BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 11/1/2002 11:58:02 AM EDT
Can anyone tell me where these rifles rate in respect to the others on the market?

I'm sure they don't stand up to Colt, but are they much different from Armalite, DPMS, Bushmaster, RRA, ASA? Their claims on their web page are certainly convincing, but who doesn't make their product sound like "the one"?

I noticed they aren't even represented in the Indusry message board.

Help?
Link Posted: 11/1/2002 12:24:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Olyarms is O.K.  They have a lot of people who love their product and a few that hate it.  However, that is also true with the other manufacturers.  I would say they would be sixth on a list of AR makers.  Colt, Armalite, Bushmaster, and Rock River (in no particular order) would be the top four.  

Although Armalite would probably be number one because of the meticulous care in construction and knowledgeable customer service.  Rock River and Bushmaster are head to head, though RRA has slightly better prices for similar quality.  Colt has had more complaints than usual lately, but when they make a good product it is excellent.  

Cavalry Arms would be next and then Olympic.  Hesse and ASA would be at the bottom of that list, way at the bottom.  
Link Posted: 11/1/2002 12:27:53 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Olyarms is O.K.  They have a lot of people who love their product and a few that hate it.  However, that is also true with the other manufacturers.  I would say they would be sixth on a list of AR makers.  Colt, Armalite, Bushmaster, and Rock River (in no particular order) would be the top four.  

Although Armalite would probably be number one because of the meticulous care in construction and knowledgeable customer service.  Rock River and Bushmaster are head to head, though RRA has slightly better prices for similar quality.  Colt has had more complaints than usual lately, but when they make a good product it is excellent.  

Cavalry Arms would be next and then Olympic.  Hesse and ASA would be at the bottom of that list, way at the bottom.  

Agreed.  (With the exception of Cav Arms and that's simply because I have no experience with them.)
Link Posted: 11/1/2002 1:01:06 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

I figured Armalite and Colt would be tops. I figured Bushmaster would be next, but I didn't expect RRA and CA to be in the tops. Especially CA. If I read correctly (and I just heard of them today) their lowers are not even forged aluminum, they're injection molded nylong/glass. I've never even heard of that until today, with AR-type rifles anyway. Not sure I put a lot of stock in that just yet because I haven't heard much about it.

I just started checking into RRA rifles as well, and although they look pretty decent the type that I am looking for they don't seem to have (and they have no FAQ  or e-mail link to send questions to).

I am set on a 16" (black) barrel, flat-top receiver and weaver gas block, alluminum handguards, and would prefer to have a compensator on it. Upper and lower have to be forged. They don't say what kind of receivers the have although it seems like the norm to have forged. So, RRA almost fits the bill for my price zone. Colt and Armalite are pretty well a few more months of saving or constant haggling with the wife. I don't think I have found one yet that fits everything I want, although Olympic seems to be the closest.

Somake me feel better and say Olympic is at least as good as Bushmaster... not a step above Hesse and ASA. I have heard nothing but bad about Hesse... what's the deal?

Anyway, thanks so much for your input. It's getting me closer to my decision...
Link Posted: 11/1/2002 1:24:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Depends on what you place the most value on Looks? Accuracy?  Reliability? Closest to the Mil-Spec? Cost? Warrenty? Customer Service?

All my ARs are 'general purpose' tools.  I want them reliable and durable, with decent accuracy.  Cost should be reasonable (but I know I wont be paying bottom dollar).  Warrenty is pointless because I do my own repairs/customization - but I do want decent customer service in case the rifle I bought has some out-of-the box-issues.  Think a weapons-grade AR.  That being said my ranks are as follows:

IMHO Bushmaster ranks #1, they come closest to the mil-spec, have a very reliable rifle (has the M16 chamber and chrome lining), and outstanding customer service.  It also helps that they've produced combat rifles for the US Military.

Armalite is a close second, their warrenty and fit-n-finish (looks) are better.  But they use a cheaper grade of barrel steel for their lined barrels.  And there was that issue about what chamber they were using for a while.  They have made MATCH rifle for a military marksmanship unit.  Customer service is decent

Colt is #3 - they have been slipping in QC in the last couple of years (older Colts would rank #1).  That, and the unlined barrels (but chambers are lined), means Armalite actually produces a civilian product closer to spec.  Customer service is spotty at best.

RRA - good rifle, well loved by the Service Rifle Match rifles.  Good QC, but they are new at chrome lining, and only using 4140 steel for their barrels (spec is 4150), and their chambers still are suspect IMHO.  I'd rate them higher once they have had a longer track record.  Customer service??  Well definately not on the web...

Here is where I would rate Oly for a general purpose rifle.  After RRA.  I've had good dealings with their customer service and they have a variety of offerings.

If you're looking for more accuracy over reliability or 'mil-spec' then check out an OLY with their SUM (Stainless-Ultra-Match) barrel - outstanding accuracy for half the price of a comparably accurate Wilson or Les Baer (though it might not 'look' as nice).

DPMS is a close follower to Oly - they have some accurate inexpensive offerings for plinking/hunting if following the spec isn't important, and you're not relying on the rifle for your life.
Link Posted: 11/1/2002 1:33:04 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:  
I figured Armalite and Colt would be tops. I figured Bushmaster would be next, but I didn't expect RRA and CA to be in the tops. Especially CA. If I read correctly (and I just heard of them today) their lowers are not even forged aluminum, they're injection molded nylong/glass. I've never even heard of that until today, with AR-type rifles anyway. Not sure I put a lot of stock in that just yet because I haven't heard much about it.

I just started checking into RRA rifles as well, and although they look pretty decent the type that I am looking for they don't seem to have (and they have no FAQ  or e-mail link to send questions to).

I am set on a 16" (black) barrel, flat-top receiver and weaver gas block, alluminum handguards, and would prefer to have a compensator on it. Upper and lower have to be forged. They don't say what kind of receivers the have although it seems like the norm to have forged. So, RRA almost fits the bill for my price zone. Colt and Armalite are pretty well a few more months of saving or constant haggling with the wife. I don't think I have found one yet that fits everything I want, although Olympic seems to be the closest.

Somake me feel better and say Olympic is at least as good as Bushmaster... not a step above Hesse and ASA. I have heard nothing but bad about Hesse... what's the deal?

Anyway, thanks so much for your input. It's getting me closer to my decision...

Cavarms has proven themselves to make a quality product.  It's just different.  They use DPMS uppers.  Now that I think about it, DPMS would probably be in the top five as well.  With Cavarms being sixth.

Hesse made Carbon Fiber receivers and gave plastic AR's a bad name.  They just didn't make a receiver with the quality they should have. Polymers and plastics are fine for AR's in my opinion. Hesse just didn't do it right, whereas Cavalry Arms has done it right and then some.

Colt was great at one time.  Their recent products have suffered from bad QC.  They also seem to focus less on civilian sales lately.  

Olympic arms is a hundred steps up from ASA or Hesse, but they don't come close to Bushmaster or Rock River.  Armalite is above and beyond the best and most meticulous in construction, but at a premium price.  

Rock River can build any rifle to your specs, you just have to call them.  Even better, either ArmyInf or Pete-in-NH can make a rifle for you using Rock River parts faster than the factory can.  Pete is listed on the industry section under "Legal Transfers"  and ArmyInf can be found if you look on the boards or IM him.

DPMS also has a wide selection at a good price.  They have the largest selection of rifles and components of any of them.  They probably have a factory configuration that suits your needs.

Bushmaster is a classic.  They are proven to make a good product.  DPMS has also been around and has a superb, yet understated, reputation.  Rock River is a rising star with quality and service every bit as good if not better than Bushmaster or DPMS.  I would have them or a RRA dealer make the rifle you want.  They have the best prices overall for the product you get.  They have all the extras you want available, just ask them to install the components for you.

I'm not saying stay away from Olympic.  Olyarms is good, I have one, they are just not as good as RRA, DPMS, or Bushy, not to mention Armalite.  For the price, RRA is a better deal.
Link Posted: 11/1/2002 1:34:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Also, Rock River charges about $35 for a chrome lining in the barrel if you want it.
Link Posted: 11/1/2002 4:11:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Olympic Arms creates a very good firearm on par with teh top 4 or 5, based upon personal/customer expierence.

If I were rating AR15's, based upon seeing them and customer complaints in no particular order:

Armalite: Lifetime warranty, good customer service, excellent product, QC is 4+ out of 5

Olympic:  Lifetime warranty, good customer service, excellent product, QC is 4 out of 5, makes a lot of their own parts, match target rifles are well above par for the price.

Bushmaster: 1 year warranty, good customer service, excellent product, QC is 4 out of 5, DCM rifles have been problematic in last 2  years.

DPMS: Limited warranty, good customer service, excellent product, QC is 4 out of 5

RRA: Limited warranty, needs work on customer service, excellent product, QC is 3-4 out of 5.  NOTE: Fast growing company that is bringing a lot of new products online very quickly - Expected in my opinion; should get better in 2 -3 years.

Colt: Very poor customer service, good quality, but not as good as 10-15 years ago.  I do not point customers to them any longer as 4 or 5 other companies make as good if not better product.

I will not repeat RUMORS that others have said/heard.  It is not fair to say one is better than another unless you have tried it and have had a failure.

CA: No experience

ASA: No experience, make sure you check out the legal situation that ASA is in.

Hesse: No experience

(Full disclosure: We deal/distribute DPMS/Armalite/Olympic/Bushmaster and above are notes are based upon my experience or that of our customers.)
Link Posted: 11/1/2002 4:35:05 PM EDT
[#8]
DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY!

I've read plenty of threads over the years on all the probs with OLY.  You get what you pay for, and no one ever regrets pay a little more for a good rifle!
Link Posted: 11/1/2002 6:01:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 11/1/2002 7:52:25 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY!

I've read plenty of threads over the years on all the probs with OLY.  You get what you pay for, and no one ever regrets pay a little more for a good rifle!

Like what?
Link Posted: 11/1/2002 7:56:46 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Also, Rock River charges about $35 for a chrome lining in the barrel if you want it.

What does chrome lining do and what do you get when it is not chrome lined?

I'm in the Army and have obviously always used the M16, but I never really had to know what it had in it as opposed to the civilian model... so some of this is new to me...
Link Posted: 11/1/2002 8:09:47 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm in the Army and have obviously always used the M16, but I never really had to know what it had in it as opposed to the civilian model... so some of this is new to me...

Chrome lining extends the life of the barrel.  A chrome lined barrel will last twice as long as a non-lined one.  It also makes it easier to clean.  Your issued M16 has a chrome lined barrel.

The other two choices are stainless steel and chrome/moly.  The stainless will give you the most accuracy, but has a short lifespan.  The chrome/moly will last longer than a stainless.  The chrome/moly will be more accurate than a chrome-lined but less accurate than a stainless.
Link Posted: 11/1/2002 8:20:33 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Chrome lining extends the life of the barrel.  A chrome lined barrel will last twice as long as a non-lined one.  It also makes it easier to clean.  Your issued M16 has a chrome lined barrel.

The other two choices are stainless steel and chrome/moly.  The stainless will give you the most accuracy, but has a short lifespan.  The chrome/moly will last longer than a stainless.  The chrome/moly will be more accurate than a chrome-lined but less accurate than a stainless.

Sounds like Chrome-molly would be the better bet then. How much more is that as oppsed to having chrome liner?

Also, what can youtell me about Wylde Chambering with the RRA rifles? I haven't even heard of it until today. Is there a reason none of the other places emphasize this?
Link Posted: 11/1/2002 8:51:24 PM EDT
[#14]
Somake me feel better and say Olympic is at least as good as Bushmaster... {B/]

Bushmaster is considered one of the best ARs out there, I would say Olympic is a very good product, but you are asking alot with that comment.
Link Posted: 11/1/2002 11:29:12 PM EDT
[#15]
The thing to keep in mind here is that the difference in quality between, say, a great Colt and a great Oly is not very much at all. Every maker puts out a lesser gun now and then, and the best from any of them are very close. Any of the above, at its best, is more than good enough.
My favorite is Bushy, but I consider Armalite to be at least as good, often better, sometimes not quite as good. I have 3 RRA's and consider them as good as any. Maybe I'm just lucky, but the very few problems I've ever had with any AR have been easily fixed, minor stuff. I did have an Oly lower that was made slightly out of spec, but they replaced it no problem.
Link Posted: 11/1/2002 11:44:59 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sounds like Chrome-molly would be the better bet then. How much more is that as oppsed to having chrome liner?

Also, what can youtell me about Wylde Chambering with the RRA rifles? I haven't even heard of it until today. Is there a reason none of the other places emphasize this?

The chrome/moly is standard on Rock River, DPMS, Armalite's Eagle Arms line, and (I believe) Olympic.  Most of the kits that you find will also have chrome/moly.  You only have to pay extra for chrome lined or stainless steel.  Bushmaster and Armalite standard all come with chrome lining.  I am not sure if they have chrome/moly barrels.  The chrome/moly will have to be cleaned more often than the chrome lined and will only last half as long.

The .223 Wylde chamber is , I'm told, a cross between a 5.56 NATO and a .223 SAAMI.  It is tighter than the NATO, but not as tight as the SAAMI.  It will not match rounds and only higher grade military rounds.  I believe that RRA is the only one offering the Wylde chamber.  The others aren't selling it probably because it is not one or the other.  It will not handle lower grade rounds and will not be as accurate as a match chamber.  It was created as a compromise and that is exactly what it is.  However, unless you shoot in competitons or love shooting Wolf ammo, you shouldn't have a problem with the Wylde.
Link Posted: 11/2/2002 5:50:59 AM EDT
[#17]
As usual, I am going to have to agree 110% with Forest. Which manufacurer makes the best rifle for you depends a lot on what you want it for. For my shooting needs and style, Bushmaster makes a better rifle than the rest, even if fit and finish may be nicer on a Rock River or Armalite. Fit and finish are important to me and Bushmaster's fit and finish is not problematic, but excellent quality *standards* parts is what I want most.

Bushmaster says they have a 1 year warranty, but they have prooven time and time and time again, that they will take care of you LONG after that year has expired. Oly has a lifetime waranty, but they have proven time and time and time again that it is a *limited* lifetime warranty.
Link Posted: 11/2/2002 7:26:07 AM EDT
[#18]
Speaking of warranty...(see my post about them in this forum).  How does a company define a "limited" lifetime warranty.  I went to RRA and Oly and didn't find any info regarding their warranties.

Thanks!

Drivie
Link Posted: 11/2/2002 10:00:07 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY!

Which means you have no personal experiance with OLY ARs Another "I heard" expert.

Link Posted: 11/2/2002 8:09:37 PM EDT
[#20]
I have a little different take on this than the other folks here- I think it depends a lot on the particular model you get.

My rifle is a Olympic Arms.  It is in DCM configuration, built on an OA93 lower with a Olympic assembled DCM upper half.  I love it.  It shoots great, feels great, looks great.

Now, when I go to gunshows and look at the tables full of brand new Olympics....I must say that many do not look as nice as mine.  Who knows how they shoot, but many look outright crude compared to mine.  I am not sure what the difference is, other than there must be different models in the Olympic line and I have a good one.

As far as the others- the only others I have experience with is the Bushmasters (also DCM rifles).  The first thing that comes to mind is how bad the triggers suck (I have an RRA).  Other than that, they seem to look and shoot pretty well...although my Olympic beats many of them on a regular basis (more the shooter than the rifle of course).

My point to all this rambling is handle (and shoot if possible) the model of the rifle you intend to purchase if you are concerned about how it stacks up.  This is the only way to know for sure.
Link Posted: 11/3/2002 12:45:18 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
This is the only way to know for sure.

That can become expensive... I'll stick to user feedback.

Also, what is "DCM"? Is there somewhere on the AR15.com page that translates some of the abbreviationseveryone uses? I thought the military used them a lot...

I have to say, RRA looks decent but I am a little wary about the whole Wylde chamber. I'm way to dumb on bullets to figure out whatI hsould and should not be putting through it. I would rather have something I can throw match, reloads, and crap brands through with equal results as far as function. I've always sed the NATO 5.56 in the Army which I rate as crap
(lowest bidder theory).

So far I it's looking like a BM or a Oly still. I am not convinced on the whole RRA Wylde thing.

At this point it sounds liek with a Colt you are almost paying for a name these days. Is it true they have FAL making parts for them now?

Armalite doesn't seem very customizable. I would prbably jump on the M15A4(T) Carbine but I am not into the SS Barrel or the fiberglass handguards.

That leaves me with the Bushmaster XM15 E2S V Match Carbine or the Olympic Arms PCR-16 or the PCR-3/ The PCR-16 is the only one that completely fits what I want but I am still not convinced it is worth being a cheap ass if I end up with a hunk o' crap. If the Bushmaster can install a Weaver gas block before I buy it I would pretty much be sold. It seems to me, though, that they hike up prices on add-ons.

I'm getting there...
Link Posted: 11/3/2002 1:48:46 AM EDT
[#22]
You stated before you want a 16" barrel.  All RRA 16" rifles have NATO chambers.  Only the 20" barrels are listed as having Wylde chambers on thier website.  Where did you see that the 16" RRA's have Wylde chambers?
Link Posted: 11/3/2002 2:35:42 AM EDT
[#23]
I've had two Oly flat tops. The first had a 16"?
bull bbl. I got it from my cousin who had fired many thousands of rounds through it rambo rattled and NEVER cleaned it. It banged around behind his pickup seat for three years and It still worked great. I cleaned it up and traded it for a Oly PCR1, which I love. My next AR will be a bushmaster varminter or an Armalite AR10 but I have been very satisfied in my limited experience with Olympic Arms products.
Link Posted: 11/3/2002 6:09:53 AM EDT
[#24]
Knight, all RRA chambers were that .223 Wylde thing, EXCEPT their chrome lined chambers. The 5.56 chamber was only available in the newer chrome lined barrels. Rock River MAY have changed that, but who knows. Its not like you can call, or email, and ask.

If RRA has changed, I am sure it is a good thing and they are listening to their customers. But finding out what they are doing has been very difficult. Maybe SABLE Co or Pete in NH can find out for sure. They seem to work close with RRA.
Link Posted: 11/3/2002 10:05:13 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
You stated before you want a 16" barrel.  All RRA 16" rifles have NATO chambers.  Only the 20" barrels are listed as having Wylde chambers on thier website.  Where did you see that the 16" RRA's have Wylde chambers?

http://www.rockriverarms.com/rra_varmint.htm
Doesn't say anything about NATO chamber...
Link Posted: 11/3/2002 12:38:17 PM EDT
[#26]
I have 3 AR's the first one I ever bought is a Olympic PCR 97 Eliminator (Dissipator Clone) I bought it on a bit of a whim long before I ever read anything on AR's. I have to say that I have been thrilled with it from the start. It is an accurate reliable rifle with very good fit and finnish. My other 2 are kit guns (24 inch fluted varmiter and a 50 Beowulf) that I built on Oly lowers because I had good luck with my first one and because  I could get them close by. I have been pleased with there products and there service. I have tried to buy AR's made by 1 other company and after 14 weeks of it will ship next week, I cancled the order. So in my limited experience Olympic is a company that I will do business with again
Link Posted: 11/3/2002 3:21:45 PM EDT
[#27]
I have a pre ban and a post ban Oly. The only thing I can say bad about the pre ban is, the other uppers I have wont't fit the lower without some filing. The newer post ban seems to fit all uppers, with no fitting. However the pre ban upper that came with the lower is a good tight fit, no wobble. The post ban has a little play in it.
Link Posted: 11/3/2002 3:59:35 PM EDT
[#28]
What is a Match Grade Button Rifled Barrel? Button is that part that is puzzling me.

Also, has anyone had any experience in replacing/installing gas blocks. The rifle I eventually purchase will has a weaver style gas block o it, but if I get one from a  place that doesn't install them at the factory I am wondering how hard it is to do it myself. Or is it something that should be take to a gunsmith so the rifle doesn't blow up in my face the first time I take it out.
Link Posted: 11/3/2002 4:18:06 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

http://www.rockriverarms.com/rra_varmint.htm
Doesn't say anything about NATO chamber...

Oops.  Didn't look at the varminters.  I was speaking of the tactical/standard 16" AR's.  I would IM pete in NH or Armyinf and ask them if they can put the aluminum handguards on a 5.56 chambered barrel.  
Link Posted: 11/3/2002 6:26:53 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Oops.  Didn't look at the varminters.  I was speaking of the tactical/standard 16" AR's.  I would IM pete in NH or Armyinf and ask them if they can put the aluminum handguards on a 5.56 chambered barrel.  

I tried IM-ing him once, didn't get a response. I'm not sure that whole Wylde chambering is something I want to get into. I'm leaning towards a Bushmaster, although I am still clinging to the idea of giving Olympic a "shot" as well. I have enough of a hard time trying to figure out what I can put through the guns I have without some weird variable like that. If they made NATO chmbering on all their guns and their web page offered a little more in the customer service/FAQ/contact us for questions area I would find more out about them.
I have been catching hell from one of my friends who thinks I am being a cheap ass for even considering a Bushmaster, let alone anything other than Colt or Armalite. But Oly and BM seem to have the closest to what I want... I'll probably come to a decision this week.
Link Posted: 11/3/2002 10:57:12 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
What is a Match Grade Button Rifled Barrel? Button is that part that is puzzling me.

Button and broach are techniques for machinging lands and grooves into your barrel.

Button is quicker, but not as accurate.  Broach takes longer, but its accuracy is better.

High end guys go for broach cut stainless steel barrels.

Also, has anyone had any experience in replacing/installing gas blocks. The rifle I eventually purchase will has a weaver style gas block o it, but if I get one from a  place that doesn't install them at the factory I am wondering how hard it is to do it myself. Or is it something that should be take to a gunsmith so the rifle doesn't blow up in my face the first time I take it out.

It is NOT that hard.

Need to new replacement taper pins, a concave pin punch, a 12-16  oz hammber to tap out pins.

Most people can do it.

Link Posted: 11/3/2002 10:59:40 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
I have enough of a hard time trying to figure out what I can put through the guns I have without some weird variable like that. If they made NATO chmbering on all their guns and their web page offered a little more in the customer service/FAQ/contact us for questions area I would find more out about them.

Olympic barrels for the last 2-3 years are all 556 expect SUM, pistol caliber and other non 556/223 (they create a bunch of other cailbers).

Ask questions and I am sure someone can answer your question.
Link Posted: 11/3/2002 11:04:02 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Chrome lining extends the life of the barrel.  A chrome lined barrel will last twice as long as a non-lined one.

The stainless will give you the most accuracy, but has a short lifespan.  The chrome/moly will last longer than a stainless.  The chrome/moly will be more accurate than a chrome-lined but less accurate than a stainless.

Please share where you got your numbers for barrel life.

I have always heard (and my expierence agrees with) Chrome adds 20-40% to a barrel life.  The SS has a life in the same range as chrome moly or better, based on my expierence.  SS is commonly thought to have a short barrel life because people shoot 70+ grain bullets through it as high FPS, causing them to wear much quicker, but any barrel would wear quickly under those extremes.
Link Posted: 11/3/2002 11:08:45 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Speaking of warranty...(see my post about them in this forum).  How does a company define a "limited" lifetime warranty.  I went to RRA and Oly and didn't find any info regarding their warranties.

I found it in less than 30 seconds.  Of course, I have read it before.  Here is a URL to it.

www.olyarms.com/warranty.html
Link Posted: 11/3/2002 11:18:48 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
Bushmaster says they have a 1 year warranty, but they have prooven time and time and time again, that they will take care of you LONG after that year has expired. Oly has a lifetime waranty, but they have proven time and time and time again that it is a *limited* lifetime warranty.

Every company has their "problems".

My expierence in the years (10+) that I have dealt with Olympic products, they have backed up their product every time.

I know of guns that Bushmaster has made that are problematic and they required $150+ to make them work.  (Was documented on this board)  That fit their warrenty...  Buyer beware.

I own a lot of various AR's and try to get one from each new manufacturer, just so I can see what they have and how good their product is.

Now days, most of the companies are fairly close in quality.  There are minor differences among them all.  Of course, everyone define minor differently.

Each company does something better than the others.  Everything from CQB to high power can affect why someone should choose one rifle over another.  To say one manufacturer is better than another for EVERY application would be a lie.

When a person has a problem, people tell everyone for ever, even though it may have been 10 years ago.  People do not say a product is good unless they get "pissed off" at the piling on.

There are NO perfect gun companies.
Link Posted: 11/4/2002 12:25:20 AM EDT
[#36]
Oly Sucks. I ordered a Ultratrash mean an Ultramatch from them. It was missing the grip I ordered with the rifle when it came it. The free floated handguards were loose and were not installed completely. The bi pod hole was drilled about 20 degrees off when the handguard was installed properly. First trip to the range it bulged factory ammo cases. The chamber had a absess in it. I sent it back and after waitin over 14 months and several phone calls and excuses I got my rifle back. The gun shot 1.25 to 1.5 mao groups no better than a 16 inch carbine colt. The customer service sucks their products sucks. And it seems that every AR 15 that I have seen have major problems since then is guesss what a OLY. Hate is not a stong enough word for how I feel towards the B*st@rds at OLY. Don't buy from them. Colt Bushy and Armalight are what I would stick with.

SNIP
Which means you have no personal experiance with OLY ARs  Another "I heard" expert.
END

Oh no he must have had a experence with OLY. The people that have owned a bad oly know out pain they customer service is non existant. Don't preach to me about how good oly is because I know the truth and its not preaty.
PAT
Link Posted: 11/4/2002 1:33:12 AM EDT
[#37]
Glockfan,

Do you stillhave the rifle?  If so, do you want to sell it?
Link Posted: 11/4/2002 4:54:30 AM EDT
[#38]
  heres my two cents worth just assbled oly hb 20 post ban on a rra lower 2 unnamed 20 rd mags from a gun show for under 600.00 shoots better than i can here a lot of oly bashing on this site fit and finish matched lower first ar maybe and iits junk dont know it humbely dm59
Link Posted: 11/4/2002 4:58:21 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Button and broach are techniques for machinging lands and grooves into your barrel.

Button is quicker, but not as accurate.  Button takes longer, but its accuracy is better.

Which one is whic... you say button on both descriptions?
Link Posted: 11/4/2002 5:07:18 AM EDT
[#40]
Budam, where are you in NH?

My wife is from Somersworth/Dover and her parents now live in Milton. We usually get their about twice a year.

Link Posted: 11/4/2002 5:18:20 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
Oly Sucks. It was missing the grip I ordered with the rifle when it came it. The free floated handguards were loose and were not installed completely. The bi pod hole was drilled about 20 degrees off when the handguard was installed properly. First trip to the range it bulged factory ammo cases. The chamber had a absess in it. I sent it back and after waitin over 14 months and several phone calls and excuses I got my rifle back. PAT

I don't think I hve ever seen a cartridge bulge in an M16... that's kind of scary. Was it within the first few rounds of firing or was a cook off that went awry?

Although I am not a big fan of the hassle of having to send things back when they are dorked up, as long as I get them back in a decent amount of time and the returne product works corretly I am ok. 14 months is not a decent amoutn of time. If I have to wait longer than a month I am pissed and would rather just get one from someone else. I am a little nervous dealing with any customer service from some of the things I have read on here. I would think with something as precision as a firearm, their QC going out would be pretty tight to avoid this sort of thing. And I can just imagine this monster shelf of returned rifles that get worked on once a week or something. I just can't imagine that standards that are set in place for the people who assemble these rifles that they would get by with problems like that. Scary.

My question is, how do you do ship firearms back to the manufacturer if you are not a dealer or an FFL holder? Do you have to kee going through a gun shop and paying the gun shops processing/shipping/receiving fees or does the manufacturer cover all of those expense since it is their fault you have to ship it in the first place. That is  hassle I would rather not deal with. I would rather they just send a brand new gun out to me and they can keep the one that "feel through the cracks on QC".

Link Posted: 11/5/2002 11:30:06 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Button is quicker, but not as accurate.  Button takes longer, but its accuracy is better.

Which one is whic... you say button on both descriptions?

My mistake.  Sorry about that.

Button is quicker and less accurate.

BROACH takes longer and is more accurate.
Link Posted: 11/5/2002 11:32:44 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
Budam, where are you in NH?

Merriamck.

Doesn't it show that at the bottom of the message?  It does on mine, but maybe people see different things than I do???
Link Posted: 11/5/2002 11:36:15 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
My question is, how do you do ship firearms back to the manufacturer if you are not a dealer or an FFL holder? Do you have to kee going through a gun shop and paying the gun shops processing/shipping/receiving fees or does the manufacturer cover all of those expense since it is their fault you have to ship it in the first place. That is  hassle I would rather not deal with. I would rather they just send a brand new gun out to me and they can keep the one that "feel through the cracks on QC".

You can send a gun DIRECTLY to any FFL in the US.  You can send and receive via common currier your gun if gunsmithing/fixing was the reason why it was sent to FFL.

Not to make excuses, but nn regards to the 14 months, I wonder if this was around the time when their factory burnt down and they were really backed up bad?
Link Posted: 11/6/2002 4:24:02 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
Doesn't it show that at the bottom of the message?  It does on mine, but maybe people see different things than I do???

Duh! Evidence of my keen and acute reading skills. Can't get anything by me. Is that close to Dover, Portsmouth or Milton? (I'm probably missing the map right by your name too)

You can send a gun DIRECTLY to any FFL in the US. You can send and receive via common currier your gun if gunsmithing/fixing was the reason why it was sent to FFL.

That sounds a little weird, being able to just take your gun and send it through the mail. I assume common courier is USPS, UPS, or FED-EX.

So if I were dealing with a warranty problem I would never have to take it to a dealer to have it shipped back and forth for repairs?

Link Posted: 11/6/2002 2:00:09 PM EDT
[#46]
lots of great choices but,

best value: colt
Link Posted: 11/6/2002 2:57:06 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
That sounds a little weird, being able to just take your gun and send it through the mail. I assume common courier is USPS, UPS, or FED-EX.

So if I were dealing with a warranty problem I would never have to take it to a dealer to have it shipped back and forth for repairs?

It depends on your state laws.  Some States require and FFL to FFL transfer and some states do not require that.  If you are not sure, check with your local law enforcement station and askthem  Your FFL might be able to tell you also.  

It is the same as if you were shipping a firearm to yourself during a move.  It is not a transfer of ownership nor is it a sale.  The proper transfer taxes and background checks have already occurred.  On the same note, a person to person sale between residents of the same state also do not require an FFl to supervise, unless your state says differently.  An FFl is only needed for initial transfer of a new firearm, transfer from out of state, and any other non face to face transfers and sales.
Link Posted: 11/6/2002 2:59:56 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
lots of great choices but,

best value: colt

I disagree. Rock River would be the best value along with higher quality.  Recent Colts have had numerous Complaints.  Armalite, Bushmaster, Rock River, and DPMS all beat Colt hands down in this day and age.  Fiteen or twenty years ago, the case might have been different.
Link Posted: 11/7/2002 7:55:49 AM EDT
[#49]
I wasn't very impressed with the CAR-97 Oly lower I ordered. It ran $240 delivered which I liked but it wasn't properly assembled. The safety detent and spring were in backwards(detent in the grip, spring running up into the selector) so the first the that happened when I flipped to fire was a bent spring and a stuck safety. Also the hammer spring was bent on one side. After I fixed that minor stuff it was OK. Get a Bushmaster. Fit and function are better in my limited experience.
Link Posted: 11/7/2002 7:57:35 AM EDT
[#50]
I wasn't very impressed with the CAR-97 Oly lower I ordered. It ran $240 delivered which I liked but it wasn't properly assembled. The safety detent and spring were in backwards(detent in the grip, spring running up into the selector) so the first thing that happened when I flipped to fire was a bent spring. Also the hammer spring was bent on one side. After I fixed that minor stuff it was OK. Get a Bushmaster. Fit and function are better in my limited experience.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top