BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 9/28/2004 8:11:40 PM EDT
I have been debating this idea...what do you guys think?  Does anyone have any pictures?  I have been envisioning a "go-to" gun and was thinking about an A1 upper with an A1 barrel (which I have headed my way as we speak!!  ) but featuring a tele stock (Vltor specifically) based on the inevitability of changing attire...you know, being able to adjust the LOP because of thick clothing etc...

TIA
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 8:12:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Get a light barrel or the balance will suck. I personally think it sucked when I tried mine, I think A1 is better.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 8:14:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Point pre-determined .  That is one of the reasons I jumped on an A1 barrel (even a 1/12 )when I could.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 8:17:47 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I have been debating this idea...what do you guys think?  Does anyone have any pictures?  I have been envisioning a "go-to" gun and was thinking about an A1 upper with an A1 barrel (which I have headed my way as we speak!!  ) but featuring a tele stock (Vltor specifically) based on the inevitability of changing attire...you know, being able to adjust the LOP because of thick clothing etc...

TIA

An A1 barrel? 1:12? Ugh...

Aside from that, telestock on a 20" is absurd...
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 8:19:21 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

TIA

Why?  Can you elaborate on your opinions so that I may have the chance to understand?  I mean besides saying "YOU CAN'T USE HEAVY BULLETS!!!!"...yes I know that.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 8:19:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Short carbine buffers have more muzzle jump, stick with a rifle length buffer if you can, its much more stable under rapid fire.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 8:20:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Its ugly as sin too.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 8:22:50 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Short carbine buffers have more muzzle jump, stick with a rifle length buffer if you can, its much more stable under rapid fire.

So if the above statement is true, does it nullify the utility of a tele all together? I was under the impression they were all the craze because of their versatility, not to mention the sunset...
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 8:30:15 PM EDT
[#8]
It is versatile, but I have always used collapsible stocks on my carbines, and I only ever use two positions: closed and A1 length. I like them cause the ladies put it in a notch and most of my buddies pul it out one notch from my favorite setting.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 8:36:12 PM EDT
[#9]
So is having that tele on your carbine disadvantageous, because you experience more muzzle jump?

But everybody loves tele stocks based on their versatility…evidently omitting the attempt to make a 20" more versatile...

uh oh....
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 8:38:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Its a trade off, and you need to find what works for you. FWIW, the carbines rarely make the sproinging noise of a full size buffer.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 10:04:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Someone has to have pics, I have seen it before.  

I think a light weight ( A1) 20" KISS rifle with a tele would be the best SHTF gun...at least for the outdoors.

BTW, the 1/12 doesn't bother me as I have a large stockpile of M193, not to mention it served us well in Nam.

Oh yah, alot of the SUPER COOL SPRs have tele stocks...remember, they have an 18" barrel...

Link Posted: 9/29/2004 6:58:11 AM EDT
[#12]
I have a 20" as well that I'm interested in making more versatile with some sort of varying length stock. I'd like to see some pics as well.

C
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 7:11:06 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

I have a poster in my room of a Marine holding an M-16 with a tele-stock.  Looks fine.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 7:27:16 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Its ugly as sin too.

I'm with you somewhat, but it sure does look cool with a Dissy type setup.  Of course the Beta mag helps in this particular pic:

Link Posted: 9/29/2004 7:35:45 AM EDT
[#15]
Plain and simple, it is God-awful. If you want any sort of use out of the stock than the telestock is far and away the worst thing you could opt for on ANY black rifle. I refer to comfort and cheek weld in particular. If anything, consider an adjustable stock, e.g. Magpul, Vltor, etc. The ONLY reasons for a telestock's existence (IMO) is for a purist's classic looing stock rifle, and for bottom of the barrel cheapskates.

I have a 20" and "all the rage" for me was the FS and bayonet lug.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 7:40:58 AM EDT
[#16]
That's one cool looking Dissy.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 7:42:17 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Oh yah, alot of the SUPER COOL SPRs have tele stocks...remember, they have an 18" barrel...

OK I see where the problem lies. You consider any adjustable stock for an AR to be a telestock. From an operational point of view you could be correct as all the high-dollar adjustable stocks telescope in and out like the original telestock. Many of us draw a line in the sand between the standard issue carbine stock the "telestock" and the better crafted and more expensive "adjustable stocks".  

If you want to put a monstrous "Frankenstock" like an adjustable clubfoot on your 20" rig you have the features you want, a better choice than a "telestock" and it doesn't look like a bat's ass. Just don't put a standard telestock on the damn thing!!!
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 8:16:05 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 8:20:00 AM EDT
[#19]
<tag>

I'll slap one together when I get home and post pics.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 8:25:22 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 8:39:22 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Its ugly as sin too.

Oh I beg to differ Jack.  Greentip's rifle is a thing of beauty:

tinypic.com/2hx75

Nah, take 2 of those rifles, but put clubfoot stock on one and then compare them. No contest.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 8:47:04 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 9:02:22 AM EDT
[#23]
For those times when a 20" wants to feel like a 16", use a tele-stock.  
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 9:14:53 AM EDT
[#24]
Fixed stocks are retarded.

Go for versatility, and put on a telestock. If you're concerned about the buffer issue, go for an HBuffer or even 9mm buffer. It's not going to matter so much anyway; you've got the 20" gas system. The "issues" are entirely overblown.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 9:33:01 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 9:39:35 AM EDT
[#26]
The balance will be off but it will work fine. The aesthetics to me a awkward but your opinion is the only one that matters when it comes to how good something looks.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 10:07:23 AM EDT
[#27]
So what weight carbine buffer would be the most reliable with the 20" gas system?  A normal carbine weight I am thinking.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 10:45:05 AM EDT
[#28]
If you like having a collapsible on a 20" then stand up to peer-pressure and install one!

Who cares what somebody on the internet thinks it looks like?
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 11:16:48 AM EDT
[#29]
i always thought people put fixed stocks on their rifles because it wasn't a preban.....

i figure the 11 pounds of shit i ,and damn near everyone else, have hanging off the front of my 16" causes more of a balance problem than a 20" with a collapsable/adjustable (it's the same goddamn thing!) would.

don't like the way it looks?
are we starting queer eye for the black rifle?
"bunch of slack jawed faggots around here"
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 11:56:07 AM EDT
[#30]
....       /\
...     / .  \
..   /-   - \
...      |  |  
...      |  |
...      |  |
...      |  |
...      |  |     HAHAHAHAHAHAHAhe
                also, that dissy with the beta looks like a big weiner
                now i understand why all my friends think ar's are "cock-extensions" and generally an overkill
              (until they shoot mine, of course)
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 12:04:27 PM EDT
[#31]
Most of the haters in this thread have shown their ass and lack of knowledge.

With the advent of the Magpul 93A there really is little use for a fixed stock of any sort.  The wobble and cheek weld issues are non-existant with this stock.  The only thing a fixed stock does that this one can't (for the momen) is allow you to store things in the butt, however I never did that with my A2s anyway.

Other than a Cavarms, I won't be going back to a fixed stock, and intend to mount a SPR/SAM/Recce/Varmint upper on the exact same lower, with Magpul, as my M4.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 1:03:21 PM EDT
[#32]
fixed stocks are fine if yon never have to worry about length of pull due to gear.

Link Posted: 9/29/2004 5:49:15 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
fixed stocks are fine if yon never have to worry about length of pull due to gear.

img.villagephotos.com/p/2004-9/827623/AR1520TA012.JPG

Excactly my point...
BTW nice rifle.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 6:23:12 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

img.villagephotos.com/p/2004-9/827623/AR1520TA012.JPG

Add an ARMS 40 and you've got what I want (but cant afford) to build

Nice rifle  
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 7:11:13 PM EDT
[#35]
thanks guys. i tried running BUIS with the TA01 but it puts the scope to far forward for me.  at 6-4 i need all the room i can get! i wish trijicon would make a TA11 with the TA01 reticle.

i know the old A1 skinny 1in12 barrel is not the lastest fade in barrel flavors but all i shoot is 55gr bullets and it makes for a lighter weapon but i've tried the colt Hbar route and the groups weren't any different.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 7:15:05 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
thanks guys. i tried running BUIS with the TA01 but it puts the scope to far forward for me.  at 6-4 i need all the room i can get! i wish trijicon would make a TA11 with the TA01 reticle.

you could try a Magpul stock.  At full extension it's actually LONGER than A2.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 10:38:58 PM EDT
[#37]
I am glad there are others who appreciate the 1/12 A1 profile barrels...

Link Posted: 9/29/2004 10:50:45 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

TIA

Why?  Can you elaborate on your opinions so that I may have the chance to understand?  I mean besides saying "YOU CAN'T USE HEAVY BULLETS!!!!"...yes I know that.

Because heavy bullets are 'where it's at' as far as .223 & accuracy are concerned... And for 1:12, 62gr (weather M855 or Wolf) is 'too heavy'...

Unless you want to be perminantly confined to 55gr and lighter, at least get a 1:9 barrel, prefferably 1:7.

As for the CAR stock, with it comes the CAR buffer, which is designed for a CAR sized rifle... On a full-sized gun, the full-sized buffer provides a smoother action & more controllable fire...
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 10:52:35 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
So is having that tele on your carbine disadvantageous, because you experience more muzzle jump?

But everybody loves tele stocks based on their versatility…evidently omitting the attempt to make a 20" more versatile...

uh oh....

The muzzle jump issue is more of a problem with the 20" gas system, and a 14.5-16" bbl is short enough that you're not really looking for accuracy anyway...

Link Posted: 9/29/2004 10:59:13 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
i always thought people put fixed stocks on their rifles because it wasn't a preban.....

i figure the 11 pounds of shit i ,and damn near everyone else, have hanging off the front of my 16" causes more of a balance problem than a 20" with a collapsable/adjustable (it's the same goddamn thing!) would.

don't like the way it looks?
are we starting queer eye for the black rifle?
"bunch of slack jawed faggots around here"

People put fixed-stocks on 20" guns because 20" military rifles have fixed (A2 length) stocks...

Of course, I'm the kind of guy with the EXTRA weaight in his 20" stock for balance, so...
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 2:22:08 AM EDT
[#41]
Well how about an ACE Boom Tube?  Maybe they'll start making them again since the ban is gone.  Damn ATF said they were collapsible even though it takes an allen key and after you cut it to length you only get about one inch of travel.  I cut mine o the length of pull I like when shooting in a T-Shirt and then cut the foam back the thickness of an Interceptor vest.  Works like a charm.  In fact I think it's gonna go on my M16 for my upcoming deployment.

sorry for the crappy pick I'll try to get a better one when I go home on leave
Link Posted: 11/6/2004 5:14:19 AM EDT
[#42]
Does the 6 position stock have more spread than the 4? In other words, does the 6 go shorter and longer than the 4?

Thanks
M4-AK
Link Posted: 11/6/2004 7:45:57 AM EDT
[#43]
Personally, and this is just my opinion (which is worth what you're paying for it), I don't like telestocks or folding stocks.  In my experience, anything that folds, or telescopes, or otherwise collapses has inherent weaknesses.  I like my gear to be as strong as possible.

But like I said, this opinion is worth what you paid for it.

Link Posted: 11/6/2004 10:52:54 AM EDT
[#44]
chewbacca

I think this is the gun you were refering to in your original post. I also like the A1 barrel ( owned 8 ) Folks here seem to thing that use of the M193 55 gr bullets are a problem. I think otherwise. The Govt. doesn't issue me ammo and I find most of us shoot the 55 gr bullets to the exclusion of others. If you are a long range competive marksman, well that's another discussion.
This rifle is very handy and points well. Good to go as shown. You would be pleased.

I actually prefer this rifle with the ACE stock for looks and feel.

Link Posted: 11/6/2004 11:46:53 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 11/6/2004 3:08:32 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
If you like having a collapsible on a 20" then stand up to peer-pressure and install one!

Who cares what somebody on the internet thinks it looks like?

+1
Link Posted: 11/6/2004 4:51:43 PM EDT
[#47]
Looks like S**T
Link Posted: 11/6/2004 4:59:43 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 11/6/2004 5:04:38 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
Looks like S**T

You sound like one of those metro guys who paints their nails....

Anyways I was over at the shop today and threw a 20" upper on a lower that had a tele-stock on it. The upper was a govt profile flat-top.

#1 No balance problems, and it swung very nicely. I suspected that it may over swing due to the weight when changing from point to point but it didnt seem to.

#2  Having the long sight radious is great, I discovered that a 16" standard sight radius totally covers a man size target at 300 yards. With the 20" you will be able to see the target around the sight!

#3 The recoil impulse on a 16" is totally different than a 20".  Its not a matter of recoil control as some stated earlier its simple physics. A 16" gas system is operating at nearly double the gas pressure that a 20" is. Not to mention that a 20" has greatly improved terminal ballistics.

#4 I found in a carbine class last month that when shooting with armor and an LBE having an adjustable stock will enable you to stay square with your target keeping your armor and plates facing foward "where they need to be"

So quit crying that it doesnt "Look Cool" having a tele-stock on any rifle is a very practical solution.
Link Posted: 11/6/2004 5:33:14 PM EDT
[#50]
This reminds me a bit of the pre-AWBsunset debate, where it was discussed that after the setting, use/development  of adjustable stocks would drop like a rock because people only wanted them because they couldn't have them.  

Now, after the setting, people like me can afford to have a full featured rifle for the first time(woo hoo!!!!) and I have to say I wouldn't be able to go without an adjustable stock on ANY rifle.  I'm 5'11", my wife is 4'11", I like to shoot sometimes just for acuracy, sometimes for fast tapping fun.  The ability to adjust a stock to fit the current use and situation, prone, sitting, or standing, is something I cant beleive I went so long without!!!!!!

An M4 stock will definitly be on the 20" I build!

Tex78
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top