User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 145
Posted: 8/4/2007 2:38:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ar_mcadams]
" />

.......................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

[Jump To Reply]Originally Posted By BB:
the OP should contain what makes a correct AR15A4 M16A4 clone like the cool kid clone threads.

One could probably write a fair sized book on all the changes that have been made to the M16A4 as a weapon system over time, so you can understand that it's somewhat difficult to do a write up to the effect of: "This is what constitutes an M16A4 clone..."

I sure someone will be along shortly to either refute or amend some of this, as I'm far from what I would consider to be a subject matter expert on it all, though I'll give it a try...

In regards to the M16A4, I generally view the weapon as having 3 distinct eras: "Early A4s", "The War Years" (to include US Army & Marine Corps variants), & "Modern Era A4s".

Early 'A4s...(July '97 - Sep '99)

Officially, the M16A4 was adopted on July 29th, 1997, to replace the M16A2 as the standard-issue rifle for both the U.S Army & the US Marine Corps. While there were prototypes rifles (XM16A2E4s) in use on dates before July of '97, their features (grey anodizing or such) are not generally considered when discussing "Early A4" clones.

Early M16A4s are noted by their use of:

M16A2 barrel assemblies (having rifle feed ramped barrel extensions & fixed carry-handle height front sight bases)
Non-"M" or "M4" marked flat-top upper receivers (these early A4 upper receivers did NOT have M4 Feed ramps)
They used peel-washers to time their flash suppressors during most of this period.
Most were delivered to their respective services equipped with standard ("shiny-surfaced") A2 hand guards.
They were delivered with standard detachable carry handle rear sights.
They all used metal trap doors in their A2 stock end plates.
Their safety selectors, while having a "tick" to indicate the mode of operation, were only single-sided (no ambidextrous safeties were in use) & the "lever" itself extended from the edge of the safety rather than from the middle as currently issued ones do.
Their A2 pistol grips also tended to be of a "shinier" black material & the bottom forward "bump" was not as pronounced as currently issued ones (it incorporated a smoother transition to the tip).
While the Parkerizing of the various steel components (Components like the barrel, hand guard retainer cap, flash suppressor, forward assist, rear sights on the detachable carry handle, ect.) were more "grey" in color than they were "black", the upper & lower receivers after the adoption date were anodized to a Type II (black) hard-coat specification. (Someone more knowledgeable than me may know if there were ever actually any "M16A4"s with "grey" receivers, though I know of none that were officially labeled as such.)
Early A4s were known to have used either the US M7, or US M9 bayonet (with early straight tube-style grip).
Sling-use varied between: standard M1-style sling or black A2 "silent" sling, though by sometime @ early '98?, various 3-point slings started showing up in use.
As for side-sling swivels, I'm not certain if it was only a Colt thing or what, but seems like some rifles had them, and others didn't. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable will chime in on this.

(Starting @ Oct '98? - early '99?)
A4s started showing up either equipped with, or were modified by the addition of, a KAC M5 Rail Adapter System (RAS).
These early drop-in rails tended to be more "purple" than "black" in color.

(For a short time between Oct '99 to @ early 2003(ish?))
ARMS #59M SIR systems would be seen to be installed on select units' M16A4s.

What I like to call...
"The War Years"...doesn't have so much to do with any particular "war" per se, but is basically from @ 2000 - 2010(ish)

These M16A4s are noted by their use of:

True A4 barrel assemblies having "M4" feed ramped barrel extensions & "F"-marked (detachable carry handle height) front sight bases.
Flat top "M" or "M4" marked upper receivers incorporating "M4" feed ramps.
They used "crush" washers to time their flash suppressors.
Their A2 pistol grips, while still incorporating the earlier tapering of the bottom "bump", were made of a notably less-shiny material.
The steel components (barrel, HG end caps, triggers, ect.) began having more of a true "black" coloring due to changes made in the surface-treatment procedures.
These rifles began being delivered with KAC (or later, P&S Products) M5 rail adapter systems pre-installed from the factory.
They still incorporated metal (aluminum) trap door assembles in their A2 stocks, though the stock-body materials began being produced in a slightly more "grey" color, than the deeper "black" color of earlier models.
Sometime during the later part of this era (@ 2009ish?) ambidextrous safeties started showing up occasionally in use.
Detachable carry handles began to be phased out of deliveries (or packaged separately with the weapon) as A4s began to be shipped out with either no rear iron sights or had Matech back up rear iron sights equipped... Also, KAC 600m? sights were occasionally (though rarely) seen to be used rather than the Matechs during this time period. (May have been KAC 800m sights - my memory is somewhat hazy in this regard)
These rifles were often seen using Surefire M95 & M96-series weapon lights (M951/M952 or M961/M962 models both with & without the use of tape switches) The earliest ones had "wide" bodies (thicker) & "ribbed" head assemblies. Later ones used thinner bodies & had smooth head assemblies. These changes were made in an effort to lighten the accessory weight-wise, at the expense of heat dissipation.
Depending on the AO - Buttstock magazine pouches were often used during this time period. Most were seen to be black in color, though occasionally other color variants like olive drab or camo-patterned colors were used.
Sling use varied dramatically during this period, though most were seen to be of the 3-point type design, usually black in color, though like the stock pouches, were occasionally seen in other color variants. Near the latter part of this period (late 2006ish?), Blue Force Gear 2-point slings began to be seen occasionally in use on A4s.
Also, during this period, many of the standard 30rd magazines with field units were upgraded by the use of Magpul "anti-tilt" followers. Later (circa 2009), the military began procuring their own version of this follower for use in all their future magazine purchases.

US Army variants tended to use Aimpoint M68 red dot sights (Comp M2 earlier, or Comp M3.. maybe Comp M4 for very late models? - I'm not sure exactly when the Comp M4 & M4s models actually started making the rounds)
Us Army variants were also noted to still be using either US M7 or M9 bayonets.

Marine Corps variants usually were noted to be using a Trijicon scope (TA01NSN & TA31-F? models earlier, & TA31RCOA4 models later)
The original TA51 mounts on these optics were at first shipped with knobs facing toward the left side of the weapon. Later this was changed to have the knobs of the TA51 mount face toward the right side. (or was it the other way around?...I can't recall now.)
The Marines started using the OKC3S bayonet with this rifle from @ 2003 onward.

Modern Era M16A4s (Circa 2011(ish) to Present)

These M16A4s are noted by their use of the following:

Their A2 pistol grips have a distinctive "shelf-like" tapering of the bottom "bump" of the grip, as well as a squared-off taper to the top side profile of the grip. Furthermore, these grips tend to be lighter black in color, nearing closer to a "grey-scale" than "black" and have a flat, non-reflective surface finish.
They use one of 3 different types of safeties - The first being like the older format (War Years) safety except that it is reversible for use with South-Paws, the second is an ambidextrous safety that has a shortened lever on the non-dominant (non-thumb) side, and the 3rd is non-ambidextrous safety though the "lever" extends from the center of the safety rather than from the edge of the safety as those of the previous eras.
The trap doors of the A2 stock assemblies, while still using metal retaining latches, are occasionally found to have plastic door bodies rather than the metal (aluminum) bodies of previous eras. (Though I'm not sure if this is an actual change to the A4 specification, or rather some type of screw-up in the supply chain.)
These rifles are delivered with either Matech or KAC rear sights equipped, rather than with detachable carry handles.
They are often seen equipped with either black or coyote colored Blue Force Gear NSN Vickers 2-point slings & mounts, though M1 slings are occasionally seen in use for "parade" or "training" purposes/exercises.
These rifles are almost exclusively used with either the Trijicon TA31RCOA4 scope (for the US Marines), or the Aimpoint M68 (COMP M4 & M4S) red dot sights (for the US Army).
The TA51 mounts used with the Trijicon scopes were, or rather ...are, commonly replaced with LaRue Tactical quick release lever mounts.
As of this posting, I believe there are no longer any A4s that are still equipped with standard A2 hand guards. They should all be equipped with KAC M5 drop-in rails. (That I know of)
Right around this time frame (2010ish), LED lighting began to really make itself known in the weapon light industry, and as such - M16A4s began to be seen with Surefire M952V LED/Infrared convertible weapon lights, or Surefire M600v? LED "Scout" weapon lights in use. (Not sure of the actual Scout model number, though I believe it was in the 600-type series)

Because of the often rapid, constantly changing nature of the use & development of night vision accessories & laser sighting equipment, I have purposefully not touched upon their use with the M16A4 in this posting, and shall leave that to the AR15 community's more knowledgeable fellows to expound upon.

On a side note:
Throughout the last two eras (War Years & Modern), there have been a number of "Field Modifications" (some "approved" & others ...not-so-much) to the M16A4 weapon system. One such modification, has been the replacement of the Standard A2 stock assembly with a collapsible one such as the Lewis Machine & Tool Company (or also B5 Systems) SOPMOD Stock, or the Veltor "A5" stock assembly. While these "Mods" may have been approved for temporary "fielded" use, while so modified, these weapons are generally no longer considered to be classed among other "M16A4s", but rather among the status of "Special Weapons" or unofficially as "M16A5s". Because these weapons (as modified) no longer fit either the physical description or technical specifications of that of an M16A4, clones which are based around these modifications are generally not considered to be among M16A4 "clones".

Maybe later I will go back through this adding a few relevant pictures, but I think this is about the best I can come up with at present, and hopefully it will be enough to help you to sort things out...

Mike (FlDiveCop71)

ETA: This write up, while general in nature, primarily refers to completed M16A4 weapons' configurations as they were delivered to the US military @ the timeframes mentioned, and should not be construed as absolutes as to actual configurations that may be found in the field, either presently or at the aforementioned time periods. While the military supply system may continue to provide newly manufactured components built to outdated specifications, these items are primarily intended & supplied as "replacement" components for older weapons, rather than as revisionary components for newly issued M16A4s. Though some mention is made as to various options & accessories used in association with the M16A4 throughout these periods, please note that these comments are by no means the end-all / be-all of what was either available for use, or actually issued to the troops, but rather that which has been either known personally, or shown through reliable sources to have been used @ these periods. ...FDC71.
Link Posted: 1/3/2017 12:19:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FlDiveCop71] [#1]
I don't see how that pic relates to anything in this A4 thread, but maybe that's just me...

ETA: <sighs>I guess I'll have to take a new pic of my A4s this afternoon... apologies until then.
Link Posted: 1/3/2017 4:28:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By JJREA:
Not something you see every day.  I have seen A2's with waffle stocks.  I think CD posted those and said they have a new weight buffer for that called an H6 I think it was.  I think they were A2's and not A4's.....

I don't know, but I rarely see an A2 with an ACOG on top.  Man that must be one front heavy gun.  If there is a light on the other side of those handgaurds, wow.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Not something you see every day.  I have seen A2's with waffle stocks.  I think CD posted those and said they have a new weight buffer for that called an H6 I think it was.  I think they were A2's and not A4's.....

I don't know, but I rarely see an A2 with an ACOG on top.  Man that must be one front heavy gun.  If there is a light on the other side of those handgaurds, wow.

Can confirm that, even with an A2  stock to balance it out some, that gun would be front heavy as hell. [:o) I've only ever seen waffle stocks used on military 20" guns in person, as well.

Originally Posted By 03RN:
Was this the only pic? Or was it cropped?

Couple points

It's a M203 (A2)

No muzzle in picture makes me think it has a BFA.

Also doesn't look like he has plates in so might be conus

It was the only picture posted, unsure if it was cropped.

Originally Posted By FlDiveCop71:
I don't see how that pic relates to anything in this A4 thread, but maybe that's just me...

ETA: <sighs>I guess I'll have to take a new pic of my A4s this afternoon... apologies until then.

It's tangentially related. Appears to be an early attempt at doing roughly what the A4 is doing, and I thought it may be interesting to have a conversation in this thread, rather than let it die until it gets bumped again next moth with a single comment.
Link Posted: 1/3/2017 8:30:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: OnlytheTip] [#3]
I've never seen DCU's with an American flag that isn't subdued. Airsofter?

Edited, I've never seen them post Gulf War I (Desert Shield/Desert Storm). OEF/OIF era had subdued issued, in my experience. Maybe NG/AR weren't issued.
Link Posted: 1/3/2017 9:17:59 PM EDT
[#4]
I really screwed up & bought a RRA A2 NM Hbar 20 incher in hopes of installing triangle handguards...no fitty,too big OD of bsrrel FF sleeve.
Any ideas if this will fit the RRA?
Link Posted: 1/3/2017 9:36:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SGL_Shooter] [#5]
Originally Posted By OnlytheTip:
View Quote

Real dude. He's fighting a disease (I forget which one); this was the pic posted online in the article about him.

ETA: Justin Dodson. Fighting ALS.
Link Posted: 1/3/2017 9:51:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Nameless_Hobo] [#6]
Originally Posted By miwafr:
I really screwed up & bought a RRA A2 NM Hbar 20 incher in hopes of installing triangle handguards...no fitty,too big OD of bsrrel FF sleeve.
Any ideas if this will fit the RRA?
View Quote

You have to modify mod every handguard to mount on a NM sleeve. In what way was it too big?

ETA: Does anyone have pictures of the early A4s that still had plastic handguards? I don't think I've ever actually seen one in service.
Link Posted: 1/4/2017 10:21:53 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Combat_Diver] [#7]
Originally Posted By OnlytheTip:
View Quote

I remember having a full colored flag on my DCUs around 03-04'  IIRC.
MP-44

M4A1s (Sable and Dawn Marie WWE)

My uniform with a 44' Remington Rand M1911A1

CD
Link Posted: 1/12/2017 11:12:17 PM EDT
[#8]

Got that TA-31 finally
Link Posted: 1/13/2017 8:09:40 PM EDT
[#9]
This may have been asked, but has the GDI RCOM E-Model been used on the A4? I picked one up when they were cheap and plan to buy the TA31 this tax season. All the pics I see show the larue or stock mount. Also, is it the stock larue mount? I remember reading somewhere the A4 uses a different Larue mount with the leveers on the opposite side.
Link Posted: 1/13/2017 9:32:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: STL_Nik] [#10]
If memory serves me some Army units had aimpoints on A4's, did they not?   I'm trying to keep my A4 authentic, but I can't convince myself to drop the coin for an ACOG. I already own an Aimpoint.
Link Posted: 1/13/2017 9:53:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By STL_Nik:
If memory serves me some Army units had aimpoints on A4's, did they not?   I'm trying to keep my A4 authentic, but I can't convince myself to drop the coin for an ACOG. I already own an Aimpoint.
View Quote

M68 CCO are already in the system and would be easily find its way unto a M16A4.

CD
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 3:57:38 AM EDT
[#12]
View Quote

There's a couple pictures of that setup in use earlier in this thread, I thought I had it saved but I can't find it.
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 10:50:22 AM EDT
[#13]
I remember being at Fort Hood in 2003.  The Grunts with the 4th ID had M16A4s with M68s mounted.  They where the M2 version.  I dont remember seeing any of them with an Acog.  These guys were just about to deploy for OIF.
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 3:01:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FlDiveCop71] [#14]
Early Army A4s first used the detachable carry handles - then the Comp M2-type M68 Aimpoints, while some of the last A4s in Army use used the Comp M4 & M4S-type M68 Aimpoints.
Personally, I have never seen an Acog used in Army service, but that doesn't meant they were never used by them...

ETA: I managed to find 1 photo of an Acog being used on an Army A4...
Attachment Attached File

You could use an Aimpoint Pro mounted in a comp M2 mount & it would still carry the same overall appearance as that of using a comp M2.
Here's one of my Army A4 clones which uses an Aimpoint Pro mounted in a comp M2 mount (later style) w/ early aimpoint cover/caps.
Attachment Attached File

ETAA: Here's a couple of other reposted Army A4 pics:
This Army A4 is set up for left-hand use & is actually using standard A2 handguards rather than an M5 ras...
Attachment Attached File

The third soldier in this photo has a hand-held flashlight taped to his Comp M2.. You can just make out the knob of the M2 mount poking out from behind the light. There also appears to be a Kac 300m back-up iron sight attached to the rifle...
Attachment Attached File

Another Comp M2/M68 Army A4 in use...
Attachment Attached File

An early Army A4 pic...Note the use of the early (flat base) Comp M2 Mount on the M68CCO.
Attachment Attached File

One of the more recent Army A4 pics I've seen posted here.

Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 3:49:02 PM EDT
[#15]
Please dont shoot the 203, please don't shoot the 203, please don't shoot the 203
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 4:11:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FlDiveCop71] [#16]
@MrMitch  - Some GDI mounts have been used with A4 Acogs, though I am not sure if the E-model is one of them.
Here is a pic of an A4 using a GDI Acog mount, though I'm not certain which specific model this GDI mount is, ...it does have the appearance of an E-model from what I can tell.)
Attachment Attached File

Some other pics of the same style GDI Acog mount being used...
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Other known Acog mounts used with A4s include:

Standard TA51 mount with knobs mounted facing to either the left (mostly early) or right (mostly later on)
Bobro Quick-Release Acog Mount (lever-locked)
A.R.M.S. ACOG mount (has 2 locking levers facing toward each other on the right hand side).
Larue LT622 mount (Single pair of mount holes w/ levers facing aft on the right-hand side)
Larue LT622-SDO mount (multiple mount holes, w/ levers facing aft on the right-hand side) *note: The LT622-SDO-A & LT799 mounts have a slightly different angle of approach to their mounting surfaces, and are designed for specific scopes & use applications.
Larue LT100 mount (single pair of mount holes w/ levers facing aft on the left-hand side) *note: you may have trouble closing the aft locking lever when using this mount in conjunction with some buis such as the Matech.
Larue LT681 mount (Single locking lever facing aft on the right-hand side, narrow aft mount section)*note: this mount is designed for using an Acog without a back-up iron sight in use so as to mount the Acog as far rear-ward on the top rail as possible, and still be able to easily access the charging handle.

Hope this helps you
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 4:35:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: LostKeys45] [#17]
Originally Posted By Combat_Diver:

M68 CCO are already in the system and would be easily find its way unto a M16A4.

CD
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Combat_Diver:

CD

Yup. I had an A4 like this. Shit I had an A2 with a M68 mounted in front of the carry handle (stateside only) when a deploying unit took our brand new M4s and gave us the A2s.

ETA: pic thread

Sorry it's not an exact clone.
BCM complete upper
LMT defender complete lower
ACOG (gray because it was found $100 cheaper during a sale)
KAC factory seconds rail
Sling was my issued sling and still has NTC rotation sand on it

Needs BUIS and I'm going to drop a Geissele in it at some point because I am a firearms instructor for my department and still qualify and occasionally carry this gun on duty.
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 6:09:14 PM EDT
[#18]
Thanks  for all the info @FlDiveCop71 !
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 9:32:47 PM EDT
[#19]
My A4 had a CCO on it.
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 7:49:39 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 1/18/2017 5:40:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: STL_Nik] [#21]
Crappy cell phone pic.   I'll throw my aimpoint on when I get a matech.

Link Posted: 1/20/2017 4:09:48 PM EDT
[#22]
Here is my A4 clone. I will be listing it for sell on the equipment exchange later today. I love this rifle though... damn.

Link Posted: 1/21/2017 2:11:54 PM EDT
[#23]
Couple of new pics. Got the sling in last week. Only thing missing is a light, and not so sure I'm going to put one on. 

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 7:42:17 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 9:37:38 PM EDT
[#25]
Damn, I'd hate to have a drill instructor with a name like that in the last pic.
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 12:52:32 PM EDT
[#26]
I'm not entirely certain from the perspective, but that might be my old barracks building behind the recruits. Mine was just behind the parade deck, furthest east, if I've got my directions right.
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 6:41:57 PM EDT
[#27]
Early Army A4s first used the detachable carry handles - then the Comp M2-type M68 Aimpoints, while some of the last A4s in Army use used the Comp M4 & M4S-type M68 Aimpoints.
Personally, I have never seen an Acog used in Army service, but that doesn't meant they were never used by them...
ETA: I managed to find 1 photo of an Acog being used on an Army A4...
http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u235/FLDiveCop71/33bg2fd.jpg

You could use an Aimpoint Pro mounted in a comp M2 mount & it would still carry the same overall appearance as that of using a comp M2.

Here's one of my Army A4 clones which uses an Aimpoint Pro mounted in a comp M2 mount (later style) w/ early aimpoint cover/caps.
http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u235/FLDiveCop71/IMAG0704.jpg

ETA: Here's a couple of other reposted Army A4 pics:
This Army A4 is set up for left-hand use & is actually using standard A2 handguards rather than an M5 ras...
http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u235/FLDiveCop71/22146_1230913652230_1210770065_3065.jpg
The third soldier in this photo has a hand-held flashlight taped to his Comp M2.. You can just make out the knob of the M2 mount poking out from behind the light. There also appears to be a Kac 300m back-up iron sight attached to the rifle...
http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u235/FLDiveCop71/M16A4ID.jpg
Another Comp M2/M68 Army A4 in use...
http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u235/FLDiveCop71/iraq05.jpg
An early Army A4 pic...Note the use of the early (flat base) Comp M2 Mount on the M68CCO.
http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u235/FLDiveCop71/military-wallpaper20096181524343778023.jpg
One of the more recent Army A4 pics I've seen posted here.
https://66.media.tumblr.com/cc5acd0e8119e33becf77d2188d2cca2/tumblr_oftn8wnnAb1tws180o1_1280.jpg
Hope this helps.
View Quote

You kind of lost me on the mounts, but it may be the difference between military designation and civilian???  I didn't know they made a "flat" style early on.  I thought the one you are referring to as a later style "Comp M2 Mount" was called a QRP mount.    I thought the Comp M2 was the actual Aimpoint designation and the M68CCO was the Military designation for the Aimpoint Comp M2.  I could see how the mount carried the same name if that's the mount that came with the sight, but I thought even military types call it the QRP mount.   I almost couldn't see the difference between that last pic, but I guess it does look like there is no slant to it like the QRP or "Comp M2" mount.
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 11:48:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FlDiveCop71] [#28]
You kind of lost me on the mounts, but it may be the difference between military designation and civilian???  I didn't know they made a "flat" style early on.  I thought the one you are referring to as a later style "Comp M2 Mount" was called a QRP mount.    I thought the Comp M2 was the actual Aimpoint designation and the M68CCO was the Military designation for the Aimpoint Comp M2.  I could see how the mount carried the same name if that's the mount that came with the sight, but I thought even military types call it the QRP mount.   I almost couldn't see the difference between that last pic, but I guess it does look like there is no slant to it like the QRP or "Comp M2" mount.
View Quote

You are correct in that the proper term for the mount itself is a "QRP Mount", however - I use the term Comp M2 Mount because the current style mount for the Aimpoint Pro models is now also often being called a "QRP Mount" rather than it's proper term "QRP2 Mount" so to differentiate - I simply call the original a Comp M2 Mount. While the term M68CCO is a military term which can be ascribed to a number of different Aimpoint models (Comp M2, M3, M4, & M4S) - I wanted to be clear on the particular Aimpoint model being used rather than just using the generic term M68CCO.

As for the differences between the early & late style Comp M2 mounts (QRP mount)...
The original "QRP" mount which was first used on the Comp M2 Series had a much thinner, flat base to them which was prone to cracking across the line of the tensioning bolt if the mount was over tightened & then subjected to a sudden impact to the optic - say like a rifle falling over on it's side & hitting the ground after being propped up against a wall. Because of this weakness, they later developed the much more widely distributed, slanted-style base for the Comp M2 (M68CCO).

Here is a close-up pic of the early "flat-base" & later "slanted-base" QRP mounts (Early flat base below & later slanted base above) - Note the much thicker, slanted profile of the (later) upper optic's base @ the tensioning bolt - Also note that the upper optic currently has a height spacer installed:
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 12:34:00 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Regulatori] [#29]
Any idea on the exact time frame when A4's started showing up at the School of Infantry?

At MCRD we had A2's but when I arrived for infantry training at SOI West in mid-July 2006, the A4's (with ACOG) looked brand new. Always wondered if I was in the first cycle to get them.
If I remember correctly, the MCT guys were still issued A2s.

I'm assuming boot camp started getting the rifles soon after too.
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 1:28:55 AM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By Regulatori:
Any idea on the exact time frame when A4's started showing up at the School of Infantry?

At MCRD we had A2's but when I arrived for infantry training at SOI West in mid-July 2006, the A4's (with ACOG) looked brand new. Always wondered if I was in the first cycle to get them.
If I remember correctly, the MCT guys were still issued A2s.

I'm assuming boot camp started getting the rifles soon after too.
View Quote

The official adoption date for the A4 for both the US Army & USMC was July 29th, 1997. While I'm not sure of the exact date that the A4 started circulating through the respective services' training camps, it was certainly before 2006.
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 1:33:15 AM EDT
[Last Edit: trperic] [#31]
If someone could assist me here I would greatly appreciate it.

I was 1ID and deployed to OIF 08-09.  ETS in 2010.  Being the squad SDM was my little side thing they had me do.  I had an M16A4 and am trying to replicate (as close as I can) the exact rifle I was issued (minus the purple upper receiver lol).  My issued rifle had a really old grey colt A2 lower (with a 4 literally stamped over the 2 to make it an A4), and an old faded FN upper.  I bought an FN Military Collector M16 as a base to build off of.  I have a Blackhawk stock mag pouch (as far as I can tell that is what I had), and I am ordering the Spec-Ops 101 3 point sling (I think that was RFI issued to us).  This one: http://www.specopsbrand.com/sling-101-m16.html in black.  The rifle came with the Matech BUIS, and as far as I can tell, the only thing left to complete my build is the ACOG.  And, this is where I am really facing a dilemma.

I don't care about what's better.  I just want my build to be as close to what I had as possible.  I know Trijicon has the RCO-A4 and the RCO-M150.  The A4 "would" be perfect (bullet drop, etc) but that is the USMC optic, and the M150 "should" be exactly what I need for the Army accurate build as what was issued to me.  I remember we were issued the same type of ACOG for M4's and for M16's.  However, the M150 has external adjuster knobs, and I know for a fact my ACOG did not have external adjusters.  My ACOG also did not have the lens covers, but it did have the laser filter / kill flash.  So my problem is now I'm not really sure which ACOG I was issued.  I was issued my ACOG in the 2008-2009 time period.  It's been a few years.  I thought it might have been just the base TA31, but I know for sure that my ACOG had the Mil lines along the side of the sight picture which I don't believe the TA31 base model has.

Did the Army ACOG get changed at some point to add the external adjusters and lens caps?  I remember adjusting mine with dog tags, and there were definitely no knobs to turn.  I am leaning toward going with the M150, but I wanted to ask your opinion.  Thanks for any responses.
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 2:05:08 AM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By trperic:
Did the Army ACOG get changed at some point to add the external adjusters and lens caps?
View Quote

I don't know the exact date but pretty much all the ACOGs started getting "external" adjusters. The TA31-RCO-A4 for example, was originally issued with internal adjusters, though later ones came with external adjusters. If the ACOG you used had horizontal reference lines, then it was probably either the RCO-A4, or the M150, as the TA01-NSN's reticle is very distinctive & the TA31F doesn't have any horizontal references. Don't worry too much about the type of adjusters as you can't tell the difference between the two types when the adjuster cover caps are on anyways. As for the lens caps on the M150 - The harder thing you're going to find is obtaining one that doesn't have the RMR tabs on it, as all the commercial models now come with them. I suppose you could always just have the tabs ground off & repainted, but that's a lot of expenditure for such a small nuance.
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 3:55:04 AM EDT
[#33]

The official adoption date for the A4 for both the US Army & USMC was July 29th, 1997. While I'm not sure of the exact date that the A4 started circulating through the respective services' training camps, it was certainly before 2006.
View Quote

All I remember is our SOI SGTs being surprised at the armory when we first got them.

Distinctly remember SgtMaj Vines yelling/complaining about the "new fancy rifles" (or something similar) in the chow hall too. haha
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 4:30:51 AM EDT
[#34]

I don't know the exact date but pretty much all the ACOGs started getting "external" adjusters. The TA31-RCO-A4 for example, was originally issued with internal adjusters, though later ones came with external adjusters. If the ACOG you used had horizontal reference lines, then it was probably either the RCO-A4, or the M150, as the TA01-NSN's reticle is very distinctive & the TA31F doesn't have any horizontal references. Don't worry too much about the type of adjusters as you can't tell the difference between the two types when the adjuster cover caps are on anyways. As for the lens caps on the M150 - The harder thing you're going to find is obtaining one that doesn't have the RMR tabs on it, as all the commercial models now come with them. I suppose you could always just have the tabs ground off & repainted, but that's a lot of expenditure for such a small nuance.
View Quote

Thanks, I think I'm going to pull the trigger on the M150, appreciate the response!
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 5:26:26 PM EDT
[#35]
Sounds like your lower might have been an Anniston Army Depot refurb.  I think they were marked ANAD somewhere.  My wife is from Anniston and we see the Army Depot all the time when we go back.  Although Ft. McLellan is no longer there.  

Thank you for serving and hope your build goes well.  Let us see it when she's done.  Do you remember what ammo you used mostly?  Was it M855?  Did you get any Mk262?  Or did you shoot M193?  Just curious.
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 5:44:27 PM EDT
[#36]

You are correct in that the proper term for the mount itself is a "QRP Mount", however - I use the term Comp M2 Mount because the current style mount for the Aimpoint Pro models is now also often being called a "QRP Mount" rather than it's proper term "QRP2 Mount" so to differentiate - I simply call the original a Comp M2 Mount. While the term M68CCO is a military term which can be ascribed to a number of different Aimpoint models (Comp M2, M3, M4, & M4S) - I wanted to be clear on the particular Aimpoint model being used rather than just using the generic term M68CCO.

As for the differences between the early & late style Comp M2 mounts (QRP mount)...
The original "QRP" mount which was first used on the Comp M2 Series had a much thinner, flat base to them which was prone to cracking across the line of the tensioning bolt if the mount was over tightened & then subjected to a sudden impact to the optic - say like a rifle falling over on it's side & hitting the ground after being propped up against a wall. Because of this weakness, they later developed the much more widely distributed, slanted-style base for the Comp M2 (M68CCO).

Here is a close-up pic of the early "flat-base" & later "slanted-base" QRP mounts (Early flat base below & later slanted base above) - Note the much thicker, slanted profile of the (later) upper optic's base @ the tensioning bolt - Also note that the upper optic currently has a height spacer installed:
http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u235/FLDiveCop71/IMAG0716B.jpg
View Quote

FWIW, I know the difference and call out the difference between the QRP and QRP2 mount.  I've had both now.  I had not recalled seeing that older style.  Thanks for the pic.  I don't know exactly what the "ACO" mount is, but I'm pretty sure it's thinner at the bottom like that too.  Not quite the same though.   Cheaper knob and stuff.  

http://us.aimpoint.com/product/aimpoint-aco/
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 9:18:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: trperic] [#37]
Sounds like your lower might have been an Anniston Army Depot refurb.  I think they were marked ANAD somewhere.  My wife is from Anniston and we see the Army Depot all the time when we go back.  Although Ft. McLellan is no longer there.  

Thank you for serving and hope your build goes well.  Let us see it when she's done.  Do you remember what ammo you used mostly?  Was it M855?  Did you get any Mk262?  Or did you shoot M193?  Just curious.
View Quote

Were you referring to the rifle I mentioned in my post?  I don't really remember how it was marked.  It was definitely a refurb though.  We used nothing but M855, and if I recall correctly, the last 2-3 rounds in each mag was a tracer (which I BELIEVE was M856 but I could be wrong).  When I get everything installed I will definitely be posting pictures.

I did scrounge up a few pictures of it if anyone wants to see it.  I had a crap camera that I bought from the haji mart, and I was an awful photographer.  Some of the pictures don't show the stock mag pouch, I think we got those mid-deployment.  I had the laser filter and kill flash, but I always just left it in the box.  We didn't have any kind of SOP for using either.  Please forgive the grip and the bipod, I was dumb and we all thought it was high speed to bolt crap onto our rifles that wasn't standard.  Toward the end of the deployment it went back to the stock grip and no bipod.

Here is a closeup of the ACOG: (I have no idea why my rear BUIS wasn't on...)

And finally, the sight picture:

I'm getting ready to order the M150 ACOG as I'm pretty sure that will be as close as I can get.  Now I have to figure out how to tell the wife.......
Link Posted: 1/26/2017 12:50:59 AM EDT
[Last Edit: JJREA] [#38]
Yeah, I googled and found a pic but my memory was wrong.  This ANAD refurbed lower is black.  Not grey like you said yours was.......  Although maybe they refinished some and not others.  Anyways.....  

You dudes are bad to the bone with all them AK's.  
Link Posted: 1/26/2017 8:50:13 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 1/26/2017 10:20:00 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 10:56:41 AM EDT
[#41]

CD
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 4:36:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SpazzyMcgee123] [#42]
I know this isn't a correct clone, so feel free to kick me out. The idea behind this build was an M16A4 dissipator. I think it turned out well.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 5:19:36 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 6:45:34 PM EDT
[#44]
Yeah but that is awesome.  I always thought that would be a cool build too.  I've debated on chopping down my 20" A2 to have something similar.
Link Posted: 1/28/2017 12:41:40 AM EDT
[Last Edit: itsamike] [#45]
Not a perfect A4 clone, but that ALG trigger is smooth. The silver trigger just seems really out of place though. Maybe I'll just paint it black or something, idk.

Now I have come to an impasse, pay off student loans or buy an ACOG... ACOG seems to be the only rational choice in this situation, can't leave this build on the edge of completion.
Link Posted: 1/30/2017 12:02:43 AM EDT
[Last Edit: trperic] [#46]
Well here is my current M16A4 clone.  I kind of cheated though, it's literally nothing more than the FN Military Collector M16 with a Blackhawk Stock Mag Pouch.  My Spec-Ops 101 M16 sling will be in tomorrow, and my ACOG M150 will be in on Tuesday.  So, as a placeholder, I expertly photoshopped an ACOG on until Tuesday lol.  Once my ACOG comes in I will post an updated picture.  I'm almost there!!!

(One thing that is kind of cool is the serial number begins with "M16SA")

Link Posted: 1/31/2017 7:40:30 PM EDT
[#47]
If you got that ACOG on the EE, I'd give that dude a bad rating.  

Nice build.
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 9:04:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: trperic] [#48]
If you got that ACOG on the EE, I'd give that dude a bad rating.  

Nice build.
View Quote

LOL right, and thanks!  Well everyone, my ACOG finally made it in!  I installed it per the Army TM for the M150, finger tight then 1/4 turn.  Link to manual in case anyone else would like it: http://www.liberatedmanuals.com/TM-9-1240-416-13-and-P.pdf  I already took it out and zeroed it at my parent's farm @ 25m on an M16A2 target doing the 1.5 block offset that the manual talks about.  One problem though, the sling I bought was NOT the right one!  I thought it was, but after reviewing my old pictures I should have actually bought this sling: http://fireforceusa.com/slings/8342.htm  NSN#1005-01-562-7396  It's OK though, I just converted the wrong sling into a 2-point and I'll leave it alone.  I didn't really like all the straps of my old issued 3 point sling anyways.  And like the other poster stated above, he was right, the commercial ACOGs do have the "ears" for the red dot sight.  I'm OK with it though.  The lens caps are new along with the external adjusters, and on my old ACOG just the chevron was illuminated (as I recall) and on this one, all the way down to 450m is illuminated.  It's good though, I have no complaints.

Parts:
FN M16 Military Collector - $1589 (bought locally, around $1700 after tax)
ACOG TA31RCO-M150CP - $1250 (bought from Gunbroker, for Army specific build otherwise I would have used RCO-A4)
Blackhawk Stock Mag Pouch - $20
Spec-Ops Sling - $30 (wrong sling, for me anyways)
--------------------------  $3000 total

I am not rich by any means.  The rifle was paid for by selling an FS2000 and a PS90, both were bought years ago.  I know I could have done this for way cheaper, but I really wanted the FN rifle.

Here she is after being zeroed: (It's cleared, so the selector is on "SEMI")

M150 sight picture:

This is the rollmark:

And the safety selector switch:
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 12:16:04 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Lancelot] [#49]
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 12:18:01 AM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 145
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top