Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/22/2015 6:11:58 PM EDT
I'm slowly but surely getting into the "long range" game and have come to the point where I need a ballistic program to help me keep up with what my rounds are doing. Right now I use factory ammunition exclusively, though that may change later on. I've been looking at some apps like Shooter, Ballistic, and iSnipe but that's only because they seem to be popular, not necessarily good to go. I need something that is easy to use and understand but will provide good, accurate information and I would prefer it not cost me an arm and a leg. Say, $15/$20 top end
Link Posted: 8/22/2015 7:26:27 PM EDT
[#1]
I've been using Bullet Flight M for a number of years now and have not been disappointed.  It is a bit more than $12 however the Bullet Flight L2 is right at that price point.

It has a very expansive database on bullets and loads so you can find most everything commercially produced.
Link Posted: 8/22/2015 7:35:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Shooter, Ballistic AE, and Applied Ballistics are all good.  Ballistic AE does all sorts of stuff.
Link Posted: 8/22/2015 9:59:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By TeeRex:
Shooter, Ballistic AE, and Applied Ballistics are all good.  Ballistic AE does all sorts of stuff.
View Quote

I like Ballistic AE.  Many use Shooter with great success.  Ballistic updates their software regularly, I do not believe Shooter does (maybe that has changed but a couple of years ago, they did not).  
Link Posted: 8/22/2015 11:21:22 PM EDT
[#4]
I've used Ballistic AE for a few years.  There's a bit to learn, but it will do a lot.

I also used Strelok Pro, it's a little easier to master.

Both have their pros and cons.  

-----

However, my favorite ballistic program isn't a program at all but rather a form of circular slide rule.

If you say "whiz wheel" to a pilot, they'll think E6B or some variant on the theme - a circular slide rule device designed to allow you to set up and solve a variety of aviation related problems.

In this same vein, Accuracy 1st has a much simpler circular slide rule that is designed to determine density altitude through either barometric pressure and temperature or altitude and temperature, and then uses that information and a wheel designed for either your specified bullet, velocity, and sight height, or for one of several standard rounds (M852, M118LR, etc).

You then set the yardage across from the density altitude in one of 4 windows (short range, mid-range, long range low altitude and long range high altitude) and read the elevation under the datum line.   It also has alternate values for velocities 50 fps over and under the design velocity, which allows tuning the results, as well as accommodating changes in velocity with temperature.  On the other side of the sleeve you can again set the range across from the density altitude and read wind 10 mph corrections for full value, medium value and low value winds, as well as spin drift and lead for moving targets at 2, 4, 6, 8 and 10 mph.

There's also a table for inclination angle corrections.

You can order them configured for Mil or MOA, and the wheels are interchangeable, so you can order different wheels for different load/rifle combinations.

https://www.accuracy1stdg.com/store/

The major disadvantages are that it costs more than most apps or programs, and you'll need a wheel for each load/rifle combination.

The advantage is that you can crunch the numbers an produce a solution extremely fast, quicker than you can with most apps, and on par with the more advanced functions in Ballistic AE.  And the results with the whiz wheel are as accurate as Ballistic AE or Strelok.  Plus of course, the batteries will never go dead.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 4:35:29 PM EDT
[#5]
I used Strelok Pro today for my AR out to 600 yards. I did not get a chance to chrono my ammo, so I entered in the factory specs. It got me to within 1/2 MOA of my actual DOPE all the way out to 500, and I was 1MOA off at 600. But it was close enough that it got me into a 12"x18" Shoot N C target all the way out to 500. If I had a chrono I think it would have been even closer.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 7:54:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Been using Mil-Dot Ballistics. My 1st app and so far am impressed with it. Just remember, good data gives good results. That data on the box is almost useless unless you have the same rifle they used to get there data. Use a chrono for accurate data from your rifle.
Link Posted: 9/26/2015 11:48:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: flynbye] [#7]
i have been useing Strelok Pro longer I got Applied Ballistics not to long ago.  To me AB seems better about 5 times the bullet library easy to program in new rifles or ammo. my only thing with AB compared to Strelok is (and i am sure i am missing something) strelok will show your reticle hold over so you dont need to dial AB shows me the reticle and try to come up with some but i get nothing.  In the end i would spend the money and get the Appplied Ballistics and download the free Strelok

EDIT I figured out I now get hold over on AB
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 10:14:15 AM EDT
[#8]
Isnipe is great because they have a huge database of ammunition and the calculations work
Link Posted: 2/15/2016 11:03:51 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm fairly new to long range myself. I purchased the ballistic app and headed to the range with my 20 inch AR and some M855 ammo. The very first shot I ever tried at 600yds I hit a 12x18 plate. I was surprised. I've had a lot of success using the app and I don't even know how to use everything it can do. I would recommend it but keep in mind it's the only one I've tried.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 8:47:55 PM EDT
[#10]
I've only used those apps that offer free versions and then the paid version of Shooter. For me shooter does everything I need it to and without the hassle of having to spend a lot of time monkeying around trying to figure out how to work the app.
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 10:26:02 PM EDT
[#11]
After using Mil-Dot for awhile, the down side is limited scopes to choose from and I don't get replies from the guy when I have a question. Currently looking for a better one.
Link Posted: 6/8/2016 11:56:20 PM EDT
[#12]
TRASOL
Link Posted: 6/9/2016 7:14:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By FourT6and2:
TRASOL
View Quote

Looks interesting. $40 bucks. 1 review on itunes. How long has it been out?
Link Posted: 6/10/2016 2:34:01 PM EDT
[#14]
I got TRASOL this week. Hope to try it out this weekend
Link Posted: 6/10/2016 5:01:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FourT6and2] [#15]
Originally Posted By Bearcat24:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Bearcat24:
Originally Posted By FourT6and2:
TRASOL

I don't know how long. But it was created in partnership with Desert Tech and Sniper's Hide and it works. Not a lot of reviews on iTunes, but plenty of reviews on Sniper's Hide. I reluctantly paid the high price for it. But I'm glad I did. It's better and more accurate than the other apps I have tried (iSterlock, Ballistic AE, Hornady, JBM, AB, etc.). The user interface is much better too. Very simple. I works. Head over to Sniper's Hide for more info.
Link Posted: 6/11/2016 6:13:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: NikH] [#16]
TRASOL pretty much trumps everything else for its UI and accuracy at extended ranges.

I also like Ballistic AE Pro

Applied Ballistics (AB) is great IF you have an Android phone...sucks a bag of dicks for the iPhone.  Lots of bugs and a much dated UI compared to the Android version

Link Posted: 6/12/2016 7:24:32 PM EDT
[#17]
TRASOL, spend the money. It's only $40
Link Posted: 8/2/2016 10:55:37 PM EDT
[#18]
Get your self a cheap android phone or tablet (i got a 8" for $39 at best buy and it works great) and use Applied Ballistics. Other apps have more bells and whistles but nothing comes close to the firing solution accuracy of AB. Bryan Litz is the top external ballistics mind in the country, arguably the world.
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 11:33:26 AM EDT
[#19]
Ballistic AE and Applied Ballistics are considered to be the two best.  I use Ballistic AE, its a good app, the UI is a little clunky and takes some getting used to but, supposedly better than Applied Ballistics's UI.   I have had success shooting a .223 at 800yrs with 10-15mph wind using the formula from Ballistic AE, I think that says a lot.  

I noticed yesterday that Ballistic AE is on sale marked down to $20 form $30 (the regular price and cost of Applied Ballistics).  I would jump on it.
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 7:15:33 PM EDT
[#20]
I bought Ballistic AE back when the iphone 3 was the big thing.  It was called JBM ballistic AE at the time.  It was a decent program back then and has only gotten better with every update.  I got irritated with apple and switched to the Samsung Galaxy and android OS.  I lost Ballistic AE in the process and that sucks.  I downloaded the Applied Ballistic calculator for android and am learning how to use it.  It's not quite as user friendly as Ballistic AE and doesn't have anywhere near the bullet library.  As soon as my contract is up i'm switching back over to iphone so I can get my app back.  

If you download the full version of Ballistic AE you won't be sorry.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top