Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/7/2005 7:45:36 PM EDT
I got the chance to visit one of the major steel makers for colt and most other manufacturers.. Macsteel.  

I couldnt belive how into AR's they were in general, understanding all the details i could throw at them about the M4 forgings.. they discussed the hardness profiles.. and get this.

Colt informed Macsteel that the barrels from Macs process are far superior to others. This is due to Mac cooling the bars one at a time after they are cut to length.  Usually, a steel company cools one batch at a time in a very long 30+ foot length.  That causes different properties from batch to batch, end to end on the same barrel!

Anyway, since it was a scrap mill, they have an EAF (electric arc furnace) its so darn loud i had to squeeze my ear plugs down. bright enough you were not allowed to look directly at the electrodes (3 x 18" in diameter solid carbon).  It was hot, about 160F that i was roasting.

All in all, a great trip.  FYI i was there to view some suspension components they make for a program i work on for Ford.  Cool!!!
Link Posted: 4/8/2005 8:17:32 AM EDT
[#1]
Pics would have been AWESOME.

That sounded very interesting, i would have enjoyed that a LOT.

S
Link Posted: 4/8/2005 1:08:16 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm going there Monday morning at 7:30AM, I'll see what i can do.  Cameras are not allowed for obvious reasons but who knows.  I'll show him this thread.
Link Posted: 4/8/2005 1:26:07 PM EDT
[#3]
So they make the blanks for Colt and others? or 'ready to shoot' barrels?

any ideas who else they make for, and if there are different grades of product made?

Like grade-A to Colt and company X............. and grade-B to company Y - type of thing

just curious.

we appreciate your sharing this, as there has been a great deal of information/mis-information floated here lately on barrel making, and who does what.

IIRC, some said Bushmaster makes their own barrels in house, and that Colt did as well.

What's up with that?

Thanks, T-neck!
Link Posted: 4/8/2005 2:27:33 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Anyway, since it was a scrap mill, they have an EAF (electric arc furnace) its so darn loud i had to squeeze my ear plugs down. So bright you were not allowed to look directly at the electrodes (3 x 18" in diameter solid carbon).  It was so hot, 160F that i was roasting.

!

Yeah - it IS quite a noise - did you get to see them pour the pot?
Link Posted: 4/8/2005 4:30:10 PM EDT
[#5]
I might get to see the pot pour tomorrow Face_n_the_crowd, do you work at a steel mill?  I am going to ask Mark for some details.

I know they supply most the major manufacturers like remington, colt, etc and the major barrel mfgs.. They only supply the blank steel solid bars.

Redfisher, i hope to get as much information as possible - i'll bring these questions in with me.
Link Posted: 4/8/2005 4:39:25 PM EDT
[#6]
I visited the Rouge plant a long time ago, and our tour group got to see where they poured the steel into MASSIVE ingots-probably four or five feet wide and 25 or more feet long!  Yes, it was LOUD there, too-the whole scrap-to-steel process, and all they were making was steel for cars!  I have also visited the Flat Rock plant (I grew up in Flat Rock) while it was exclusively Ford, and it seemed to be even louder.  They did boast about having the largest electric steel furnace at the time...  Steel is fascinating, and I can still tell you when somebody's gotten steel hot enough to weld or pour just from the smell.

But to be where Colt barrel steel is made-WOW!  Please, please, please Macsteel, PLEASE let twistedneck take some pictures to post!
Link Posted: 4/8/2005 4:56:02 PM EDT
[#7]
I smell an arfcom field trip!
Link Posted: 4/8/2005 4:56:19 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I got the chance to visit one of the major steel makers for colt and most other manufacturers.. Macsteel. ........................................................

Anyway, since it was a scrap mill, ................................................

All in all, a great trip.  FYI i was there to view some suspension components they make for a program i work on for Ford.  Cool!!!

da-da-damn.  I knew Colt had the best scrap than anyone else.

Link Posted: 4/13/2005 5:24:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Hi everybody!

I'm the guy who took twisted neck on the tour of MacSteel.  My Name is Mark.  I have been working very closely with all the major gun manufacturers for the past 10+ years.  I must admit the people at Colt, Sturm Ruger, & Remington are some for the best people I have ever met in the business.  I'm in the process of moving but I'll answer all of your questions as soon as things settle down.  I'll get some pictures for everyone ASAP.  
Link Posted: 4/13/2005 5:42:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Tagged!
Link Posted: 4/13/2005 5:46:10 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Hi everybody!

I'm the guy who took twisted neck on the tour of MacSteel.  My Name is Mark.  I have been working very closely with all the major gun manufacturers for the past 10+ years.  I must admit the people at Colt, Sturm Ruger, & Remington are some for the best people I have ever met in the business.  I'm in the process of moving but I'll answer all of your questions as soon as things settle down.  I'll get some pictures for everyone ASAP.  

Now thats results!  Good work Twisted!  Now if I could only tag - damn gotta get that membership in the mail....
Link Posted: 4/13/2005 5:55:12 PM EDT
[#12]
tag
Link Posted: 4/13/2005 6:09:37 PM EDT
[#13]
This is a link to the MacSteel website --->WWW.MACSTEEL.COM.  you can see some limited pictures there.
Link Posted: 4/13/2005 6:24:18 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
This is a link to the MacSteel website --->WWW.MACSTEEL.COM.  you can see some limited pictures there.

tag
Link Posted: 4/13/2005 6:44:18 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Now if I could only tag - damn gotta get that membership in the mail....

Yup.....

TAG
Link Posted: 4/13/2005 6:48:39 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Hi everybody!

welcome!

prepare for a thorough brain picking!
Link Posted: 4/13/2005 6:54:39 PM EDT
[#17]
Now this here ..is an interesting topic
Link Posted: 4/13/2005 7:03:55 PM EDT
[#18]
Sounds like a good idea, cutting the barrels to rough length before cooling them down.

I worked cleanup at a steel mill where one of the products was rebar. It was extruded at about 60 MPH. When the machine misfed, we'd get up to 1200 feet of rebar wrapped around the machine in a huge tangle. After letting the mess cool down for a while, we'd go in and cut it apart with torches. It was still too hot to touch without gloves.
Link Posted: 4/13/2005 7:09:03 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I smell an arfcom field trip!

Screw that!

I smell an Arfcom Group Buy coming up!
Link Posted: 4/13/2005 7:11:16 PM EDT
[#20]
Is this the Mac Steel in Monroe, MI formaly known as North Star Steel?

If so i do work for them and will need to get into the plant some time for a tour.
Link Posted: 4/13/2005 7:11:42 PM EDT
[#21]
That would be very cool, or hot to see some red hot steaming barrel steel!!!  Please.
Link Posted: 4/13/2005 7:12:56 PM EDT
[#22]
I just checked out MACSTEEL’s home page.

Let me guess, the next Big Argument is going to be Chrome versus Nitro-steel barrels.
Link Posted: 4/13/2005 7:15:06 PM EDT
[#23]
tag
Link Posted: 4/14/2005 3:53:01 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
I just checked out MACSTEEL’s home page.

Let me guess, the next Big Argument is going to be Chrome versus Nitro-steel barrels.

I saw that too - no arguement, that NitroSteel looks like it kicks ass!
Link Posted: 4/14/2005 5:12:11 AM EDT
[#25]
super tag
Link Posted: 4/14/2005 5:24:21 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Is this the Mac Steel in Monroe, MI formaly known as North Star Steel?

If so i do work for them and will need to get into the plant some time for a tour.

Take a look at MACSTEEL's web site.  It says that North Star Steel in Monroe will now be known as MACSTEEL-Monroe.

Where in Monroe is this?  I grew up in Flat Rock, but all the steel facilities I knew were farther north.
Link Posted: 4/14/2005 5:31:57 AM EDT
[#27]
east elm street is the location of mac steel, formerly northstar steel

my friend hauls steel for them, 163000 gross weight, heavy

i have been to rouge steen, use to deliver lime for the furnaces thers, spent a lot of time watching the pots....

a friend was there when the steel plant got a load of assault weapons to destroy

right into the kiln...
Link Posted: 4/14/2005 5:49:29 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 8:35:37 AM EDT
[#29]
Hello all,

I'm sorry it took me well over a month the respond to anything but I'm ready to answer some of your questions.

As far as the material goes the most common grade for rifle barrels is 4140 with elevated levels of sulfure to aid in machinability.  However, some customers do use lower sulfur because of their process.  The receivers and cylinders for fire-arms are typically made out of 1137/38 material (High Sulfur). The material for the AR-15's is a modified 4150 with elevated Vanaduim.
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 1:51:48 PM EDT
[#30]
Hi Twistedneck

Expect questions regarding 4140 vs 4150 steel (does it really make a difference in a non sub gun), chrome lining, and generally barrel and steel quality differences among the major manufacturers.  I personally would like to learn more generally about the materials involved, and have a RRA 16" chrome lined M4 configuration that seems to work just fine.  

Regards,

Rick
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 4:19:10 PM EDT
[#31]
Hell, I live about 5 miles from macsteel. Shoot down 127 south a bit and you're there. Wonder if I can cut out the middleman?
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 4:24:24 PM EDT
[#32]
delete
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 4:32:27 PM EDT
[#33]
Tag.

Danny
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 4:37:22 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 8:09:33 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 8:36:56 AM EDT
[#36]
So uhhh... can they make nitro steel barrels?
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 11:23:39 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 12:43:20 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
So superior and yet not one top CMP shooter would be caught shooting a Colt barrel.

Just because Colt receives good material does not mean it processes the material the same way as other manufacturers.

Hopefully Macsteel1 (Mark) can answer that one.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top