Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/6/2005 7:33:40 AM EDT
I'm building a rifle with a 20" A1 barrel and a collapsable stock. Which buffer should I use? Are carbine buffers okay to use with full length barrels?
Link Posted: 3/6/2005 1:04:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Anyone???????
Link Posted: 3/6/2005 1:09:52 PM EDT
[#2]
CAR buffer.
Link Posted: 3/6/2005 1:12:12 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
CAR buffer.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 3/6/2005 2:03:26 PM EDT
[#4]
The size of the buffer and buffer spring depends on the size of the buffer tube and has nothing to do with the length of the barrel.  If you tried to use a rifle length buffer in a carbine buffer tube you wouldn't be able to cycle the action enough to chamber a round.
Link Posted: 3/6/2005 5:57:47 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
The size of the buffer and buffer spring depends on the size of the buffer tube and has nothing to do with the length of the barrel.  If you tried to use a rifle length buffer in a carbine buffer tube you wouldn't be able to cycle the action enough to chamber a round.

Thanks for clarifying.

I was always under the impression that because the longer barrel generated more velocity (and conversely more energy back into the action) that you had to use either a stronger spring or heavier buffer if using a carbine buttstock. I guess it's quite obvious (apparently not to me ) that the buffer for a full sized gun wouldn't recoil far enough to cycle the action. Duh!

However, are there any other things to apply, such as a heavier buffer or recoil spring?
Link Posted: 3/6/2005 6:02:54 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I'm building a rifle with a 20" A1 barrel and a collapsable stock. Which buffer should I use? Are carbine buffers okay to use with full length barrels?

With most collapsible stocks you use a CAR buffer, and CAR spring.  I have a ACE SOCOM stock that uses a rifle buffer and spring.  The shorter ACE SOCOM M4 uses CAR buffers and springs.
Link Posted: 3/6/2005 6:16:20 PM EDT
[#7]
The CAR buffer, spring, and tube all go together.  They will work with 20", 16" (mid or normal), or other barrel lengths.  The gas port is different with various barrels to allow for proper functioning.

The standard Rifle buffer, spring, and tube all go together.  They, too, will work with any of the barrel lengths.
Link Posted: 3/7/2005 8:14:55 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I was always under the impression that because the longer barrel generated more velocity (and conversely more energy back into the action) that you had to use either a stronger spring or heavier buffer if using a carbine buttstock.  

You are mistaken.  The rifle length barrel puts the gas port much further down the barrel so there is less pressure pushing back againt the bolt and less pressure diverted into the gas system.
Link Posted: 3/7/2005 8:50:30 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I was always under the impression that because the longer barrel generated more velocity (and conversely more energy back into the action) that you had to use either a stronger spring or heavier buffer if using a carbine buttstock.  

You are mistaken.  The rifle length barrel puts the gas port much further down the barrel so there is less pressure pushing back againt the bolt and less pressure diverted into the gas system.

+1-- most folks around here will use a heavy buffer on shorter barrelled weapons and standard buffers on longer barrelled weapons.
Link Posted: 3/7/2005 10:59:01 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1-- most folks around here will use a heavy buffer on shorter barrelled weapons and standard buffers on longer barrelled weapons.

Oh shit, nothing like being 180 degrees from correct!

Thanks for the info guys. I happen to have a standard (not heavy) carbine buffer and spring I'll use. At least that much $$$ I can save!
Link Posted: 3/7/2005 11:05:26 AM EDT
[#11]
Carbine spring and H-Buffer seem to work fine in my MagPul on my 20" HBAR.

It works well with 55gr WWB and 69gr. Federal Match.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top