Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/3/2004 4:25:14 PM EDT
After having the SIR 50 for close to a year and firing several thousand rounds with it, I've only run into two small issues with it.  

1. The raised upper rail.
2. Battery changes.

I've found that I prefer the upper receiver and rail to be one level.  This will allow me more options when mounting optics and allow me to change the batteries on my EOTech 552 without having to remove it from the rail.

The ability to use more of top rail is more of what I'm after.  I want to be able to vary the location of the optic on the rail; this will also help to better balance the weapon and allow for a consistant cheekweld with other optics like the ACOG TA31, which I hope to aquire in the near future.

Though it's possible to mount the EOTech on the high rail it puts the sight bit higher so your cheekweld needs to be adjusted.  Using the chinweld isn't to bad and it's easy enough to adjust too but my problem with this is that I loose the ablity to co-witness the irons and this something I do not like.

As far as the battery changes goes I've only had to change the batteries twice so it wasn't a big deal but I think it's an excellent advantage to have.  Note, this is not a problem if you have the EOTech 551 or the archaic Aimpoint.

Overall, I found the SIR to be an excellent robust rail system and it functions as advertised.  I still like the SIR a lot and will probaly have another AR setup with one in the future.

With these issues in mind I'll be taking my own medicine and try the FF-RAS MRE to see how well it will work for me.  I’ve been itching for a FF-MRE for a long time now and I’ve been drooling over the various pics of it I’ve seen here so I decided to get one installed. Damn you SMGLee, USMC03, Duffy, bsbg and the rest you members of the MRE Posse!

Now back to our story, basically Eric Rice at Adco Firearms offered me a deal on the FF-RAS MRE that I couldn't refuse.  I removed the SIR 50 and shipped my CMMG upper to them last Friday and lo and behold I have it back in my hands today!  Steve at Adco did an awesome job getting everything installed, checked and shipped in record time.

I feel the FF-RAS MRE gives my carbine a nice balanced feel with more rail real estate available.  I was able to mount my EOTech 552 closer to the middle of the weapon thus enhancing the balance which should make it faster when engaging multiple targets.

Since I use the Surefire M900a vertical grip/light combo I will also try running the MRE without the rail panels.  I think this will increase the air flow for better cooling and also further lighten my carbine.

While my upper was there I decided to go ahead and swap the cast FSB to a forged one.  Well, Steve with his machinist closely examined the CMMG/DPMS cast FSB and told me it was the best cast FSB he’d ever seen and he felt that it was extremely well made. He also told me that if I was ever in a SHTF situation that FSB was the last thing I would need to worry about!  Steve recommended keeping my FSB and spending the money on ammo instead! I really appreciate Steve’s honesty and he saved me quite a bit on this project.

I guess all of you other CMMG upper owners don’t need to worry about the cast FSB after all!

I also had Steve measure the gas port on my CMMG upper and it came in at 5/64”.  I figured some of you other CMMG upper owners would like to know this.

Adco is a first class business with excellent service.  I want to thank Eric and Steve working with me on this project and for being patient and answering all my all my questions.  I will be doing business with them again and I highly recommend that you give them a try for your next AR project.

Weather and my wife permitting, I hope to get this bad boy out on the range this weekend.   So stay tuned for a range report.

Now for your favorite part the pics!

Here’s what I found when I got home! Notice my clever HP box, it was very low profile the sheeple at the UPS Store never even questioned me about it.

Here’s the upper with the MRE installed!

Here’s how it looked before.

Here’s how my carbine looks now!  She looks meaner and leaner if I do say so myself!

Link Posted: 3/3/2004 4:44:03 PM EDT
[#1]
sweet[beer]
Link Posted: 3/3/2004 4:47:02 PM EDT
[#2]
That is a great looking weapon! [8D]
Link Posted: 3/3/2004 4:51:31 PM EDT
[#3]
It looked great before... but now, damn, it looks awesome.
Link Posted: 3/3/2004 5:00:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Looks great!

What sling is that you are using?
Link Posted: 3/3/2004 5:06:23 PM EDT
[#5]
I think it's a marked improvement! [:)]

-Cap'n
Link Posted: 3/3/2004 5:10:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Sweet MRE [:D]

Welcome to the club!

Link Posted: 3/3/2004 5:16:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Ok there Yojimbo - You're killing me! 6 months to a year ago I decided I was going to build the bad ass SHTF AR that I always wanted. Your gun specifically was the one that inspired me, made the most sense to me and is what I've fashioned mine after. Now that I have almost all the parts you start changing things and make me question my decisions!!! HOW DARE YOU!!! [:)]

Seriously. I have bought everything except for the SIR and EOtech. I am confident in my decision on getting the 552 and was so even before reading about your original project but you where the most influential person in my decision for the #50. I am going to be very interested in what you have to say about this RAS unit as you use it more and how the two compare.

The battery issue can be just as easily remedied by using a flip up front sight but having never seen an ARMS #50 in person, I was concerned about how far forward the EOtech mounts.

Question, what is the reasoning for the extra pieces surrounding and in front of the FSB?

Thanks,

BTW - Where abouts in Ohio are you?
Link Posted: 3/3/2004 5:19:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Yojimbo, looks good!

I can't wait to finsih up the carbine I am on and get some pics up.  Then it is on to the MRE on a Colt M4!

Just curious, what was the turn around time on that?
Link Posted: 3/3/2004 5:23:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Whats the rail assembly forward of the FSB? Ive never seen one and I cant find it listed on adcos site? If it just mounts to the barrel im gona have to get one =) !!!!!

Viper out..........
Link Posted: 3/3/2004 5:27:07 PM EDT
[#10]
very nice!
Link Posted: 3/3/2004 5:31:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Yojimbo - I'm getting ready to send my upper to ADCO for an MRE installation and your pictures are just what I needed, thanks!
Link Posted: 3/3/2004 5:49:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Every time I would see pics of your rifle I would think to myself; "Dang, that rifle must be muzzle heavy"!

Congratulations on your new configuration.
Link Posted: 3/3/2004 5:51:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Great combo of parts, you can't go wrong with a MRE. I have two of them [:)]
Link Posted: 3/3/2004 5:53:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Whats the rail assembly forward of the FSB? Ive never seen one and I cant find it listed on adcos site? If it just mounts to the barrel im gona have to get one =) !!!!!

Viper out..........
View Quote

Installation requires complete upper disassembly, including removing the Front sight base.

Some past threads for those who missed 'em or can't find the search button [;)].

[url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=12&t=170004&w=searchPop[/url]

[url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=12&t=177703&w=searchPop[/url]

[url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=12&t=180844&w=searchPop[/url]

[url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=12&t=179955&w=searchPop[/url]
Link Posted: 3/3/2004 6:10:01 PM EDT
[#15]
Thanks everyone for the nice comments!

Wipeput,

That my friend is the super secret, double classified Yojimbo SOCOM Tactical Single Point Sling in a new tactical color that I call Ronin Black Pearl.  I can make one for you for only $199.95 and shipping is free!

Seriously it's a home made sling using 1.5" black webbing I got from the surplus store.  It's patterned after the Giles single point with quick release buckles that I also bought at the surplus store.  It cost me about $6!

airgunner,

LOL!  It's funny how things change isn't it?  I try to keep an open mind, believe it or not I thought about it long and hard before switching.  Like I said I still like the SIR rails systems too.

I'm in central Ohio, in a Columbus suburb.

mattld,

I shipped it on last Friday, the MRE was installed on Monday and Steve shipped it back on Tuesday and I got it today!  Is that fast enough?

Viper,

The extended rail forms what I call the ARFCOM Holy Avenger Crusader Cross! It is the last thing Tango scum see When looking down the muzzle of an MRE equipped AR! They soon realize that the game is over and they will not go to heaven nor will they have a harem of virgins, they will not pass "GO" and collect $200!

Actually, it gives rifles with the carbine gas systems more rail space to mount accessories and what not.

AKM,

Believe me, the the SIR 50 did not feel too muzzle heavy for me.  I had no problem using it with one arm.

Link Posted: 3/3/2004 6:11:54 PM EDT
[#16]
Very nice!

I have (2) MRE projects in work as we speak.

Is the barrel a 14.5" ?
Link Posted: 3/3/2004 6:41:14 PM EDT
[#17]
ch11x,

The barrel is a 16" 1/7 twist.
Link Posted: 3/3/2004 7:52:53 PM EDT
[#18]
IM friggin pissed. I have been waiting to finish my MRE-configuration for probably a good 6 weeks now. I went and spent everything to get it done. Now the lousey less than $100 stripped lower I ordered from Rock River has been on back order almost as long. I've got every lastr friggin thing I need but they cant get me a dang lower in more than 6 weeks? WTF mate?!
Link Posted: 3/3/2004 8:16:51 PM EDT
[#19]
For a guy that has almost everything AR15: [nana] to NAG [:d]

Nice one Jimbo [:)]
Link Posted: 3/3/2004 8:33:09 PM EDT
[#20]
... Uber capital setup [b]Yojimbo[/b]!
Link Posted: 3/3/2004 8:52:06 PM EDT
[#21]
Sweet!  I like both versions...
Link Posted: 3/3/2004 9:01:04 PM EDT
[#22]
Man, Im just jealous his MRE gun is done (and looking sweet) while mine sits in peices over in a corner waiting for a stripped lower.
Link Posted: 3/3/2004 10:46:19 PM EDT
[#23]
May I ask how much the transformation cost and what was replaced and installed for the cost?

BTW: Nice setup.

Thanks,

ASR
Link Posted: 3/4/2004 2:28:10 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
The extended rail forms what I call the ARFCOM Holy Avenger Crusader Cross! It is the last thing Tango scum see When looking down the muzzle of an MRE equipped AR! They soon realize that the game is over and they will not go to heaven nor will they have a harem of virgins, they will not pass "GO" and collect $200!

View Quote

[LOL]
Link Posted: 3/4/2004 3:03:47 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
IM friggin pissed. I have been waiting to finish my MRE-configuration for probably a good 6 weeks now. I went and spent everything to get it done. Now the lousey less than $100 stripped lower I ordered from Rock River has been on back order almost as long. I've got every lastr friggin thing I need but they cant get me a dang lower in more than 6 weeks? WTF mate?!
View Quote

Just out of curiosity why didn’t you get your RRA lower from one of the site dealers like Pete, Steve or Eagle Firearms?  I know Pete and Eagle Firearms  had lowers in stock just 3 weeks ago.
Link Posted: 3/4/2004 4:26:09 AM EDT
[#26]
NAG,

Don't worry I feel the exact same way everytime I see your rifles and carbines...[BD][;)]

On second thought why not temporarily put one of your other lowers on your MRE upper so you try it and put a few rounds through it while your waiting on RRA?
Link Posted: 3/4/2004 5:46:39 AM EDT
[#27]
VERY NICE!!

I really liked the previous version but this is MUCH nicer!

Have fun, and good luck convincing the wife.
Link Posted: 3/4/2004 8:27:21 AM EDT
[#28]
Yojimbo,
Those are both great looking setups.
Just wondering what you did with the SIR #50?
Are you looking to sell it?
Thanks
Link Posted: 3/4/2004 9:03:18 AM EDT
[#29]
Skeeters65,

I still have my SIR 50 and may be selling it soon if all works well with the MRE.[;)]

Link Posted: 3/4/2004 9:03:54 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 3/4/2004 9:11:23 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Looking good, Yojimbo.

Thanks for the kind words.

I recently switched to the MRE, as well. So far, so good.

[url]www.appliedinc.com/mre_bw1.jpg[/url]

[url]www.appliedinc.com/mre_bw2.jpg[/url]
View Quote

Oh man, I can't take it anymore...Steve my upper will be on the way in a week or so [bounce]
Link Posted: 3/4/2004 9:16:00 AM EDT
[#32]
Sweet setup Yojimbo!  I like ARMS and all but the DD and KAC forends have been my focus from day one.  Your rifle looks great and I'm sure it's quite the shooter, congrats!

Quoted:
While my upper was there I decided to go ahead and swap the cast FSB to a forged one.  Well, Steve with his machinist closely examined the CMMG/DPMS cast FSB and told me it was the best cast FSB he’d ever seen and he felt that it was extremely well made. He also told me that if I was ever in a SHTF situation that FSB was the last thing I would need to worry about!  Steve recommended keeping my FSB and spending the money on ammo instead! I really appreciate Steve’s honesty and he saved me quite a bit on this project.

I guess all of you other CMMG upper owners don’t need to worry about the cast FSB after all!
View Quote

I have been saying from the start there is a HUGE difference between a poor casting and a good casting.  I've got the CMMG/DPMS upper and have mentioned before how much I have slammed this FSB with a hammer, hit it on walls, etc.  It will not break easily.  A forging is still stronger though which is nice if you're jumping out of Helos.

I also had Steve measure the gas port on my CMMG upper and it came in at 5/64”.  I figured some of you other CMMG upper owners would like to know this.
View Quote

.078125,  well within acceptable range, good to know.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 3/4/2004 9:24:44 AM EDT
[#33]
Yojimbo,
I really want a SIR #45 but if the price is right on your #50. Let me know when you are ready to get rid of it.
Thanks.
Edited for typo I meant #45
Link Posted: 3/4/2004 9:40:20 AM EDT
[#34]
Skeeter, check you IM[:D]

Eric,

Your carbine looks great too!  I like the way the Magpul stock and the ACOG look with the MRE!  I need an ACOG....[BD]
Link Posted: 3/4/2004 10:01:17 AM EDT
[#35]
Bling bling! Baby! Bling Bling
Link Posted: 3/4/2004 10:34:11 AM EDT
[#36]
Looks great Jimbo, very cool looking rifle with that EOTech and MRE.

With allthe MRE on the board, I will have to sell my and get a MRP from LMT.  I got to be different!!!
Link Posted: 3/4/2004 11:05:04 AM EDT
[#37]
All I can say is Jack won't be happy! [:D]

and I hope you can live with the inferior cooling capabilities, and the non removable rails, and the.........

Anyway it looks great, I'm sure you'll love it especially with the Eotech.

Quoted:
Looks great Jimbo, very cool looking rifle with that EOTech and MRE.

With allthe MRE on the board, I will have to sell my and get a MRP from LMT.  I got to be different!!!
View Quote

SMGLee, I think we're [b]all[/b] saving up for one of these. You might have to get a Hesse if you want to be different! [:D] [BD]
Link Posted: 3/4/2004 11:09:10 AM EDT
[#38]
Was looking at pics of your rifle some more.  Just thought I'd add I'm extremely jealous of the Tango Down battlegrip crunchy goodness on your (and others) rifles.  Got one, tried very hard but I can't get comfortable with the hump/arc on it.  It's worse to own something and not be able to use when you really want to than to not own it at all!

Congrats again on the very nice rifle!
Link Posted: 3/4/2004 2:18:28 PM EDT
[#39]
[img]www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid90/p1b545f4efa65fc8d69da460446924097/fa73f776.jpg[/img]

Don't nobody say nothin' about the optics setup [:p]  The Aimpoint and TA01NSN are on seperate rifles now.
Link Posted: 3/4/2004 3:30:23 PM EDT
[#40]
Awesome rifle, I can't wait for my MRE project to be finished. Thanks for the photos.
Link Posted: 3/4/2004 3:32:42 PM EDT
[#41]
wyv3en,

I know what you mean I feel the same way about the SIR.  I really wanted to like it and I wanted it to work for me but alas, I think the KAC is a better fit for my needs...
Link Posted: 3/14/2004 4:23:52 PM EDT
[#42]
Well I finally made it to range this weekend and I was able to put about 300 rounds through my carbine.  

The temp was around 35 degrees and it was nice and sunny with very litte wind.

Ammo was Federal XM193 LOT 36.

First, I had to reset IBZ on my irons and EOTech 552.  

My irons took about 10 rounds to rezero.  I had to move the point of impact to the left slightly.  It looks like it's even straighter than before I sent it to Steve! After adjusting the windage the aperature was right about centered on my Arms 40a.  The EOTech 552 also took 10 rounds to zero, just like always it was a breeze.

BTW, I also installed a Fulton Armory Tungsten H buffer to slow down the bolt/carrier just a tad to increase extraction releiability. Not, that I was experiencing any extraction issues but it's better now right?  It worked flawlessy so no surprises there.  The only change I noticed was that all the brass made a nice pile at about 4 o'clock and 7 feet back.  Prior to the H buffer the brass was getting kicked out at around 2 o'clock. Recoil also seemed smoother and the muzzle rise also seemed less than with the standard carbine buffer.

Here's the best 100 yard group of the day.  Mind you I don't shoot this well all the time and my carbine was about as sandbagged as a German machine gun position on Normandy!

Don't forget, this group was shot with XM193 55gr!  So for the last time, YES, the 1/7 twist will shoot 55gr with no problems! That CMMG barrel KICKS ASS!

The pic below shows my average 100 yard 10 round groups with XM193 from the prone position.  Yes, I use the 50 yard targets because I can see them better.

My off hand groups were sucking big time so I was happy to keep it M.O.P.P(Minute of Paper Plate)!  

So now you know, I'm not a Sub-MOA shooting badass like the rest of you guys, I hope you guys still like me...

Once again I can't say how much I appreciate the help from Steve and Eric of ADCO in getting this project completed!  

Thanks ADCO!

Finally the after cleaning glamour shot...

Link Posted: 3/14/2004 7:49:32 PM EDT
[#43]
That's wicked looking. Is it possible to get that set up with out the rails forward of the front sight? Website?
Link Posted: 3/14/2004 8:01:16 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
That's wicked looking. Is it possible to get that set up with out the rails forward of the front sight? Website?
View Quote

Yes, you can get the "front filler tube (w/out rail)", but most MRE kits come w/ the rails, top and bottom.  I forget how much weight difference there is, but it is only a couple of ounces.

[url]http://www.impactguns.com/store/product1401.html[/url]

Link Posted: 3/14/2004 8:09:26 PM EDT
[#45]
Yojimbo,
Between your AR, Knife, and your arms, You are one mean looking dude.
Link Posted: 3/14/2004 10:06:57 PM EDT
[#46]
Mine is finally all together! I still would like a sling and forward sling mount for it, but I am really really liking it. Pics and range report will surely follow as soon as I get a chance!

I didnt go through another online dealer only because I didnt know it was going to be such a wait. I was told two weeks was as long as I would wait. I was not in a hurry so I was not worried. 2 weeks turned into about 7...
Link Posted: 3/15/2004 4:42:14 AM EDT
[#47]
FL-AR15,

LOL!

I guess I'm one of those guys that people look at and wonder why the hell Mrs. Yojimbo is with me.[:D][;)]

NAG,

That sounds great I can't wait to see your setup!  

BTW, what shoulder stock did you go with for your MRE project?
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top