User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 7
Link Posted: 6/12/2005 1:14:00 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Have you thought about testing a Gem-tech Bi-lock with and without the suppressor?

The bi-lock is just an A2 with wings, built with better precision.

I once asked Ron Smith if the tine vibration had anything to do with how the Vortex suppresses flash and this is what he had to say.

To: "Michael Simmons" <[email protected]>
Sent: Wednesday, February 26, 2003 10:08 AM
Subject: Re: Vortex operation

Mike,
Its a combination of things that makes the Vortex work, vibration, slot size
and postion, the right hand helix, heat treatment and material type. The
helix aids in the tighting under fire and much more, more than i can go in
to here. We do not have a ring for the old style Vortex, you see if one puts
a ring or closes of the open end of the Vortex, that will dimenish the flash
hidding capability. We expect to see the Vortex on every U.S. military M-4
and M-16A2 in the near future.

Ron

Link Posted: 6/12/2005 1:32:54 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I presume the "G" indicates Generation.  The Vortex G6 is the current production model as shown in Rsilvers tests.  The tines are squared off with smooth shoulders.  The Vortex G5 is identified by it's sharp ended tines and a groove around the circumference at the very end of the tines.  (See photo of the Vortec in my 4/22 post.)  It is unlikely that you will find merchants that still have the G5 in stock.  Don't know a thing about the G4.

Your off by one.  Here's G4, G5, and G6

G4

G5

G6

And now the latest and current G6A2

And for kicks, the original Vortex that had the expanding tines, not from bad heat treating as urban myth goes but due to the spiral cut in  slant cut undercut poor machining of the tines.
Link Posted: 6/12/2005 5:47:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Your off by one.  Here's G4, G5, and G6[\quote]
Thank you Mike.  Can you explain the differences between the G5, G6 and G6A2?  And is there a identification stamp (similar to the <YHM> stamp to help identify them an authentic SEI product?
Link Posted: 6/13/2005 12:26:21 AM EDT
[#4]
I don't recall seeing any markings on any of them, but it's been a while since I really looked.  This makes it hard to tell the real ones from the inobvious fakes.

The first model I recall is the G4, I don't know what came before.  The G4 has the brush band ring.  The G5 dumped the brush band and I think is structurally tougher, possibly more effective in reducing flash as well.  The G6 was made to combine the G5 and Surefire suppressor mount thus the ring near the base.  The G6A2 underwent some minor modification but I think it was supposed to increase the structural strength by a great degree (40%???).  I don't have one and I can't tell the difference from the picture, not to mention that pic was titled with "240" as in the model they make for the M240 so I wonder if the picture is correct in the first place, but that's what they show on the website. As usual my facts are fuzzy and probably misleading so don't take my word for it.  Hopefully someone more knowledgeable will chime in.

Flash suppression is not effected with straight slot muzzle devices

That's from SE's website so if you have a real early model which probably had straight tines, not to worry, the twist is only to make it self tightening (again, from their website) and can be had in both left and right hand twist.  Of course that kind of contradicts the letter I got above.  

I think CCF makes a straight tine model for 9mm (MP5?)

The Vortex incorporates a helix design essentially tightening itself when the weapon is fired and helps align exiting barrel gas to improve accuracy with all bullet types.

That part I believe as I have seen the effect first hand.
Link Posted: 6/13/2005 7:04:55 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/24/2005 8:50:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Not sure if it was mentioned, but I am curious as to the flash suppressing ability of the Levang linear compensator.

While I have read about the purported mechanism by which the typical FH works (mixing with cold surrounding air to cool combustion gases to below ignition temp), as a process engineer I have some questions on this.  Furthermore, looking at the Levang, it is the closest in design to what we use in industry as "flame arrestors" to stop flame propagation in piping.  Interestingly enough, flame propagation cannot be sustained below a certain pipe diameter even with the most combustible of materials (ethylene oxide for one).  This is how flame arrestors work, lots of little tubes in a honeycomb type arrangement, cause the flame to not be able to sustain propagation.  The multiple holes of the Levang mimics this.

Also, I have wondered about a totally different "flash hider" design, and if I were to prototype it, would Mr. Silver be willing to test it?
Link Posted: 6/25/2005 3:30:56 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

other than Wolf?  Wolf has very little flash, even out of my 11.5 pistol.  It is underloaded.

Never tried Wolf but Barnaul gives up a ball of fire in broad daylight without any flash hider attached to the muzzle.

Barnaul 223  is also underloaded. The Russians apparently do not know much about loading to 223 Remington specs let alone 5.56NATO.... and some of their rifles are even chambered to use 5.56x45 and .223, WTF over.

So the Phantoms are doing the best jobs at flash hiding and will not get caught in brush or snag on cord/lines?
Link Posted: 6/25/2005 3:41:46 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 6/25/2005 3:54:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks Tweak, I'm always in need of correction...
Link Posted: 6/25/2005 6:31:56 PM EDT
[#10]
I have the G4 on my 14.5 m-4 barrel and it works great with my night vision on. I'm surprised that the military doesn't have these flashhiders on all there m-4s.
Link Posted: 6/25/2005 7:00:29 PM EDT
[#11]
When I was talking to Ron Smith, he alluded to military use and basically said they would all be using the Vortex soon.

The most significant reason I see against the Vortex is that it can kick up dust when prone as opposed to a closed bottom flash suppressor like the A2 or Phantom.
Link Posted: 6/25/2005 7:43:06 PM EDT
[#12]
tagged
Link Posted: 6/26/2005 12:41:23 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 6/26/2005 12:46:54 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Right. That is my test of various ammos with no flash hider. Notice the XM193 flashes the most, which is why I picked it to test flash hiders this time.

I'm having a Vortex modified.  Was wondering if you're interested in doing a little side by side comparison to a factory Vortex?

Modified how so?

I'm getting it shorten.  Taking about 1/3 off the tines.

For now, it looks like this:

img94.exs.cx/img94/1612/dsc016524oh.jpg

Any particular reason you are shortening it?  Also, any test results?  I have Vortexes (Vortices?) on my M4 uppers to bring the Colt barrels to legal length (silver-brazed to meet with ATFs approval).

Link Posted: 6/26/2005 4:07:26 AM EDT
[#15]
He would have to get the price lower than Phantoms (under $15-$20 in quantity) before the military would likely consider them. At least that is what would make sense.
Link Posted: 6/26/2005 11:39:02 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 7/21/2005 8:15:05 AM EDT
[#17]
Taggity, Tag, Tag.  I wonder if Muzzle BRAKE photos will show any relative increase in flash?  I'm ordering a slew of Phantoms right now.
Link Posted: 7/21/2005 8:20:14 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
When I was talking to Ron Smith, he alluded to military use and basically said they would all be using the Vortex soon.

The most significant reason I see against the Vortex is that it can kick up dust when prone as opposed to a closed bottom flash suppressor like the A2 or Phantom.

Also this may have been debunked at ARFCOM, but the tines can get caught on stuff like webbing, para cord, and brush.

Unless there's a legit reason this is not a concern, I SERIOUSLY doubt the military will be using the Vortex in a widespread manner.
Link Posted: 7/21/2005 10:48:40 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 7/22/2005 12:31:24 PM EDT
[#20]
Has anyone tried the same supressor on light and heavy barrels of the same length?  Say a Bushmaster Superlight Carbine and a Bushmaster Heavy Barrel Carbine or 16" M4.  If barrel harmonics really plays a role in flash suppression, I'd expect a given flash suppressor to work better on the lighter barrel.
Link Posted: 7/22/2005 1:49:44 PM EDT
[#21]
You can't assume that it would be better or worse, only that it had more of an effect.  The weight of the muzzle device may take you closer or farther away from the point in the wave curve that will produce the best accuracy.

In anycase, a muzzle device like the Vortex can significantly increase your accuracy (I've noticed as have others to an even more significant degree) as it reduces the gas turbulance behind the exiting bullet, increasing stabilization and the time it takes to get there.
Link Posted: 7/22/2005 2:06:34 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
You can't assume that it would be better or worse, only that it had more of an effect.  The weight of the muzzle device may take you closer or farther away from the point in the wave curve that will produce the best accuracy.

In anycase, a muzzle device like the Vortex can significantly increase your accuracy (I've noticed as have others to an even more significant degree) as it reduces the gas turbulance behind the exiting bullet, increasing stabilization and the time it takes to get there.

I started a thread on this and the conclusion was that while it doesn't reduce the accuracy, it also doesn't significantly increase accuracy. Are there any threads/tests done to determine if the Vortex does increase accuracy? Supposedly Chuck Taylor gave his seal of approval on the Vortex.
Link Posted: 7/22/2005 3:16:27 PM EDT
[#23]
I also noticed something on rsilver's photos. While the Vortex reduces overall flash, it concentrates the flash towards the center and forward of the muzzle, potentially giving away the position of the shooter.

The Phantom dissipates that and spreads it into thin whicks of flash around the muzzle (sort of what the .gov wanted with the USGI A2/A1 flash hiders) so as to not concentrate the flash.
Link Posted: 7/22/2005 11:33:35 PM EDT
[#24]
So, what you're saying is that from the front, the flash reduction might be more important from the rear.  I suggest somebody do a series of pictures with the camera mounted in front of the muzzle to measure flash from there.  No, silly, not DIRECTLY in front of the muzzle or you're likely not to get a single picture out of it.  Just below the line of sight like where you'd put a chronograph.  As I don't have that many flash suppressors, I can't do the test.  Any volunteers?

Me, I don't think it would be significantly different.  From the rear, the fireball looks HUGE with an A2 Suppressor whereas with a short vortex (HK G36C) it was barely a flicker.
Link Posted: 7/23/2005 1:39:49 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
[I started a thread on this and the conclusion was that while it doesn't reduce the accuracy, it also doesn't significantly increase accuracy. Are there any threads/tests done to determine if the Vortex does increase accuracy? Supposedly Chuck Taylor gave his seal of approval on the Vortex.

The weight alone affecting the barrel harmonics may increase or reduce accuracy.  I myself have noted improvement in group accuracy when using the Vortex, up to .25 MOA.  However another member (it may have been Green0) noted an increase of up to or over .5-1MOA.  Perhaps it was due to the combination of the gas turbulence reduction added with a favorable change in barrel harmonics. I cannot definitively tell how much the increase in accuracy is due to the reduction in gas turbulence vs a change in barrel harmonics.  I have not seen published testing of the increase in accuracy due to using the Vortex, but I have had several acquaintances note an increase when using it.  The phenomena of gas turbulence reduction is a known effect and I have from time to time read print to that fact.  Of important note one article the effect was talked about and a recommendation to only hand tighten (8-10ft/lbs) the muzzle device otherwise torque on the barrel may become significant and have an impact on accuracy.

Typically a suppressor will increase a rifle's accuracy. Adding weight to the end of a rifle barrel tends to reduce the frequency of that barrel's harmonic vibrations. Additionally, a suppressor strips away the high velocity gases following the bullet. This has the effect of reducing the yaw imparted on the bullet as it exits the muzzle.
From www.canadiantactical.ca/technical.html though it is speaking of sound suppressors yet the principles are the same except instead of stripping gasses, it stabilizes them through the induction of ambient are through the slots.

It probably depends much on the flash suppressor design as to how much effect it has on accuracy apart from the weight changing barrel harmonics.  It may be significant to zero help.  I think in the end, the flash suppressors effect on accuracy through gas manipulation is almost insignificant when compared to the effect on barrel harmonics so I think your original premise is probably correct.

Link Posted: 7/31/2005 12:54:10 PM EDT
[#26]
Great info.  I bought the Phantom 5C2 from Brownells because of this info.  Thanks to all who contributed.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 12:58:22 PM EDT
[#27]
I'd like to see how this flash suppressor (the Noveske krink fs) compares to the vortex and other F/S.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 8:25:34 AM EDT
[#28]

Any thoughts on trying the KAC flash suppressor?  Just curious.

Bigfeet
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 8:03:13 AM EDT
[#29]
Great thread.  Mods - maybe this should be a sticky (if it isn't already).
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 8:32:31 AM EDT
[#30]
rsilvers,

To validate the photos, shoot at least 4 shots using the same FS.  That would validate whether there is any shot-to-shot variation in the photo's timing or the ammunition's flash.

If there is any difference using the same FS and ammo, then the difference noted between FS becomes less important and camera photo-timing and ammunition variables become moreso.

C97
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 9:27:02 PM EDT
[#31]
Tag
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 10:07:10 PM EDT
[#32]
tag
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 5:22:36 AM EDT
[#33]
This one should be tacked
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 12:44:04 PM EDT
[#34]
Didn't he say much earlier that he didn't have time so he stopped doing tests and pics?
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 11:56:47 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Most definately!
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 6:51:40 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Most definately!

Or repeatedly bumped.  
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 7:01:05 PM EDT
[#37]
Great testing guys!  Thanks
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 8:37:54 PM EDT
[#38]
Even though this topic is flash supressors, I'd like to see the same tests done with the more common muzzle brakes...

Love my Phantom 29!
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 3:00:16 AM EDT
[#39]
VERY COOL< THANKS FOR THE INFORMATION, VERY COOL INDEED
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 5:05:21 AM EDT
[#40]
+1 for a muzzle brake test!!  I am in the process of putting a Miculek brake on mine and I want to see how much money I wasted.
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 4:08:04 PM EDT
[#41]
I'd also like to see the Krinkov Flash Hider on a AR. Anyone got any pic of this?
Link Posted: 10/19/2005 12:06:58 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 10/19/2005 2:45:43 PM EDT
[#43]
Thats some Wild Stuff, Thanks for the information
Link Posted: 11/10/2005 2:38:00 PM EDT
[#44]
tag
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 2:13:04 PM EDT
[#45]
It looks like the next battery of tests needs to include the Phoenix and the krink definitely. These are the other two designs out there that have a healthy following and we need to see if they are warranted. Good thread,

MOD's TACK THIS THREAD!!!!!! (please)
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 2:18:22 PM EDT
[#46]
Also, can anyone get a video camera and do some comparative testing between the phantom and vortex with regards to how much dust is kicked up while prone. I have a feeling that unless you're REALLY low, you won't notice much difference. Also, can anyone come up with some credible examples of someone "snagging" their vortex. That's something that I've heard so many times over the years, but I've yet to encounter one person who says "yeah, it happened to me".
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 2:24:57 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
Also, can anyone get a video camera and do some comparative testing between the phantom and vortex with regards to how much dust is kicked up while prone. I have a feeling that unless you're REALLY low, you won't notice much difference. Also, can anyone come up with some credible examples of someone "snagging" their vortex. That's something that I've heard so many times over the years, but I've yet to encounter one person who says "yeah, it happened to me".

LOL I just made a post about that before reading this... Also the Vortex with the vents at 45 degree off angles have an almost identical vector of gasses as a Phantom with closed bottom.  The reduced prone signature idea is really silly IMO.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 2:26:08 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Any thoughts on trying the KAC flash suppressor?  Just curious.

Bigfeet

It is simply an A2 flash suppressor so look at those tests.  Same for the Gemtech Bilock and Surefire flash hiders.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 2:22:21 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 4:08:12 PM EDT
[#50]
Page / 7
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top