BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/11/2004 8:23:38 PM EDT
My experience started off at one of the Crossroads Gun shows in Phoenix this past August, when decided to buy a rifle from ASA, the configuration I wanted would require it being built after the ban expired. No big deal, I was going to get what I wanted at a price that was competitive.
The ban sunset and I called to see if there was a projected date for completion, they told me about 2 weeks as they would have to pull a barrel out of the production run and have it made to my specs.  2 weeks came and went when I called to see if I when I could pick up the rifle they told me it still wasn’t ready, flash hider still needed permanent installation and refinishing, and it would take a few more days to complete.  I let another week go by before the next phone call, the flash hider still was not done, got the “few more days” line again. That week Friday, through some sort of luck I was working in the area and decided to stop by and check on the rifle, with the hopes of it being done…it wasn’t…flash hider still wasn’t permanently attached, the sales person told me that the person who does the welding was in and would be able to do the work by the end of the day and that I could pick the rifle up on Saturday. Saturday I received a call...you guessed it…a few more days, the person had to leave on some sort of business and wouldn’t be back until Monday/Tuesday at which time he would be back to work to finish the job, I was then assured that the rifle would be ready by Wednesday. I told the sales person I would have to wait until the weekend to get it…he said ok.

Now let the fun begin!!

I arrived at the ASA shop at about 11:00 on Saturday with a buddy from work that also had an order due; we identified ourselves and what we were there to do. And low and behold neither project was finished, feeing a bit abused I asked “when is it going to be ready, as I am sick of waiting…” before I could finish the thought with “ I have been going by your shops own time line” the sales person cut me off with “cool your tone or I will have you leave my store”. I was taken back for a second but gave him the benefit of the doubt as I may have come off a bit strong. The sales person then went into a monologue raving the hider must be permanently attached and that he, and the law would not let the barrel leave with out being properly completed (all of which I knew since the August gun show), then he segwayed into a tirade that it was not worth his effort to complete the 4 orders he had that were similar to mine as it cut into their production run too much and then promptly offered to “tear up” the entire order. Since I was in the mood to buy and more importantly had the money I asked what is ready now I see some things that look similar to what I wanted, what else do you have available? The sales person brought down an M4 upper that I pointed out, it was close but after seeing the taper on the barrel I asked if he had any thing else, he then went into back and brought out an upper that was set up like I wanted less the flash hider (had an A2 brake instead). I then asked if the lower was done. It wasn’t, but there was some new stuff on display that would work. Then I noticed something…the upper he put in front of me was EXACTLY what buddy from work had ordered, remembering he was told it was not ready yet made me curious so I asked “was this upper off the shelf or did it belong to another order”. The sales person quickly reassured me that it was off the shelf and ready to go. Since my friend didn’t seem to mind if I got what appeared to be his upper and after deciding that the brake/hider really didn’t matter that much I chose to buy it….
In the process of reaching for my wallet the sales person flipped out. He grabbed up both of the uppers in front of me and told me to leave his store. He was not going to sell me a rifle and for me to take my business some place else. When I asked what is going on he said my question about the upper belonging to someone else was too insulting for him to bear and then reiterated he desire for me to leave his store! …As we left in a state of total bewilderment I wished him well and good luck selling his stuff. (If I have my way he is going to need it!!)

Lesson learned: Patience is a virtue but you only have one cheek you can turn to.
So don’t waste it on B/S... get a Bushmaster!!!

Al “556 in AZ” V.

Link Posted: 10/11/2004 8:26:58 PM EDT
[#1]
I could have save you some hassle and educated you on those folks... I sure wish they were reputable, but they are not.

I learned the hard way, too.

~Doug
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 8:46:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 8:47:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Damn. I have never heard anything like that before and I used to work customer service. If I were you, I'd file a complaint with the Beter Business Bureau and/or your local Chamber of Commerce. You just reassured me why trying to save a buck or two might cost you more in the long run.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 8:52:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Wow, what a bunch of assholes. I have a friend that ownes an ASA carbine and he thinks it's the shit even though it has broke and malfuctioned. Luckily I got on AR15.COM before I decided to build one and now know for an absolute fact to stay away from them.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 8:52:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Good info. I had heard similar experiances before, but it never hurts to pile on a lousy dealer.
Well, kharma is a bitch and poor customer service is it's own reward. Stick to the dealers on this board.

The safe list
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 9:01:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Do you know the name of the salesperson who flipped out on you?
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 9:18:43 PM EDT
[#7]
I didnt get the sales persons name but he was an older guy with graying shoulder length hair...but his name doesnt matter....he will see me at the next gun show talking to potental customers warning them of impending dangers....official complaints are prolly a waste of time...what rules asides from common sense  and good customer service did he break?? have a little faith as long as these crappy experiances keep happening to good people his market share will freeup soon enough!
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 9:22:52 PM EDT
[#8]
I learned the hard way after spending all of my money.  At least you made it out with your wallet in-tact.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 9:34:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Stick with the sponsors of this board. I have purchased from Adco and Legal Transfers. They will take care of you!!! I am sure the others will also. I just have not purchased from them YET!! But with any luck soon!!!

Steve
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 9:37:38 PM EDT
[#10]
i too am glad i am on ar15.com and have read about all of the b.s. from them.  i would probably have stopped by their store because i live really close to them, but won't since i have read all these horror stories.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 10:05:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Like EseLoco918 already said, you got out with your wallet intact, only got your feelers hurt.

I read about ASA’s poor quality and customer service here, but figured I’d stop by and check them out for myself. I had a similar experience with the way I was treated by their staff. I’m not looking for someone to pour on the sunshine, just someone to be real. That said, I did buy a 9mm arf mag block from them and it was a real piece of junk; not one dimension on the thing was correct. Right before I moved out of Arizona I met a guy who had an ASA arf and listing to him complain about all the problems was almost comical. Certainly not worth even considering their product.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 10:09:15 PM EDT
[#12]
i am amazed how some companies can stay in business...
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 10:50:02 PM EDT
[#13]
I'm amazed that there are still so many people out there who have not heard of all the complaints from ASA. I too have heard nothing but complaints about ASA for several years now....I wish that the gun show organizers would blacklist them....plus their products suck. I've seen, first hand, several of their uppers not work....

Link Posted: 10/12/2004 12:30:09 AM EDT
[#14]
Count yourself lucky that he kicked you out, If you had bought that rifle you'd be spending a lot more time at the shop trying to get it fixed.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 12:44:40 AM EDT
[#15]
Funny, I don't know who you dealt with but there is a gal who works for them at the shows and she's always been really helpful to me.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 1:09:37 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I could have save you some hassle and educated you on those folks... I sure wish they were reputable, but they are not.

I learned the hard way, too.

~Doug

+1
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 1:48:50 AM EDT
[#17]
I was too late to find out that my uncle had purchased a 24" upper from them....he hasn't put that many rds through it yet so I'd can't really comment....the bull barrel did seem to shoot crappy--even with handloads....the crown did seem a bit too shallow
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 3:03:58 AM EDT
[#18]
Why aren't they in the Hall of shame on AR15.com yet? or did I miss them in the list?
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 5:57:17 AM EDT
[#19]
I can't remember who said it first, but ASA usually stands for "Ass Spanking Ahead".
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 6:24:51 AM EDT
[#20]
Several years ago I accompanied the wife of a friend to a local gunshow to buy an AK. My friend was deployed with his guard unit and wanted to buy an AK so he sent his wife to buy the gun from them. Aloacl dealer saw me talking to his wife and explaining the gun to her. He refused the sale telling us he believed it to be a straw purchase for me and that I probably couldn't legally buy a firearm. He was rude as hell.

I told him I was an off duty LEO and was only helping a friend make a decision. I showed my ID (so he would know there weas no straw purchase) and he became even more obnoxious. We left and she took her business to a local dealer.

This guy then began telling other vendors I was ATF trying to set up the dealers (one of the State Troopers working the show in uniform tol me this (he was a friend of mine).

I made it a point to go by this jerks table every few minutes and made comments like "you're not doing straw sales are you?" "Are you sure you want to buy that gune from him?". His business suffered needless to say.

Anyway, next time you see long hair at the gun show, make a point to walk by his table and let others know about their business practices.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 7:29:14 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Funny, I don't know who you dealt with but there is a gal who works for them at the shows and she's always been really helpful to me.

If she has an accent (Weird cross between English and Australian) it's probably his daughter.  We used to call her "Damage Control" at the shows we'd do where ASA also had a display.

The last time I did a show with ASA was a Reno Hilton back around 2000 and her dad basically threatened to KILL a customer over a problem lol.

The daughter's really nice though
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 5:43:28 PM EDT
[#22]
After all these years and the horror stories I have heard I can't believe ASA (AKA Sun Valley Traders) are still in business.   From what I have heard back then he couldn't even sell firearms due to some type of legal action against him.  Not sure if it was the original owner though.  He sold a buddy of mine a kit that none of the parts would even fit.  Tried to tell him that hte lower was not in spec.  I installed a DPMS parts kit right in the lower.   Gas block was screwed up and so on so on...  ASA literally told him to go to hell.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 6:06:39 PM EDT
[#23]
If anyone remembers, I tried to provide info reguarding ASA so called warrantee. In essence, they do not warrantee that you will get the model AR you order, not that the components are what they claim. IE No warrantee, and yet a few wanted to defend the indefensible. Moral, read warantees, and look for loop holes, ASA has more than I have ever seen anywhere.
Jack
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 6:20:01 PM EDT
[#24]
Send them an e-mail:

[email protected]
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 6:20:48 PM EDT
[#25]
I hadn't heard of these guys before now.  I acutally can believe they are still in business if, as many of have already stated, the owner is so abusive; he frightens so many customers they walk away rather than seek damages.

Someday he'll pull that sh*t on someone crazier than he is, and then it'll be time.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 6:25:54 PM EDT
[#26]
I've been visiting this site for several years and have seen the ASA complaints from day one.
How they manage to stay in business is beyond me.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 6:31:35 PM EDT
[#27]
I own an ASA rifle i bought in 2000 and it shoots great, i also think BOB is an arrogant ass but he has never given me any hassle.

ASA goes through new sales staff about every other month.
There was a guy that worked there that hated BOB so much he would literally give the stuff away.
BTW, ASA uses a lot of rock river components.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 7:56:26 PM EDT
[#28]
I'd like to see him go bare knuckles with Ken from S.A.W.  
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 7:58:52 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
I'd like to see him go bare knuckles with Ken from S.A.W.  

I'd pay .32 cents cash money to see that fight.  Hell, I might even contribute a whole dollar!

Link Posted: 10/12/2004 8:28:02 PM EDT
[#30]
+1  for BUSHMASTER

now spread the word on this crappy company (ASA) thant BSed you
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 8:31:12 PM EDT
[#31]
ASA now uses RRA stripped uppers and lowers after LMT sued them for nonpayment and won.

ASA small parts are Chinese and their furniture comes from Chinese made molds.

ASA gets their barrels from Wilson but then their hacks have to cut the chamber and the gas port. They screw this up at least 60% of the time. I've seen ASA rifles that will close on a no-go guage and rifles with gas ports oblong and almost twice the size they should be.

Avoid ASA like the plague!
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 9:20:42 PM EDT
[#32]
Thanks for the post , I didn't know and was close to ordering one of their lowers for an A2 project.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 11:56:07 PM EDT
[#33]
Bob is a F******G A**Hole, I speak from experience.  Worthless piece of $#&@.  I have a lower that works.  Sold the upper at a loss.  I now own RRA, COLT, DPMS, Eagle Arms, and sold a Bushmaster all of which worked fine.  ASA=S**T!!!!
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 9:14:07 AM EDT
[#34]
ASA does make excellent junk guns........  good thing you made it out of there with your money still in hand.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 9:19:31 AM EDT
[#35]
ASA is crap.

There are plenty of local places to get what you want, and they'll sell you quality and treat you better.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 10:18:31 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
Why aren't they in the Hall of shame on AR15.com yet? or did I miss them in the list?

Where is the hall of shame?  I want to know who is good and who is bad?
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 10:36:44 AM EDT
[#37]
I suspect they manage to stay in business because the uninformed probably fall for those full page ads in the Shotgun News.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 10:39:17 AM EDT
[#38]
I was at a gunshow out here in Ca. a few years back and very nearly walked into the  middle of a dog fight.

LITERALLY.

I'm sitting there walking by ASA's table while quietly laughing to myself that these losers came out here to sell their shit at a gunshow post the 2000 AW sunset when all of a sudden I freeze, I hear a LOUD growling coming from under the table.

Little do I know there are two huge ass dogs down there that are growling and getting ready to fight another dog that belonged to a patron of the gunshow who was walking down the aisle as well.

These dogs were a freaking menace and I would not have hesitated to grab one of Bob's shitty assed upper assemblies and started to pound on one of those behemoth dogs should it have lunged out into the aisle.

After I did a pants check to see if I had pissed myself I began looking around for the notorious asshole to have words with him.    Sarah the blonde that everybody seems to think is so hot was yelling for him as well as she was pretty upset with the hairy mongrel hell spawn that Bob evidently saw fit to bring to the show.

I've been around these parts since late 1998 and as long as ASA has existed I have been hearing "Bob the asshole" stories.

If you gotta buy from somebody in Arizona check out Cav. Arms and friends.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 11:47:39 AM EDT
[#39]

These dogs were a freaking menace and I would not have hesitated to grab one of Bob's shitty assed upper assemblies and started to pound on one of those behemoth dogs should it have lunged out into the aisle.

So ASA's uppers are worth something.  
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 5:36:09 AM EDT
[#40]
Strangly enough Sarah was the one who sold me on the idea of their product!!
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 8:13:53 AM EDT
[#41]
man you have alot of patience i would have told him or her to stick that order where the sun dont shine. You made a good choice with the bushmaster i own 2 M4s
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 8:33:19 AM EDT
[#42]
bob at ASA hasent pissed off the right person yet? just a matter of time before some jumps over that counter and kicks his ass.Someone should just for selling that crap
Link Posted: 11/19/2004 1:38:48 AM EDT
[#43]
Bob is lucky that he does shows in "civilized" places where he is the king nutjob.  I can assure an a$$whipping for that crank and a fractured skull for his ill mannered dog at some of the lesser shows of the deep South.  He might even get worse (for him, not the buying public) in certain places.  I think the man needs medication and therapy.

Quoted:
bob at ASA hasent pissed off the right person yet? just a matter of time before some jumps over that counter and kicks his ass.Someone should just for selling that crap

Link Posted: 11/19/2004 2:45:20 PM EDT
[#44]
Why I decided not to buy from them:

Wouldn't send current catalog or price list.  

Hasn't updated site since '02.

If you want to do business w/ me you have to at least make an effort.
Link Posted: 11/19/2004 2:58:02 PM EDT
[#45]
Aimless commented that he heard bankruptcy was in the works for ASA. I checked PACER and they haven't filed yet.
Link Posted: 11/19/2004 3:09:24 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
Aimless commented that he heard bankruptcy was in the works for ASA. I checked PACER and they haven't filed yet.

This maybe so as I have not seem them at any of the recent gun shows in Reno, NV, 2 years ago they where always there.
Link Posted: 11/19/2004 3:22:27 PM EDT
[#47]
Fuck ASA and Fuck Bob
Link Posted: 11/19/2004 6:24:53 PM EDT
[#48]
Well said.

Quoted:
Fuck ASA and Fuck Bob

Link Posted: 11/19/2004 6:43:19 PM EDT
[#49]
How on earth does someone with such a crappy reputation stay in business for so long?  Earl
Link Posted: 11/19/2004 8:09:12 PM EDT
[#50]
My first AR was a parts gun I put together in 2001 with an ASA 20"HBAR upper and their lower parts kit.  I recently dropped the barrel off with a gunsmith to get the muzzle threaded and a brake put on, and asked the gunsmith to have a real close look at the barrel before I spent the money on the other work.  I haven't heard from them yet that the bore or chamber looks too bad as a result of crummy work, so I would assume the barrel is OK.

Anyway, when I got the rifle all put together in 2001, it turned out that the front sight was nowhere near straight, the rifle was shooting way the hell to the left.  If I cranked the rear sight in the A2 upper all the way over, I could just about get it right, but it's that kind of deal where you just feel kind of dirty, your gun ain't quite right.

I called them up and they said to ship it back, they'd make it right.  I didn't give them a chance, I just took the upper apart and put the barrel on a shelf until last week.  They were pretty civil on the phone, but since I din't follow through on the repair, I've no idea how their repair service would have been, or if they'd just as soon "lost" my upper.  

I didn't get totally screwed, but I won't buy from them again.  I wish I'd heard the horror stories of the way they do business before I gave them my money.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top