User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 28
Posted: 9/2/2009 2:59:17 PM EDT
DSA Uppers

Thinking about one just to put through the ringer...
Link Posted: 9/2/2009 3:20:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Anyone??
Link Posted: 9/2/2009 3:26:22 PM EDT
[#2]
wow... the price is right...
Link Posted: 9/2/2009 3:52:43 PM EDT
[#3]
If nothing else it'll make a good back-up gun at that price.
Link Posted: 9/2/2009 3:56:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
If nothing else it'll make a good back-up gun at that price.

That's for sure... a low $400 complete upper is one heck of a deal.
Link Posted: 9/2/2009 4:59:13 PM EDT
[#5]
how much for all the other parts to make it complete??
Link Posted: 9/2/2009 5:10:34 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

how much for all the other parts to make it complete??

With what I'd put in it:

Upper - $275

LMT BCG - $130

BCM charging handle - $23

Total - $428

Not bad for a complete upper with quality internals.
Link Posted: 9/2/2009 5:18:30 PM EDT
[#7]
I don't need an upper, but I just ordered one anyway.

At $275 you gotta be crazy not to order one.  
When's the last time you saw a quality upper for $275?
Link Posted: 9/2/2009 5:23:09 PM EDT
[#8]
I have a friend who is looking to build their first AR on a budget... I may suggest using this, and upgrade a bunch of parts on my Bushy and sell him the leftovers.
Link Posted: 9/2/2009 5:23:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for the heads up. I do not really need another AR(Hah!), but I do not have a M4 version yet so what the hey. Another project to put together.
Link Posted: 9/2/2009 5:29:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Thanks for the heads up. I do not really need another AR(Hah!), but I do not have a M4 version yet so what the hey. Another project to put together.

I mean, shit, $275!!  And these guys are an industry partner!  I know it's no BCM, not chrome lined,  but what the hell, $275!! for what I can determine, something probably on the same level as DelTon or even Rock River.

I may buy a few, make them NY AWB compliant, and flip them for $350.  

Not a bad deal.  And I just sold a damn upper because I had too many!!

Link Posted: 9/2/2009 5:37:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Damn I'm torn! What to do?
Link Posted: 9/2/2009 5:41:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Buy two
Link Posted: 9/2/2009 6:14:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Sure, not a bad price...but think about it...

Receiver $100
Barrel assembly $155
Handguards $20

Spend an additional $60 and get a 1/7 5.56 chrome lined DD barrel with an FSB from PKFirearms...

They'd even put it together for you.
Link Posted: 9/2/2009 6:40:45 PM EDT
[#14]
Broke down and got one.  I guess it'll either be a back-up gun or a .22 trainer.
Link Posted: 9/2/2009 6:42:29 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Receiver $100
Barrel assembly $155
Handguards $20

Spend an additional $60 and get a 1/7 5.56 chrome lined DD barrel with an FSB from PKFirearms...

Good point! If it was chrome lined I'd buy one for this price but for a little more you do get a, presumably, better quality name brand 1/7 barrel.

$495 DD upper vs $420 ($275 upper + $15 charging handle + $130 LMT, DD, RRA or PK MP tested BCG)

edit: pair one of these with a Sabre lower from PK @ $265 and you've got a nice budget carbine for $685-760. Add $40-50 for either an MBUS rear, new Colt carry handle, or other rear sight off the EE.
Link Posted: 9/3/2009 3:28:49 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Receiver $100
Barrel assembly $155
Handguards $20

How do you figure that out?  I don't see a DD barrel for less than $225 on PK.  And a proper reciever (still without M4 feedramps) for less than $130.  Add handguards, FH and your close to $400 WITHOUT a BCG/CH.

Link Posted: 9/3/2009 4:31:14 AM EDT
[#17]
Not chrome lined.  

It's certainly a lovely departure from the parts shortage of the past year, though.

- BG
Link Posted: 9/3/2009 5:56:54 AM EDT
[#18]
I might pick this up since I need an upper for a dedicated .22 upper saweeet!
Link Posted: 9/3/2009 7:01:22 AM EDT
[#19]
I called and ordered one. Shipping is very reasonable, they charged me $13. At the same time I ordered a stripped M4 upper which cost a whopping $70.

It sounds like these uppers aren't built yet, and they expect them to be shipped out in about a week.
Link Posted: 9/3/2009 7:09:30 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Receiver $100
Barrel assembly $155
Handguards $20

How do you figure that out?  I don't see a DD barrel for less than $225 on PK.  And a proper reciever (still without M4 feedramps) for less than $130.  Add handguards, FH and your close to $400 WITHOUT a BCG/CH.

OK, sorry, $70 extra for the barrel.

Don't know why they charge $130 for the receiver - Bravo has them on sale for either 90 or 95 at the moment.

$275 for a "bottom of the barrel" barreled upper without BCG/CH or $345 for a "top notch" barreled upper without BCG/CH.

Choice is clear to me...
Link Posted: 9/3/2009 7:24:22 AM EDT
[#21]
Is the nitride process DSA uses the same as LWRC?

BTW I ordered one for my KISS/ truck gun build.

Link Posted: 9/3/2009 7:32:41 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I called and ordered one. Shipping is very reasonable, they charged me $13. At the same time I ordered a stripped M4 upper which cost a whopping $70.

It sounds like these uppers aren't built yet, and they expect them to be shipped out in about a week.

Says 24 - 48 hours on the website.

Link Posted: 9/3/2009 7:45:08 AM EDT
[#23]

OK, sorry, $70 extra for the barrel.

Don't know why they charge $130 for the receiver - Bravo has them on sale for either 90 or 95 at the moment.

$275 for a "bottom of the barrel" barreled upper without BCG/CH or $345 for a "top notch" barreled upper without BCG/CH.

Choice is clear to me

I would not call DSA "bottom barrel". They make great FAL stuff and are apparently entering the AR field also. They are selling
cheap to get attention. I am sure that price won't stay that low but if they make their ARs like they do their FALs then they will be far
from "bottom of the barrel". Not tier 1 but not model 1/blackthorne either. I'd say middle ground.
Link Posted: 9/3/2009 7:47:27 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I would not call DSA "bottom barrel". They make great FAL stuff and are apparently entering the AR field also. They are selling
cheap to get attention. I am sure that price won't stay that low but if they make their ARs like they do their FALs then they will be far
from "bottom of the barrel"

Sure, they make good stuff, but it's hard to get fewer features than a 1/9 non chrome lined 4140 barrel.

At least it has M4 ramps.

It's been my experience that companies who choose to produce 1/9 non chrome lined 4140 barrels generally skimp on other areas. I'd like to know the gas port size, for one.

They are selling cheap because the craze is over and every company that expanded during the rush is experiencing an "oh shit" moment as sales drop precipitously.
Link Posted: 9/3/2009 7:59:22 AM EDT
[#25]
This is a decent price and we will continue to see deals like this due to the condition of the AR market.

I agree with 87GN that the DD barrel is better deal. Equivilent barrels to the DD are selling for up to a $100 more.
Link Posted: 9/3/2009 8:14:48 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sure, they make good stuff, but it's hard to get fewer features than a 1/9 non chrome lined 4140 barrel.

It's been my experience that companies who choose to produce 1/9 non chrome lined 4140 barrels generally skimp on other areas. I'd like to know the gas port size, for one.

They are selling cheap because the craze is over and every company that expanded during the rush is experiencing an "oh shit" moment as sales drop precipitously.

With the amount of use and research that has gone into improving the AR rifles, what we demand out an AR15 is more than any other rifle on the market.
Would the DSA be good for a shtf/depend on your life gun? No, but I don't think they are trying sell to that market. For a recreational shooter or toss around rifle
on the cheap this upper probably fits the bill perfectly especially with DSA's rep in the FAL business. Using a DD barrel would be a better choice but it's not necessary
if you just want to shoot coke cans every once in a while.
Link Posted: 9/3/2009 8:31:19 AM EDT
[#27]
We are entering the AR market more every day and we are making more and more parts ourselfs unlike alot of the AR market. DSA from now on will be a player in this market and we are happy to be in this market with all of great customers and companies.

We are top Tier when it comes to standard M4 configuration and I promiss you that if you've been active in buying AR parts there is an extremly good chance that you already have DSA made parts.

Is DSA in the same class of parts as Bravo? NOOO! Bravo goes a step or two futher as does D.D. with thier barrel.

The DSA AR market is good parts at good prices this is something the gun industry needs after the last 10 months of craziness and this depressed economy.

BTW we still believe the FAL is the Cadillac of all the military designs.
Link Posted: 9/3/2009 9:09:10 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

With the amount of use and research that has gone into improving the AR rifles, what we demand out an AR15 is more than any other rifle on the market.
Would the DSA be good for a shtf/depend on your life gun? No, but I don't think they are trying sell to that market. For a recreational shooter or toss around rifle
on the cheap this upper probably fits the bill perfectly especially with DSA's rep in the FAL business. Using a DD barrel would be a better choice but it's not necessary
if you just want to shoot coke cans every once in a while.

So a 1:9 twist non-chrome lined rifle can't be used to defend your life.  Too funny.  Sure it's not the "best" but it could still get the job done.
Link Posted: 9/3/2009 9:14:48 AM EDT
[#29]
1:9 non chrome is not mall ninja proof , as a matter of fact its so harmless that in the next AWB you will still be able to buy rifles with it. Oppps now everyone knows why DSA choose to do 1:9 non chrome. I just hope the that the antis don't rule that Nitride barrels will make the rifle more dangerous. Then were screwed
Link Posted: 9/3/2009 9:26:53 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
1:9 non chrome is not mall ninja proof , as a matter of fact its so harmless that in the next AWB you will still be able to buy rifles with it. Oppps now everyone knows why DSA choose to do 1:9 non chrome. I just hope the that the antis don't rule that Nitride barrels will make the rifle more dangerous. Then were screwed

When are you shipping my upper?  Ordered it last night

Link Posted: 9/3/2009 9:37:31 AM EDT
[#31]
Several have shipped today it should go out today if not will be tommorow for sure.
Link Posted: 9/3/2009 9:55:39 AM EDT
[#32]
Good deal...  I've used DSA stripped uppers before and they are top notch fit and finish.

Pair this upper .... $275
With decent BCG .... $130
Cav Arms Lower .... $150
LPK ..... $60
Charging handle and MBUS .... $75

You have a pretty nice, completely capable, light little carbine for $690

How bout them apples...

- AG
Link Posted: 9/3/2009 9:57:43 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

So a 1:9 twist non-chrome lined rifle can't be used to defend your life.  Too funny.  Sure it's not the "best" but it could still get the job done.

Indeed it could. It's a good upper for the money, but for serious social purposes I'd opt for something more expensive. YMMV.
Link Posted: 9/3/2009 10:04:56 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Indeed it could. It's a good upper for the money, but for serious social purposes I'd opt for something more expensive. YMMV.

I have several more expense rifles as well.  This should be a good inexpensive KISS rifle.  I figure a cheaper KISS rifle in hand is better than a expensive rifle in the safe.
Link Posted: 9/3/2009 10:10:35 AM EDT
[#35]
I'm all about bargains and saving money. I wouldn't call any of the ARs I own at the moment expensive. Not cheap, but not expensive.

But I'm not a KISS guy either.
Link Posted: 9/3/2009 12:34:21 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm not sure that the non chrome lined barrel is a deal breaker. From what I've read, the nitride treatment in some ways superior to chrome. It is used in many other weapons. I'm also not convinced that 1/7 is needed for most applications. Personally, I shoot very little 75+grain ammo. Most of my shooting is done with 55-69 grain bullets and the 1/9 twist works fine. I think $275 sounds like a hell of a deal.

Link Posted: 9/3/2009 1:20:57 PM EDT
[#37]
I'm getting one.  They're not my favorite configuration, but DSA is GTG.  I bet they'll be doing all the big boy stuff (MPI/HPT, CMV, etc...) in no time at all, as well as offering more affordable configurations as well.  They are some of the prettiest and best assembled factory rifles I've seen.
Link Posted: 9/3/2009 1:42:27 PM EDT
[#38]
I bought 2––- while I was online, I also ordered a BCM F/A BCG ($160)  and charging handle ($24). I figure I'll put one together and put one away for a rainy day. With the DSA upper, the BCM BCG and charging handle, I figure I have a complete upper for around $475 using what I think are pretty good parts.
Link Posted: 9/3/2009 2:32:20 PM EDT
[#39]
DSA has been the FAL maker for years. I wouldn't worry about their quality. I have one of their stripped uppers from AIM and recommend them to others.

Chromed barrel or not. How did we win WW2 without chromed barrels on our Garands, shooting corrosive ammo no less?
Link Posted: 9/3/2009 3:09:23 PM EDT
[#40]
I ordered one, price is good. It will go on a finished lower and be a finished gun for a friends 1st AR.

Looking forward to it.
Link Posted: 9/3/2009 4:57:15 PM EDT
[#41]
So few folks have picked up on the "nitrided" in the description.  I think if they had, there would be more interest in this.  The only other "nitrided" AR barrel out there which I am aware of is LWRC (and maybe superior barrels).  Anyone know of others?
Link Posted: 9/3/2009 5:25:11 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
DSA Uppers

Thinking about one just to put through the ringer...

Christ! I was just congratulating myself on my $480 LMT upper.

How can they sell uppers for less than most other places charge for just the barrel? Something sounds odd about this...
Link Posted: 9/3/2009 5:37:15 PM EDT
[#43]
Introductory, non-jacked-up price
Link Posted: 9/4/2009 1:31:53 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
So few folks have picked up on the "nitrided" in the description.  I think if they had, there would be more interest in this.  The only other "nitrided" AR barrel out there which I am aware of is LWRC (and maybe superior barrels).  Anyone know of others?

I believe that POF uses the process in some of their barrels as does SIG. From what I understand, Glock's Tenifer treatment is also a nitrided finish.

Link Posted: 9/4/2009 4:54:48 AM EDT
[#45]
Thanks!

I have been waiting for a good deal like this.  order placed!
Link Posted: 9/4/2009 6:23:11 AM EDT
[#46]
This might be just the ticket for a first AR for my 18-year old brother.
Link Posted: 9/4/2009 6:34:22 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
We are entering the AR market more every day and we are making more and more parts ourselfs unlike alot of the AR market. DSA from now on will be a player in this market and we are happy to be in this market with all of great customers and companies.

We are top Tier when it comes to standard M4 configuration and I promiss you that if you've been active in buying AR parts there is an extremly good chance that you already have DSA made parts.

Is DSA in the same class of parts as Bravo? NOOO
! Bravo goes a step or two futher as does D.D. with thier barrel.

The DSA AR market is good parts at good prices this is something the gun industry needs after the last 10 months of craziness and this depressed economy.

BTW we still believe the FAL is the Cadillac of all the military designs.

This is the line that convinced me to order. If you had tried to play up this upper as "just as good" I would have rolled my eyes and moved along. Addmitting it is good enough for the money shows integrity, all I was looking for was a "good enough" upper for the girlfriend. I know better uppers exist but I doubt they will ever be less than $300 delivered.
Link Posted: 9/4/2009 6:54:59 AM EDT
[#48]
That is the dumbest thing I have ever read.  I would take that upper paired with an LMT bolt into battle any day  of the week.  It is just fine.  You guys sometimes are so sold on the latest and greatest thing.  The upper meets every spec needed except maybe the twist rate for some people.  I personally own 1/7 LMTs but I ordered two of those uppers so I put my money where my mouth is on this.  That rifle will shoot great and you can definitely stake your life on it.
Link Posted: 9/4/2009 7:02:59 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

This is the line that convinced me to order. If you had tried to play up this upper as "just as good" I would have rolled my eyes and moved along. Addmitting it is good enough for the money shows integrity, all I was looking for was a "good enough" upper for the girlfriend. I know better uppers exist but I doubt they will ever be less than $300 delivered.

I was quite impressed as well.
Link Posted: 9/4/2009 7:26:51 AM EDT
[#50]
All upper orders will ship on Tuesday.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 28
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Top Top