Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
FightLite / ARES SCR Pics (Page 1 of 45)
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 45
Posted: 3/30/2015 2:13:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Andromax]
The ARES SCR

I had been thinking about buying a Beretta Rx4 / Benelli MR1 at the ridiculous post import mark up. Cool rifle, truly but I'd never pay the $2k for it that people think they're worth.

Then I discover the Ares SCR.

This is the creator's personal SCR, from what I gather.

I don't even live in a ban state. I live in Alaska. I'm certainly not over the AR15, but I've been wanting a traditional stock on a semi auto rifle for a long time, but I refuse to buy a mini14. Never owned one. Im not hating on them, I just don't want one.
I just NEEEED one of these. I figure I'll just buy the lower, since they sell them with the bolt for like $500.

Anyone else not in a ban state just love this thing?

Anyone shot it? does the recoil feel any different?

Also post pics if you got em.
Link Posted: 3/9/2017 3:16:30 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By RDTCU:

Not a good fit for a rifle, they are not vertically adjustable (besides choosing a different aperture) and the front post is low to start with.
They are set up for the ballistics of a slug from a Saiga 12 after all.
I used them on my .45 SBR, and I like them, but I had to weld up the front sight post and file it down to dial it in.

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff206/devtucker/AR-45/IMG_20160922_202657819.jpg
http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff206/devtucker/AR-45/IMG_20150121_204603_612.jpg
View Quote

That thing is bad ass dude...
Have not seen an upper like that. Tell me about your build
Link Posted: 3/9/2017 3:28:57 AM EDT
[#2]
Pics as promised.
Added CZ sights, swapped out the A2 with a Griffin Flash Comp taper mount.
Also put some shims between the front pivot pin and the receiver.

Nice and light. The right side reciprocating action is very intuitive for this gun.

Originally Posted By KolarSkeet:
If you are going to d&t your SCR carrier, make sure you know what you're doing.  They are hardened and can be a nightmare on drill bits and taps.  I wonder what Ares gets for a spare bolt carrier, might be worth an experiment if it isn't too crazy.
View Quote

The drill and tap was a piece of cake. The AR-Stoner handle is hollow knurled tube held on with a 10-32 hex head bolt.
Started with a center drill bit and finished with a 5/32"
Tapped quite easily with a 10-32 HSS tap.

The hardest part for me was deburring the inside of the BC after I was all done.

Ill add some pics with one of my suppressors later.

I think I am gonna put a MicroMOA 3 position Govnah gas block on it for suppressed use, with a bonus off position for super quiet hunting/plinking option.
Not sure what optic I am gonna go with I got a couple scopes laying around.
Link Posted: 3/9/2017 8:30:37 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Andromax:
Pics as promised.
View Quote

I really wanted to be happy about your post and tell you how awesomely that side charger turned about ... but then you had to go and talk about things like suppressors.

j/k (mad at NY, not you.)  It did turn great!  Might seriously have to consider building one of those.  Wonder if I can purchase an extra carrier from FightLite ...
Link Posted: 3/9/2017 9:12:20 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By CarpNY:  I really wanted to be happy about your post and tell you how awesomely that side charger turned about ... but then you had to go and talk about things like suppressors. j/k (mad at NY, not you.)  It did turn great!  Might seriously have to consider building one of those.  Wonder if I can purchase an extra carrier from FightLite ...
View Quote

Are y'all permitted Flaming Pigs in NY?  .22" LR adapter, SSS, fast twist bbl, Flaming pig...
Link Posted: 3/9/2017 10:29:06 AM EDT
[Last Edit: CarpNY] [#5]
Originally Posted By backbencher:
Are y'all permitted Flaming Pigs in NY?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Are y'all permitted Flaming Pigs in NY?

There's some debate about that.  Under the SAFE Act, we cannot have a "flash suppressor, muzzle [brake], muzzle compensator or threaded barrel" on a detachable magazine semi-auto rifle.  The Flaming Pig and other flash cans don't reduce flash, muzzle climb or felt recoil, only the shooter's perception of sound and flash, so they shouldn't be a problem.  NYSP won't give any rulings ahead of time (i.e., before you're arrested and on trial), though.

.22" LR adapter, SSS, fast twist bbl

What does this do for you?  (I'm not sure what an SSS is.)
Link Posted: 3/9/2017 11:18:30 AM EDT
[#6]
Aguila .22" SSS is 60 grain .22" Short that is as long as .22" LR.  Slow and quiet.  The Flaming Pig is a BATFE approved one baffle suppressor, essentially.
Link Posted: 3/9/2017 11:19:37 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/9/2017 11:49:53 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By gadgetguy1288:

That's my thinking as well. I picked up a gen 1 lower last year for $450/shipped. I think at that price($450-500) it was a good deal for something different, but at $600-650 like they are now, I think once the ban state demand is fulfilled they are going to have a tough time moving them.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By gadgetguy1288:

That's my thinking as well. I picked up a gen 1 lower last year for $450/shipped. I think at that price($450-500) it was a good deal for something different, but at $600-650 like they are now, I think once the ban state demand is fulfilled they are going to have a tough time moving them.

CA alone is over 10% of the national population, then you have several states in the northeast like NY, Mass, CT...etc.  That probably gets you to at least 25% of the national population.  

If youre expecting that market population to get saturated, you are probably going to be waiting forever.  If these guys were selling in volume like Aero or PSA, it might happen.  At their  current speed I doubt it ever will.  

This is a quality piece that is all proprietary, and they are probably involved in a legal battle with that asshole Jesse James over his obvious patent infringement.  Add to that how the overall gun industry is slowing down like crazy (and yet these are still selling out almost instantly, even at $600 a pop) and ya... I don't see these getting much cheaper in the near future.  Wish it wasn't so cuz I'd love to own one but its just not in the cards right now.  

Originally Posted By Spinbang:

Here is mine.  For me they line up great when I just quickly mount the rifle, and that's the kind of shooting I envision for this gun.
CZ had a discount sale so they were a bit less than normal.  Still not cheap but very well made.  I have no intention of putting any other optics on this rifle.  

You are in California.  That flash hider means your weapon is an Assault Weapon as defined by the CA DOJ.  Swap it out with a brake or a thread protector before you ever go shooting with that thing.
Link Posted: 3/9/2017 12:33:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Aguila .22" SSS is 60 grain .22" Short that is as long as .22" LR.  Slow and quiet.
View All Quotes
Aguila .22" SSS is 60 grain .22" Short that is as long as .22" LR.  Slow and quiet.

Ah, gotcha.  Interesting.

Originally Posted By backbencher: The Flaming Pig is a BATFE approved one baffle suppressor, essentially.

Originally Posted By Aimless:
You would have to be very interested in a trip through the criminal justice system to have a pig can on your rifle in NY

Oops.  I was thinking that it was just a flash can like the KAK or the new MI.  Yeah, sounds like Flaming Pig = trip to a Gulag camp, here in NY.
Link Posted: 3/9/2017 1:36:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By CarpNY:  Ah, gotcha.  Interesting.

Oops.  I was thinking that it was just a flash can like the KAK or the new MI.  Yeah, sounds like Flaming Pig = trip to a Gulag camp, here in NY.
View Quote

Yeah, if Aimless says no, then nevermind.
Link Posted: 3/9/2017 1:38:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 3/9/2017 1:52:22 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Aimless:  I wouldn't put a screw on lawn gnome on the end of my rifle in NY. Being right after $ 40k in legal fees isn't a "win"
View Quote

What would you name your new boat?  "Flaming Pig"?  

Are target crowns legal there?
Link Posted: 3/9/2017 1:53:41 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 3/9/2017 2:14:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Are target crowns legal there?
View Quote

Hope so.  I have two of them.
Link Posted: 3/9/2017 2:25:25 PM EDT
[#15]
A target crown is just a shallow flash can.  No threads needed.  
Link Posted: 3/9/2017 6:37:43 PM EDT
[#16]
No suppressors in NY?

They're a frivolous accessory anyways.

Another pic.

I'm a terrible photographer.
I'mma try to get it out shooting in the morning.
Link Posted: 3/9/2017 8:49:17 PM EDT
[#17]
At this point, when I see one in my hand for $500 out the door, I'll jump on it. not till then. I'd really like to build one of these up with a lightweight barrel and a simple al freefloat tube. It would be a fun shooter. Till then... not happening.
Link Posted: 3/9/2017 10:42:34 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Getnlwr:
At this point, when I see one in my hand for $500 out the door, I'll jump on it. not till then. I'd really like to build one of these up with a lightweight barrel and a simple al freefloat tube. It would be a fun shooter. Till then... not happening.
View Quote

so basically you want one for the price of a bottom basement, polymer receiver AR.  got it
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 12:28:43 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By mcantu:  so basically you want one for the price of a bottom basement, polymer receiver AR.  got it
View Quote

Aluminum ARs have been @ the $500 mark for awhile now.  The Ruger was advertised on an email deal that someone here posted for $469.  Polymer ARs are @ $400 & dropping.
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 1:28:12 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By bTanZ:
i saw the brownells deal and thought it was a heck of a price...keep us posted!!

i finally (after USPS lost it for 2+ weeks) received my Matrix left side charger... it will be a few weeks before it gets built up as i'm finishing some other projects for now & SCR lowers are still #unobtainium ... :(

update ... i spoke too soon. the package arrived today and it's now clear why it was stuck with USPS so long. an unknown (non water soluble) chemical that kinda smells like really-really strong fabric softener must have spilled/leaked on packages, mine included.  USPS bagged it in plastic so the post carrier wouldn't have to touch it, included a "we are sorry note" and sent in on 2+ weeks late. I emailed the retailer "Chander Hardwoods" this evening to begin a claim with USPS and hopefully get another upper on it's way to me...

It looked good for a minute, but the odor from the chem spill precludes it from coming in the house at present time...  :(
View Quote

Oddly enough I had some magpul rail covers vanish. They came back in a similar condition and smelled like pinesol..
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 1:42:00 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Spinbang] [#21]
dang.  trying to figure out the formatting on this board.
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 10:23:27 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By Spinbang:  dang.  trying to figure out the formatting on this board.
View Quote

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_168/638569_Picture-posting-tutorial-and-PICTURE-test-thread.html
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 10:46:43 AM EDT
[#23]
Not the image posting, but the quote format.
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 11:45:25 AM EDT
[#24]
membership is required for advanced posting features
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 11:51:00 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By Andromax:
Pics as promised.
View Quote

well done!  i'm still trying to get my hands on a lower ... !!!
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 12:02:08 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By Spinbang:  Not the image posting, but the quote format.
View Quote

[ quote ] Take out all the spaces [ / quote ]

Or just hit the quote button.
Link Posted: 3/11/2017 9:21:08 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 3/11/2017 4:52:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Spinbang] [#28]

You are in California.  That flash hider means your weapon is an Assault Weapon as defined by the CA DOJ.  Swap it out with a brake or a thread protector before you ever go shooting with that thing.
View Quote

ARES doesn't call it a flash hider
It has slots at 11, 12 and 1 o'clock and no slots on the bottom, so it isn't diverting flash out of the shooters vision.
It is in fact, putting flash into their vision by design.
I know a lot of people think if it has a large hole at the end its a hider, but I don't see any reference to that in any of the laws.
I'm not worried about it and shoot it as much as I want.  
If they change the law to outlaw a threaded barrel, all bets are off.
Link Posted: 3/11/2017 5:10:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CarpNY] [#29]
ARES doesn't call it a flash hider
It has slots at 11 and 1 o'clock so it isn't diverting flash out of the shooters vision, in fact it is putting flash into their vision by design.
I know a lot of people think if it has a large hole at the end its a hider, but I don't see any reference to that in any of the laws.
I'm not worried about it and shoot it as much as I want.  
If they change the law to outlaw a threaded barrel, all bets are off.
View Quote

Interesting, because this is what they sell for their factory barrel:

which clearly has the small hole.
Link Posted: 3/11/2017 5:15:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Spinbang] [#30]
That didn't come on my factory barrel.  
I bought my gun from a dealer in NY if that makes any difference.
Looks like an odd attachment system.
Link Posted: 3/11/2017 8:17:05 PM EDT
[#31]
That didn't come on my factory barrel.  
I bought my gun from a dealer in NY if that makes any difference.
Looks like an odd attachment system.
View Quote

It wouldn't have been sold that way in NY, since both muzzle brakes and flash hiders are banned features here.  Was yours a complete rifle from Ares or was it a lower with a custom upper?

This is the factory barrel that we get:

which has a non-threaded attachment system for the two Ares/FightLite muzzle brakes (not that you can add them here; they're meant for California, etc.)
Link Posted: 3/11/2017 9:12:39 PM EDT
[#32]
It was sold to me as a complete, factory rifle from a dealer in NY.  
Still had the model "002-KMT" sticker on the stock when I got it, and came in the brown cardboard box shown.
It did not have the Magpul fore end either, but an aluminum rail fore end and the open topped brake.
So, the brake you referenced earlier attaches without threads?
These images below were from the auction, but the rifle I received obviously has a different muzzle device.
The dealer made no mention of this.  
I had emailed ARES about the fore end, asking if it was their install but never heard back as seems to be common for them.
Now I'm not so sure that ARES assembled my rifle as it was sold.  
Oh well, I love it and am not real worried about the legality of my brake.
Thanks for your input.

Link Posted: 3/11/2017 10:07:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CarpNY] [#33]
It was sold to me as a complete, factory rifle from a dealer in NY.  
Still had the model "002-KMT" sticker on the stock when I got it, and came in the brown cardboard box shown.
It did not have the Magpul fore end either, but an aluminum rail fore end and the open topped brake.
So, the brake you referenced earlier attaches without threads?
These images below were from the auction, but the rifle I received obviously has a different muzzle device.
The dealer made no mention of this.  
I had emailed ARES about the fore end, asking if it was their install but never heard back as seems to be common for them.
Now I'm not so sure that ARES assembled my rifle as it was sold.  
Oh well, I love it and am not real worried about the legality of my brake.
Thanks for your input.
http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii89/ezb57/pix395667689_zpsdjg4ddk5.jpg  
http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii89/ezb57/pix787519826_zpspejaavs9.jpg
View Quote

Interesting.  The "KM" in the name presumably denotes Keymod, so that is from the factory.  The barrel, including the brake, I'm not so sure about.  The barrel in the picture seems to have a thread protector on it, but also the ring cut for the SCR brake shown above, so maybe its their barrel for free states (i.e., with threads.)  However, since it doesn't show the muzzle device, I would guess that was added.  Since you don't know who made it and, therefor, exactly what it is, I would be careful.  

This is the standard A2 "birdcage" flash hider:

which looks just like what you have.  Brakes are plentiful and relatively inexpensive.  Not worth the risk, IMHO.
Link Posted: 3/11/2017 10:11:10 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 3/11/2017 10:36:09 PM EDT
[#35]
Hmmmm.
I think you are all correct.
I'll get that off asap.
Thanks.
Link Posted: 3/11/2017 11:01:43 PM EDT
[#36]
Hmmmm.
I think you are all correct.
I'll get that off asap.
Thanks.
View Quote

No problem.  Sorry for that huge A2 pic.  I tried a few smaller ones and they kept coming up as the little broken link icon.

Anyway, back to the thread ...

Link Posted: 3/11/2017 11:19:48 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By CarpNY:

No problem.  Sorry for that huge A2 pic.  I tried a few smaller ones and they kept coming up as the little broken link icon.

Anyway, back to the thread ...

http://i1292.photobucket.com/albums/b563/CarpNY/WP_20170303_15_24_24_Pro_zpsprmlghcw.jpg
View Quote

Gorgeous!
I'm eventually gonna switch to wood I think.
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 10:36:10 AM EDT
[#38]
You guys need to stop buying them so I can buy one!! I just got an email from MGW saying the Monte Carlo receivers were back in stock. I go upstairs, get my credit card and by the time I get back downstairs and back on the computer they're friggin' sold out already!!!

It wasn't even five minutes. Damn neckbeards!!!
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 11:02:54 AM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By TheTallest:
You guys need to stop buying them so I can buy one!! I just got an email from MGW saying the Monte Carlo receivers were back in stock. I go upstairs, get my credit card and by the time I get back downstairs and back on the computer they're friggin' sold out already!!!

View Quote

I just checked there site. Showing IN STOCK for me. Wish I was ready to start on this project, would go ahead and pick one up. Need to finish my 6 retro builds, compact 9mm folder and belt feed project before this one. Too many things at one time.
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 11:06:53 AM EDT
[Last Edit: CarpNY] [#40]

View Quote

That sucks.  I've had that sort of thing happen before (not with these, but often with things that go on big discount sale) and it's so deflating when it comes up out of stock.  Good luck.  

Now that they changed from Ares to Fightlite, there's no way that I'd sell either of my two (both Ares marked.)  If they ever get their capacity up and these become popular long-term, I'll love having my originals.

Want to be really depressed?  Lanbo Armory had "Closeout (Ares) SCR" lowers that listed for $499, but "For an even lower price add to cart."  Clearly, that listing is waaaaaaay outdated, but woulda, coulda, shoulda ...
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 12:31:48 PM EDT
[#41]
That's a great pic of the bolt carrier:

Link Posted: 3/16/2017 12:56:27 PM EDT
[#42]
MidWest Gun Works has'em in stock ... got my name on one!!
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 5:22:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: NachoDip] [#43]
Originally Posted By mcantu:

so basically you want one for the price of a bottom basement, polymer receiver AR.  got it
View Quote
No. Complete LOWER only. I'm not interested in their full rifle.

@mcantu
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 7:57:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TheTallest] [#44]
ORDERED ONE! After a year plus of waiting. Sent a copy of my FFL as well as a copy of my order to them and hopefully they ship it. I'm always unsure when ordering stuff online because I live in a Communist shit hole. So hopefully they see my email and can open the attachment with a copy of my FFL's license.

I had no plans on doing another AR pattern build despite buying a few lowers but now I'm going to build me an SCR!

Man, I haven't been this s excited about a firearm since I bought my first one back in 2014. Now I need to figure out what caliber and where to get some wood furniture for it.

Still would've liked to have gotten one when they were around $500 but I'm happy I was finally able to order one.
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 9:12:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CarpNY] [#45]
View All Quotes
Nice!

ORDERED ONE! After a year plus of waiting. Sent a copy of my FFL as well as a copy of my order to them and hopefully they ship it. I'm always unsure when ordering stuff online because I live in a Communist shit hole. So hopefully they see my email and can open the attachment with a copy of my FFL's license.

I had no plans on doing another AR pattern build despite buying a few lowers but now I'm going to build me an SCR!

Man, I haven't been this s excited about a firearm since I bought my first one back in 2014. Now I need to figure out what caliber and where to get some wood furniture for it.

Still would've liked to have gotten one when they were around $500 but I'm happy I was finally able to order one.
Congrats!

As for finding wood furniture, I recommend Ebay.  1100 and 11-87 stocks fit with just a little mod where it meets the receiver (have to bore the hole our just a little.)  A matching handguard is a little tougher.  Most wood AR front ends are not free floating.
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 10:01:12 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 7:06:51 AM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By FightLite:

Ok guys, they're going fast wherever they end up because the demand for SCR rifles and lowers is huge! Since Midwest Gun Works is reportedly sold out already, (we haven't verified this ourselves, so suggest that you still give them a call) I can give you all a heads-up that RSR Group has a shipment going out to them tomorrow. Get on their list because they'll probably all move out the day they get them in next week. Thanks for your interest and patience; we're getting them out the door as fast as we can!
View Quote
I managed to order one of the Monte Carlo stocked ones last night. The notification I originally got from MGW was for the Sporter stocked version so when I went to their website it still showed the Monte Carlo stocked one OOS. A few hours after I got the notification for the Sporter one I got the notification that the Monte Carlo was back in stock so I ordered one.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 10:19:04 AM EDT
[#48]
By the time I got notification of the Monte Carlo being available at Midwest it was gone...
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 11:39:21 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 1:06:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CarpNY] [#50]
Originally Posted By doc_Zox:
it might be nice if they sold them without the stock at all
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By doc_Zox:
it might be nice if they sold them without the stock at all
The stock holds in the rear takedown pin detente/spring and you have to open their recoil system to install the stock.  I suppose they could send the parts in a baggy and put a disclaimer like "the installation should only be completed by a gunsmith."  Probably not worth the headache on their end for something that they would likely only discount by $30.

The Plainsman is a nice stock.  Check out their "Custom Option" to change the wood/color, finish, pad and laser-cut texture (checkering, stippling, etc.)

Example:
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 45
FightLite / ARES SCR Pics (Page 1 of 45)
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Top Top