BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/21/2005 9:06:02 PM EDT
Well a buddy of mine got a commando style 11.5" Bushy w/ 5.5" FH a couple of months ago brand new. From the day he got it he had nothing but FTE problems. After a little research here I found out about the Crane O- ring. I thought hell for a buck I would order one for him from Adco. Well long story short we installed it today at the range and he fired about 600 round without a single FTE. Amazing what a little O - Ring can do
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 10:46:44 PM EDT
[#1]
maybe you should have checked the extractor spring to see if it was still good first.

but hey if it works it works
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 12:02:32 AM EDT
[#2]
Often times the extractor spring is perfectly fine and in spec, but needs a little help. Especially with SBRs.

The o-ring works grreat, and all my rifles use one.
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 12:05:22 AM EDT
[#3]
oops

re-read it and saw that this was a short bbl

i use the defender in mine which was included in a purchase
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 12:59:44 AM EDT
[#4]
25¢ at the local hardare store!
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 8:17:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Yeah the spring was fine as it was a brand new rifle. It just needed a little help. And I will gladly spend the extra whopping 75 cents  to get an O- Ring which is actually intended for this purpose rather than buy a hardware store O- ring which is not desined to withstand the heat of a firearm.
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 8:27:36 PM EDT
[#6]
my grandpa has an o-ring.
He sits on it constantly
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 8:29:03 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
25¢ at the local hardare store!

linky ?
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 8:49:16 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Yeah the spring was fine as it was a brand new rifle. It just needed a little help. And I will gladly spend the extra whopping 75 cents  to get an O- Ring which is actually intended for this purpose rather than buy a hardware store O- ring which is not desined to withstand the heat of a firearm.

I guarantee there is no company out there producing o-rings specifically for weapons use. If they did, they'd cost a lot more than $1 (hence the d-fender's price). The Crane o-ring is simply an o-ring commerically produced that just happened to fit "criteria" for an application.

What're the criteria?
1) Does it fit around your extractor spring?(If yes, then move to part 2)
2) Does it help with extraction? (If yes, then move to part 3)
3) Does it withstand heat? (If yes, then move to part 4)
4) Does it withstand solvents? (If yes, you're done. Buy a bag.)

From my experience, the overwhelming majority of o-rings found at the Home Depot & its ilk will fit these criteria.

I use hardware store O-rings in my hybrid rocket motors.

ETA: Another requirement
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 9:34:24 PM EDT
[#9]
cool. Gotta grab a bag at HD. anybody knows the size ?
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 11:37:10 PM EDT
[#10]
My 14.5" M4gery was having FTE problems (about 1 round in 150) during it's first 1000 rounds. I was using Silver Bear, but I'd like the rifle to be reliable with anything.

I want something to give the extractor a little extra "oomph" and cannot decide between the Crane O-Ring and the D-Fender. Is there any difference is benefit between these two products? I wouldn't think twice about spending the extra 11 bucks on the D-Fender over the crane ring if the D-Fender worked better.
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 4:18:42 AM EDT
[#11]
I'm running the ADCO CRANE O-ring in all my AR's with zero problems since they were installed. Even my 10.5" SBR has been dead nuts reliable.
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 4:23:43 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 5:01:31 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 5:34:30 AM EDT
[#14]
A Wolff extractor spring works just fine in my 14.5 without an "O" or "D" ring.....$20 for 10, now worries about heat or solvents.
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 5:51:26 AM EDT
[#15]
Is crane the same as defender?
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 5:54:18 AM EDT
[#16]
What's the difference from Crane O ring from the MGI D-fender?
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 5:57:37 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Is crane the same as defender?

no

crane o-rings are black, circular rubber rings for $1; defender are blue rubber-type D-shaped rings for $12

my bushy has never had any problems, but i put in an o-ring anyways--still no problems

+1 for o-rings and ADCO

oh, i would try the defender (i'm willing to put in some extra $$$s into insurance of reliability in my guns), just havent gotten around to it
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 7:47:30 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 2:27:19 PM EDT
[#19]
I bought both.

I figure if the cheaper solution doesn't fix things, I'll use the more expensive one.
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 2:55:26 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
I get a laugh out of these threads about the hardware stor O-rings. People spend hundreds/thousands of dollars on flash lights and optics(which do NOTHING to enhance reliability), but are concerned about an extra .85 cents on an O-ring that has proven its worth?

If the hardware store O-ring is good enough, so are tac-points and a maglight held in place with a weaver scope ring.

+1  It's all about the bling.

I have had two problematic AR uppers (one 16" carbine length gas system and one 20" rifle length gas system, BOTH chromelined, major "tier one/two" manufacturers yada, yada) that would either fail to extract from the getgo, or fail to extract after the chamber got a little dirty and hot (like after 20 rounds).  I didn't know of the O-ring, but saw the D-Fender for sale at Fulton Armory.  This product has eliminated my extraction problems where new extractor springs and extractors didn't.  I now keep a spare or two in my spare parts kit.
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 12:06:12 PM EDT
[#21]
Bear with me........o-rings and d-fenders.....what part do they go on?

Anyone have an online link which shows or explains the D-Fender?

Where can they be bought online?

Link Posted: 5/24/2005 12:11:48 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

The material is designed to have a specific(4x) increase in extractor tension in the AR15 extractor system, that has been determined thru testing to be the desired tension increase needed to enhance carbine extraction.
quote]

So I am assuming the d-fender has something to do with cartridge extractor and spring?

I just can't visualize where an oring would go near the extractor area/spring area.

Also: When replacing spring extractors with new ones, do the old springs just pull out?
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 1:23:31 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Quoted:

The material is designed to have a specific(4x) increase in extractor tension in the AR15 extractor system, that has been determined thru testing to be the desired tension increase needed to enhance carbine extraction.
quote]

So I am assuming the d-fender has something to do with cartridge extractor and spring?

I just can't visualize where an oring would go near the extractor area/spring area.

Also: When replacing spring extractors with new ones, do the old springs just pull out?

Take the bolt out of its carrier and you will see a pin that holds the extractor to the bolt.
Push that pin out, and lift off the extractor.
The spring will/should be 'stuck' to the extractor (the spring is wider where it fits into the extractor)
The o-ring/defender will go around the extractor spring to provide more oompf during extraction.
Re-assemble extractor onto bolt
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 2:08:07 PM EDT
[#24]
Gotcha, thanks.

I just ordered a d-fender and some extra power extractor springs.
I have never had a FTE problem, but why not upgrade!
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 2:34:59 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 2:46:50 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

If you take the bolt carrier out of your AR, and take the Bolt itself outta the carrier, there's a thing called an "extractor" on the bolt itself.  You knock out a little pin to remove it.  It is what's responsible for kicking the empty shells outta your gun after they are fired.  You'll notice there's a tiny little spring-like thing under the extractor when you take it off.  The upgrade extractor springs, and the o-rings and d-fender mentioned here go there.
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 3:58:38 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If you take the bolt carrier out of your AR, and take the Bolt itself outta the carrier, there's a thing called an "extractor" on the bolt itself.  You knock out a little pin to remove it.  It is what's responsible for kicking the empty shells outta your gun after they are fired.  You'll notice there's a tiny little spring-like thing under the extractor when you take it off.  The upgrade extractor springs, and the o-rings and d-fender mentioned here go there.

you are going to find LPD111 posting in the troublshooting forum now.  You had better get over there to help...
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 4:58:58 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 5/25/2005 1:45:48 PM EDT
[#29]
The D ring solved the dropped extraction issue for my problem-child 11.5.  Now runs perfect with anything.

I can understand that an O ring would work, too.  But I like the idea of using something that's been tested to over 30k rounds.  

My understanding of the Crane rejection was that it was based on cost.  In other words, it wasn't that the O ring tested out as a superior product.  When I think about my annual firearms budget it's clear that $13 isn't going to break the bank.  

Sam
Link Posted: 5/25/2005 2:33:02 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 5/25/2005 3:13:20 PM EDT
[#31]
I have no problem with the d-fender. I am sure it works as well as the O ring and is probably more durable......... But, being that in my case as well as my buddie's we don't depend on our AR's as duty weapons and trust our lives to them. Nor do we use them for home protection. They are simply plinkers that we go out and blow holes in paper targets with. I dont have an extraction problem so i dont use either an O ring or a D fender. If it aint broke dont fix it. Since he has had tons of problems we figured we would try out the cheaper alternative first to see if it made a difference. It made a huge one. Now for his use at least my buddy plans on sticking with the O ring. Heck even if it does wear out faster it does the job and you can buy 12 O rings for the price of a d-fender. Even if you change the O ring after every 500-1000 rounds thats still not going to set you back much. I mean for that price why not just stock up and change it every time you clean the weapon? Then you know its always in good shape.
Link Posted: 5/25/2005 3:15:52 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 5/25/2005 4:15:24 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 5/25/2005 4:49:16 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Personally, I would replace the bolt every 10K, and drop another $1 for a new O-Ring.

Steve, this seems very conservative to me.  I thought expected lifespan was around 30k or so, even with the extra wear and tear of the carbine gas tube lengths?  I realize this is going a bit OT, but what fails around 10k?  If the extractor why not just replace it?

Sam
Link Posted: 5/25/2005 5:01:00 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 5/25/2005 5:08:39 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 7/1/2005 7:29:02 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
I'm running the ADCO CRANE O-ring in all my AR's with zero problems since they were installed. Even my 10.5" SBR has been dead nuts reliable.

ADCO did me right with their Crane O-ring.

My 10.5" SBR runs flawlessly.
Link Posted: 7/1/2005 7:59:43 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I guarantee there is no company out there producing o-rings specifically for weapons use. If they did, they'd cost a lot more than $1 (hence the d-fender's price). The Crane o-ring is simply an o-ring commerically produced that just happened to fit "criteria" for an application.

What're the criteria?
1) Does it fit around your extractor spring?(If yes, then move to part 2)
2) Does it help with extraction? (If yes, then move to part 3)
3) Does it withstand heat? (If yes, then move to part 4)
4) Does it withstand solvents? (If yes, you're done. Buy a bag.)
From my experience, the overwhelming majority of o-rings found at the Home Depot & its ilk will fit these criteria.
I use hardware store O-rings in my hybrid rocket motors.
ETA: Another requirement

I dont know who makes them, or what they are, only that I get them from the same place CRANE does.  The .15 cent O-rings may work, but for an additional .85 cents most find its worth the peace of mind.   I get a laugh out of these threads about the hardware stor O-rings. People spend hundreds/thousands of dollars on flash lights and optics(which do NOTHING to enhance reliability), but are concerned about an extra .85 cents on an O-ring that has proven its worth?

If the hardware store O-ring is good enough, so are tac-points and a maglight held in place with a weaver scope ring.

I'll admit I'm biased because I sell them, but I'm not getting rich off these things.

If the lives of the soldiers who use these are trusted to a $1 O-Ring, thats enough for me.
www.besthdw.com/test/mod1stoship.jpg

I respect you, you own your own business and build awesome rifles.  But that reply is just lame.  There are many prodcuts out there that are relabeled as firearm specific when they are just generic off the shelf goods.

I understand its a product you sell and you want to back it up, but get real.
Link Posted: 7/1/2005 8:50:09 PM EDT
[#39]
There is a thread around here that stated LMT is now including Crane O-rings on their latest M16 BCG.

I just got a bunch of O-rings from ADCO and I installed them on my Colt, LMT and CMT bolts.
Link Posted: 7/1/2005 8:51:35 PM EDT
[#40]
i have a bunch of dfenders and they work great!

i didnt pay a thing for any of them so i have to say they are by far superior than any o-ring
Link Posted: 7/1/2005 8:57:55 PM EDT
[#41]
Are these redundant if you have an extra power extractor spring?
Link Posted: 7/1/2005 9:24:58 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Yes. If you have the Wolff spring you don't need the O-ring and vice versa.
Link Posted: 7/1/2005 10:08:57 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes. If you have the Wolff spring you don't need the O-ring and vice versa.

i think of the d-ring o-ring as added security.

if the spring fails the ring is there to pick up where the spring left off.

but then again to spend money on these things when there is no actual problem in with your rifle is also kinda redundant.
Link Posted: 7/1/2005 10:34:56 PM EDT
[#44]
Yep I dont run either in my rifle and it runs just fine. Yet my buddy's SBR will have ejection problems like a mofo without an O-ring.
Link Posted: 7/2/2005 4:01:15 AM EDT
[#45]
?
Link Posted: 7/2/2005 4:01:59 AM EDT
[#46]
!
Link Posted: 7/2/2005 4:06:24 AM EDT
[#47]
!
Link Posted: 7/2/2005 4:06:28 AM EDT
[#48]
!
Link Posted: 7/2/2005 7:37:38 AM EDT
[#49]
yeah?
Link Posted: 7/2/2005 7:52:27 AM EDT
[#50]
The "O" ring that Crane recommends is not made of any special material. Unless of course plain black rubber "O" rings from a hardware store are considered special. They work fine, I have seen M-4A1s with many thousands of rounds = alot with over 10K still using them and working fine. Does it really matter; yes it helps quite a bit. I put a new one on every time I change an extractor spring for about $ .05 ea. they are worth it. Do I know anything about the Defender not really, I guess works just fine also. Just depends on what you want and what makes you happy.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top