Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/16/2007 7:59:42 AM EDT
Just wondering if there is such an animal?

I'd like to build/buy an upper in the short russian, but here in NY we have the AWB to deal with. Were there any magazines made prior to 09/04?
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 8:09:23 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 8:35:39 AM EDT
[#2]
I think(therein lies the problem) that I'm able to build a 7.62SR upper on a new lower as long as it doesn't have any "evil" features. I guess I'd be more concerned with being limited to a 10 rd. magazine.

I haven't been able to find much info on the availability of 20 rd. "pre-ban" mags.

The NY AWB is a mirror of the Clinton AWB so I would need pre-ban mags.
I've read about regular AR mags working OK with the SR round as long as they're only loaded to 6-8 rds. If I can't find reliable, legal 20rd mags, I won't bother. I may just look at an AK if I could find one from pre-94.

I don't know much about AK's so I thought it may be easier to just build an AR. I've always liked the 7.62x39 round....dunno why
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 8:53:08 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 9:09:37 AM EDT
[#4]
There is a company out there called MWG Company they are the ones who make the ugly 90roudn mags for the AR.  They make a new polymer 10 round mag for the 7.62X39 AR. for around $15.00.  Again I have not tried them myself but maybe someone else has and can give some feedback.

MWG Company 10rd mags
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 10:33:34 AM EDT
[#5]
MWG mags are availible at DPMS

http://www.dpmsinc.com/store/?cat=1517

(sorry links not hot)

I don't own any , nor do I know anything about them.
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 10:43:16 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 11:28:13 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

But if you're going for Yote's why not just get a 5.56?  Lots of guys hunt them with 5.56 - you'll get better and accuracy with 5.56 anyway.

Yotes? huh?
Actually, I do hunt coyotes but you lost me as to how you know that...lol

I use a bolt gun to hunt with as precision is my real passion

I just always liked the SR round, and it's capable of superb accuracy in the right gun. An AK of any type won't do the round justice in that regard. I'm just looking for a bit more "punch" in a defensive carbine.

I guess I may be better off to look for a pre-ban AK, although I have no idea how to find one.
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 11:57:50 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 3:00:03 PM EDT
[#9]

If you want precision - than a 5.56 AR-15, or one in 6.5G should be what you need to look at if you want 1000y performance.  ARs are an extreamly accurate rifle with a good barrel, you have to spend a pretty penny to get a bolt gun that will keep up with an AR varmint or match rig.

A precision AR is definately on my "to do" list. Actually, you can buy a hella lot of precision in a bolt gun nowadays for $1K. According to my sources it's gonna cost me like $1500 to put a good AR together.

Also, people out here in the boonies tend to frown upon guys in camo with black rifles lurking around...lol

The main reason I haven't gone with a 6.8 is that there's no surplus ammo for that. If there were, I'd have one by now. I can't believe how hungry these AR thingamabobs are.
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 3:10:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top