Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/16/2004 4:11:26 PM EDT
I am looking at getting a DPMS M4 upper( 1 in 7" twist, chrome lined etc.)  I have read good range reveiws, but none including the extreme use and abuse of a 500+ round count rifle course.  So that is what I am searching for.  My question if you have personal experience with this upper in this type of use is obviously;  

How did it go?  Any problems?  If so, what problems?  What ammo were you using?

Thanks!

Tex78

Link Posted: 8/16/2004 5:00:48 PM EDT
[#1]
How about actual combat in Iraq?  Is that good enough for you?

See the thread below and pay attention to Tangochaser's posts.

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=194614

I've also ran my CMMG upper through several 1200+ round practice sessions doing drill after drill running Pat Rogers' MEU(SOC) qualification tests and other drills and mine has never missed a beat even when using Wolf ammo!
Link Posted: 8/16/2004 5:53:49 PM EDT
[#2]

Thats what I'm lookin for!  

Didn't know thats what Tangochaser was using!
Link Posted: 8/16/2004 6:04:43 PM EDT
[#3]
I have one of the DPMS M4 uppers. It works fine, so long as it is lubed. My SIR wouldn't fit on it though.
Link Posted: 8/16/2004 6:27:30 PM EDT
[#4]
I have  one  like mention above,  it has worked perfectly since day one, it even digest wolf ammo.

1200 rds in a three days  period without cleaning, no  problems at all.

TG

Link Posted: 8/17/2004 12:48:57 AM EDT
[#5]
I just odered one for my BN S3. It showed up w few days ago. Get this, It came with M4 feed ramp cuts, chrome barrel, numbered flat top upper, and 1/7 twist. CMMG substituted a carry handle for the bolt carrier assy.

The senior security guy for USA Environmental (Former SF) has a 10.3" CMMG upper and it runs a like a scalded dog.
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 3:02:21 AM EDT
[#6]
I ran mine through a 3 day class at Blackwater back in June and it was perfect.  Nice upper.
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 5:14:27 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 5:16:11 AM EDT
[#8]
How do the DPMS CMMG upper's compare to an LMT?  I was planning on getting an LMT, but I have heard that the DPMS uppers from CMMG run flawlessly.  Post your thoughts, this sounds like a really tough choice.

Edit:  Sorry for the hijack.
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 5:37:04 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
How do the DPMS CMMG upper's compare to an LMT?  I was planning on getting an LMT, but I have heard that the DPMS uppers from CMMG run flawlessly.  Post your thoughts, this sounds like a really tough choice.

I have both: a 14.5" CMMG M4 upper & a 14.5" LMT M4 upper.  At this point my CMMG upper is on my primary carbine because it's broken in, has been flawless (with the exception of an extractor spring problem with my Colt bolt) and has take all the abuse I've thrown at it.  I went to Blackwater for a 3 day carbine class in which I did not clean it during that time.  It has eaten Wolf, PMC, Q3131A, IMI855 & XM193 all in the same day and was so disgustingly filthy I spent the whole Two Towers extended edition cleaning it!  It looks a little beat up but still shoots way better than I do.  To be honest there isn't much noticable difference between my CMMG & LMT uppers.  I would get another one in a hearbeat and just may after September 13th
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 6:07:42 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I have both: a 14.5" CMMG M4 upper & a 14.5" LMT M4 upper.  At this point my CMMG upper is on my primary carbine because it's broken in, has been flawless (with the exception of an extractor spring problem with my Colt bolt) and has take all the abuse I've thrown at it.  I went to Blackwater for a 3 day carbine class in which I did not clean it during that time.  It has eaten Wolf, PMC, Q3131A, IMI855 & XM193 all in the same day and was so disgustingly filthy I spent the whole Two Towers extended edition cleaning it!  It looks a little beat up but still shoots way better than I do.  To be honest there isn't much noticable difference between my CMMG & LMT uppers.  I would get another one in a hearbeat and just may after September 13th

Should I got CMMG or LMT?  If I went CMMG I wouldn't be able to get a YHM rail at the same time as the purchase.
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 6:14:38 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Should I got CMMG or LMT?  If I went CMMG I wouldn't be able to get a YHM rail at the same time as the purchase.

My advice would be to order the CMMG upper with the YHM rail.  You will not be disappointed and you'll get exactly what you want all in one shot.  You can order an LMT upper for your next build
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 6:15:51 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

My advice would be to order the CMMG upper with the YHM rail.  You will not be disappointed and you'll get exactly what you want all in one shot.  You can order an LMT upper for your next build

So, basically you are saying that they are pretty close and I wouldn't notice the difference?
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 6:19:10 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

So, basically you are saying that they are pretty close and I wouldn't notice the difference?

Yes, that is what I'm saying  The other factor is you mentioned you wanted a YHM rail and if  you can get it installed and shipped all in one deal then that is the way to go.  It will save you time and money in the long run.  

Don't get me wrong, LMT is nice...very nice but between the two (LMT & CMMG) that I have there isn't any noticable difference.  Guys like C4iGrant carry LMT and offer great prices and CS too so either way you won't lose.  But if you are set on the YHM then go with CMMG cuz they carry both and will build it up and send it out ASAP.
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 6:24:28 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes, that is what I'm saying  The other factor is you mentioned you wanted a YHM rail and if  you can get it installed and shipped all in one deal then that is the way to go.  It will save you time and money in the long run.  

Don't get me wrong, LMT is nice...very nice but between the two (LMT & CMMG) that I have there isn't any noticable difference.  Guys like C4iGrant carry LMT and offer great prices and CS too so either way you won't lose.  But if you are set on the YHM then go with CMMG cuz they carry both and will build it up and send it out ASAP.

I was planning on getting the LMT with YHM built from Bravocomp.  Since, you said that CMMG will do the same then, well, I'm going to have to ponder the world of M4s some more, I guess.  
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 6:31:01 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I was planning on getting the LMT with YHM built from Bravocomp.  Since, you said that CMMG will do the same then, well, I'm going to have to ponder the world of M4s some more, I guess.  

I've done business with both and both are outstanding so either way you will get a great product at a great price while supporting those that support this site.  You could just flip a coin...heads for CMMG and tails for BravoCompanyUSA
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 6:39:59 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I've done business with both and both are outstanding so either way you will get a great product at a great price while supporting those that support this site.  You could just flip a coin...heads for CMMG and tails for BravoCompanyUSA

Well, I am going to toss CMMG an e-mail or 2 and see price, what I'm getting, ect.

Thanks for not letting me look over another great company!  
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 7:39:32 AM EDT
[#17]
I have a 14.5" w/perm phantom on mine (chrome 1/7) and it has had zero malfunctions in 1400 rounds. I have run failure drills until it was too hot to hold, and still had no problems. Shipping from CMMG to IL was almost next day. CMMG followup on questions was also very quick and accurate. While I do not have a LMT upper to compare, I am extremely pleased with my CMMG upper, and personally know of two others with similar experiences.

edit: Forgot to add that I have fired 500 rds XM855, 400 rds Wolf, 500 rds XM193. And my SIR 51C fits perfectly.
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 10:36:54 AM EDT
[#18]
I as well have one of the DPMS 14.5" 1:7" barrel.  Have ran everything through it without a hitch.  It loves wolf too! (or maybe that's me)  either way, 700rd (old wolf) one day, no cleaning, then next another 500rd.  No hiccups due to barrel or even gun (except a shitty mag i've got.)  As of now the barrel has 2100rd through it and still kicken... another 1000rd case is on it's way for my lead disposal method.  My upper has been put on a reg. lower to run some FA testing... it had no problems at all.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top