BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/2/2004 1:42:45 PM EDT
If I underdstand what I just read on NewsMax...the AWB is dead and will not be renewed...am I nuts or is that correct.
*****Senate Republicans Scuttle Tainted Gun Bill
NewsMax.com Wires
Tuesday, Mar. 2, 2004
WASHINGTON – Senate Republicans scuttled an election-year bill to immunize the gun industry from lawsuits Tuesday after Democrats amended it to extend a ban on what they call "assault weapons" and require background checks on all buyers at private gun shows.
National Rifle Association began pressuring senators to vote against the bill after Democrats won votes on the two key gun control measures. The 90-8 vote against the bill virtually ends any chance for gun legislation to make through Congress this year.

"I now believe it is so dramatically wounded that I would urge my colleagues to vote against it," said Sen. Larry Craig, R-Idaho, the sponsor of the gunmaker immunity bill.

Democrats won close votes on their amendments to change the Republican legislation, a strategy aimed at pressuring the GOP-dominated House to accept the restrictions to gain passage of the gunmaker-immunity bill.

Though Democrats won't get the extension on the gun ban and the gun show legislation, they called the vote a success. "Look, everyone's between a rock and a hard place," said Sen. Charles Schumer, D-N.Y. "The immunity bill was a terrible bill. We're better off at the end of the day than we were at the beginning of the day."

© 2004 Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
Link Posted: 3/2/2004 1:56:06 PM EDT
[#1]
I had a dream like that once there was this winning lottery ticket and these 3 naked bi supermodels .
Link Posted: 3/2/2004 2:05:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Just resigned from the National Republican Senatorial Committee---Don't want any of my contributions or membership fees going to those Republicans who ignored the President when he asked for a clean bill!!
 The person on the phone at NRSC headquarters said the emails, faxes and calls were pouring in today right after the vote---none of them positive. Perhaps there ARE enough of us to make a few heads turn.
 AWB is dead but so is protection from lawsuits. Would rather have had both.
                      Greg
Link Posted: 3/2/2004 2:14:29 PM EDT
[#3]
THE 10 YEAR NIGHTMARE IS OVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 3/2/2004 2:17:33 PM EDT
[#4]
YAHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
PARTY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 3/2/2004 2:22:14 PM EDT
[#5]
is this for real?
Link Posted: 3/2/2004 2:22:40 PM EDT
[#6]
I view it like this:

Many states have their own laws preventing such suits.   Others are getting their suits thrown out of courts with alarming regularity.

On September 14, we will get back something we've been missing for the past ten years.

And lose nothing in return.

I view this as a victory, albeit a qualified one.

And the best part is, Slimestain and Shitmer's pet project is DEAD.

CJ

CJ
Link Posted: 3/2/2004 2:24:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Well thats not what was displayed on my MSN. The title says "Senate Votes to Extend the ASS ban...... I have not read it but title looks bad...Here is a link

Also AR15.com home page says the Senate Voted to Extend the Ban....What Gives. I guess i'll go read

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/4429245/
Link Posted: 3/2/2004 2:26:36 PM EDT
[#8]
By JESSE J. HOLLAND, Associated Press Writer

WASHINGTON - Senate Republicans scuttled an election-year bill to immunize the gun industry from lawsuits Tuesday after Democrats amended it to extend an assault weapons ban and require background checks on all buyers at private gun shows.

AP Photo

Kerry Urges Assault Weapons Ban
(AP Video)

The National Rifle Association began pressuring senators to vote against the bill after Democrats won votes on the two key gun control measures. The 90-8 vote against the bill virtually ends any chance for gun legislation to make through Congress this year.

"I now believe it is so dramatically wounded that I would urge my colleagues to vote against it," said Sen. Larry Craig, R-Idaho, the sponsor of the gunmaker immunity bill.

Democrats won close votes on their amendments to change the Republican legislation, a strategy aimed at pressuring the GOP-dominated House to accept the restrictions to gain passage of the gunmaker-immunity bill.

While Democrats won't get the gun ban extension and the gun show legislation, they called the vote a success. Sen. Charles Schumer, D-N.Y., said, "The immunity bill was a terrible bill. We're better off at the end of the day than we were at the beginning of the day."

Underlining the importance of the day to Democrats, presidential contenders John Kerry (news - web sites) of Massachusetts and John Edwards (news - web sites) of North Carolina broke away from the campaign trail to cast their first Senate votes of the year, joining the 52-47 majority on the assault weapons ban and the 53-46 majority on the gun show bill.

A dozen Republican senators voted for one or both of the provisions, allowing minority Democrats to gain victories on the amendments.

The House last year passed a bill to shield gunmakers and dealers from liability suits by crime victims. But Republican leaders in the House refused to allow a vote on continuing for another decade the assault weapons ban, which is to expire in September.

Democrats had hoped their victories in the Senate on gun shows and assault weapons would force Republicans to let the House also vote on them. But the White House said the two amendments would only kill the effort to immunize the gun industry from lawsuits.

"Some are simply more interested in undermining that piece of legislation than they are in necessarily getting the other legislation passed," White House spokesman Scott McClellan said Tuesday.

woohoo, major victory, as i see it we need to still stay careful, but as long as no new bills are passed it looks like the AWB WILL sunset!
Link Posted: 3/2/2004 2:29:46 PM EDT
[#9]
One step at a time, if the AWB is dead we just need to keep the pressure up on the lawsuits. I think the people in the states like kalifornia and new York need to take them to court and sue the hell out of them for crapping on their civil liberties pertaining to gun control. Its already been found those laws are unconstitutional. SUE SUE SUE
Link Posted: 3/2/2004 2:38:22 PM EDT
[#10]
There's threads on here saying it's renewed, threads saying it's not, I just read that the bill the renewal was attached to was rejected.... So where's the renewal?
Link Posted: 3/2/2004 2:43:08 PM EDT
[#11]
ok, as i see it, the bad news, where everyone freaked out was the attachment to the gun bill was voted in to the bill which would renewal the AWB. the Good news, that everyone seems happy about, is that bill the AWB extension was attached to was Killed, and will not pass.
Link Posted: 3/2/2004 2:47:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Very simply, Feinstein's amendment to renew the AW ban has been defeated as it was part of a bill that was defeated.   That the amendment ITSELF was passed earlier makes no difference.

The AW ban, as it sits right now, WILL sunset.

Congressional rules PROHIBIT a bill from being reintroduced in the same year if it is voted down, so the ban will NOT be extended, period.

Simplest possible answer:  The AW ban will sunset. That is the result of today's activities.

CJ
Link Posted: 3/2/2004 2:51:23 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Very simply, Feinstein's amendment to renew the AW ban has been defeated as it was part of a bill that was defeated.   That the amendment ITSELF was passed earlier makes no difference.

The AW ban, as it sits right now, WILL sunset.

Congressional rules PROHIBIT a bill from being reintroduced in the same year if it is voted down, so the ban will NOT be extended, period.

Simplest possible answer:  The AW ban will sunset. That is the result of today's activities.

CJ
View Quote

That's how I read it, and why I was so confused about the threads saying it was renewed.[:\]
Link Posted: 3/2/2004 2:51:33 PM EDT
[#14]
time to bust out the bubbly and pop the corks!

also save a lot of money, buy a TON of shit when it sunsets, because a new bill might come around if we arent careful
Link Posted: 3/2/2004 2:58:31 PM EDT
[#15]
We win?????
Link Posted: 3/2/2004 3:08:12 PM EDT
[#16]
I guess I really don't understand. You have a bill to which the antis try to attach a couple of amendments, the AWB renewal being one of them. The bill is defeated. Now someone please tell me what that has to do with the AWB not coming up again. He** the got until Sep to reintroduce it don't they?

Don't you think they will try?  Sorry, but I believe you guys are seriously underestimating the enemy and are celebrating far to early!
Link Posted: 3/2/2004 3:09:04 PM EDT
[#17]

I can not express the amount of joyful bliss I felt when I got back from class and read that this bill had been voted down.[<]:)]
Link Posted: 3/2/2004 3:41:43 PM EDT
[#18]
Does this mean I can buy a brand new Colt LE6920 after the sunset? [thinking]
Link Posted: 3/2/2004 3:54:19 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Just resigned from the National Republican Senatorial Committee---Don't want any of my contributions or membership fees going to those Republicans who ignored the President when he asked for a clean bill!!
 The person on the phone at NRSC headquarters said the emails, faxes and calls were pouring in today right after the vote---none of them positive. Perhaps there ARE enough of us to make a few heads turn.
 AWB is dead but so is protection from lawsuits. Would rather have had both.
                      Greg
View Quote

If you're pissed with the republicans, you've completely missed the point or you just don't understand political strategy.  This was a win. Allow me to explain:

First, if you're on the NRSC, you should know this is an election year.  Some republicans (in both the house and senate) are in areas where gun control can be a pivotal issue; they need to play to the center swing voters to win the election.

By allowing the amendment to be added, those republicans knew it would cause the bill to get killed. However, by allowing the amendment to be added, they can go back to their states and run for election without having to engage in the gun issue.  They can play to the center by saying they voted to ban assault weapons (even though they knew the bill was DOA because they themselves allowed the poison pill amendment to be added).  They can also play to us progunners on the fact that the ban will expire, as well as the fact that they voted to immunize the gun industry from frivolous suits.

In fact, immunity for the gun industry really isn't that huge of a loss.  I don't know of any case where a state or municipality has won.  Adding the AWB extention was simply the dems poison pill for the industry immunity law.  By contrast, we'll likely get to see the end of the ban and it won't become too much of an election year issue.
Link Posted: 3/2/2004 4:07:19 PM EDT
[#20]
A bill can only be brought up for a vote once in a year...the democaps put all their eggs into one basket and it failed...the ban will sunset thanks to there greedy asses. Now we just have to make sure Bush gets the news he will be recalled if he goes against the will of the people, we should try and recall every SOB who voted for the ban in the first place. Its time to really put heat on those bastards.....we want our constitution and bill of rights and thats all there is to it....obey or get the hell out.
Link Posted: 3/2/2004 4:12:46 PM EDT
[#21]
Yes. Playing the center is where it's at.  Fortunately for us they know how to play the game. Hope I wake up tomorrow and it's all still real.
Link Posted: 3/2/2004 4:15:31 PM EDT
[#22]
What does this mean for us Kali folk? Does the AW ban in Kali still prevent us from getting AR's and AK's or is it just for you outsiders who can now have flash hiders and other cool toys? What do we get from the ban ending?
Link Posted: 3/2/2004 4:36:11 PM EDT
[#23]
You Kali folk don't get jack shit. There ain't no hope for you fellers.
Link Posted: 3/2/2004 4:40:01 PM EDT
[#24]
If you already own a couple Ca. registered AR15s, if they are postbans you will be able to put the pre-94 features...

My AR10 will be looking to get a Magpul M93 stock, an ARMS SIR, and a Vortex type flash suppressor.
Link Posted: 3/2/2004 4:57:05 PM EDT
[#25]
Well, here was my day:

1. won an auction on gunbroker.com for an EA pre-ban assembled rifle.

2. Came home, read what seemed like the senate voted to renew the ban along with that additional part about gun shows.

3. Explained to my girlfriend that we are obviously screwd now.

4. Ate my words when I went to show her an article from only 33 minutes ago saying the republicans destroyed the bill.  nice.

Anyone wanna buy an EA rifle?
Link Posted: 3/2/2004 5:08:36 PM EDT
[#26]
Settle down lads, settle down.  This appears to be a victory, but if we let down our gaurd even a little bit we'll pay dearly for it.  These SOB's must go in Nov.  Get them out. Don't rest because we have this apparent victory.  If F'nstien can, she will right a much more comprehensive BAN.  Remeber we only have our little black rifles now because the dopes were not specific enough when they wrote the AWB.
Let's take the fight to them, now and HARD!
Link Posted: 3/2/2004 5:19:35 PM EDT
[#27]
Sweet!
No more paying $30 for a new preban mag!
Now I can go buy some new H&K 30 round mags...
Whats the price on those again?
[url=http://www.calssportingarmory.com/HKLEMags.htm]D'oh! $36!![/url]
Link Posted: 3/2/2004 7:49:19 PM EDT
[#28]
What about the guys that paid $600 for a pre-ban Beta-C?  Glad I didn't!!!!  

Or if you have a safe full of NIB pre-ban colts that you've been sitting on... OUCH.  

This is good news for all of us, though!  I have 2 preban colts, and I could care less about losing a little money on them (I'm not into them a lot though) to have the ban GONE!!!

Party time!!  [beer]
Link Posted: 3/2/2004 8:06:08 PM EDT
[#29]
I wouldn't jump for joy either right now.  I know that if I threw a party, I'd end up eating my words later- that's just how the world works for me.  

I'm afraid that come mid-september, something goofy is going to happen with current prices.  If we buy too many ARs, they'll probably try and take them all away from us- those f'in bastards.  There might only be a small window of opportunity to purchase new rifles and they might come up with a law that makes these fierce and deadly firearms illegal across the board.  I hope not, but I wouldn't be surprised.
Link Posted: 3/2/2004 8:12:03 PM EDT
[#30]
Ditto sjshooter and Joseph, there's nothing wrong with a little celebrating but we haven't won the war yet, just the battle. All we did was piss the Democraps off, and that's always a good thing. But those dirty little rat bastards always seem to find some type of loophole or backdoor. We need to do everything possible to keep the fight going.
Link Posted: 3/2/2004 9:25:25 PM EDT
[#31]
QUESTION:
The AWB renewal was an amendment, not a bill.  Is it the same or not?  What is to stop them from presenting a stand alone bill?  Does this mean that stand alones in the pipeline now get thrown out, please advise!
Link Posted: 3/2/2004 9:52:01 PM EDT
[#32]
great Q, because u can only intro a bill once a year, so does this add on count or can they still intro a bill soley for the renewal of AWB? if not, then its definately a victory, and stock up on the late 'preban' stuff and get ready to party, i had a few celebrating. oh yes, stay strong, even though we won this battle, i still wrote my congressmen today on the AWB, dont give up, even when it sunsets, something more terrible could come if we do
Link Posted: 3/2/2004 10:15:57 PM EDT
[#33]
Words can not express my happiness!
This country may yet be saved from the sheeple!

3 cheeres!!!!!!!!
[beer]

YYEEEEEHAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now to wait untill september!!!!!
Link Posted: 3/2/2004 11:45:28 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 3/3/2004 3:35:54 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
QUESTION:
The AWB renewal was an amendment, not a bill.  Is it the same or not?  What is to stop them from presenting a stand alone bill?  Does this mean that stand alones in the pipeline now get thrown out, please advise!
View Quote
- It is my understanding that yes this technically could happen but is not likely because this years schedule is already pretty full. It is not likely that someone could start a new bill, go through the channels and have it come up for a vote, in both houses before the end of this years session. Feinstein herself had acknowledged that this was her last real chance this year to get her AWB renewed

But, there is nothing keeping someone from attaching this to another bill and considering that got enough votes to get it attached to this bill, it could happen again. I will hold off on the champagne until Sept.

Keep in mind, even if it does expire in Sept. Who know's what they will pass next year or the year after?
Link Posted: 3/3/2004 3:47:22 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

...  I have 2 preban colts, and I could care less about losing a little money on them ...

... Party time!!  [beer]
View Quote

... Good man! On a related note, I too have two Colt prebans. So does my neighbor. We met at the property line yesterday and raised a toast, drank a beer and kinda gloated about the day. Funny thing. We kinda organized the impromptu meeting on the phone but neither planned on wearing our NRA ballcaps; but we both did.
Link Posted: 3/3/2004 4:58:26 AM EDT
[#37]
So I can order that 16" "pre-ban" with collapsing stock and flash supressor kit now...and put it on my "post-ban" Bushmaster lower? Legaly?

Link Posted: 3/3/2004 5:01:26 AM EDT
[#38]
After september there will be no such thing as pre-ban or post-ban just a rifle!
Link Posted: 3/3/2004 5:14:16 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote

I can't wait to go to Gun Show and see dealers with $600-$700 C-Mags for sale and offer them standard pricing. Gougers. They deserve to get stuck.
Link Posted: 3/3/2004 5:25:44 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:
QUESTION:
View Quote
- It is my understanding that yes this technically could happen but is not likely because this years schedule is already pretty full. It is not likely that someone could start a new bill, go through the channels and have it come up for a vote, in both houses before the end of this years session. Feinstein herself had acknowledged that this was her last real chance this year to get her AWB renewed

But, there is nothing keeping someone from attaching this to another bill and considering that got enough votes to get it attached to this bill, it could happen again. I will hold off on the champagne until Sept.

View Quote

You are right but for all intents and purposes, it's dead.  Even if attached to another bill, it would still have to go to the house and then get reconciled.  I don't see that happening.  Also, yesterdays attachments could have been an attempt to show that some Senators were ready to do something, but knowing in the end it was doomed to failure -- pure symbolism.  They might not be as willing to attach the same ammendment to another bill if they think it has a better chance of passing.

The unfortunate thing is I doubt we'll ever see a clean anti-lawsuit bill ever get voted on.  It seems the tactic is to weigh these bills down with so many ammendments that they don't stand a chance.  
Link Posted: 3/3/2004 5:58:35 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

I can't wait to go to Gun Show and see dealers with $600-$700 C-Mags for sale and offer them standard pricing. Gougers. They deserve to get stuck.
View Quote

Amen brother.

Preban prices will be dropping like a stone!

Yeah baby!!!!!!!!!

Link Posted: 3/3/2004 6:23:52 AM EDT
[#42]
price drops? actually i believe there will be a surge of prices upwards at first, but will quickly drop once NEW "pre-ban" stuff floods the market :)
Link Posted: 3/3/2004 10:18:03 AM EDT
[#43]
JackBurton, read whats posted...you can only bring a bill up once a year for a vote...the democraps put all their eggs into one basket and it was voted down...thats it for this year...of course they will come back next year with the same bullshit.
Link Posted: 3/3/2004 10:35:58 AM EDT
[#44]
There never was a chance of any AWB passing, the House would not hear of it. The only victor here was the Trial Lawyers who successfully pitted pro and anti gun groups against each other to kill this bill.

There won't be any chance of a AWB passing next year either.

Fineswine will probably enter a bill every year she remains in the Senate. But they will never pass. There is no sign at all of any change in GOP dominance of the House. And in fact reapportionment should increase their majority.
Link Posted: 3/3/2004 10:41:27 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
JackBurton, read whats posted...you can only bring a bill up once a year for a vote...the democraps put all their eggs into one basket and it was voted down...thats it for this year...of course they will come back next year with the same bullshit.
View Quote
- What I think you are missing though is the AWB did not get voted on as a bill. It was an admendment to a bill that got shot down. The AWB can still be attached to another bill this year or brought up as a new and seperate bill and still be voted on this year. The good news is by most most all accounts and I agree, it's a slim to nil chance that will happen (and be passed by both houses) this year, especially by Sept.
The bad news may be that re-election for Bush isn't looking good. If the Dems take over next term, the next AWB they pass may be ten times worse than this one?
Link Posted: 3/3/2004 1:16:24 PM EDT
[#46]
airgunner, it cannot be voted on again this year.....its over for them this year and thats that. Why do you think they tried to slip it in as a rider on the original bill.....they thought they could the repubs to go ahead and vote yes on the whole works...its illegal to bring it up for another vote once its been voted down in the same year and thats all there is to it.
Link Posted: 3/3/2004 1:41:35 PM EDT
[#47]
I am happy about this but my state passed a similar law to the ban but this one do not expires!!!! Oh shoot! The law is almost a cut and paste of the ban.
Link Posted: 3/3/2004 2:00:54 PM EDT
[#48]
Gentlemen
Do not let your guard down,  Don't pop the champagne cork.. Don't relax while your working on your "WISH LIST".. Never Underestimate your enemy. Don't assume their dead until you stick a Bayonet thru there Heart... Politics is a dirty business full of back room smoke filled deals. Politicians will do some unpredicitable thinks whey they think your not paying attention to them. Wisconson got Punked by ONE politician who originally voted for a CCW law and we lost the bill being passed by ONE vote. by the guy who months earlier voted for it...
These guys will cut you loose in a heart beat.

Keep the pressure on right up till Sept 13th, cause ya know what. ..On Sept 14th you can buy all the stuff you have dreamed off. It's threads like these that spread and make people think we have won, they spread and people get complacent and lazy and then come a 4th of July weekend when your having a good time they tack on an extention cause your not watching and then we loose. we have come to far to claim victory this early. CLAIM it on Sept 13th when there is no doubt how the outcome of the battle will be.........................
Link Posted: 3/3/2004 2:41:52 PM EDT
[#49]
o.k. the bill died and can't be reintroduced for a year. the AWB part was an amendment. doesn't this mean they can still tack it on to any other bill as an amendment? that sounds scary.
Link Posted: 3/3/2004 4:27:59 PM EDT
[#50]
No, they can NOT do that.  Whether you call it a bill or an amendment to a bill, no proposed law can be offered more than ONCE in a legislative year.

This applies to any bill or amendment with the same PURPOSE, no matter how it's worded.

I do NOT know if this precludes the possibility of an even more restrictive ban bill being offered.

CJ
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top