BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/7/2005 10:54:58 PM EDT
Took one of our COLT 6920's , Sent the Lower to TOM SAWYER MFG to get the Lower engraved with the HK Pictograms "both sides"."AUTO TOO."

Then sent the Upper to LEITNER-WISE for their GAS PISTON CONV. (THE BEST SO FAR) ,When it came back i ordered up a DPMS Railed Gas Block and drilled it out and installed it.

I'm working on the HK 416 Rear Sight now. More pics to come.

Heres me playing with a HK 416 at the ShotShow, AWESOME WEAPON. The 16 i wish i had in the Army.

Heres my COLT 416 so far.

Link Posted: 7/7/2005 10:58:06 PM EDT
[#1]
you got to play around with a real HK made 416... i'm jealous...

also, very nice Colt...how much did the pictograms cost? maybe i'll get that done to the next lower i get...
Link Posted: 7/7/2005 11:32:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Hey Larry!  Good to see you over here!  Great looking rifle!  I've got a Leitner-Wise rifle on the way, but I really like your "416" clone.  
Link Posted: 7/8/2005 2:47:15 AM EDT
[#3]
Great post!

they sure did a genuine job on the pictograms, huh?

Now you've done it, Larry

Likely to be a run on 6920 mods................with me leading the charge!
Link Posted: 7/8/2005 3:24:42 AM EDT
[#4]
Cool - but lets hear more about the Leitner-Wise conversion. How's it working out so far? How many rounds have you put through it? Can you comment on accuracy, recoil, etc?

Thanks
Link Posted: 7/8/2005 3:36:24 AM EDT
[#5]
That is sweet.

Max
Link Posted: 7/8/2005 6:03:14 AM EDT
[#6]
How much did the leitiner-wise conversion cost?  I cant find it on thier website.
Link Posted: 7/8/2005 7:02:11 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Cool - but lets hear more about the Leitner-Wise conversion. How's it working out so far? How many rounds have you put through it? Can you comment on accuracy, recoil, etc?

Thanks

+1
Link Posted: 7/8/2005 7:14:57 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
How much did the leitiner-wise conversion cost?  I cant find it on thier website.

I think the group buy cost was $549, as opposed to $599, but don't quote me on that.
Link Posted: 7/8/2005 8:45:41 AM EDT
[#9]
In between building those FU*KING AK's, I plan on cutting out some Sight Bases. That will realy make this 416 clone cool looking

HK 416 REAL SIGHT:

Link Posted: 7/8/2005 10:04:01 AM EDT
[#10]
Nice rifle larry. Looks good for what people keep calling vaporware.   My vaporware is quite excellent.  Paul LW will enjoy the fact that you are making it look like a 416 . Only difference is it is lighter, more reliable and requires almost no piston maintenence.  

Is that gonna be one of your rentals?  Looks almost too pristine to be a larryG36 gun.  To get it looking like the rest, you need to take the desert color krylon to it and drag it through the dirt!

Alot of crow is gonna be served up around this place to all the dh's that called us cool aid drinkers when they have no experience with what they are talking about.  If you rent that gun, it will have 50K on it in no time.  Please post a review after you have thousands of FA rounds through it so I can say.....NA, na, na na na!  It doesn't seem to matter how many rounds I put on mine.  

Link Posted: 7/8/2005 12:49:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 7/8/2005 1:02:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Very Sexy!

I'd also like to hear more about how the Leitner-Wise conversion is working out.

ETA:  What kind of handguards are those?
Link Posted: 7/8/2005 1:13:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Larry,

How much did that pictogram engraving cost?
Link Posted: 7/8/2005 6:03:45 PM EDT
[#14]
Heres the engravers web sight :

www.tomsawyermfg.com/index.html
Link Posted: 7/8/2005 6:32:48 PM EDT
[#15]
Argh, Tell us how it shoots!  
Link Posted: 7/8/2005 6:49:18 PM EDT
[#16]
When's the next DBS (are those still on?), I'm flying in to try that baby!
Link Posted: 7/8/2005 9:05:01 PM EDT
[#17]
Great work from Tom Sawyer Mfg. and Leitner Wise. That thing is sweet!!!
Link Posted: 7/8/2005 9:24:50 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Argh, Tell us how it shoots!  

+1 I feel like I'm brandishing a rake amongst a mob of angry farmers: "Tell us how it shoots!"
Link Posted: 7/8/2005 9:28:46 PM EDT
[#19]
You indicate the LW system is lighter than the HK system.  Do you have a weight with an M4 barrel?  Any links to the LW website?
Link Posted: 7/8/2005 10:09:05 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 7/8/2005 10:12:43 PM EDT
[#21]
Larry, please contact me.  I have a line on a complete set of 416 sights.  Expensive, but..........

I know you are a do it yourself type of guy, but thought I would let you know.

[email protected]
Link Posted: 7/9/2005 7:19:07 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
LW web sight :

www.leitner-wise.com/products/556cp.htm

Why are you avoiding the question of how it shoots? If you haven't shot it yet, just say so but why the silence?
Link Posted: 7/9/2005 12:44:38 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:
LW web sight :

Why are you avoiding the question of how it shoots? If you haven't shot it yet, just say so but why the silence?

How is the poor man going to shoot his awsome weapon when he is still trying to get it put together?

QUESTION
Larry, does the HK 416 use the M4 Cut 14.5inch or a 16 inch? Which is your clone?
Link Posted: 7/9/2005 2:00:39 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
LW web sight :

How is the poor man going to shoot his awsome weapon when he is still trying to get it put together?

QUESTION
Larry, does the HK 416 use the M4 Cut 14.5inch or a 16 inch? Which is your clone?

his looks 16" and the HK416 looks 14.5"
Link Posted: 7/10/2005 6:15:17 AM EDT
[#25]
I think the 416 has been proto'ed in all 10.5, 14.5, 16 mid.
Link Posted: 7/10/2005 9:37:44 AM EDT
[#26]
It's just a regular COLT 6920 SEMI (M4A1) 16in barrel obviously.

Like i said in my first post the lower went to Tom Sawyer for engraving, the upper went to LW for the piston conversion, so its really a Piston-Colt 6920. The next one that i do I'll have the HK logo and all of the other stuff  HK puts on their lower receivers engraved on the next one."" COOLNESS FACTOR. ""

So, My friends and i took it out yesterday and stuck over 800 rounds through it on Auto, and on Bursting. The only problem we had was 2 rounds failed to Extract because the rims got torn off, and that only happened on the new generation Wolf we were using.

The one noticable thing about it was a noticable felt recoil, compared to the direct gas models. But truly the biggest problem out there yesterday was the heat. Hell the guns were hot to the touch before we even shot them, then the piston upper got so damn hot i had to start shooting with a glove. ( like all guns baking in the sun/ Auto shooting) but everybody loved it.
But what makes this conversion or any other piston conversion shine is that when we got home, after 800 rounds, it wasnt dirty at all, but compared to the 5 mags we put through the regular upper on Auto that thing was terribly filthy ( LIKE THAT WAS A BIG SURPRIZE ), We did have some  FTF, FTE, (Mag problems mostly, some of my friends are still holding on to WORN OUT 10 YEAR OLD GI MAGS) THROUGH THAT SH*T AWAY!!! I told them. GET NEW MAGS.

Like i said before i wish i had a PISTON 16 when i was in the Army. I wouldnt have carried a spare M16 Bolt Carrier Assembly in my hip pocket.

IT REALY DOSENT MATTER WHICH PISTON UPPER YOU GET, THEY ALL DO THE SAME THING, KEEPING ALL THAT CRAP OUT OF THE CHAMBER. AND THATS ALL THAT REALY MATTERS.

Link Posted: 7/10/2005 11:11:53 AM EDT
[#27]
Hey Larry - Thanks for the feedback, sounds sweet! one question...

The one noticable thing about it was a noticable felt recoil, compared to the direct gas models.

It was my understanding that the L-W conversion was supposed to lower felt recoil? Is that not the case?
Link Posted: 7/12/2005 9:14:37 PM EDT
[#28]
My understanding is that felt recoil is reduced with this system. Looking forward to hearing what you have to say about that Larry.

Link Posted: 7/12/2005 9:22:37 PM EDT
[#29]
JUST READ MY LAST POST.
Link Posted: 7/13/2005 5:49:21 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
LW web sight :

Thanks Larry!
Link Posted: 7/13/2005 5:55:36 AM EDT
[#31]
L-W indicates their M4ish piston carbine is 5.9lbs empty,  That is the same weight as an empty M4 with the direct gas system.

So this modification adds NO weight?  I'm surprised I expected as I would have guessed a few ounces would have to be added.
Link Posted: 7/13/2005 6:11:57 AM EDT
[#32]
YES, THE PUSH ROD ASSEMBLY ADDS SOME WEIGHT, But remenber, It also comes with THEIR LIGHTER BOLT CARRIER. " SO IT ALL EVENS OUT"

Link Posted: 7/13/2005 6:16:17 AM EDT
[#33]
Thanks!  I did not realize it came with it's own bolt carrier.  Sounds like a great system for those wanting a piston.
Link Posted: 7/13/2005 6:24:27 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
The next one that i do I'll have the HK logo and all of the other stuff  HK puts on their lower receivers engraved on the next one."" COOLNESS FACTOR. ""

Wouldn't that be trademark infringment and/or making an illegal knockoff?

Using HKs logo would be a bit iffy from a legal and trademark standpoint, would it not?

I mean we know you are doing it for a totally innocent purpose, but what would be the difference from a legal standpoint of making an knockoff Rolex or knockoff Microsoft Windows XP CD?

Never mind, now that I re-read my post it's pretty silly.

Just some thoughts, what you have done so far is very cool.
Link Posted: 7/13/2005 7:02:22 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
JUST READ MY LAST POST.

I did (a couple of times) but what you wrote about the felt recoil is not clear (to me anyway)

The one noticable thing about it was a noticable felt recoil, compared to the direct gas models.

Does that mean it has more or less felt recoil compared to a direct gas model?

Thanks
Link Posted: 7/13/2005 7:26:04 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:
JUST READ MY LAST POST.

I did (a couple of times) but what you wrote about the felt recoil is not clear (to me anyway)

Does that mean it has more or less felt recoil compared to a direct gas model?

Thanks

Yeah, I wos wondering the same thing actually.

Justin
Link Posted: 7/13/2005 7:41:43 AM EDT
[#37]
More felt recoil......

Sights? We don't need no steenkin' sights!
Link Posted: 7/13/2005 10:44:41 AM EDT
[#38]
YES IT KICKS "ALITTLE MORE" ,,,You have a Piston SLAPPING the Gas Block every time you shoot it.
Link Posted: 7/13/2005 10:52:39 AM EDT
[#39]
If H&K doesn't mind you trying to engrave their name on a Colt lower (or vice versa) I'm sure someone around here will really laugh.  With all of the people who want an H&K 416 simply because it's H&K and NOT because of how it holds up against rivals, you will have a large following.  The sh!t has really been stirred up regarding the whole "image" of H&K and how cool it is to have an H&K LW-AR clone.  I wish the best of luck to you!
Link Posted: 7/13/2005 10:54:41 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
YES IT KICKS "ALITTLE MORE" ,,,You have a Piston SLAPPING the Gas Block every time you shoot it.

How does that cause "a little more" reward recoil?  Wouldn't that just cause some forward motion after recoil?  
Link Posted: 7/13/2005 11:00:29 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

How does that cause "a little more" reward recoil?  Wouldn't that be forward recoil?  

or pro-coil
Link Posted: 7/13/2005 11:25:09 AM EDT
[#42]
OK, THE GUN MOVES MORE WHEN YOU SHOOT IT.
UP-REAR-FORWARD. Like any other PISTON WEAPON.
Link Posted: 7/13/2005 11:30:10 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

THANKS for the info
Link Posted: 7/13/2005 11:52:02 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Thanks for the follow-up.

Wonder why the pre-release info I read claimed recoil would be less? (not the recoil with a 5.56mm round is all that much anyway). Just curious
Link Posted: 7/13/2005 11:56:31 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks for the follow-up.

Wonder why the pre-release info I read claimed recoil would be less? (not the recoil with a 5.56mm round is all that much anyway). Just curious

I don’t see how a piston could shave off recoil. Direct gas system has just the BCG which is in line with the barrel, which is inline with the buffer/stock and shoulder.

Piston has reciprocating mass above the barrel in addition to the BCG. "UP-REAR-FORWARD" sounds about right
Link Posted: 7/13/2005 12:43:15 PM EDT
[#46]
I just came off the Carroll Co range in Westminster, MD.  I went down to do some testing after reading some posts about recoil in our weapons.  I still feel no increase in any of the piston driven bbl lengths.  What you may be feeling is a LONGER recoil impulse.  The gas piston system does reduce the cyclic rate a bit also but this is in FA shooting.  Fellow shooters present at the range agreed that our system (tested blind against a 16" direct impingement) had "smoother" recoil after conducting the Pepsi Challenge.  That having been said, 5.56mm is not a good cartridge to show the lower recoil of the system.  It is already a mouse gun.  If you fire the .499 standard system back-to-back against the .499 piston system, the difference is obvious.  Hopefully the AR10 gas piston weapons will demonstrate this better.
Link Posted: 7/20/2005 1:22:44 PM EDT
[#47]
Well the HK 416 Sights came in, The Front was sent with out a Base. So i had to use a Realy UGLY DPMS Detach. Front Sight, BUT LOVE THAT HK 416 REAR SIGHT

Link Posted: 7/20/2005 7:18:42 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
Well the HK 416 Sights came in, The Front was sent with out a Base. So i had to use a Realy UGLY DPMS Detach. Front Sight, BUT LOVE THAT HK 416 REAR SIGHT

www.area51-guns.com/photos/guns/2%20001.jpg

www.area51-guns.com/photos/guns/2%20003.jpg

Link Posted: 7/20/2005 7:48:26 PM EDT
[#49]
Larry, did you mention what you had to do to get the HK-style pictogram selector markings? Did you buy it that way or have someone do it for you later?

John
Link Posted: 7/20/2005 8:06:01 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
Larry, did you mention what you had to do to get the HK-style pictogram selector markings? Did you buy it that way or have someone do it for you later?

John

He's mentioned it quite a few times...read up...
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top