Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/13/2016 9:10:41 AM EDT
I see this stuff starting to pop up around the $23-$25/box range, and I'm guessing it is fairly new based on ad descriptions. Has anyone seen or handled it themselves, or for that matter shot any of it?
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 12:20:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Well then...guess nobody has any info
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 12:24:12 PM EDT
[#2]
OST. I'm working on a creedmoor, so I'm also interested in hearing how this performs.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 2:45:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Tag.

Just got my 6.5 and looking for ammo options.

Seems the 130g Prime offering is where it's at based on reviews
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 7:56:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Federal American Eagle brand is offering quite a few "Match" rounds lately... the problem is.. I still haven't seen any out there. Still waiting on the AE 77gr OTM .223 round.

http://www.targetsportsusa.com/federal-american-eagle-556-nato-77-grain-open-tip-match-fc262-p-58827.aspx

Link Posted: 4/21/2016 5:10:46 PM EDT
[#5]
I've seen them in stock online, the problem is the price.

For similar money you can go Prime/Hornady for known good quality.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 11:03:51 AM EDT
[Last Edit: md7989] [#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By SamW:
I've seen them in stock online, the problem is the price.

For similar money you can go Prime/Hornady for known good quality.
View Quote

True...CTD has them listed at $22.69/box though

https://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/federal-american-eagle-65-creedmoor-open-tip-match-140-grains-2700-fps-20-rounds-per-box-ae65crd1-604544618013.do

I wish Prime's shipping wasn't as high and that they had not raised the price per box of ammo compared to where it was previously, or I'd order a metric $hit ton of their 130gr BTHP...it's like they realized their stuff was good and people liked it, so they bumped it up in $$$. But yes, their ammo is apparently the stuff for target shooting with it coming in a little cheaper than the 140gr ELD-M.

When I get my Savage 6.5 back form the gunsmith who is resolving my tight throat issue, I might order a box or two of the American Eagle stuff just to see what it does...I really want some of that Prime stuff though, but can't bring myself to order any more substantial amounts of 6.5 ammo due to having enough components on hand to reload about 400 of them and have about another 400 120 gr & 140gr factory Hornady AMAX loads. I think Prime is around $1.48/round shipped where as my reloads are well under $1/round (buying the last 3 boxes of 140gr AMAX bullets at Cabela's a few weeks ago when they had their Hornady reloading sale was a HUGE SCORE!!)
Link Posted: 5/12/2016 8:48:51 AM EDT
[#7]
They are going to have a hard time matching hornadys quality.  I'm still amazed at the accuracy of the factory loads even though I hand load. The factory 120s were accurate enough to flip prairie dogs at 800yards. Best factory ammo I've ever shot. And if you shop its $22 to $24 per box.
Link Posted: 5/12/2016 2:15:10 PM EDT
[#8]
The problem using commercial match rounds is the bullets are not close to the lands for better accuracy. Just measured Hornady 140 ELD-M, 2.820. When I checked my Savage 10T 6.5cm, I measured 2.860. My groups sucked @100 yards. You guys are lucky shooting commercial match ammo with success.
Link Posted: 5/12/2016 3:38:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Bearcat24:
The problem using commercial match rounds is the bullets are not close to the lands for better accuracy. Just measured Hornady 140 ELD-M, 2.820. When I checked my Savage 10T 6.5cm, I measured 2.860. My groups sucked @100 yards. You guys are lucky shooting commercial match ammo with success.
View Quote

Define "sucked"? That much jump should be fine. At least it was on the 140 Amax, which did not seem jump sensitive.
Link Posted: 5/12/2016 5:43:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Lennyo3034:

Define "sucked"? That much jump should be fine. At least it was on the 140 Amax, which did not seem jump sensitive.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Lennyo3034:
Originally Posted By Bearcat24:

Was lucky to get a 5 round set within a 6 inch target @100 yards. But should ad I sent the rifle to savage for there inspection. Sent them a pic of my target shooting both 140 ELD-M and 129 SST. Got the SST's to get in a 4 inch group, which still sucked. Bipod up front and sand bags under the butt.
When I was doing load development on my 10T 308, loaded both 178 gr A-Max and match at 2.800 OAL. A-Max did great. Match looked like a shot gun blast. Once I put them 0.010 from the lands, tight within a 50 cent piece. Could have done better if I had my sled bed.
Link Posted: 5/12/2016 7:29:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Mine was chambered for 140s,  26" benchmark heavy Palma on a surgeon action and my 140 hand loads shoot better than factory loads seated long but still mag length. But I bought some 120s for extra ammo and brass and my barrel shot them under 1/2" moa even with the jump, that's what I consider good factory ammo. I always buy factory loaded instead of empty brass in 6.5 creedmoor since it shoots so well.  I'm sure they vary from lot to lot on quality.
Link Posted: 5/13/2016 9:49:36 AM EDT
[Last Edit: md7989] [#12]
Originally Posted By Rlb40x:
Mine was chambered for 140s,  26" benchmark heavy Palma on a surgeon action and my 140 hand loads shoot better than factory loads seated long but still mag length. But I bought some 120s for extra ammo and brass and my barrel shot them under 1/2" moa even with the jump, that's what I consider good factory ammo. I always buy factory loaded instead of empty brass in 6.5 creedmoor since it shoots so well.  I'm sure they vary from lot to lot on quality.
View Quote

Same experience here. The factory Hornady 140 AMAX loads would shoot 0.6-0.7" in my gun and the factory Hornady 120 AMAX loads with more jump to the lands  would shoot 0.4-0.5". Now that was before I had the gunsmith work on the throat to resolve the tight throat issue I had. I got it back yesterday and I'm going to shoot it again tomorrow to get some more brass to start working on hand loads.
Link Posted: 6/8/2016 11:46:21 PM EDT
[#13]
I have a box but haven't shot it yet. I just got my rifle and have only shot AMAX and ELDM.

The AMAX stuff was shooting about 1 MOA. The ELDM is giving me .23 MOA on average. But I've shot a few groups down around 0.17 - 0.19 MOA. Those of you saying factory ammo like ELDM is giving your 4-6" groups... something has got to be wrong with your rifle. A six-inch group... think about that for a second.
Link Posted: 6/9/2016 8:12:46 AM EDT
[Last Edit: md7989] [#14]
Originally Posted By FourT6and2:
I have a box but haven't shot it yet. I just got my rifle and have only shot AMAX and ELDM.

The AMAX stuff was shooting about 1 MOA. The ELDM is giving me .23 MOA on average. But I've shot a few groups down around 0.17 - 0.19 MOA. Those of you saying factory ammo like ELDM is giving your 4-6" groups... something has got to be wrong with your rifle. A six-inch group... think about that for a second.
View Quote

He has thought about it for more than a second and his posts verify something was wrong with his gun. His gun is now back at Savage awaiting diagnosis and repair...

Please post a report on the American Eagle 140 gr BTHP stuff when you get a chance to shoot it. Personally I'm waiting for Prime to have their 6.5 130 gr BTHP stuff back in stock. Kind of sucks though that they started out selling it for $25/box shipped and now it's much higher than that per box shipped (they raised prices right when they started seeing people buying it lol)
Link Posted: 6/9/2016 10:09:02 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By md7989:

He has thought about it for more than a second and his posts verify something was wrong with his gun. His gun is now back at Savage awaiting diagnosis and repair...

Please post a report on the American Eagle 140 gr BTHP stuff when you get a chance to shoot it. Personally I'm waiting for Prime to have their 6.5 130 gr BTHP stuff back in stock. Kind of sucks though that they started out selling it for $25/box shipped and now it's much higher than that per box shipped (they raised prices right when they started seeing people buying it lol)
View All Quotes

I wish Prime offered heavier bullets. I asked if they had plans to and they said no.
Link Posted: 6/9/2016 10:15:13 AM EDT
[#16]

I wish I had some Prime and AE to shoot today.  So far I'll be bringing the following to the range for a little accuracy evaluation:

Hornady 143gr Precision Hunter

Hornady 140gr ELD-M

Hornady 129gr SST Superformance

Hornady 120gr AMAX

Hornady 120gr GMX Superformance

Winchester 140gr Match

Link Posted: 6/9/2016 5:34:10 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By jaqufrost:
I wish I had some Prime and AE to shoot today.  So far I'll be bringing the following to the range for a little accuracy evaluation:

Hornady 140gr ELD-M
Hornady 120gr AMAX
Winchester 140gr Match

View Quote

Awesome! Keep us posted jaq on how they all do compared to keeping the same scope zero throughout
Link Posted: 6/9/2016 5:47:34 PM EDT
[#18]

Hornady 140gr ELD-M
Hornady 120gr AMAX
Winchester 140gr Match

View Quote

Are you shooting this stuff back-to-back? Will you be cleaning and then re-fouling your barrel between each round/load? If they all use the same powder, then you're good. But if they don't all use the same powder, that will skew your results.
Link Posted: 6/9/2016 7:39:28 PM EDT
[#19]
My accuracy testing was a bust. I've got to get rid of my bipod bounce with this setup. When I went prone and loaded my bipod hard to reduce bounce I ripped the polymer Mlok rail up.

To top it off, my chronograph was reporting over a 100fps difference because based upon the point my bullets were crossing over the sensors. Looks like I need a better chronograph.

My front bag was too low and my mag was dragging the bench when I tried to use it.

I'll get it all worked out eventually, but the technique that worked with my 20" 5.56 isn't working so hot with this setup, lots of vertical stringing.
Link Posted: 6/9/2016 10:35:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: md7989] [#20]
My accuracy testing was a bust. I've got to get rid of my bipod bounce with this setup. When I went prone and loaded my bipod hard to reduce bounce I ripped the polymer Mlok rail up.

To top it off, my chronograph was reporting over a 100fps difference because based upon the point my bullets were crossing over the sensors. Looks like I need a better chronograph.

My front bag was too low and my mag was dragging the bench when I tried to use it.

I'll get it all worked out eventually, but the technique that worked with my 20" 5.56 isn't working so hot with this setup, lots of vertical stringing.
View Quote

Darn man, hate to hear that. I just worked up a few reloads to shoot this weekend but I think I'll also shoot some factory 120 AMAX, factory 140 AMAX, factory 140 ELD-M, and factory 143 ELD-X. Already shot some and got data, but would be interesting to shoot all on the same day. I've got a box of 20 of the 140 ELD-M but will snag a box of the 143 ELD-X when I run by Cabela's.

And to what the guy above you said about cleaning and refouling:

You're right, it might skew results a little bit. But if his barrel is well "fouled" and shooting good with his main ammo, his test method will be just fine. More often than not cleaning so much will never allow the barrel to get or stay fouled when you're only shooting 10 - 20 rounds of each. I've personally shot several factory 223/556 loads and then shot 4 different reloads using 3 different powders and then results I got then are repeatable when I shoot each ammo individually or in a different order. Also repeatable after cleaning and its fouled again.

Same story when I first got my 6.5 Creedmoor: shot factory 120 AMAX, factory 140 AMAX, and reloads using 123 & 140 AMAX with a few different powders all on the same day without cleaning at all during the routine. Results were also repeatable days and months later whether firing a single type or combo of them all again.

Keep us posted jaq and I'll post what data I can from Saturday. Good news is my new Magnetospeed unit arrived today to replace my faulty one
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 1:41:27 PM EDT
[#21]
Any update?  Thinking about buying 200 rounds of this
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 2:00:43 PM EDT
[#22]
With Federal being arguably the leader in factory match ammo it makes me wonder if this is a trial run and there may be some FGMM 6.5CM on the horizon.

Federal is obviously envious of Hornady's success with the round and may want to capitalize on such, Im sure Lapua is watching this segment closely too.
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 2:08:07 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By GMZ:
With Federal being arguably the leader in factory match ammo it makes me wonder if this is a trial run and there may be some FGMM 6.5CM on the horizon.

Federal is obviously envious of Hornady's success with the round and may want to capitalize on such, Im sure Lapua is watching this segment closely too.
View Quote

And then all of this competition will drive down prices!!

A man can hope
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 2:54:01 PM EDT
[#24]

View Quote

The Lapua 6.5x47L is better in every way except brass availability. I doubt lapua is paying much if any attention to the 6.5cm when they sell every bit of 6.5x47L brass they make.
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 7:00:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: md7989] [#25]
I was close to buying some of this today to try out as my local Cabela's has a lot of it in stock. Whatever bullet they're using seems very cheaply made compared to ammo like FGMM that uses SMKs or Hornady BTHP loaded ammo. The meplats were all kinds of varying shapes and finishes with no consistency. Every one seemed deformed or just lacking material. DEFINITELY not the same quality as say 223 or 308 FGMM rounds

And I looked through 4 different boxes all of the same lot. Plus the brass is marked "FC 6.5 CREEDMOOR" and we all know how FC brass isn't the best for long reloading life.

So I passed...plus at $26/box I can buy Hornady 140 gr ELD-M or Prime 130 gr BTHP if I want factory ammo at that price.
Link Posted: 6/25/2016 12:34:26 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By DrDover:

The Lapua 6.5x47L is better in every way except brass availability. I doubt lapua is paying much if any attention to the 6.5cm when they sell every bit of 6.5x47L brass they make.
View All Quotes

Better performing for a statistically small part of the shooting population. It is still a niche round, specific to precision rifle shooters and more specifically to precision rifle reloaders.

Would it be a better business decision by Lapua, as well as better for the shooting public as a whole, for them to produce 6.5CM brass? You cant possibly reply in the negative.
Link Posted: 8/17/2016 12:49:52 PM EDT
[#27]
Yesterday I tried out 4 different types off ammo from my Savage Model 10T in XLR Chassis.  I only fired one fie shot group of each ammo type so these results are not very scientific.  The results from Best to worst groups where:

5 Shots off a bench

1) Hornady ELD-X 143gr (.7 moa)
2) Hornady ELD-M 140gr (.8 moa)
3) Winchester BTHP 140gr (1.1 moa)
4) Federal OTM 140gr (1.5 moa)

First 2 where basically the same.  The deviation of .8 moa from (1) ELD-X 143  and .4Moa from (3) Winchester to (4) Federal  was by far the most significant.

Honestly I did not shoot as well as I had hoped but I think its mostly me.  I am getting used to a new platform, first time shooting with my XLR Chassis, bolt guns are relatively new to me and I was having trouble with bipod jump.
Link Posted: 8/17/2016 2:48:12 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By DenverDave:
Yesterday I tried out 4 different types off ammo from my Savage Model 10T in XLR Chassis.  I only fired one fie shot group of each ammo type so these results are not very scientific.  The results from Best to worst groups where:

5 Shots off a bench

First 2 where basically the same.  The deviation of .8 moa from (1) ELD-X 143  and .4Moa from (3) Winchester to (4) Federal  was by far the most significant.

Honestly I did not shoot as well as I had hoped but I think its mostly me.  I am getting used to a new platform, first time shooting with my XLR Chassis, bolt guns are relatively new to me and I was having trouble with bipod jump.
View Quote

That's unfortunate.  Was hoping for a great offering from Federal
Link Posted: 9/17/2016 6:34:25 AM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By cone256:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By cone256:

5 Shots off a bench

Yea I'm sure they cheaped out somewhere in making it. It's amazing that they make shit loads and want more than hornady. Probably the only way it would sell is about $15 per box then some guys would buy it for the brass. But anyone with a creedmoor is going to be pissed with an 1.5" group. They better lower their price to what it's worth unless they want it to set in a warehouse.  Same goes with Winchester, I've not heard anything good about it either, but is also higher priced than hornady.   I'll just stay with what I already know shoots. And all my brass will be the same brand.
Link Posted: 10/1/2016 5:13:44 PM EDT
[#30]

View All Quotes

Money talks...

Yes, we currently have 6.5 Creedmoor in to works. We discussed this one at length in Finland during a new products development meeting a few months back. Several of us were pushing this one rather hard, due to the tremendous feedback we'd taken on the cartridge, and the popularity that the cartridge has already earned. Not a big one in Europe, but the US market is a significant share of our business, and we most definitely do listen to customer input. The first set ups are currently being done, and the initial trial run and in-house testing will be done shortly after that. If all goes well, we'll move on with production and hopefully make the formal introduction of this one during the SHOT show in January.

Hang on guys, it's coming.
Kevin Thomas
Lapua USA

Accurate Shooter Thread
Link Posted: 10/12/2016 4:51:15 AM EDT
[#31]
I grabbed a couple boxes of American eagle 140 match for $21 a box to try since it was so cheap.  While out load testing the other day I did a 3 shot group with them and they were touching at 100yrds.  This was out of my Ruger American predator.  Velocity running about 2560 fps out the 22in barrel.
Link Posted: 11/13/2016 12:22:01 AM EDT
[#32]

5 Shots off a bench

View Quote

I doubt I'm as good a shooter as you and my experiences were the same. The Hornady loads shoot much better than AE.
Link Posted: 11/29/2016 1:06:45 AM EDT
[#33]
I used it to break in and sight in my 6.5 Ruger Precision Rifle.

20 shots
Federal 140 OTM
2640 fps avg

20 shots
Hornady 140 ELD-M
2643 fps avg

both shot nice groups under moa at 100 yds.

Link Posted: 2/5/2017 2:43:59 PM EDT
[#34]
I've tried every possible load I can get my hands on from Hornady, as well as Prime and Federal. The 140 otm is the most consistent performer in mine. But the prime is very close. The Federal is the cheapest too, which is a nice change for me.
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 2:19:14 PM EDT
[#35]
I just got a RPR gen ii on Monday and it came with seven boxes of ammo one was the FED AE 140 OTM, I'm going to the range tomorrow to get a feel for the rifle and I'll see how it groups.
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 9:28:58 AM EDT
[#36]
The fed American eagle 140 otm grouped 1.25 yards 100. The Honardy 129 grouped .80, the 143 eld grouped .65. All were 5 shot groups at 100 out of a gen II Ruger Percision rifle.
I'm going to order some Honardy American 140 otm I've heard it's good ammo.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 6:47:38 PM EDT
[#37]
I've had stellar results with the 120 amax hornady loads in my savage.

shoots the 140's very well too.
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 7:54:55 AM EDT
[#38]
I see this stuff starting to pop up around the $23-$25/box range, and I'm guessing it is fairly new based on ad descriptions. Has anyone seen or handled it themselves, or for that matter shot any of it?7
View Quote
Saw some at a show yesterday for $20 a box. I passed. Not worth it to me for the bullet and so-so brass. I would basically use it for fouling shots.
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 12:02:08 AM EDT
[#39]
First time I shot it I was disappointed. I am still learning, still sort of a newbie. But I took my 700 out and shot some good groups with AE 6.5.

3 shot group: http://s4.photobucket.com/user/airsoft76/media/TgtGfx119_zpsad6bqcm0.jpg.html
3 shot group: http://s4.photobucket.com/user/airsoft76/media/TgtGfx116_zpszeeisif2.jpg.html
5 shot group: http://s4.photobucket.com/user/airsoft76/media/TgtGfx1221_zpsz4lv3edv.jpg.html
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 10:55:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: divermedic68] [#40]

View Quote
How are you getting that small of a group when the bullet itself is .264". That's is impossible. Even if you stacked them in the same hole, the smallest group you could get is .264"........

I have to throw up the bullshit flag......
Link Posted: 7/2/2017 2:22:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 03PSD] [#41]
Originally Posted By divermedic68:
How are you getting that small of a group when the bullet itself is .264". That's is impossible. Even if you stacked them in the same hole, the smallest group you could get is .264"........

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By divermedic68:

you measure center to center (or outside edge to outside edge minus bullet diameter) so if there was literally a single hole then measurement would be 0.00". but to your point I agree that sub quarter MOA AVERAGE groups is tough impossible to believe. Post up the details 46&2. If true you would be #1 in the MOA All Day Challenge.

@old_painless
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 10:23:39 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 7/8/2017 9:49:49 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TerryH] [#43]
Good performance with these from my Gen II RPR with 26" PVA barrel. So far the best I've shot but still experimenting.

Link Posted: 9/21/2017 12:30:06 AM EDT
[#44]
At 100 yds the AE140OTM is as good as 120/140 ELDM and Hornady Black from my JP barreled 6.5.  I shot 3 consecutive 3/4 MOA 5 shot groups with it.
Link Posted: 10/3/2017 4:39:49 PM EDT
[#45]
Hey guys, new to the forums. Just wanted to say today I hit the range to sight in a new a Ruger Precision Rifle in 6.5 Creedmoor with a Vortex HTS 6-24 Viper and Vortex rings. Shot the American Eagle 140 grain open tip match ammo and was very very happy and surprised. Weapon fired well, 100 yard groups were tight and consistent.

All in all I'm very happy with this weapon system and ammunition combination. Hope it helps a bit. Hoping to contribute and learn as much from everyone here

Would throw up a pic of the targets if I had any idea how to do that
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top