either.
Link Posted: 2/16/2009 6:38:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Please....not this shit again...THIS WEEK.
Link Posted: 2/16/2009 6:42:26 PM EDT
[#9]
I have a colt,  but there was a small thread saying colt is overratted.
Link Posted: 2/16/2009 6:48:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

That's because anyone, including idiots and the mentally handicapped can post on the internet.
Link Posted: 2/16/2009 6:51:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Joined in 2001? Welcome to Arfcom.

If you can get one, buy it now.  End of discussion.
Link Posted: 2/16/2009 6:52:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's because anyone, including idiots and the mentally handicapped can post on the internet.

That is hurtful... I'm not much for Colt and I dont think it makes me a moron...  Do they still do that thing with offset pivot pins and atypical trigger pin sizes?
Link Posted: 2/16/2009 6:53:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Which one and why?

Which one do you want?
Link Posted: 2/16/2009 6:54:50 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That is hurtful... I'm not much for Colt and I dont think it makes me a moron...  Do they still do that thing with offset pivot pins and atypical trigger pin sizes?

They use a standard pivot pin size.

If your lower parts are made to the TDP spec and are properly heat-treated then you don't have to worry about your trigger pin. Since in the civilian world that only means Colt, well...guess you don't have to worry about the atypical size, eh?
Link Posted: 2/16/2009 6:57:55 PM EDT
[#15]
They are both great. That is the truth. Get which ever you like. You don't really need anymore info than that.
Link Posted: 2/16/2009 7:03:01 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If your lower parts are made to the TDP spec and are properly heat-treated then you don't have to worry about your trigger pin. Since in the civilian world that only means Colt, well...guess you don't have to worry about the atypical size, eh?

TDP?  please explain?  So your getting at that since the colt pins are well made and don't break the atypical size becomes a non issue or is this right over my head?  sorry.. i wanna learn...
Link Posted: 2/16/2009 7:06:42 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

TDP?  please explain?  So your getting at that since the colt pins are well made and don't break the atypical size becomes a non issue or is this right over my head?  sorry.. i wanna learn...

Technical Data Package, it defines how parts are made for the military rifles. Colt owns the TDP on the M4, they are the only manufacturer that produce their lower parts to the standard of the military rifles. There is a reason fi you can find one, a Colt lower parts kit is over 2x the cost of a DPMS parts kit.  So yes, that's exactly what I'm saying. My friend's Rock River bolt catch broke, and I have seen posts on another site by a few guys who have seen the same thing. That probably would not have happened if they were made to the same standard as Colt.
Link Posted: 2/16/2009 7:09:25 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Technical Data Package, it defines how parts are made for the military rifles. Colt owns the TDP on the M4, they are the only manufacturer that produce their lower parts to the standard of the military rifles. There is a reason fi you can find one, a Colt lower parts kit is over 2x the cost of a DPMS parts kit.  So yes, that's exactly what I'm saying. My friend's Rock River bolt catch broke, and I have seen posts on another site by a few guys who have seen the same thing. That probably would not have happened if they were made to the same standard as Colt.

gotcha...  thanks!
Link Posted: 2/16/2009 7:10:59 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

gotcha...  thanks!

No problem. For the record, I don't have a Colt ... yet. But I will own a 6920 one of these days.
Link Posted: 2/16/2009 7:17:15 PM EDT
[#20]
Get both.  If that's not an option get a Colt.  If that's not an option get an LMT.

Anything in Tier 1 will be a good purchse.  Anything in the following list (in no particular order) is the correct answer to the question "What kind of AR15 should I get?"

Colt
LMT
Noveske
KAC
BCM
Larue

Sabre, Defensive Edge and S&W are all GTG as well.

I don't think there is any need for this thread to continue but consider this a tag just in case.
Link Posted: 2/16/2009 7:17:29 PM EDT
[#21]
The thing is with the Colt owners, is in all reality they fail just as much as most all others. But out of pride of there expensive Colt rifles that cost twice what most people pay they limit there posting of broken parts and stories, this some how helps them justify all the money they spent as long as people thing they never fail and are the best rifles.
Link Posted: 2/16/2009 7:19:57 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
The thing is with the Colt owners, is in all reality they fail just as much as most all others. But out of pride of there expensive Colt rifles that cost twice what most people pay they limit there posting of broken parts and stories, this some how helps them justify all the money they spent as long as people thing they never fail and are the best rifles.

Very insightful.

Don't be jealous.
Link Posted: 2/16/2009 7:23:02 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

The thing with posters like this is that they have no idea what they are talking about.  Read a few AARs from major carbine courses and you will see that the exact opposite is true.  For the new folks out there looking to learn about ARs, disregard what was said above because it has no real basis.
Link Posted: 2/16/2009 7:23:46 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Get both.  If that's not an option get a Colt.  If that's not an option get an LMT.

Anything in Tier 1 will be a good purchse.  Anything in the following list (in no particular order) is the correct answer to the question "What kind of AR15 should I get?"

Colt
LMT
Noveske
KAC
BCM
Larue

Sabre, Defensive Edge and S&W are all GTG as well.

This

I don't think there is any need for this thread to continue but consider this a tag just in case.

Link Posted: 2/16/2009 7:41:05 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Wow this adds so much to the tech forum. Where is your data or first hand experience. If you must bash do it in GD.

Link Posted: 2/16/2009 10:54:35 PM EDT
[#26]
LMT

Just as good for hundreds of dollars less.
Link Posted: 2/17/2009 2:56:43 AM EDT
[#27]
Buy the LMT.

Just as good as Colt.

LMT is an American owned company, Colt is owned by an Iraqi citizen.

I own a Colt and an LMT, had the Colt since '93 but when I wanted another AR last year I went with the LMT.

Link Posted: 2/17/2009 3:31:53 AM EDT
[#28]
I used to be on the anti-colt bandwagon, mainly b/c I thought that pretty much all AR's were close to equal.  I could never justify why someone would spend that much more for a rifle.  Then I get to the LEO job I have now where we use  Colt M4's with the happy switch and I see the abuse we put them through and so far in the little over two years I've been here, we have yet to see the first FTF or any problem.  So I just ordered my 6920 a few weeks ago for $1150 shipped.  I can't wait to get it.

But buy either one, they are both top notch guns.
Link Posted: 2/17/2009 4:51:51 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
LMT

Just as good for hundreds of dollars less.

This.

Can pay 1300 with a sopmod (LMT) or pay 1500 without (colt). Some may say colt is better, they may be right. But for now, its more on what you can find, or how long your willing to wait.

Link Posted: 2/17/2009 4:56:29 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:

The thing with posters like this is that they have no idea what they are talking about.  Read a few AARs from major carbine courses and you will see that the exact opposite is true.  For the new folks out there looking to learn about ARs, disregard what was said above because it has no real basis.

He didn't say it very well, but if you think Colts don't break, you need to go work for an agency that has owned over 10,000 of them.  I assure you they break.
Link Posted: 2/17/2009 5:33:18 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

He means since the lower parts are out of spec, they are in spec!
Link Posted: 2/17/2009 5:45:07 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Which one and why?

Which one do you want?

Link Posted: 2/17/2009 6:51:41 AM EDT
[#33]
No more Colt bashing is allowed.

Stop it!
Link Posted: 2/17/2009 10:41:08 AM EDT
[#34]
I got both, get whatever you could find, they're both great.
Link Posted: 2/17/2009 3:28:55 PM EDT
[#35]
It seems like a question asked a lot here, but it's a legit concern IMHO.

I've had both and tend to veer toward Colt mainly because I've put more rounds downrange with my 6920 than just about anything else.  

Also my LMT came with a standard carbine buffer instead of an H (probably not and issue, but I replaced it anyway), and no side sling swivel (personal preference), I run a Vickers, so the side swivel works out without having to buy an aftermaket part.  The barrel parkerizing on the LMT was very strange.  It seemed very thick and light colored, more like the Bushmaster my buddy has, and LMT does not park under the FSB (non issue for me, can't speak for the OP).  Colts parkerizing seemed more even and is a pleasing dark grey/green (cosmetic, but we ARE splitting hairs).

Receiver fit was about the same (both VERY loose), but the LMT had more attractive machining.  Also I found the LMT was more accurate than the Colt with the same barrel profile.
I kept the Colt mainly because I had more money in it, and I had fired it more, so psychologically I trusted it more.
My advice is to buy what is available now, IMHO both guns have strengths/weaknesses that balance each other out.
Link Posted: 2/17/2009 3:38:36 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Link Posted: 2/17/2009 3:42:25 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

15 posts since Nov 2008....check.
Colt vs. anybody thread.....check.

Analysis:  
Link Posted: 2/17/2009 4:03:50 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

He didn't say it very well, but if you think Colts don't break, you need to go work for an agency that has owned over 10,000 of them.  I assure you they break.

I have no doubt that they break.  But the failure rates are lower than commercial brands.  A Colt or LMT (Tier 1) is going to be more reliable and less failure prone than a commercial spec gun.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top