User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 145
Posted: 8/4/2007 2:38:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ar_mcadams]
" />

.......................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

[Jump To Reply]Originally Posted By BB:
the OP should contain what makes a correct AR15A4 M16A4 clone like the cool kid clone threads.

One could probably write a fair sized book on all the changes that have been made to the M16A4 as a weapon system over time, so you can understand that it's somewhat difficult to do a write up to the effect of: "This is what constitutes an M16A4 clone..."

I sure someone will be along shortly to either refute or amend some of this, as I'm far from what I would consider to be a subject matter expert on it all, though I'll give it a try...

In regards to the M16A4, I generally view the weapon as having 3 distinct eras: "Early A4s", "The War Years" (to include US Army & Marine Corps variants), & "Modern Era A4s".

Early 'A4s...(July '97 - Sep '99)

Officially, the M16A4 was adopted on July 29th, 1997, to replace the M16A2 as the standard-issue rifle for both the U.S Army & the US Marine Corps. While there were prototypes rifles (XM16A2E4s) in use on dates before July of '97, their features (grey anodizing or such) are not generally considered when discussing "Early A4" clones.

Early M16A4s are noted by their use of:

M16A2 barrel assemblies (having rifle feed ramped barrel extensions & fixed carry-handle height front sight bases)
Non-"M" or "M4" marked flat-top upper receivers (these early A4 upper receivers did NOT have M4 Feed ramps)
They used peel-washers to time their flash suppressors during most of this period.
Most were delivered to their respective services equipped with standard ("shiny-surfaced") A2 hand guards.
They were delivered with standard detachable carry handle rear sights.
They all used metal trap doors in their A2 stock end plates.
Their safety selectors, while having a "tick" to indicate the mode of operation, were only single-sided (no ambidextrous safeties were in use) & the "lever" itself extended from the edge of the safety rather than from the middle as currently issued ones do.
Their A2 pistol grips also tended to be of a "shinier" black material & the bottom forward "bump" was not as pronounced as currently issued ones (it incorporated a smoother transition to the tip).
While the Parkerizing of the various steel components (Components like the barrel, hand guard retainer cap, flash suppressor, forward assist, rear sights on the detachable carry handle, ect.) were more "grey" in color than they were "black", the upper & lower receivers after the adoption date were anodized to a Type II (black) hard-coat specification. (Someone more knowledgeable than me may know if there were ever actually any "M16A4"s with "grey" receivers, though I know of none that were officially labeled as such.)
Early A4s were known to have used either the US M7, or US M9 bayonet (with early straight tube-style grip).
Sling-use varied between: standard M1-style sling or black A2 "silent" sling, though by sometime @ early '98?, various 3-point slings started showing up in use.
As for side-sling swivels, I'm not certain if it was only a Colt thing or what, but seems like some rifles had them, and others didn't. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable will chime in on this.

(Starting @ Oct '98? - early '99?)
A4s started showing up either equipped with, or were modified by the addition of, a KAC M5 Rail Adapter System (RAS).
These early drop-in rails tended to be more "purple" than "black" in color.

(For a short time between Oct '99 to @ early 2003(ish?))
ARMS #59M SIR systems would be seen to be installed on select units' M16A4s.

What I like to call...
"The War Years"...doesn't have so much to do with any particular "war" per se, but is basically from @ 2000 - 2010(ish)

These M16A4s are noted by their use of:

True A4 barrel assemblies having "M4" feed ramped barrel extensions & "F"-marked (detachable carry handle height) front sight bases.
Flat top "M" or "M4" marked upper receivers incorporating "M4" feed ramps.
They used "crush" washers to time their flash suppressors.
Their A2 pistol grips, while still incorporating the earlier tapering of the bottom "bump", were made of a notably less-shiny material.
The steel components (barrel, HG end caps, triggers, ect.) began having more of a true "black" coloring due to changes made in the surface-treatment procedures.
These rifles began being delivered with KAC (or later, P&S Products) M5 rail adapter systems pre-installed from the factory.
They still incorporated metal (aluminum) trap door assembles in their A2 stocks, though the stock-body materials began being produced in a slightly more "grey" color, than the deeper "black" color of earlier models.
Sometime during the later part of this era (@ 2009ish?) ambidextrous safeties started showing up occasionally in use.
Detachable carry handles began to be phased out of deliveries (or packaged separately with the weapon) as A4s began to be shipped out with either no rear iron sights or had Matech back up rear iron sights equipped... Also, KAC 600m? sights were occasionally (though rarely) seen to be used rather than the Matechs during this time period. (May have been KAC 800m sights - my memory is somewhat hazy in this regard)
These rifles were often seen using Surefire M95 & M96-series weapon lights (M951/M952 or M961/M962 models both with & without the use of tape switches) The earliest ones had "wide" bodies (thicker) & "ribbed" head assemblies. Later ones used thinner bodies & had smooth head assemblies. These changes were made in an effort to lighten the accessory weight-wise, at the expense of heat dissipation.
Depending on the AO - Buttstock magazine pouches were often used during this time period. Most were seen to be black in color, though occasionally other color variants like olive drab or camo-patterned colors were used.
Sling use varied dramatically during this period, though most were seen to be of the 3-point type design, usually black in color, though like the stock pouches, were occasionally seen in other color variants. Near the latter part of this period (late 2006ish?), Blue Force Gear 2-point slings began to be seen occasionally in use on A4s.
Also, during this period, many of the standard 30rd magazines with field units were upgraded by the use of Magpul "anti-tilt" followers. Later (circa 2009), the military began procuring their own version of this follower for use in all their future magazine purchases.

US Army variants tended to use Aimpoint M68 red dot sights (Comp M2 earlier, or Comp M3.. maybe Comp M4 for very late models? - I'm not sure exactly when the Comp M4 & M4s models actually started making the rounds)
Us Army variants were also noted to still be using either US M7 or M9 bayonets.

Marine Corps variants usually were noted to be using a Trijicon scope (TA01NSN & TA31-F? models earlier, & TA31RCOA4 models later)
The original TA51 mounts on these optics were at first shipped with knobs facing toward the left side of the weapon. Later this was changed to have the knobs of the TA51 mount face toward the right side. (or was it the other way around?...I can't recall now.)
The Marines started using the OKC3S bayonet with this rifle from @ 2003 onward.

Modern Era M16A4s (Circa 2011(ish) to Present)

These M16A4s are noted by their use of the following:

Their A2 pistol grips have a distinctive "shelf-like" tapering of the bottom "bump" of the grip, as well as a squared-off taper to the top side profile of the grip. Furthermore, these grips tend to be lighter black in color, nearing closer to a "grey-scale" than "black" and have a flat, non-reflective surface finish.
They use one of 3 different types of safeties - The first being like the older format (War Years) safety except that it is reversible for use with South-Paws, the second is an ambidextrous safety that has a shortened lever on the non-dominant (non-thumb) side, and the 3rd is non-ambidextrous safety though the "lever" extends from the center of the safety rather than from the edge of the safety as those of the previous eras.
The trap doors of the A2 stock assemblies, while still using metal retaining latches, are occasionally found to have plastic door bodies rather than the metal (aluminum) bodies of previous eras. (Though I'm not sure if this is an actual change to the A4 specification, or rather some type of screw-up in the supply chain.)
These rifles are delivered with either Matech or KAC rear sights equipped, rather than with detachable carry handles.
They are often seen equipped with either black or coyote colored Blue Force Gear NSN Vickers 2-point slings & mounts, though M1 slings are occasionally seen in use for "parade" or "training" purposes/exercises.
These rifles are almost exclusively used with either the Trijicon TA31RCOA4 scope (for the US Marines), or the Aimpoint M68 (COMP M4 & M4S) red dot sights (for the US Army).
The TA51 mounts used with the Trijicon scopes were, or rather ...are, commonly replaced with LaRue Tactical quick release lever mounts.
As of this posting, I believe there are no longer any A4s that are still equipped with standard A2 hand guards. They should all be equipped with KAC M5 drop-in rails. (That I know of)
Right around this time frame (2010ish), LED lighting began to really make itself known in the weapon light industry, and as such - M16A4s began to be seen with Surefire M952V LED/Infrared convertible weapon lights, or Surefire M600v? LED "Scout" weapon lights in use. (Not sure of the actual Scout model number, though I believe it was in the 600-type series)

Because of the often rapid, constantly changing nature of the use & development of night vision accessories & laser sighting equipment, I have purposefully not touched upon their use with the M16A4 in this posting, and shall leave that to the AR15 community's more knowledgeable fellows to expound upon.

On a side note:
Throughout the last two eras (War Years & Modern), there have been a number of "Field Modifications" (some "approved" & others ...not-so-much) to the M16A4 weapon system. One such modification, has been the replacement of the Standard A2 stock assembly with a collapsible one such as the Lewis Machine & Tool Company (or also B5 Systems) SOPMOD Stock, or the Veltor "A5" stock assembly. While these "Mods" may have been approved for temporary "fielded" use, while so modified, these weapons are generally no longer considered to be classed among other "M16A4s", but rather among the status of "Special Weapons" or unofficially as "M16A5s". Because these weapons (as modified) no longer fit either the physical description or technical specifications of that of an M16A4, clones which are based around these modifications are generally not considered to be among M16A4 "clones".

Maybe later I will go back through this adding a few relevant pictures, but I think this is about the best I can come up with at present, and hopefully it will be enough to help you to sort things out...

Mike (FlDiveCop71)

ETA: This write up, while general in nature, primarily refers to completed M16A4 weapons' configurations as they were delivered to the US military @ the timeframes mentioned, and should not be construed as absolutes as to actual configurations that may be found in the field, either presently or at the aforementioned time periods. While the military supply system may continue to provide newly manufactured components built to outdated specifications, these items are primarily intended & supplied as "replacement" components for older weapons, rather than as revisionary components for newly issued M16A4s. Though some mention is made as to various options & accessories used in association with the M16A4 throughout these periods, please note that these comments are by no means the end-all / be-all of what was either available for use, or actually issued to the troops, but rather that which has been either known personally, or shown through reliable sources to have been used @ these periods. ...FDC71.
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 3:22:39 AM EDT
[#1]
The Acog looks better without the killflash is what I meant, and the RCO A4 is said to be calibrated for the 20 inch barrel.

Either way,  will post a pic when it gets here.
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 10:15:23 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Shagohod:
The Acog looks better without the killflash is what I meant, and the RCO A4 is said to be calibrated for the 20 inch barrel.

Either way,  will post a pic when it gets here.
View Quote
Ahhh - that makes sense.
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 1:57:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FlDiveCop71] [#3]
So, for the last couple of weeks, I have been searching for a NOS front side sling swivel assembly for one of my A4 builds without much success, and eventually I decided to back order one through Brownell's. After about a week's wait they shipped it out to me, and suffice it to say - I was thoroughly pleased with the result - turned out to be a NOS (from @ Nov of 2013) Colt front side sling mount assembly. While @$47 apiece it was a little more expensive than I would like, but still it was worth it being a sealed new-in-wrap (old stock) item, so I called up Brownell's to see about putting another on back order only to find out that when I placed my last back order, they apparently went & ordered @ 30 of them at that time and thus, at the time I called them yesterday, they still had 28 of them left. To purchase, go to:
(www).brownells.com/shooting-accessories/slings-sling-swivels/tactical-sling-mounts/tactical-sling-mount-front-sku160000352-4521-10466.aspx

These would be appropriate for a mid-to-late era M16A4 clone build as they are the type that are only able to be used with a .750 barrel profile, unlike the earlier ones which could be used with either an M16A1 or A2/A4 profile. Typically these mounts were used in conjunction with an M203 grenade launcher, but there are several photos circulating around which also show these side sling adapters in use on non-M203 equipped M16A4s as well. These side sling mounts also work well as a replacement to the BFG fixed loop sling mount typically used with BFG's NSN Vikers sling by providing a more narrow profile (vertically) than using the BFG sling mount, which can help when attempting to mount multiple rifles in a rack system such as that of an M12 rifle rack.

Pics...
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

For me, it's all the little details like these that can make the difference between an OK build, and a Great one.
FlDiveCop71
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 3:54:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By FlDiveCop71:
So, for the last couple of weeks, I have been searching for a NOS front side sling swivel assembly for one of my A4 builds without much success, and eventually I decided to back order one through Brownell's. After about a week's wait they shipped it out to me, and suffice it to say - I was thoroughly pleased with the result - turned out to be a NOS (from @ Nov of 2013) Colt front side sling mount assembly. While @$47 apiece it was a little more expensive than I would like, but still it was worth it being a sealed new old stock (in wrap) item, so I called up Brownell's to see about putting another on back order only to find out that when I placed my last back order, they apparently went & ordered @ 30 of them at that time and thus, at the time I called them yesterday, they still had 28 of them left.

These would be appropriate for a mid-to-late era M16A4 clone build as they are the type that are only able to be used with a .750 barrel profile, unlike the earlier ones which could be used with either an M16A1 or A2/A4 profile. Typically these mounts were used in conjunction with an M203 grenade launcher, but there are several photos circulating around which also show these side sling adapters in use on non-M203 equipped M16A4s as well. These side sling mounts also work well as a replacement to the BFG fixed loop sling mount typically used with BFG's NSN Vikers sling by providing a more narrow profile (vertically) than using the BFG sling mount, which can help when attempting to mount multiple rifles in a rack system such as that of an M12 rifle rack.

Pics...
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/115687/IMAG0911-223089.JPGhttps://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/115687/IMAG0914-223090.JPG

For me, it's all the little details like these that can make the difference between an OK build, and a Great one.
FlDiveCop71
View Quote
I love those.Thanks for the heads up, going to get me one
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 6:00:27 PM EDT
[#5]
So, for the last couple of weeks, I have been searching for a NOS front side sling swivel assembly for one of my A4 builds without much success, and eventually I decided to back order one through Brownell's. After about a week's wait they shipped it out to me, and suffice it to say - I was thoroughly pleased with the result - turned out to be a NOS (from @ Nov of 2013) Colt front side sling mount assembly. While @$47 apiece it was a little more expensive than I would like, but still it was worth it being a sealed new old stock (in wrap) item, so I called up Brownell's to see about putting another on back order only to find out that when I placed my last back order, they apparently went & ordered @ 30 of them at that time and thus, at the time I called them yesterday, they still had 28 of them left.

Pics...
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/115687/IMAG0911-223089.JPGhttps://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/115687/IMAG0914-223090.JPG

FlDiveCop71
View Quote
Stupid Avantlink isn't working for me, but if anyone else is looking, search for 160000352 on Brownells site.
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 6:08:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FlDiveCop71] [#6]
Originally Posted By grondike:

Stupid Avantlink isn't working for me, but if anyone else is looking, search for 160000352 on Brownells site.
View Quote
ETA: copy the link below & remove the dashes from the "w-w-w" & it will work...

w-w-w.brownells.com/shooting-accessories/slings-sling-swivels/tactical-sling-mounts/tactical-sling-mount-front-sku160000352-4521-10466.aspx
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 7:29:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: C6H12O6] [#7]
My attempt at linking didn't work. Oh well. Pic thread.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 7:41:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ckopp636] [#8]
Put a few more rounds through it today. I must say, I like this rifle even more than I thought I would.
Link Posted: 6/6/2017 3:02:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By ckopp636:
Put a few more rounds through it today. I must say, I like this rifle even more than I thought I would.
View Quote
Agreed! just started this a4 build an im already loving the feel of the rifle.
Link Posted: 6/6/2017 8:55:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Thought I could like it with the NSN but I was fooling myself.
This thing needs an RCO

A4-Ish
by SoloDallas, on Flickr

A4-Ish
by SoloDallas, on Flickr
Link Posted: 6/6/2017 10:13:24 PM EDT
[#11]
What is your background there?  It makes a really good one!  Great pics of great gear.
Link Posted: 6/6/2017 11:08:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By JJREA:
What is your background there?  It makes a really good one!  Great pics of great gear.
View Quote
Thanks brah!

Cheap backyard stone slab 
Link Posted: 6/7/2017 4:33:18 AM EDT
[#13]

ETA: copy the link below & remove the dashes from the "w-w-w" & it will work...

w-w-w.brownells.com/shooting-accessories/slings-sling-swivels/tactical-sling-mounts/tactical-sling-mount-front-sku160000352-4521-10466.aspx
View Quote
In stock and on sale $41.65 shipped with code M6T. Thanks for heads up, like this set up on my Block 1 build. Was resigned to the CQD side mount til now.
Link Posted: 6/9/2017 9:41:34 AM EDT
[#14]
Just got my A4 kit from Palmetto.  Everything seems to be in great shape with a straight FSB.  Also, the barrel is marked with the FN logo, which makes me happy.  It is CHF, which I know isn't clone correct.  

Just got my used M5 RAS in the mail, too.  I have 3 full length rail panels.  What other panels do I need to have with the Knights foregrip?  Where should I get them?

Thanks guys!

Pics to come tonight.
Link Posted: 6/9/2017 11:32:07 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By purevl2:
Just got my A4 kit from Palmetto.  Everything seems to be in great shape with a straight FSB.  Also, the barrel is marked with the FN logo, which makes me happy.  It is CHF, which I know isn't clone correct.  

Just got my used M5 RAS in the mail, too.  I have 3 full length rail panels.  What other panels do I need to have with the Knights foregrip?  Where should I get them?

Thanks guys!

Pics to come tonight.
View Quote
Happy for you. My A4 is currently my new (happy) obsession - it's just such a great rifle and a great heritage descending directly from the A1.

Re:panels and other accessories, eGay might be a place for you to check. 
Tons of used stuff in great condition (got most of my KAC gear there over the years).

The other panels you want are the ones you need to complete coverage of your M5.
I'll count the number of the ribs I have on mine to determine which is full length and which is (probably) 3/4th length - those might be the ones you still need to get.
Link Posted: 6/9/2017 11:54:54 AM EDT
[Last Edit: FlDiveCop71] [#16]
Thanks guys!
Pics to come tonight.
View Quote
As for the CHF barrel, I wouldn't sweat it being non-clone. Personally, I prefer my A4 clones to have these barrels as they are certainly more durable than the actual standard M16A4 barrels which, while also made by FN, are not CHF. I also find them to be slightly more accurate than the standard FN chrome-lined barrels. Not sure why that is. Maybe the hammer forging process work-hardens the steel better or more evenly - I don't know, but all my A4 clones that use the FN CHF barrels (4 currently) consistently shoot slightly better than the ones that have standard barrels. In any event, the only somewhat noticeable outward difference is the lack of relief cut on the CHF barrels, which if you really wanted to be a perfectionist about it, I suppose you could always send it off to ADCO or some other barrel-works & have the slight relief cut/profile added. Personally, I wouldn't worry about it.

As for the M5 panels, here is what an entire standard M5 Mil-Pack contains...
Attachment Attached File

(Click on the pic to see a larger version.)

Hope this helps you.
FlDiveCop71
Link Posted: 6/9/2017 11:58:54 AM EDT
[#17]
Nice!  Thanks for the replies guys.

Anyone have a pic of the relief cuts?
Link Posted: 6/9/2017 12:03:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FlDiveCop71] [#18]
Nice!  Thanks for the replies guys.

Anyone have a pic of the relief cuts?
View Quote
It's the front most inch or so of the barrel just behind the flash suppressor. You can see it on SoloDallas's & C6H12O6's pics above.
The original purpose of the relief cut/profile was for clearance when mounting certain muzzle devices & suppressors on the A2 & A4.
Link Posted: 6/9/2017 12:10:47 PM EDT
[#19]
A2 stock that came with the Palmetto kit has a plastic door, but metal latch.  Also, there's an oil stain by the sling loop.  Shoujld I try to fix it by cleaning it, or adding more oil?
Link Posted: 6/9/2017 12:13:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FlDiveCop71] [#20]
A2 stock that came with the Palmetto kit has a plastic door, but metal latch.  Also, there's an oil stain by the sling loop.  Shoujld I try to fix it by cleaning it, or adding more oil?
View Quote
You could swap out the door with a metal one if it bothers you. As for the oil, just wipe down the entire stock body with some CLP, and then with a dry rag/paper-towel. Let it sit for a day or so & all will be slightly darker-looking & evened out.

M16A4 Fun Fact:
Before being shipped out originally from the factory to their respective services, M16A4s were first completely soaked (sprayed down) with preservative oil...
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/9/2017 2:43:16 PM EDT
[#21]
My RAS and Acog came in yesterday, got around to putting them on today.

Still got more to get but I'm ready to shoot it with the Acog.
Link Posted: 6/9/2017 3:01:51 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By Shagohod:
My RAS and Acog came in yesterday, got around to putting them on today.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/452515/20170609-143539-226679.jpg

Still got more to get but I'm ready to shoot it with the Acog.
View Quote
Pretty!
Link Posted: 6/9/2017 3:42:16 PM EDT
[#23]
I thought my A2 buttstock (colt) on my A2 has a plastic door.  I'll have to double check that.
Link Posted: 6/9/2017 6:16:14 PM EDT
[#24]
So, after looking back on all my various A4 cloning-related endeavors, I've come to the conclusion that I think it's just about time for me to take my M16A4 cloning efforts to ...an entirely whole new dimension. (at least to me)

3 raw 80% receiver forgings should make for a good place to start...
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/9/2017 6:23:30 PM EDT
[#25]
So, after looking back on all my various A4 cloning-related endeavors, I've come to the conclusion that I think it's just about time for me to take my M16A4 cloning efforts to ...an entirely whole new dimension. (at least to me)

3 raw 80% receiver forgings should make for a good place to start...
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/115687/IMAG0919-226805.JPG
View Quote
Do it.

Throw away all those lowers with wrong or flashy logos and/or roll marks and start a-fresh.

I just did that - feels better. 
I truly can't stand out of place logos or roll marks anymore. 
Better nothing (blank) in fact than wrong, for me.
Link Posted: 6/9/2017 8:22:45 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By SoloDallas:
Throw away all those lowers with wrong or flashy logos and/or roll marks and start a-fresh.
View Quote
I don't know. There are times/builds that I've done where even though some of the details weren't perfect or even accurate, I still wouldn't go back & redo or change them because the overall build itself worked out really well (receiver parts fit together perfectly with each other, or the build shot/functioned/performed exceptionally well). Take my dedicated .22lr A4 build for instance... Sure the DPMS lower, the long rifle caliber, & even the CMMG nitrated barrel isn't really correct for an A4 clone - the blem upper receiver though, being milled with the long axis slightly off center & thus incapable of being used for 5.56 caliber (because a 5.56 carrier would impact against the extension tube & rear receiver ring), works perfectly in conjunction with a .22lr bolt & barrel assembly while locking up perfectly with the DPMS lower & the entire thing (though technically not A4-clone-perfect) still shoots like a dream, while having about as close an acceptable A4 appearance as practical, so I have no problem with the labeling or markings not being spot-on. It still makes for an outstanding A4 trainer rifle.

With these 3 eighty-percent receivers, I plan on making entirely new (& in the case of two of them - entirely accurate) A4 clone-builds. The 3rd receiver I intend to only include the "safe/semi/burst" markings on both sides and nothing else (no manufacturer, model, caliber, or even serial info) so as to be a true "Ghost Gun" such as the saying goes, because ...2nd Amendment reasons... and clonage be damned.
Link Posted: 6/10/2017 12:12:32 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Solo_] [#27]

I don't know. There are times/builds that I've done where even though some of the details weren't perfect or even accurate, I still wouldn't go back & redo or change them because the overall build itself worked out really well (receiver parts fit together perfectly with each other, or the build shot/functioned/performed exceptionally well). Take my dedicated .22lr A4 build for instance... Sure the DPMS lower, the long rifle caliber, & even the CMMG nitrated barrel isn't really correct for an A4 clone - the blem upper receiver though, being milled with the long axis slightly off center & thus incapable of being used for 5.56 caliber (because a 5.56 carrier would impact against the extension tube & rear receiver ring), works perfectly in conjunction with a .22lr bolt & barrel assembly while locking up perfectly with the DPMS lower & the entire thing (though technically not A4-clone-perfect) still shoots like a dream, while having about as close an acceptable A4 appearance as practical, so I have no problem with the labeling or markings not being spot-on. It still makes for an outstanding A4 trainer rifle.

With these 3 eighty-percent receivers, I plan on making entirely new (& in the case of two of them - entirely accurate) A4 clone-builds. The 3rd receiver I intend to only include the "safe/semi/burst" markings on both sides and nothing else (no manufacturer, model, caliber, or even serial info) so as to be a true "Ghost Gun" such as the saying goes, because ...2nd Amendment reasons... and clonage be damned.
View Quote
I hear you - and understand you!
Some of my most favorite guns were never perfect - some used or even abused.
So it's not that that I am looking for (perfection, it being new etc.)

It's just me - over time some more modern logos (Spikes Lowers, to make you an example) completely disgusted me when used for classic lowers.
Mistake was mine to begin with (you can see safety switch pictograms for example, in both my former A2 and A4 'clones').

After a while, those logos and/or roll marks is all I tended to look at and bothered the hell out of me - that's why I was telling you.

Now I really care about those - while for example, I wouldn't still care too much about color, color match, type of barrel and even some functional details. 

Carry on and enjoy your builds!
Link Posted: 6/10/2017 6:20:46 AM EDT
[#28]
Here's the final.  All Palmetto State Armory.  Feels awesome!  Probably going to buy/build another A4 in a different configuration down the road.

Link Posted: 6/10/2017 9:50:32 AM EDT
[Last Edit: grondike] [#29]
I hear you - and understand you!
Some of my most favorite guns were never perfect - some used or even abused.
So it's not that that I am looking for (perfection, it being new etc.)

It's just me - over time some more modern logos (Spikes Lowers, to make you an example) completely disgusted me when used for classic lowers.
Mistake was mine to begin with (you can see safety switch pictograms for example, in both my former A2 and A4 'clones').

After a while, those logos and/or roll marks is all I tended to look at and bothered the hell out of me - that's why I was telling you.

Now I really care about those - while for example, I wouldn't still care too much about color, color match, type of barrel and even some functional details. 

Carry on and enjoy your builds!
View Quote
Good post. My A4 (and a my A2) are built on LRB lowers, simply because I like to see something on the mag well and theirs has the least objectionable marking IMO. LRB also has a cage code (4WZ76) so I was able to get a couple of 'correct' UID stickers for them.

I have some 80% lowers and plan to send them out for appropriate clone markings and finish them one of these days, but the LRB will do for now.

Here's a not very good pic of my A4 lower.

Link Posted: 6/10/2017 10:30:24 AM EDT
[Last Edit: purevl2] [#30]
So, for the last couple of weeks, I have been searching for a NOS front side sling swivel assembly for one of my A4 builds without much success, and eventually I decided to back order one through Brownell's. After about a week's wait they shipped it out to me, and suffice it to say - I was thoroughly pleased with the result - turned out to be a NOS (from @ Nov of 2013) Colt front side sling mount assembly. While @$47 apiece it was a little more expensive than I would like, but still it was worth it being a sealed new-in-wrap (old stock) item, so I called up Brownell's to see about putting another on back order only to find out that when I placed my last back order, they apparently went & ordered @ 30 of them at that time and thus, at the time I called them yesterday, they still had 28 of them left. To purchase, go to:
(www).brownells.com/shooting-accessories/slings-sling-swivels/tactical-sling-mounts/tactical-sling-mount-front-sku160000352-4521-10466.aspx

Pics...
Attachment Attached File

FlDiveCop71
View Quote
How involved is the install on these?

Also, what's the closest thing to the Colt Ambi Safety you can get to be correct as a clone?
Link Posted: 6/10/2017 10:55:02 AM EDT
[Last Edit: FlDiveCop71] [#31]
How involved is the install on these? (Side Sling Adapters)
Also, what's the closest thing to the Colt Ambi Safety you can get to be correct as a clone?
View Quote
It's really pretty simple actually. Hardest part is installing the sling swivel rivet itself, but even that isn't all that bad. I usually just put a drop of oil in the rivet's split-end; rest a BB on top of that; and then use a pair of channel locks to split & crush the rivet into place. Some use a vise to simply crush the rivet into place. Either way works. Maybe use a little cardboard between the jaws to prevent marring the surfaces. The rest of the install is easier. You can even use the same channel locks to install the roll pins into the lock bar. Only details to pay close attention to are that the sling swivel rivet's head is on the top surface once mounted, and that the sling swivel can lay flat (forward as per TMs) once mounted... so that you can remove any rail panels by laying the sling swivel itself flat against the mounting base.

Not sure what you're asking in regards to the ambi selector. If you mean replacing the colt ambi selector with another brand of ambi selector, then go with an FN one (though these are somewhat difficult to obtain as individual parts). If you mean repacing the Colt ambi with a non-ambi selector then there are a couple of options:

Type 1 Safety Selector - Is a non-ambidextrous selector with a lever/paw on the left side that extends only to the edge of the selector base, with a "Tick" or divot mark on the right side to indicate the mode of operation. These safeties can vary in color from light gray to midnight black (earlier ones being more grey - later ones more black). DPMS, White Oak Armory, & CMT (among other brands) make these types of safeties.

Type 2 Safety Selector - Is like above except the lever/paw extends to the center of the safeties' base rather than only to the edge of it, and they tend to be more black in color (the more recently manufactured they are). Colt tends to make these. PSA offers these, though occasionally they have the type ones instead.

These are the Semi-auto versions, the military full-auto versions are similar (have the same outward appearance)
Attachment Attached File

Type 3 & 4 Safety selectors - Like the type 1 & 2 except they are reversed-design (non-ambidextrous but designed for left-hand use) and otherwise following the same type 1 & 2 features. These are generally rare safeties. Most I have seen are full auto type rather than semi-auto ones. Specialized Armament used to offer these. don't know if they still do or not.

Hope this helps you
FlDiveCop71
Link Posted: 6/10/2017 5:03:07 PM EDT
[#32]
Grabagun has 2 Colts left here.  $958 shipped ain't bad at all.

They had 3, but... you know...
Link Posted: 6/10/2017 5:23:44 PM EDT
[#33]

View Quote
I don't know about the FN ones that FL Dive Cop mentions above, but here are some I have....

Colt

Attachment Attached File

In this next image you may be able to make out the CAGE code 13629 marked on the small lever. I hadn't noticed but the threading is messed up on the bolt. There's a flat spot. Maybe it's meant to be like that but the other one I have is installed on my M4A1 clone.

Attachment Attached File

The next ones are Specialized Armament Warehouse (left) and PSA (right)

Attachment Attached File

My impressions:

- the Colt one I have installed is super gritty
- the SAW one was also gritty when I used it
- PSA is super smooth
- short lever only option on Colt isn't my preference
- all have at least 1MM of space between the side of the lower and the side of the selector
- Colt was $40 from the vendor whose name shall not be mentioned
- SAW was of course more than the Colt because SAW
- PSA was $9.95 on sale

Wish I could get more of the PSA versions but they never seem to have them in stock.

I'd put the PSA in one of my A4 clones but the ambi selectors make the rifle not fit in an M12 weapons rack.

On a side note, PSA Classic LPKs used to include a Type 2 'S' marked selector like Dive Cop shows above. Unfortunately the last (2) I've gotten have had the Type 1 and appear of inferior quality. Sucks 'cause the PSA Classic LPKs seemed to be of really good quality.
Link Posted: 6/11/2017 8:04:04 AM EDT
[Last Edit: amediocreshooter] [#34]
Oh cool! A Clone thread Nice to meet people weird like me!

BCM 20" Upper Assembly replaced with an Aero Precision upper (Because that laser etched BCM logo will not come off)
Colt Lower
ATPIAL-C
OKC Bayonet
KAC M5 RAS
Trijicon TA31RCOA4 ACOG
USGI 3 Point Sling

Side by side with its Chinese Polytech AK counterpart.

Link Posted: 6/11/2017 9:28:37 AM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By amediocreshooter:
Oh cool! A Clone thread Nice to meet people weird like me!

BCM 20" Upper Assembly replaced with an Aero Precision upper (Because that laser etched BCM logo will not come off)
Colt Lower
ATPIAL-C
OKC Bayonet
KAC M5 RAS
Trijicon TA31RCOA4 ACOG
USGI 3 Point Sling

Side by side with its Chinese Polytech AK counterpart.

http://i.imgur.com/W01pBTh.jpg
View Quote
Superb.
Link Posted: 6/11/2017 10:50:21 AM EDT
[#36]
Anyone have a lead on the bayonets?
Link Posted: 6/11/2017 10:59:50 AM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By cone256:
Anyone have a lead on the bayonets?
View Quote
eGay, search string "USMC bayonet" - several issued - used - up now.
Link Posted: 6/12/2017 7:14:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FlDiveCop71] [#38]
How it started out... over nine years ago (It was all soo much simpler then):

This is the base for my M16A4 Clone Build. It's nothing special right now - just a Bushmaster XM15E2S with a 1 in 7" twist gov profile barrel.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

I look forward to building her up though... FlDiveCop71

What I had thought & planned at the time...
My plans include adding (or changing) the following items on my A4 Build:

Aluminum Trigger Guard Assembly (to replace the current plastic one) Done.
KAC M5 RAS w/rail covers Done. (M5 Mil Pack)
NSN ACOG w/Kill-flash Done.
Either a KAC or Tango Down VFG Done. (KAC)
Buttstock Mag Pouch Done. (went with Eagle's M-16SP-OD)
3-Point type sling Done. (went with Eagle's TAS-01-OD)
MATECH Rear BUIS Done.
Surefire Weaponlight w/IR Filter Done.
ITT AN/PVS-14D
and lastly...(if possible) a DBAL-I2 Laser Designator/Sight Done. (Went with a AN/PEQ-2A instead)

I'm sure it will be at least a year before I get it anywhere near being complete, and by then I'm sure there will be something else out there to be had, but oh well...That's life.
I do what I can...

Edited for progress...

Just over nine years later, it's still not quite finished; though now, I think the end is actually within sight. Only one or two minor details (rack numbers, ect.) and one huge obstacle (the PVS-14D) remain, though I'm hoping to hurdle the -14 by this X-mas...  

Father's Day came early for me this year, cause Daddy needed a new ...PEQ-2...
Attachment Attached File

The other side stuffs...
Attachment Attached File

One of the nicer early TA31RCO-A4 details...
Attachment Attached File

Daddy is once again... one happy ass FlDiveCop71.
Attachment Attached File

Details that may or may not be apparent in the above photos (contents):

M16A4 Technical Maintenance Manual (2008)
M16A4 Operator's Manual (2010)
USMC Annual Rifle Training Data Book (2012)
TA31RCO-A4 Manual (2007)
AN/PEQ-2A/B Manual (2005)
AN/PEQ-2A/B laminated Quick Reference Users Data Card
Target Designator Pattern Generators for AN/PEQ-2A

User's manuals / Instructions / care & maintenance data sheets for (inside the Rifle Training Databook):
Eagle Industries Tas-1 Sling & Stock Pouch
Surefire M951 & Filter Assembly
KAC M5 Rail Adapter System (RAS)
Matech Rear Sight Assembly

Other Items:
1st contract run OKC3S Bayonet & Sheath
Complete Laser Borelight System LBS-300C (PEMM-1), w/case & accessories
Case for AN/PEQ-2A (Mil-Pak, complete) w/accessories
Case for TA31RCO-A4 ACOG (Mil-Pak, Complete) w/accessories (Scopecoat, CH mount, lenspen, ect.)
Case for KAC M5 RAS (Mil-pak, complete) contains unused cover panels.

So close to getting this one all done I think...
FlDiveCop71
Link Posted: 6/12/2017 7:28:54 PM EDT
[#39]
HAWT! 
Link Posted: 6/12/2017 9:54:55 PM EDT
[#40]
How it started out... over nine years ago (It was all soo much simpler then):

This is the base for my M16A4 Clone Build. It's nothing special right now - just a Bushmaster XM15E2S with a 1 in 7" twist gov profile barrel.
http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u235/FLDiveCop71/MYA4START1b.jpg
http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u235/FLDiveCop71/BarrelMark1.jpg
I look forward to building her up though... FlDiveCop71

What I had thought & planned at the time...
My plans include adding (or changing) the following items on my A4 Build:

Aluminum Trigger Guard Assembly (to replace the current plastic one) Done.
KAC M5 RAS w/rail covers Done. (M5 Mil Pack)
NSN ACOG w/Kill-flash Done.
Either a KAC or Tango Down VFG Done. (KAC)
Buttstock Mag Pouch Done (went with Eagle's M-16SP-OD)
3-Point type sling Done (went with Eagle's TAS-01-OD)
MATECH Rear BUIS Done.
Surefire Weaponlight w/IR Filter Done.
ITT AN/PVS-14D
and lastly...(if possible) a DBAL-I2 Laser Designator/Sight Done. (Went with a AN/PEQ-2A instead)

I'm sure it will be at least a year before I get it anywhere near being complete, and by then I'm sure there will be something else out there to be had, but oh well...That's life.
I do what I can...

Edited for progress...

Just over nine years later, it's still not quite finished; though now, I think the end is actually within sight. Only one or two minor details (rack numbers, ect.) and one huge obstacle (the PVS-14D) remain, though I'm hoping to hurdle the -14 by this X-mas...  

Father's Day came early for me this year, cause Daddy needed a new ...PEQ-2...
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/115687/IMAG0950b-229268.JPG
The other side stuffs...
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/115687/IMAG0962-229269.JPG
One of the nicer early TA31RCO-A4 details...
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/115687/IMAG0977-229272.JPG
Daddy is once again... one happy ass FlDiveCop71.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/115687/IMAG0979-229273.JPG

Details that may or may not be apparent in the above photos (contents):

M16A4 Technical Maintenance Manual (2008)
M16A4 Operator's Manual (2010)
USMC Annual Rifle Training Data Book (2012)
TA31RCO-A4 Manual (2007)
AN/PEQ-2A/B Manual (2005)
AN/PEQ-2A/B laminated Quick Reference Users Data Card
Target Designator Pattern Generators for AN/PEQ-2A

User's manuals / Instructions / care & maintenance data sheets for (inside the Rifle Training Databook):
Eagle Industries Tas-1 Sling & Stock Pouch
Surefire M951 & Filter Assembly
KAC M5 Rail Adapter System (RAS)
Matech Rear Sight Assembly

Other Items:
1st contract run OKC3S Bayonet & Sheath
Complete Laser Borelight System LBS-300C (PEMM-1), w/case & accessories
Case for AN/PEQ-2A (Mil-Pak, complete) w/accessories
Case for TA31RCO-A4 ACOG (Mil-Pak, Complete) w/accessories (Scopecoat, CH mount, lenspen, ect.)
Case for KAC M5 RAS (Mil-pak, complete) contains unused cover panels.

So close to getting this one all done I think...
FlDiveCop71
View Quote
Put it all in a M1950 weapons case!

CD
Link Posted: 6/12/2017 11:58:56 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By Combat_Diver:
CD
View Quote
Actually, I'm waiting on a set of custom precut foam inserts for one of my Pelican 1750s to use as a transport case for it,

though I have been considering getting an M1950 for my brother to use with his M1A.
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 12:14:08 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Solo_] [#42]
Originally Posted By Combat_Diver:

CD
View Quote
Damn you. Bought one 

Link Posted: 6/13/2017 12:07:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Solo_] [#43]
Question: many of us (including me) put the PEQ (2 or later) on the sides as opposed to on top.
Why is that done? Better visibility? 

I have done it myself years ago with my first A4 clone (which happened to be a neutered Colt in Shitaly). The reason why I had done it - having seen it on some actual pictures - was because in reality I could detach it more quickly when I didn't want to have it installed. 

(older A4 clone with PEQ shown)

Hoorah
by SoloDallas, on Flickr
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 12:37:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FlDiveCop71] [#44]
Question: many of us (including me) put the PEQ (2 or later) on the sides as opposed to on top.
Why is that done? Better visibility
I have done it myself years ago with my first A4 clone (which happened to be a neutered Colt in Shitaly). The reason why I had done it - having seen it on some actual pictures - was because in reality I could detach it more quickly when I didn't want to have it installed. 
https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2806/13776449985_4d8ab6cdb9_h.jpg
Hoorah
by SoloDallas, on Flickr
View Quote
It mostly has to do with how you use the A4 Acog, than it does with the PEQ itself. As I'm sure you know, usually when looking through an Acog, the front sight base appears as a small ghosted image in the sight picture. When a PEQ is mounted up top, the PEQ is also ghosted in the sight picture, but tends to usually cover the entire bottom 1/3 or so as a ghosted (hazy) image, rather than just the small ghosting of just the front sight base. Now, none of this presents much of a problem when shooting targets that are far away, or stationary & looking through the scope... The problem develops when attempting to use the "both eyes open" close-quarters concept on an Acog. Having the PEQ mounted on top tends to screw with the brain's ability to quickly acquire targets (acting somewhat like a vertical wall blocking the viewing area of the non-scoped eye), where-as having the PEQ mounted on either side face of the rail acts more as a visual "floor" surface than that of a wall. And when mounting a PEQ-16A/B, trust me - if you're using the both eyes open concept - don't even think about using the top rail surface to mount it. The PEQ-15s with their rounded lines are somewhat smaller than the PEQ-2 or PEQ-16s, and subsequently don't block the viewing area as much, so it's a toss-up as to where you can or should mount them.

FlDiveCop71
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 4:53:28 PM EDT
[#45]
Why is that done? Better visibility? 

https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2806/13776449985_4d8ab6cdb9_h.jpg
Hoorah
by SoloDallas, on Flickr
View Quote
We always put them on the top. I think it had more to do with that's how we did it with the A2 barrel mounts that attached through the holes in the handguard.

Most guys also liked their lights on the starboard side so it wouldn't hit them if their hands were doing something else.
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 4:54:59 PM EDT
[#46]
Eagle M16 sling

These look familiar. I don't think we were issued these but I think a lot of guys used them.
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 5:37:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FlDiveCop71] [#47]
Originally Posted By 03RN:
We always put them on the top. I think it had more to do with that's how we did it with the A2 barrel mounts that attached through the holes in the handguard.
A lot of guys had them on top so they'd fit in an M12 Rifle rack better too, but that's also how a lot of the PEQ-2s ended up with busted off lens cap retainer buttons & adjuster knob covers. (From the locking bars repeatedly knocking into them.)

Most guys also liked their lights on the starboard side so it wouldn't hit them if their hands were doing something else.
It's also a lot easier to hit the tail cap switch when using a vertical grip if the light mounted on the right hand side. Only time I mount them on the port side (as pictured earlier) is if I'm using a remote switch & something more valuable is mounted on the right side.
View Quote
My comments in blue above.
FlDiveCop71
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 6:27:39 PM EDT
[#48]
I put mine on the side because that's where it was on it in Iraq and I wanted a deployment replica.
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 7:02:38 PM EDT
[#49]
Superb knowledge. Now I know as well: thanks all
Link Posted: 6/14/2017 9:41:54 AM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By C6H12O6:

I don't know about the FN ones that FL Dive Cop mentions above, but here are some I have....

Colt

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/123535/IMG-4932-227546.JPG

In this next image you may be able to make out the CAGE code 13629 marked on the small lever. I hadn't noticed but the threading is messed up on the bolt. There's a flat spot. Maybe it's meant to be like that but the other one I have is installed on my M4A1 clone.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/123535/IMG-4933-227547.JPG

The next ones are Specialized Armament Warehouse (left) and PSA (right)

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/123535/IMG-4934-227548.JPG

My impressions:

- the Colt one I have installed is super gritty
- the SAW one was also gritty when I used it
- PSA is super smooth
- short lever only option on Colt isn't my preference
- all have at least 1MM of space between the side of the lower and the side of the selector
- Colt was $40 from the vendor whose name shall not be mentioned
- SAW was of course more than the Colt because SAW
- PSA was $9.95 on sale

Wish I could get more of the PSA versions but they never seem to have them in stock.

I'd put the PSA in one of my A4 clones but the ambi selectors make the rifle not fit in an M12 weapons rack.

On a side note, PSA Classic LPKs used to include a Type 2 'S' marked selector like Dive Cop shows above. Unfortunately the last (2) I've gotten have had the Type 1 and appear of inferior quality. Sucks 'cause the PSA Classic LPKs seemed to be of really good quality.
View Quote
Thank you for this!  I signed up for the PSA safety ($20 not on sale) and they popped back in stock overnight.  I picked up 3 of them for $20 each.  

I suspect they're FN, based on their proximity to FN.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 145
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top