Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/18/2005 3:58:21 PM EDT
I just ordered a PRI Carbon fiber FF tube and PRI flip-up front sight for my Colt 20" HBar.  

This is my rifle as it currently exists. With this rig I've been able to shoot 5-shot 5/8" groups at 100 yards using my 69-gr handloads, but I want to make it more like an SPR, so I'll be putting on the PRI parts and I also got a Leupold Mark 4 3x9 MRT to go on it in place of the ACOG.   I'd love to see your pics if you have something similar.

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b348/bravo551/ColtHBarw_ACOG032small.jpg
Link Posted: 11/18/2005 4:37:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Me too!!! Lets see'em.
Link Posted: 11/18/2005 4:55:34 PM EDT
[#2]

Link Posted: 11/18/2005 5:27:11 PM EDT
[#3]
My "SPR Lite" built around a Colt 1/7 HBAR weighs something like 9.5 pounds.  So having that barrel reprofiled to about 0.700 under the handguards might be worthwhile when you have it apart to install the PRI forend.  I removed the upper and lower rails to cut weight, and prevent another bout of bipoditus.

Paladin

Link Posted: 11/18/2005 5:31:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Duffy,

Those are just plain NICE!
Link Posted: 11/18/2005 5:34:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 11/18/2005 5:37:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Aw shucks, thanks stick!  These are old pics, I've since sold the SPR clone, but thinking about buying it back hehe
Link Posted: 11/19/2005 7:41:58 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
My "SPR Lite" built around a Colt 1/7 HBAR weighs something like 9.5 pounds.  So having that barrel reprofiled to about 0.700 under the handguards might be worthwhile when you have it apart to install the PRI forend.  I removed the upper and lower rails to cut weight, and prevent another bout of bipoditus.

Paladin

mysite.verizon.net/respz08b/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/Captured_2005-8-20_00001.jpg

Thanks, Paladin.  This is almost exactly what I envisioned.  I can't tell from your photo if you have the same, but I ordered a GG&G Scout Fire Rail riser instead of the full length ARMS rail.  I also have a GG&G BUIS.  Now I can't decide if I want to have the muzzle threaded for a FS or leave it plain.  Also, I am considering a Crane stock or one of the new Magpul stocks, but can't see spending +$250 just to make it look cooler.   I also can't decide if I need a QD setup with the Leupy 3-9x36 MRT or if I should just use the Leupy Mark 4 rings that I have.  But then I think, "Why have BUIS if you don't have QD on the Leupy?"  Please help me decide.  All the choices drive me batty so I can't sleep at night!
Link Posted: 11/20/2005 8:51:40 AM EDT
[#8]
That Leupold 2x7 glass is sitting in PRW "high" rings.  With the GG&G "GS-1" rail adapter I can position ANY scope far enough forward for shooting NTCH with the oldest style M16 stock which uses the rubber covered (non-storage) butt plate that I prefer.

Buttstocks and how well they "fit" is pretty personal, and being an old dog I often just stick with what has worked for me, in some cases for a quarter century!  I would like to try a Vltor A1 length fixed stock sometime, since my other "Zombie" rifle could use some battery storage capability, but "spare battery storage" is a hell of a poor excuse for spending that much money!

If your Mark4 rings raise the scope about 1/2 inch above the GG&G rail, yielding a LOS about 1.4 to 1.6 above the flat top, you should be OK with them.  I like the PRW/QRW style because the Torx wrench needed can be duct taped to a flat surface anywhere on the weapon, readily accessible for pulling the scope if needed.  "QD" is not something anyone should be losing sleep over.

This rig is now my defacto "Deer Rifle" and throws handloaded Sierra 65 Gamekings at almost 2900 fps.

Did I mention it now weighs 29.5 ounces less than when it had the Arms #38 SPR rail, Harris bipod, Arms 40A2 BUIS, and Pri Front sight, top rail, and lower rails?!  That's why I call it an "SPR Lite".

Paladin
Link Posted: 11/20/2005 10:06:28 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
"QD" is not something anyone should be losing sleep over.

Paladin

Well, I do lose sleep over these things...I can't decide whether to put the PRI front sight on and leave the GG&G BUIS or to install a low profile gas block and forget the flip-ups altogther.  Then, I can use my Leupy MK4 rings and I don't need the QD feature.  Really, why do I need BUIS on this rifle, other than the cool factor?  When was the last time a Leupy Mark 4 crapped out on anyone and they had to resort to irons?  My only fear is that one day I'll be at the range when my Leupy spontaneously combusts just as a horde of zombies comes out of the woods. Then I will be cursing myself, "Why didn't I get the QD mount?!"  Could happen. BTW- Can you remove the whole GG&G rail just by loosening the two hex bolts that secure it to the rail?  I don't have mine to look at, but I believe it tips off to the side, instead of sliding over the rail from the back like the ARMS sleeves - right?  If so, I could just put the proper size allen wrench in my TD pistol grip in case I needed to remove the scope- I could loosen the two bolts and the whole rail platform would easily come off.  With the ARMS sleeve, you would also have to remove the BUIS to slide the whole sleeve to the rear.
Link Posted: 11/20/2005 10:44:25 AM EDT
[#10]
My 6.8 SPC build.

Link Posted: 11/21/2005 11:07:05 PM EDT
[#11]
anymore out there?
Link Posted: 11/22/2005 6:28:12 AM EDT
[#12]
I heard the black coating comes off easily, can anyone else confirm this?

Justin
Link Posted: 11/22/2005 10:36:56 AM EDT
[#13]
How much does the PRI carbine length forearm weigh, anybody know?
Link Posted: 11/22/2005 2:11:10 PM EDT
[#14]
Go here to find the weight of each handguard
Link Posted: 11/22/2005 4:29:39 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Cool, thanks.
Link Posted: 12/2/2005 9:36:21 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Cool, thanks.

got excited when I saw these, but DD rails are still lighter by 3 ounces
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top