Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 6/9/2016 8:50:56 PM EDT
I've never been in the market for a dedicated precision trigger in an AR. What should I be looking in to?
Link Posted: 6/9/2016 10:35:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HighpowerRifleBrony] [#1]
In my circle, 2-stage is the best. If you're not bound by any rules, 2.5 - 3lbs is about the lowest pull weight you want.

LaRue MBT and Geissele Hi-Speed are the cool kids, though an RRA or DPMS will likely serve just as well. Wisconsin Trigger Company is bringing back the Milazzo-Krieger - the granddaddy of 2-stage AR triggers.

Link Posted: 6/9/2016 11:58:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: desertmoon] [#2]
I'm running SSA-Es on my precision guns.  A damn good trigger.  Man, once they break in a bit....they are incredible.

ArmaLite's two stage is damn nice and so is the Larue.
Link Posted: 6/10/2016 4:37:17 AM EDT
[#3]
My fave out of mine is the Geissele National Match. Got a LaRue MBT on order, and if it works as well as the reports, it's likely the best bang for your buck right now.
Link Posted: 6/10/2016 9:40:10 AM EDT
[#4]
I have a SSA-E and the Dmr. For a all around trigger the SSA E is the way to go. If you really want to brake the perfect shot on a target gun, the DMR/National Match is the way to go.
Jmo
Link Posted: 6/10/2016 1:47:01 PM EDT
[#5]
I run SSA and Armalite NM  two stage and I'm happy with both. I used to run the GA DMR trigger but I had problems with it after a while.
Link Posted: 6/10/2016 1:51:19 PM EDT
[#6]

I've got an MBT right now, I'm pretty sure it will be coming out for a High Speed Match before long.

That's not saying bad things about the MBT, it's just heavier than I want.  I would like a sub 1lb second stage and the High Speed Match is one of the few games in town.

Link Posted: 6/10/2016 3:31:07 PM EDT
[#7]
My SPR has a SSA-E and its great.
But thinking of changing to a Super Match for a lighter pull
Link Posted: 6/10/2016 7:06:43 PM EDT
[#8]
SSA-E and a timney 3lb.

Next will be an elffman
Link Posted: 6/10/2016 10:23:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By jaqufrost:
I've got an MBT right now, I'm pretty sure it will be coming out for a High Speed Match before long.

That's not saying bad things about the MBT, it's just heavier than I want.  I would like a sub 1lb second stage and the High Speed Match is one of the few games in town.

View Quote

If the MBT second stage was 8-12 ounces lighter it would be the perfect precision trigger, IMHO.  Even so, I still much prefer the MBT-2S to an SSA-E in my paper/steel/coyote guns.  For $125 it's an absolute steal.

Link Posted: 6/10/2016 11:23:15 PM EDT
[#10]
I just had a failure in my HS-match. Not sure what happened but there was 0 overtravel after the break and it felt funny. Very different from normal. I couldn't replicate it and it's running normally now. A little disconcerting since I have a match tomorrow with it.
Link Posted: 6/10/2016 11:28:28 PM EDT
[#11]
I run Geissele SD-E's in all my LaRue's...
Link Posted: 6/10/2016 11:55:21 PM EDT
[#12]

Originally Posted By Lennyo3034:

I just had a failure in my HS-match. Not sure what happened but there was 0 overtravel after the break and it felt funny. Very different from normal. I couldn't replicate it and it's running normally now. A little disconcerting since I have a match tomorrow with it.
View Quote
Let us know how it goes.

Link Posted: 6/11/2016 11:48:36 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Calculating] [#13]
Eta: Drunken repost
Link Posted: 6/11/2016 12:35:09 PM EDT
[#14]
I'm running a POF because o got it in a trade. Its pretty nice.

Fundamentals will help more than the difference between good triggers. Decide between single stage or 2 stage. Get a good one and practice practice practice.

Aimsurplus has that one for $99, might get one to try out.
Link Posted: 6/11/2016 1:43:06 PM EDT
[#15]
I use the Geissele SSA-E in an AR10 and just moved it to a Larue Stealth build after selling the AR10.  Breaks just right for me.
Link Posted: 6/11/2016 2:25:42 PM EDT
[#16]
Let us know how it goes.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Let us know how it goes.  

A flake or two of unburned powder? Blown primer?
Link Posted: 6/11/2016 5:29:37 PM EDT
[#17]
I'm using the Geissele G2S in both my 6.5 Grendel and my .223 rifle that I just started building. I don't have the money for $250+ triggers but I do like the G2S and I think it's a good compromise.
Link Posted: 6/11/2016 8:10:20 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By 3-gun:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By 3-gun:
Let us know how it goes.  

Ran it very very hard today with no issues. I'm guessing debris but I'm still on my way home and haven't taken it apart yet.

Heres 15 aimed(ish) rounds in a little more than 5 secs, 300 yards. Won that stage. I managed to be able to hit the fast movers today but missed all the slow ones.

Link Posted: 6/11/2016 9:15:43 PM EDT
[#19]
JP Rifles Competition Trigger Group is at Midway for 114.00, which is an absolute screaming deal.  These are single stage triggers in the 3lb range.  I have ran many quality AR triggers, but for precision work, there is nothing that will beat a JP.
Link Posted: 6/11/2016 10:03:34 PM EDT
[#20]
I walk a geissele on all of my ARs including the precision ones.
Link Posted: 6/11/2016 10:06:45 PM EDT
[#21]
No longer cool with the kids but and RRA 2stg and an RRA 2stg NM.
Link Posted: 6/11/2016 10:07:46 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By ag04blast:
View Quote

You know I used one of those for a while, tell I broke it then replaced it with a geissele.
Link Posted: 6/12/2016 4:09:28 AM EDT
[#23]
I run a  Geissele National Match triggers in my NM AR and my Bench AR.
I also use a Rock River two stage varmint trigger. 3.5 lbs pull if I recall correctly ( very nice for the cost. No adjustments)
In my Spikes 9 mm AR i use the factory Spikes trigger with JP spring kit along with a little tweaking. Have the trigger from terrible to acceptable

On the M4f Forgery I use the standard Mil spec trigger again with a JP spring kit and a bit if Tweaking.

I intend to research JARD, American Gold and JP triggers as replacements for M4 plinker.

The Gold American and the Geissele share a similar price point . Really more than I need to spend on a plinker.
I may do some swapping triggers in a few rifles. I think a new lower is also in order. I                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        
Link Posted: 6/13/2016 12:53:58 AM EDT
[#24]
SSA-E.
Link Posted: 6/14/2016 3:08:43 AM EDT
[#25]

Originally Posted By RePp:

You know I used one of those for a while, tell I broke it then replaced it with a geissele.
View Quote

Well there's your problem.

Link Posted: 6/14/2016 2:20:28 PM EDT
[#26]
SSA-E here on two guns. Im never using anything else.
Link Posted: 6/15/2016 12:26:34 AM EDT
[#27]
If it's going to be precision only then Hi Speed.

If it's going to be more of a recce/accurized carbine then SSA-E may be more appropriate.

You can tune a Hi Speed to feel identical to an SSA-E, but that's extra money when the SSA-E is really great for snap shooting, shooting and moving, and precision all in one. That said, my Hi Speeds have made my SSA-Es feel like milspec triggers when I transition from one of my precision ARs to a carbine. They're that good.
Link Posted: 6/15/2016 12:49:40 AM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By HighpowerRifleBrony:
In my circle, 2-stage is the best. If you're not bound by any rules, 2.5 - 3lbs is about the lowest pull weight you want.

LaRue MBT and Geissele Hi-Speed are the cool kids, though an RRA or DPMS will likely serve just as well. Wisconsin Trigger Company is bringing back the Milazzo-Krieger - the granddaddy of 2-stage AR triggers.  
View Quote

Millazo?.....as in Charlie?

Link Posted: 6/15/2016 8:49:20 AM EDT
[#29]
JP competition and hiperfire 24c. Much perfer the 24c.
Link Posted: 6/15/2016 9:48:45 AM EDT
[Last Edit: MS556] [#30]
Originally Posted By rideHPD:
If it's going to be precision only then Hi Speed.

If it's going to be more of a recce/accurized carbine then SSA-E may be more appropriate.

You can tune a Hi Speed to feel identical to an SSA-E, but that's extra money when the SSA-E is really great for snap shooting, shooting and moving, and precision all in one. That said, my Hi Speeds have made my SSA-Es feel like milspec triggers when I transition from one of my precision ARs to a carbine. They're that good.
View Quote

This.  The attached group was shot this past Saturday during load development.  I may be able to shrink it a bit with laddering.  Details on the target.

Omitted was identification  the trigger, Geissele SSA-E.   The 1.2 pound second stage helps.  It is very crisp and easy to hold at the shelf between stages.  I see no reason to give up the versatility of a more general purpose 3.5 lb. pull through to obtain precision accuracy.

Link Posted: 6/15/2016 8:10:50 PM EDT
[#31]

Originally Posted By RANGER_556:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By RANGER_556:

Originally Posted By HighpowerRifleBrony:

http://www.wisconsintrigger.com/

Link Posted: 6/18/2016 9:20:32 AM EDT
[#32]
I ordered an MBT-2S based on the comments above & selected "I can wait" discount, as optics & mount choices are still undecided for my 18" LR-308 'budget' build.

Thanks for all the input, everyone!
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 4:22:47 AM EDT
[Last Edit: quartermaster] [#33]
Upper tier- Geissele, American Trigger Corp. AR Gold Trigger Group , JP enterprise
Mid range- JARD ( damn fine unit) Rock river two stage varmint 3.5 lbs.

Mil-spec. With a spring kit, a wee bet of stone work. There are other mods but it's best you google those yourself.

I'm sure there are many more brands that would meet your needs, these are simply the triggers I have or have had.
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 7:13:49 PM EDT
[#34]
SSA
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 11:42:45 PM EDT
[#35]
I've got an SSA-E in my MWS and a MBT-2S in my Larue predatar heavy.  I really can't feel a big difference betwedn the two.  Both are great triggers.
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 1:24:32 PM EDT
[#36]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By ag04blast:

Well at the price I paid, they have been great triggers.  I will continue to use them until they break/fail, we will see when that happens.
Link Posted: 6/26/2016 9:13:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: LaRue_Tactical] [#37]
Link Posted: 6/26/2016 10:47:30 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By LaRue_Tactical:

I am told the MBT wait is now around 3 weeks.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By LaRue_Tactical:
Originally Posted By anathema:
I ordered an MBT-2S based on the comments above & selected "I can wait" discount, as optics & mount choices are still undecided for my 18" LR-308 'budget' build.

Thanks for all the input, everyone!

I am told the MBT wait is now around 3 weeks.

And worth every second once you settle in behind it. Currently waiting on my second and the third will be ordered within the next week. The three replaced "G" triggers will enjoy their life with someone else. Can't say enough good things about the MBT.
Link Posted: 6/26/2016 10:50:01 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 12:23:45 PM EDT
[#40]

Originally Posted By Skg_Mre_Lght:

Geissele G2S-E on every AR, including my precision guns.
View Quote
I'm going to try one of these.  I don't want to drop the $270 for another High Speed Match, but I want a lighter second stage than my SD-C had or my MBT's have.

Link Posted: 6/27/2016 5:01:12 PM EDT
[#41]
After noticing no mention, I must ask "Do Timney Triggers owners forum elsewhere?"
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 6:58:01 PM EDT
[#42]
LaRue MBT
Link Posted: 6/28/2016 8:36:44 AM EDT
[Last Edit: wile_coyote] [#43]
I've got Geissele SSA-E, SD-E and AR Gold. I like them all. The Geissele's are real nice, but the AR Gold has performed really well. I've really become accustomed to its stages. Helps that it is on my favorite rifle. That being said i would not have any concern if I switched back to one of the Geissele's, but I won't be doing that anytime soon. I may look into another AR Gold at some point.
Link Posted: 6/28/2016 8:58:04 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 6/28/2016 11:38:39 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Outrider] [#45]
I've long been a Geissele SSA fan for general trigger use. I also have a SSA-E in a precision rig that has been very good.

I've picked up 3x LaRue MBTs as the price is too damn good to pass on and I like the feel of the wider trigger.

I'm considering jumping up to a G Hi-Speed trigger for the precision rig.

Link Posted: 6/28/2016 12:05:27 PM EDT
[#46]

Originally Posted By Outrider:

I've long been a Geissele SSA fan for general trigger use. I also have a SSA-E in a precision rig that has been very good.

I've picked up 3x LaRue MBTs as the price is too damn good to pass on and I like the feel of the wider trigger.

I'm considering jumping up to a G Hi-Speed trigger for the precision rig.

View Quote
The high speeds are pretty awesome if you like a light second stage.  Mine is set around half a pound.  They also have a 4ms lock time which is about 2ms faster than the SSA/SSA-E and MBT.

Link Posted: 6/28/2016 7:00:52 PM EDT
[#47]
Slowly converting to MBT, trying hard to hold some in reserve for future builds but it's getting hard
Link Posted: 7/9/2016 7:28:23 PM EDT
[#48]
Traded out the Timney 3lb for a Geissele hi speed national match.

Everything I'd read is true.  Smooth and linear with a crisp break.  

I think I'll see the most benefit on longer shots 400yds+.
Link Posted: 7/9/2016 7:56:27 PM EDT
[#49]
SD-E

I won't use anything else!
Link Posted: 7/9/2016 9:06:57 PM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top