Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/9/2005 9:29:50 AM EDT
OK, I picked up a 6-position collapsible stock yesterday at the funshow and slapped it on my 20" Bushy A3.  I'd been having some problems with the A2 length of pull and not getting a good shoulder mount so I figured the collapsible would solve my problem.  It fits just about exactly perfect with summer clothes on position 4.  I do find I need to move the acog forward a slot or two, just haven't gotten around to it yet.

Does this look as silly as I think it does?

In my perfect world I'd like to get a 16" M4 barrell, goof FF rails, and a VFG.  My gun budget is blown for the time being, however, so I'm limping along.

Fully extended:
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b296/forester1/BMA3_20_CStock1.jpg
Collapsed
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b296/forester1/BMA3_20_CStock2.jpg

Link Posted: 10/9/2005 9:40:04 AM EDT
[#1]
If it works better for you, then i do not find it funny looking at all.  Since a weapon is a tool, it should fit the user in a way he can use it best.  If this is it, then more power to ya...
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 9:41:30 AM EDT
[#2]
If you don't want it to look "silly" and are having problems with the A2 length stock, I'd recommend trying out the A1 length stock. It's 5/8" shorter than the A2 and IMO it's much more comfortable than the A2. Can't comment on the 6 pos. M4 stock though.
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 9:54:03 AM EDT
[#3]
Yeah, I thought long and hard about getting an A1 stock, but decided to go with the collapsible because a) I intend at some point to pick up a 16" M4 barrell or complete upper and b) I like the looks of the collapsible.

And completely off-topic, but does anyone know if Wilson uses 4140 or 4150 steel for thier barrells?
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 10:47:31 AM EDT
[#4]
i dont like the way it looks
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 10:57:35 AM EDT
[#5]
Wilson uses 4140.

Last I heard, Bushmaster and Colt use 4150.

Link Posted: 10/9/2005 11:09:49 AM EDT
[#6]
Who cares what it looks like?  Does it work?
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 11:49:54 AM EDT
[#7]
Diemaco (just purchased by Colt) - who manufactures the M16 for the Canadian (and a few other militaries) makes their 20" model - the C7A2 - that way now.  If a military manufacturer does it, it's probably not really "silly"

Link Posted: 10/9/2005 12:01:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Who cares what it looks like as long as it is doing what you need it to do.

That being said, I think it looks pretty cool...
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 12:04:32 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Diemaco (just purchased by Colt) - who manufactures the M16 for the Canadian (and a few other militaries) makes their 20" model - the C7A2 - that way now.  If a military manufacturer does it, it's probably not really "silly"

It looks a little "funny" to me, but I have done this before and it seems to work OK. truth be told it is probably more functional than a solid stock (as long as you aren't buttstroking folks or something) as you can adjust the LOP for heavy clothing, etc, etc.

Like DK Prof said, you just have a "Canuck M16" now.
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 12:05:23 PM EDT
[#10]
I think it looks fine. Leave it like it is if YOU like it and it works for YOU.
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 1:02:57 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

In my perfect world I'd like to get a 16" M4 barrell, goof FF rails, and a VFG.  My gun budget is blown for the

Why would ya want goof FF rails?
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 1:09:21 PM EDT
[#12]
It's not about LOOKS, it's about whether you shoot more accurately or faster or both or whether you do not..
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 1:15:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Retracted it looks a little odd, but fully extended it balances and almost seems to fit the design look.  Hell, if anybody gives you crap just tell em your Canadian and thats how you roll up there.
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 1:16:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Get RustedAce to post some pics of his rig in the sandbox...

not silly at all!!
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 1:22:24 PM EDT
[#15]
I don't think it look silly at all.

Not sure if I would have changed it, but it will offer some variety in your shooting styles and as such should be a plus

That rig would look great with just the KAC M5 rail and your ACOG.. A USMC tribute...ready-to-go.

Nice rifle, Fred!
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 1:33:44 PM EDT
[#16]
Looks cool to me. Matter of fact I have the same 6 position stock on my 20 in Bushmaster. Just curious though, was'nt it a bitch to get that stock off that the factory put on? I destroyed minetrying to get it off.
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 2:14:11 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
If you don't want it to look "silly" and are having problems with the A2 length stock, I'd recommend trying out the A1 length stock. It's 5/8" shorter than the A2 and IMO it's much more comfortable than the A2. Can't comment on the 6 pos. M4 stock though.

That's what I did with mine.  Best $10 I've spent on my AR so far.  
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 2:17:56 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

In my perfect world I'd like to get a 16" M4 barrell, goof FF rails, and a VFG.  My gun budget is blown for the

Why would ya want goof FF rails? hr

Because, in MY perfect world, we generally don't concern ourselves with the proper spelling of words like "good".  I note for the record that my perfect world rarely has any commonality with the real world.

Link Posted: 10/9/2005 2:21:48 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Looks cool to me. Matter of fact I have the same 6 position stock on my 20 in Bushmaster. Just curious though, was'nt it a bitch to get that stock off that the factory put on? I destroyed minetrying to get it off.

Damn tootin'.  Went through 3 cigarettes and progressively harder yanking on my Craftsman.  Finally pulled out the propane torch, figuring they'd loctite'd it in there.  After a couple sessions of judicious application of heat it finally broke free.  No damage to the receiver extension or receiver.  No sign of loctite, either.

and Thanks!, redfisher!
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 2:23:29 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Ya, but they use ultra-superior green furniture.
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 2:25:10 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

And those awesome-looking green ELCANs - I am somehow less happy with my regular boring Elcan now that I've seen the green ones.  
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 2:30:00 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

And those awesome-looking green ELCANs - I am somehow less happy with my regular boring Elcan now that I've seen the green ones.  

You ain't kidding! My C7A2-gery won't be truly complete without one, but no dice. Maybe a can of green spraypaint...?
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 3:57:53 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Damn tootin'.  Went through 3 cigarettes and progressively harder yanking on my Craftsman.  Finally pulled out the propane torch, figuring they'd loctite'd it in there.  After a couple sessions of judicious application of heat it finally broke free.  No damage to the receiver extension or receiver.  No sign of loctite, either.

and Thanks!, redfisher!

My first factory NEW rifle was a BM, during the ban.  When the ban went away and I put a Magpul on in place of the A2 it came with, I had no trouble at all.  It just came right off.

And no, it's not silly.  I've done that config before (well without the ACOG, because my poor ass is still saving for one).  I find it to be superior to an A2, or even an A1 which I prefer to an A2.  I think the military should switch completly to collapisble stocks for all weapons.  Having the shooter be able to adjust the stock to best match his preference/size, would probably do wonders for effectiveness, I'd guess.
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 4:09:48 PM EDT
[#24]
The only thing that is silly is that you actually care how your rifle looks!

SHOOT IT!
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 4:44:26 PM EDT
[#25]
If it works for you let it be.  Personally, That style stock doesn't look right to me.  I have seen the Voltor clubfoot on a 20" rifle and it looked good.  
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 2:11:30 PM EDT
[#26]
Made it to the range today and I really like the fit and feel of the telestock.  Much better (for me) than the A2, I get a more "custom" fit.

I've got other issues with this stock (see new thread) but it shoots great.

And I've decided I like the way it looks!
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 12:28:21 PM EDT
[#27]
It only looks goofy because you don't have a 30 rnd mag in it, just like a lot of SBR AR's look goofy without a 30 rnd mag in them.
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 12:35:29 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
It only looks goofy because you don't have a 30 rnd mag in it, just like a lot of SBR AR's look goofy without a 30 rnd mag in them.

Good point!  I'll take some pix of it with a mag and post (rifle is currently in pieces pending stock issues).

With collapsed stock it almost looks like a squid...
Link Posted: 10/31/2005 12:44:14 PM EDT
[#29]
OK, here's the latest "version"

Bushy A3 20", TA31F, Surefire rails, Tango Down VG, ASP sling.

Link Posted: 10/31/2005 1:12:38 PM EDT
[#30]
if it looks stupid, but works... it's not stupid.
Link Posted: 10/31/2005 1:32:13 PM EDT
[#31]
I like it.

I don't have any pictures of it with the M4 stock on it.... I'll work on that..... Either way its about what works for you.
Link Posted: 10/31/2005 1:38:14 PM EDT
[#32]
Now we're cooking with fire.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top