BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 3/5/2008 7:21:17 PM EDT
I don't know if there should be any "requirements" to post in this thread.  I think if your barrel has a LW profile.  Or maybe an SBR that doesn't weight too much.  I don't know.  CombatJack I think suggested if it weighs under 6lbs.  That's probably a good rule of thumb, maybe.  But to be honest, I have no clue how much this one weighs.  A 6520 weighs 5.8 lbs (according to Colt) and this is probably pretty darn close.  

I'll be putting a sling and Light on it and get some better pics.  But for now, it'll have to do.

Here's my specs:

ADCO built the upper with a

Colt 16" LW barrel
WOA upper receiver
ETA: has M4 feed ramps
WOA Bolt and BCG & CH
RRA Carry handle I cut down
RRA Lower receiver with a 2 stage trigger and 6 pos M4 stock

ETA: Please post pics of your Light Weights and if you don't have anything positive to add, please refrain from posting.  I didn't think Light Weight AR's had to be so controversial (referring to the other threads obviously)
Link Posted: 3/5/2008 7:23:12 PM EDT
[#1]
About as light as I get

Link Posted: 3/5/2008 7:23:53 PM EDT
[#2]
SWEEEEEET!!!!  I guess that would definitely qualify!!!!  Thank you!

Link Posted: 3/5/2008 7:36:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Spot saved.
Link Posted: 3/5/2008 8:34:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Not sure if mine meets the weight requirement but heres my cmmg lightweight.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v448/skate1337/DSCN0158.jpg
Link Posted: 3/5/2008 8:46:27 PM EDT
[#5]
hmmm

Link Posted: 3/5/2008 11:53:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Colt MT6530

Link Posted: 3/6/2008 4:32:19 AM EDT
[#7]
DPMS Lite 16

Link Posted: 3/6/2008 4:33:31 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/6/2008 4:57:33 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 3/6/2008 5:51:21 AM EDT
[#10]
Sweet!!!  I hope they keep coming.  Hopefully RustedAce will post his.  They probably don't weigh under 6 with his optics but I'm sure their not too heavy and fit the description of LW.
Link Posted: 3/6/2008 9:31:28 AM EDT
[#11]
Before w 16in BL. Black CH.

After: 14.7 BL and Graey CH.
Link Posted: 3/6/2008 10:44:29 AM EDT
[#12]
RRA Elite CAR A4 with Steve's lightweight/shortened barrel work.

Link Posted: 3/6/2008 4:48:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Steve, I like your sig line!!!!!!

Good pics guys!!!!!
Link Posted: 3/7/2008 9:01:46 AM EDT
[#14]
Bumped for chewy or anyone else!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 3/7/2008 9:06:56 AM EDT
[#15]

Colt 6520 upper on Cav Arms lower.  TA33.  IDF sling.
Link Posted: 3/7/2008 9:09:48 AM EDT
[#16]
Did you weigh it like that?
Link Posted: 3/7/2008 9:22:32 AM EDT
[#17]
My ultra light go to rig. 1.10lbs Beat that!

Link Posted: 3/7/2008 9:28:45 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

img511.imageshack.us/img511/1791/11599vt4.jpg

I think we have met our goal here people The weight issue is solved
Link Posted: 3/7/2008 9:38:54 AM EDT
[#19]
cavarms lower

cmmg middy 14.5" LW upper.

Was absolutely SIIIIIIILLY light before I put on the rail,

which is a gen II Midwest Industries Free floater.

Still pretty f'ing light in pictured config.

Link Posted: 3/7/2008 9:40:17 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
i29.tinypic.com/2nt8r3s.jpg

Colt 6520 upper on Cav Arms lower.  TA33.  IDF sling.

I've had that setup as well.  nothing beats it for light functionality.
Link Posted: 3/7/2008 9:42:37 AM EDT
[#21]
I don't think you can get too much lighter than this.  OAL is 20"

The mailman arrived this afternoon and here's the final product...

ETA:  Just got finished putting the upper together this morning.  My Tango Down Battlegrip and EOtech should be in this afternoon.  
Link Posted: 3/7/2008 9:52:11 AM EDT
[#22]
No mine, rather "ours."

...Air Force GUU-5/P

Link Posted: 3/7/2008 9:56:58 AM EDT
[#23]
Mine's coming.

Here it is...sort of...

Carbon fiber hand guard hiding a medium weight barrel, pretty much the same diameter all the way back to the chamber.  That top end is going onto the CAV Arms lower as soon as I get the LPK for it.  Only thing to add is a rear BUIS.
Link Posted: 3/7/2008 10:32:44 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 3/7/2008 10:35:30 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

img511.imageshack.us/img511/1791/11599vt4.jpg</a>

I think we have met our goal here people The weight issue is solved

You've forgotten about NERF!
Link Posted: 3/7/2008 11:22:30 AM EDT
[#26]
Thats coming tonight
Link Posted: 3/7/2008 11:56:07 AM EDT
[#27]
Awww cmon, let's keep it on topic!!!!!!  

Nice pics guys.

It's funny how the GUU has an A2 grip.
Link Posted: 3/7/2008 12:55:47 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
I don't know if there should be any "requirements" to post in this thread.  I think if your barrel has a LW profile.  Or maybe an SBR that doesn't weight too much.  I don't know.  CombatJack I think suggested if it weighs under 6lbs.  That's probably a good rule of thumb, maybe.  But to be honest, I have no clue how much this one weighs.  A 6520 weighs 5.8 lbs (according to Colt) and this is probably pretty darn close.  

I'll be putting a sling and Light on it and get some better pics.  But for now, it'll have to do.

render1.snapfish.com/render2/is=Yup6aQQ%7C%3Dup6RKKt%3Axxr%3D0-qpDPfRt7Pf7mrPfrj7t%3DzrRfDUX%3AeQaQxg%3Dr%3F87KR6xqpxQQQ0xPlQxQoQxv8uOc5xQQQGJenJGQGlQqpfVtB%3F*KUp7BHSHqqy7XH6gX0QPGa%7CRup6lQQ%7C/of=50,590,442

render1.snapfish.com/render2/is=Yup6aQQ%7C%3Dup6RKKt%3Axxr%3D0-qpDPfRt7Pf7mrPfrj7t%3DzrRfDUX%3AeQaQxg%3Dr%3F87KR6xqpxQQQ0xPlQxQoQxv8uOc5xQQQGJenJGJGonqpfVtB%3F*KUp7BHSHqqy7XH6gX0QPGa%7CRup6lQQ%7C/of=50,590,442

Here's my specs:

ADCO built the upper with a

Colt 16" LW barrel
WOA upper receiver
WOA Bolt and BCG
RRA Carry handle I cut down
RRA Lower receiver with a 2 stage trigger.

ETA: Please post pics of your Light Weights and if you don't have anything positive to add, please refrain from posting.  I didn't think Light Weight AR's had to be so controversial (referring to the other threads obviously)

Did we forget about this thread??? You know the IDF/KISS thread...ehhh whatever floats your boats I guess I like my heavy profile SOCOM M4 stepped barrel
Link Posted: 3/7/2008 1:17:23 PM EDT
[#29]
It is similar, but a little different.  I'm not planning on posting a pic of my A2 20"er.  It's very KISS but doesn't really strike me as a Light Weight build.  As DM has stated, it's not that it's overly heavy, it's just not in the spirit of choosing components that enhance the Light Weightness of the AR.  Does that make sense.  Now my brothers Fulton Legacy, for a rifle, that's pretty LW.  No FA and brass deflector.  LW A1 barrel.  That thing is sweet.  It might not weight six pounds, but it's not a whole heck of a lot heavier.  Another example is my Dad's M4gery.  It's not really all that light because it's an RRA barrel that is an HBAR.  It feels as heavy as my A2 20".  Probably not quite as much but not really totally LW.  With a LW barrel under the handgaurds, then yea.  But it's pretty KISS.  Just has a detachable A2 handle.  I like that one too.

Link Posted: 3/7/2008 5:36:12 PM EDT
[#30]
Well, besides the 1.10# champ, nobody really seems to know what these things weigh. So I got a scale today, and for a reference point, this weighs 6 lbs. 2 oz.:

Which was a tad heavier than I might have guessed.
Link Posted: 3/7/2008 6:04:23 PM EDT
[#31]
What tricks are everybody using?  I'm using the cut up Colt bolt carrier, CAV Arms lower, and was going to look at carbine versus A1 buffers, which ever is lighter.  I was looking to get a Geissele trigger.  Is there anything lighter?
Link Posted: 3/7/2008 10:11:30 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
What tricks are everybody using?  I'm using the cut up Colt bolt carrier, CAV Arms lower, and was going to look at carbine versus A1 buffers, which ever is lighter.  I was looking to get a Geissele trigger.  Is there anything lighter?

You are fretting/tripping on too much...don't worry about the minutia of the internals; get a quality LW barrel, upper of your choice (A1,2,3/4) put it on your Cav Arms and call it good, after of course you have chosen your sight system.

I am probably the most vocal advocate of the Compact ACOG mounted to the carry handle of either an A1 or A2 upper.  This combo is light weight, allows the ACOG for primary use and gives the shooter instant access to the irons for close up and back-up.
Link Posted: 3/8/2008 6:07:52 AM EDT
[#33]
I wish I had a scale that was that accurate.  My digital scale for weighing humans goes rounds half pounds.  Plus, it won't even weigh something that small.  I have to get on it.  Then get on it with my rifle and see how much it added.  I should do that with my LW and see if it turns out to be 6 or 6.5.  If it's over 6 it will round up to 6.5.

Well, my AR falls into a 5.5 category.  But that's probably because it's round up my weight too.  It'd be nice to know what it really is.

I didn't use any "tricks".  I have one of those Colt half circle carriers in my rifle,  but I'm not going to swap it out.  I'd rather have the heavier carrier in the carbine.  I'm not sure if it would make a difference though.  Colt uses those in carbines.  I'm not sure how much weight it would save either.

Since this is a pic thread:

Link Posted: 3/8/2008 8:31:05 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

This is the things I was speaking of, someone throw this man a life preserver.
Link Posted: 3/8/2008 8:46:54 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

You might want to check out these threads:

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=4&t=355990

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=4&t=359047

PursuitSS
Link Posted: 3/8/2008 8:58:08 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

This is weird!
Link Posted: 3/8/2008 9:22:18 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

There will always be people on either extreme of the situation.  I  agree that fractions of a fraction of an oz on battries is just plain silly.  But a bolt carrier maybe.  I don't know what the weight difference is.  Buffer too.  If you don't need a heavier buffer, why not just keep the standard.  A few ounces here and there can add up.  I swear I could feel a difference between a carry handle and a Troy flip up BUIS.  I know it's small, but for some reason I could tell.  Maybe it was in my head.
Link Posted: 3/8/2008 9:22:47 AM EDT
[#38]
JJREA, I really like that carbine.  I would put a tritium night sight on the front add a small section of rail for a QD light and that would be a great trunk/camp gun.  

I am actually just about to head off the range to shoot my Cav-Colt; I have not fired it yet with the Cav lower.
Link Posted: 3/8/2008 9:27:25 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
Did you weigh it like that?

No, my scale is about as worthless as Rosie O'Donald's.  I would say I would suprised if it is over 6 though.
Link Posted: 3/8/2008 9:29:41 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
I don't think you can get too much lighter than this.  OAL is 20"

i67.photobucket.com/albums/h292/Magoo6541/Gun%20Pics/DSCN0109.jpg
i67.photobucket.com/albums/h292/Magoo6541/Gun%20Pics/DSCN0114.jpg

The mailman arrived this afternoon and here's the final product...

ETA:  Just got finished putting the upper together this morning.  My Tango Down Battlegrip and EOtech should be in this afternoon.  

Dude...that is sweet!  

I like the unique design, very creative.  Throw some HK style sights on it and you are really groovin...
Link Posted: 3/8/2008 9:50:58 AM EDT
[#41]
A regular M4 is LW

I know 1 of mine is

only thing added was ARMS 40 and a IFFYTECH 551
LMT 14.5 upper
VLTOR/Bushy lower
retracted tele stock 30 1/2 inches

Now My Factory LMT DEFENDER 2000 14.5 M4 SOPMOD  IS KINDA HEAVY
The Time I added
Larue canti
Aimpoint ML2
KAC RAS
KAC FVG
Viking Tatics mount & G2 surefire
PR-4 mount and Black Hawk 1pt sling
Link Posted: 3/8/2008 9:54:34 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

VERY NICE

I had 2 A1 `s myself
[
Link Posted: 3/8/2008 3:45:00 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
JJREA, I really like that carbine.  I would put a tritium night sight on the front add a small section of rail for a QD light and that would be a great trunk/camp gun.  

I am actually just about to head off the range to shoot my Cav-Colt; I have not fired it yet with the Cav lower.

Thank you.  I like your suggestions.

I'd love to see a report on your range trip and more pics in this thread!  
Link Posted: 3/8/2008 4:58:04 PM EDT
[#44]
The CavColt carbine I put together for wifey... light weight, reliability and ease of use (simplicity) were my objectives.  Here she is today taking the CavColt for its first run:

Here is her best 15 shot group using PP M193 at 100 yards:

Here is mine using same ammo, same range:

Overall impression is very positive.  The carbine handles great, we had ZERO reliability issues, and I think for what the rig is designed to do and the ammo we were shooting is definitely accurate enough. The light weight of the carbine does cause it to exhibit more recoil when firing but it was not enough to concern her at all, it is a 223 AR after all.

Bottom line, after messing around with so many different combinations of builds striving to find her a perfect solution, I can say with utmost confidence that this rig delivers.

ETA:  It was a bit windy today too...
Link Posted: 3/8/2008 5:06:50 PM EDT
[#45]
Yeah, recoil.  There is always a trade off.  

Great Pics!!!!  Your lady is beautiful.  Very styling too at the range.  Bet she turns heads.

Good groups too!!!!
Link Posted: 3/8/2008 6:03:03 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
Yeah, recoil.  There is always a trade off.  

Great Pics!!!!  Your lady is beautiful.  Very styling too at the range.  Bet she turns heads.

Good groups too!!!!

Thanks.

I am suprised you said the groups are good, most here on the internet say they shoot sub-moa "all day long"... you must actually shoot!
Link Posted: 3/9/2008 10:35:24 AM EDT
[#47]
Well I do of course.  hehehehhehehhehahahahahaha.  Just kidding.

I find that if I shoot 2 MOA at 100 yards with a scope regularly, that is doing pretty good.  But that's with much more magnification than what you have.  If i shot with ammo my barrel doesn't like, I don't come even close to what you have.  With irons, if I shoot 4 MOA at 100 yards I'm doing really good.  If I can keep all my rounds in the black at 100 yards, I'm happy.  I can't do that standing up though.  Plus, I have a feeling a carbine is going to be more challenging than other AR's I'm used to.  (sight radius).  I usually zero at the 60 yard range we have.  I'll have to see how it goes.  It's kind of cold out so I don't think I'm going today.  I can't wait to shoot mine though.

So does your's not have M4 feedramps?  That's interesing because mine is a colt barrel and it does.  Hmmmm.....
Link Posted: 3/9/2008 11:49:49 AM EDT
[#48]
Ill play..

Link Posted: 3/9/2008 12:34:12 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Right.  3X of the TA33 and the chevron design is not same a 9X crosshair reticle, so I think we, more importantly her, did decent; especially with mil-spec ammo.

As far as the Colt it does nto have ramps, but the barrel is marked C MP 1/7 NATO, has standard FSB, .625 profile, etc, on an A2 receiver marked CAF which is Cerro Forge something or rather who makes Colt receivers.  But it does NOT have m4 ramps and came with a full circle rear, non-shorouded carrier, so I think this upper is old pre M4 ramps being put on carbines, or something as it is a bit of a mystery to what it is.  However, there have been alot of similar upper popping up in the EE and I have asked all of them if they have ramps, and most of them did not so.... whatever.

Eitherway, I am happy.  Colt goes boom everytime unlike my two prior LW upper attampts using BM barrels.
Link Posted: 3/9/2008 12:43:09 PM EDT
[#50]
DPMS on top (as it shud be)
Bushy on bottom

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top