Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/3/2008 5:13:05 AM EDT
new build (sorry no pics no camera) its a 16inch hbar with A2fh,fn upper,m4comm stock 9mmbuffer, and yesterday after 120rounds my shoulder is brused, this one recoils a LOT harder than my other m4forgery.
ideas to tame this one down please?
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 5:18:52 AM EDT
[#1]
Try a Wolf buffer spring.  I have one on my pistol cal set up and it's pretty stiff.  You might also want to look into a pig tail gas tube instead.  Pig Tail
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 5:51:10 AM EDT
[#2]
you can try a heavier buffer. or you could go hardcore and get one of those pneumatic buffer setups
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 6:10:40 AM EDT
[#3]
I'm assuming this one is kidding guys.  Gotta be a joke right?
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 7:22:01 AM EDT
[#4]
Not even a little.  I laid down 120 rounds of OO buck with my 12 gauge without a bruise, but I too have run into ar's that'll bruise the hell outta your arm.  I always used heavier buffers and springs.  Worked everytime.  These guns "usually" don't have alot of recoil, but every now and again you run into one that really starts to piss you off with that tap on the shoulder.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 7:25:17 AM EDT
[#5]
Uh Bruising from 223?
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 7:48:11 AM EDT
[#6]
.22 conversion kit
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 7:49:29 AM EDT
[#7]
I've got a Daisy that has no recoil I'll trade you for it. You pay shipping.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 8:19:19 AM EDT
[#8]
Even a bolt action .223 shouldn't be able to bruise your shoulder. You may need to go see a doctor.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 8:24:40 AM EDT
[#9]

wow $86 for a gas tube

Quoted:
Try a Wolf buffer spring.  I have one on my pistol cal set up and it's pretty stiff.  You might also want to look into a pig tail gas tube instead.  Pig Tail
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 9:03:52 AM EDT
[#10]
I don't really have a problem with believing a really light carbine firing 5.56 ammo can do this.  BUT, he's saying a heavier barreled variant than the other is worse.  That don't make sense to me.  Maybe it has a worn spring.  This same subject came up a week ago in almost an identical manner.  

I've gotten a bruise from shooting a bunch of 5.56 ammo out of my 20"er in one day with just a tshirt on.  It wasn't really black and blue, but just a little red and did have a little bit of hurt to it.  And that was back when I was doing push ups regularly.  I guess I'm just not as hard as some of you guys.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 9:22:32 AM EDT
[#11]
Hi all,

I get a bruise -- not black and blue, but red -- every time I fire my DCM rifle. It's not from the recoil, which I hardly feel, but from the fact that I use the sling to keep the rifle pretty dang tight on my body.

If I had a proper shooting jacket I don't think I'd have that problem.

Shooting offhand gives me no bruises.

Regards,

-Drew
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 2:38:48 PM EDT
[#12]
You may try one of the muzzle brakes out there depending on how loud you want to turn the volume up.  I too get what llooks like blood trying to come to the surface from even just pulling the rifle to my shoulder.  I dont even have to fire it.  With that said i dont get a blue bruse.  Im not a big guy at all so that probably helps the fact.  

Now back to your question.

There are a few things you can try.  

First off would be just a muzzle brake and they vary in loudness and effectivness.  I think with eception to a suppressor you could safley say the more effective it is the louder it is.  A flash hider isnt nessisarily a brake but there are models out that try to do both.

Second thing is to try some different buffers but be sure when you do this that you take the time to shoot a few magazines loaded with atleast one round.  This is to function check to be sure it still works good with the heavier buffer.  Having said that since you have a 9mm buffer you are already at pretty much the heaviest short of a custom buffer.  I dont have experience with the pnumatic buffers so ill have to step aside for that.

Third thing you can try is a different buffer spring.  There are some that offer a higher compression strength like the tubb flatwire spring.  Another thing you may can check but i dont know if this can be an issue is: be sure your spring is a one for a collapsable stock and not a fixed a2.  It could be bottoming out making felt recoil higher.  I dont have a measurment handy but someone else may.  

Another couple things that may help is some reading or classes to help with the shooting position.  I know i can use some help with shooting so if you can find it by all means use it.  Then there is always the shoulder pad.  It will reduce felt recoil and help with seeing your pulse when shooting.  Another option to the pad is just some heavy clothes but that may be better left to winter.  

I know this will probably start something but i know many of you think the AR has NO recoil at all.  Some of us feel differently and we all have different body types.  It seems like anytime someone wants recoil help all they get is the comments we all know so well.  Offer solutions or dont bother posting.  "Rant off"    

Let us know what you would like to look more into and maybe we can offer some product or DIY suggestions.

Link Posted: 6/3/2008 3:01:28 PM EDT
[#13]
I have a question for twister - and it isn't meant to insinuate anything, becuase I'm just wondering.

I've only shot military 5.56 a few times, and some of those cartridges were placed only on one side of the mag, while the other had my other loads.  This was done intentionally for me to feel the difference in kick between the standard .223 loads most of us can buy, and the military loads (which did kick a little more).

What ammo are you using, twister - reloads, standard .223, or military?

On another note, I have a light build: A1 upper, Bushy Superlight barrel, and no extras, yet that never leaves a bruise (and I don't fully should the stock, either - the base of it touches the top of my shoulder, and with Floridian shirts (thin).  Granted, I think my brother's old 20-inch has less kick, but even mine is tame enough for bench shooting at the 100 and 200 yard ranges for well over 100 rounds.  But now I'm wondering if it would be as comfortable with military loads in it?

Link Posted: 6/3/2008 3:10:29 PM EDT
[#14]
Are you chicken-winging?

If so, I'll bet a retraining of proper shooting stance is in order.
A more squared stance will help place the stock closer to your upper chest
and off the unmeaty part of the shoulder. You should be able to take much more that way.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 3:16:57 PM EDT
[#15]
Try shooting a Mosin Nagant or a WWII Mauser for an afternoon (only a few hundred rounds). Steel buttplates and full-power rifle cartridges are your friend!

The recoil from your AR will disappear entirely!
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 3:19:18 PM EDT
[#16]
Wait a minute.

This is serious deja vu.

I remember this exact thread from a few years back, and I think it turned out to be a total troll post.

Nobody gets bruised by shooting an ar-15.  

I'm gonna go start a thread in the rimfire forum claiming that my 10/22 dislocated my shoulder.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 3:31:39 PM EDT
[#17]
Honestly, you're holding the rifle wrong.

This is a short clip from Downrange TV of a tactical rifle class.  In a nutshell, you don't have to hold the shoulder stock to your shoulder...

1.  You can put the stock anywhere on your body.  Since you're a wimp (and I'm a weakling) you can put the stock as close to the center of your body as possible.  That is what this instructor advises.

2.  Tactical Response advises something similiar, where one doesn't bring their head down to the rifle... but rather, you roll your shoulders, and bring the rifle up to your head.

link.brightcove.com/services/link/bcpid452320104/bclid824098518/bctid1137697611
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 4:08:45 PM EDT
[#18]
Take one of those pads from your purse and place it between the rifle and your shoulder when you shoot.

Link Posted: 6/3/2008 4:11:28 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Take one of those pads from your purse and place it between the rifle and your shoulder when you shoot.

Link Posted: 6/3/2008 4:49:45 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

I think I just pissed my self!!!!!!!!!!          
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 5:25:21 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
I'm assuming this one is kidding guys.  Gotta be a joke right?

I've gotten brusing from one AR-15.  Had a weak buffer spring.

Yes, try the Wolff Extra Power Action Spring.  There is one for rifles, and one for carbines.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 6:09:04 PM EDT
[#22]
Just to put it on the table... easy bruising could be a medical issue.  Do you have unexpected bruising elsewhere with maybe no explanation?  if so you may want to see a doc.

I went to a physical after a 3 gun shoot and the shotgun slipped onto my arm and after several of 10 slugs (I didn't notice it) it left me bruised.  The doc noticed it too and it was the first thing he asked me about.

So, I hope you are well, but that might be something to consider.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 6:23:29 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Wait a minute.

This is serious deja vu.

I remember this exact thread from a few years back, and I think it turned out to be a total troll post.

Nobody gets bruised by shooting an ar-15.  

I'm gonna go start a thread in the rimfire forum claiming that my 10/22 dislocated my shoulder.

There was one of these a few WEEKS ago, too.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 6:36:04 PM EDT
[#24]
Very LAME joke...
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 4:57:37 AM EDT
[#25]
ther are some really really funny replies here,some worthless replies,and some great advice,I wouldn`t expect anything different from here.

BUT I found the problem,
the SPRING,
took the spring out of my other 16build,and put it in my new build,problem solved,measured the spring and the new spring is 1inch shorter and a LOT weaker.... 9mmbuffer+bad spring=bounce
9mmbuffer+good spring=problem solved
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 6:36:57 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
ther are some really really funny replies here,some worthless replies,and some great advice,I wouldn`t expect anything different from here.

BUT I found the problem,
the SPRING,
took the spring out of my other 16build,and put it in my new build,problem solved,measured the spring and the new spring is 1inch shorter and a LOT weaker.... 9mmbuffer+bad spring=bounce
9mmbuffer+good spring=problem solved

What do I win?  
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 7:21:00 AM EDT
[#27]
After having shot over 1000 rounds in three days of prairie dog shooting I have discovered that it is possible to get bruised by a .223hock.gif
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 9:47:20 AM EDT
[#28]
I put down about a 1000 everytime I go out and don't where all that tacticool silly shit when I am out in the dessert lookin for varmint.  You can and will get bruised alittle.  In my case, I think it is because I a probably hold it a little to tight and that is probably the cause of the bruising rather than the recoil, but the recoil doesn't make  a sore arm feel any better.  To each their own, but that's my .02.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top