Ruger Precision Rifle (Page 1 of 90)
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 90
Posted: 7/17/2015 5:16:49 PM EDT
Link Posted: 1/4/2017 1:31:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By goblue64LBZ:
Does Ruger no longer offer the Military Direct sales? Im trying to find out who to contact, any help would be awesome.
View Quote

I'm not military, but a body of mine recently bought one and they referred him to a local dealer and he got a discount of retail from them for being in the Air Force.
Link Posted: 1/4/2017 4:07:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By EzGoingKev:
When I first started shooting my rifle I was shooting Hornady ammo and would put the empty casings back into the box. Almost all of them would not go back into the plastic holder easily due to case expansion.

Now I am not getting that. I am assuming this would indicate a drop in chamber pressure due to throat wear? If so, is this normal in around 700 rounds?
View Quote

My guess is the consistency of the plastic used to hold the shells. Either that or since it's winter now, the plastic has contracted causing the holes to be larger.

Measure your recent fired cases next to your old ones before you start worrying about erosion. Even then it will be at the throats and unlikely to affect chamber measurements.
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 12:07:38 PM EDT
[#3]
I cant decide if I should get the gen 2 rifle or the M24R Remington 700...my LGS has both of them.
Link Posted: 1/12/2017 1:43:21 PM EDT
[#4]
no posts in this thread for a week, sheesh!!

maybe demand is slowing down for these. around christmas I saw one in dicks sporting goods for $1499

A local shop got one for $1450 this week.
Is that how much these suckers are going for now? I was trying to hunt one down for a while (before the gen 2) and could never find one but the places that did have them sold them for around $1050.

I gave up looking and now it seems like they are starting to pop up but I hadnt planned on spending $1500 on one.
Link Posted: 1/12/2017 9:02:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SilentDeath12886] [#5]
Demand is at least slowing down for the 308 models. I finally got my 308 2 weeks ago after waiting 9 months for it on order at a local FFL for $1150.  My FFL just got 12x 308's, for $1180, in and were taking names for all of them. Another local FFL was showing the 308s in stock for $1140, but did not mention how many were on the truck.
Link Posted: 1/13/2017 5:49:10 PM EDT
[#6]
I got to handle a .308 RPR Gen 2 today. Really nice. The safety seemed nice and tight. Was the safety modified at all between gen 1 and 2 besides the spring?
Link Posted: 1/13/2017 6:21:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Shooter_556:
I got to handle a .308 RPR Gen 2 today. Really nice. The safety seemed nice and tight. Was the safety modified at all between gen 1 and 2 besides the spring?
View Quote

I have a later production Gen1 and my safety fits "nice and tight" like it is supposed to. I think it was the earlier production units that had issues.
Link Posted: 1/18/2017 4:46:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By EzGoingKev:

I have a later production Gen1 and my safety fits "nice and tight" like it is supposed to. I think it was the earlier production units that had issues.
View Quote

Sweet thanks a lot!

Another question- has anyone here used LRI's Cathedral Port Muzzle Brake on there rifle? Ill probably be ordering a 6.5CM barrel at the end of the month and cant decide what to do. I like that it is contoured to match the barrel will mate seamlessly but not sure if its worth the money compared to similar brakes. Or maybe I skip a brake all together and just get a thread protector and call it a a day. Any thoughts?
Link Posted: 1/18/2017 5:51:55 PM EDT
[#9]

Sweet thanks a lot!

Another question- has anyone here used LRI's Cathedral Port Muzzle Brake on there rifle? Ill probably be ordering a 6.5CM barrel at the end of the month and cant decide what to do. I like that it is contoured to match the barrel will mate seamlessly but not sure if its worth the money compared to similar brakes. Or maybe I skip a brake all together and just get a thread protector and call it a a day. Any thoughts?
View Quote

I don't own an RPR yet, so your mileage may vary, but I have shot a 6.5 without a break and it was not bad at all.  Still plenty soft enough to spot impacts.  My .308 was tough to spot impacts without a break, the break has helped but still not great.  I think you will be happy shooting it break-less till you find one you want
Link Posted: 1/18/2017 6:55:56 PM EDT
[#10]

Sweet thanks a lot!

View Quote

I put an APA Gen ll Little Bastard on my Gen1 RPR 6.5CM, it's a great brake!
The recoil without a brake isn't bad but with the brake it makes watching hits and subsequent follow up shots much easier and quicker.
http://precisionrifleblog.com/2015/08/21/muzzle-brake-summary-of-field-test-results/

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 8:11:13 AM EDT
[#11]
Does anyone know anywhere that has the Seekins RPR action rod in stock?

I want to buy one but it appears they are back ordered.
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 1:39:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Ive read all 60 of these pages but I cant for the life of me rememeber if anyone is running the Larue LT104 35mm Rings with a Razor Gen I on their gen II RPR. I havent been able to find any 35mm rings that are high enough to create the proper sight picture. For $160 i think the LT104 is a good choice. Advertised scope height of 1.5", which seems to be the magic number for the RPR. I've already ordered them so I'll report back when i get it all together.
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 1:39:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: goblue64LBZ] [#13]
double post, delete
Link Posted: 1/26/2017 10:40:05 AM EDT
[#14]
Defender3 used the LT mount. I talked to him about it and he said he had no problems with it at all.

ADM-Recon mount is available with 35mm rings as well.
Link Posted: 1/26/2017 8:02:23 PM EDT
[#15]
I had my Gen2 Razor in LaRue's LT111 and it worked fine.
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 11:50:06 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By goblue64LBZ:
Ive read all 60 of these pages but I cant for the life of me rememeber if anyone is running the Larue LT104 35mm Rings with a Razor Gen I on their gen II RPR. I havent been able to find any 35mm rings that are high enough to create the proper sight picture. For $160 i think the LT104 is a good choice. Advertised scope height of 1.5", which seems to be the magic number for the RPR. I've already ordered them so I'll report back when i get it all together.
View Quote

Not a Razor Gen I, but I've got a Millett LRS-1 in an LT104 QD mount on my Gen 1 RPR and it works just fine.  35mm scope body and 56mm objective clears the pic rail just fine.  
I had to remove the center section of velcro from my Wiebad cheek bag to get low enough for the proper eye position, but if you're using just the bare stock or a thinner cheek bag you should be GTG.
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 9:11:35 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Flagflyfish] [#17]
I had to go with a Warne one piece (AR) mount to get the height for a Vortex 6.5X20x50. it works great.
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 10:41:13 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AZ_Sky] [#18]
Originally Posted By Flagflyfish:
I had to go with a Warne one piece (AR) mount to get the height for a Vortex 6.5X20x50. it works great.
View Quote

I have a Vortex HST 6-24X50 on my Gen1 RPR and the Vortex Precision Matched Rings (tall 1.45") work fine.

Link Posted: 1/29/2017 12:35:29 PM EDT
[#19]
Guess I should of posted in the mega thread.  Saw one $1300 for rifle only.  Adding were extra.Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 10:58:32 PM EDT
[#20]
Subscribed. I think this will be my next purchase. Every review speaks very highly of the rifle and markets it as a great out of the box precision kit for those looking to get into longer range precision rifles (me). Now I need to find a 6.5 CM and get going.
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 11:45:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AdamZ82] [#21]
Re-zeroed my scope today at 100yds. 6.5CM with a 5-25x50 XTRII. Very happy with this setup

Link Posted: 1/30/2017 6:00:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Flagflyfish] [#22]
Don't buy one, you'll be sorry!!   LOL..First you gotta glass it, then buy a case for it (not just any case will do..) get a sling, suppressor, etc, etc....it will soon become a favorite.... you may even start leaving all the other rifles in the safe..
Welcome to the club!
Link Posted: 1/30/2017 6:28:37 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By Flagflyfish:
Don't buy one, you'll be sorry!!   LOL..First you gotta glass it, then buy a case for it (not just any case will do..) get a sling, suppressor, etc, etc....it will soon become a favorite.... you may even start leaving all the other rifles in the safe..
Welcome to the club!
View Quote

See I'm working backwards. I bought a AAC Cyclone with the tax stamp paid by Silencer Shop. I bought it with a bolt gun in mind (I have none at the moment). I'm already shopping glass too and need to be ready to pounce on a 6.5 when I get the chance. I've got the Talladega CMP Range not too far with 600 yd electronic targets I'd love to wear out. I joked that this rifle may make me buy some property just to stretch out even further.
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 1:06:42 PM EDT
[#24]
Hey guys, first time posting here but I've been reading for a number of years. I've been trying to work my way through all of the RPR threads. I bought a Gen 2 .308 back in early November. So far I love the gun, have been digging through a lot of brands of ammo to find what it likes. I went to the range yesterday to find a good load (factory and my reloads), conditions were around 40° with 15-18 mph winds starting as a head wind and shifting towards 2 o'clock near the end of the session, all groups were shot at 100yds using a Lead Sled. I was able to get some groups down around the .5moa (3 shot groups, I was looking for the OCW so I decided to load less rounds of each charge weight to cover a wider spread). FGMM 168 had a 4 shot 1.3moa group with a called flier, without the flier was .396 moa, Black Hills 168 was around .53 moa, and I had two reloads around .51 and .57 moa, so the gun certainly has some potential.

My question to you guys is as follows, I tried shooting some of the Prime 175 ammo for a 5 shot group, and the group split on me. Shots 1 and 3 hit together, and then shots 2,4 and 5 hit together. Total group size was .73 moa (So this isn't a complaint, as much as it sounds that way haha. I'm hoping you guys can help me settle in whether it was shooter, rifle, or conditions). Shots 1/3 were nearly one hole at .16moa and shots 2/4/5 were nearly one hole again at .20 moa.

Do you guys think that I just need to hone my fundamentals, or do you think that may be the accuracy limit of the factory gun, or do you think I may not have paid enough attention to the winds during the group?
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 1:13:15 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By dhopkinson17:
Hey guys, first time posting here but I've been reading for a number of years. I've been trying to work my way through all of the RPR threads. I bought a Gen 2 .308 back in early November. So far I love the gun, have been digging through a lot of brands of ammo to find what it likes. I went to the range yesterday to find a good load (factory and my reloads), conditions were around 40° with 15-18 mph winds starting as a head wind and shifting towards 2 o'clock near the end of the session, all groups were shot at 100yds using a Lead Sled. I was able to get some groups down around the .5moa (3 shot groups, I was looking for the OCW so I decided to load less rounds of each charge weight to cover a wider spread). FGMM 168 had a 4 shot 1.3moa group with a called flier, without the flier was .396 moa, Black Hills 168 was around .53 moa, and I had two reloads around .51 and .57 moa, so the gun certainly has some potential.

My question to you guys is as follows, I tried shooting some of the Prime 175 ammo for a 5 shot group, and the group split on me. Shots 1 and 3 hit together, and then shots 2,4 and 5 hit together. Total group size was .73 moa (So this isn't a complaint, as much as it sounds that way haha. I'm hoping you guys can help me settle in whether it was shooter, rifle, or conditions). Shots 1/3 were nearly one hole at .16moa and shots 2/4/5 were nearly one hole again at .20 moa.

Do you guys think that I just need to hone my fundamentals, or do you think that may be the accuracy limit of the factory gun, or do you think I may not have paid enough attention to the winds during the group?
View Quote
Lead sleds make poor shooting platforms.  Try off a bipod and a rear bag.
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 1:59:46 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By TeeRex:
Lead sleds make poor shooting platforms.  Try off a bipod and a rear bag.
View Quote

Interesting, I always figured that would be better than a bipod/bag setup. If you don't mind, could you explain a little more as to why that is? I will certainly give it a go next range trip. Also, any good recommendations for a rear bag? I have a Harris 6-9" I'll throw on for the testing.
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 2:10:26 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By dhopkinson17:

Interesting, I always figured that would be better than a bipod/bag setup. If you don't mind, could you explain a little more as to why that is? I will certainly give it a go next range trip. Also, any good recommendations for a rear bag? I have a Harris 6-9" I'll throw on for the testing.
View Quote

I don't think they are as stable, don't allow for correct recoil, and don't allow for correct firing position. 

I have had good success with the tab gear rear bags, SAP run n gun and the Tab Str8 Laced
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 6:23:50 PM EDT
[#28]
What kind of accuracy are you guys seeing from these things? 308? 6.5?

Was at the LGS today and they had a 308 and they were making some pretty impressive claims about match grade factory, and reload accuracy.
Basically 1/2" for match and sub 1/4 for reloads in 6.5.
Is that realistic??
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 6:40:52 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By Phineas7:

Was at the LGS today and they had a 308 and they were making some pretty impressive claims about match grade factory, and reload accuracy.
Is that realistic??
View Quote

LOL contrary to what people say online no.  Most people cant even hold under .5 consistently.

The ones I see generally have been sub MOA, and I've seen them, and shot some groups better than that.  The barrels wont consistently do 1/4 over and over.
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 7:33:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AZ_Sky] [#30]

LOL contrary to what people say online no.  Most people cant even hold under .5 consistently.

The ones I see generally have been sub MOA, and I've seen them, and shot some groups better than that.  The barrels wont consistently do 1/4 over and over.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Is that realistic??

The best I have shot from my RPR 6.5 is .386 moa, typically it shoots .4 to .7 moa with me at the trigger.
My handloads shoot more precisely than commercial ammo (but I have only shot one box of Hornady match ammo).

Here's my best grouping, shot at 200 yards.
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 12:57:08 PM EDT
[#31]

View Quote

Yeah, by they time it goes thru 2 or 3 tellings, there's no way to know if it wasn't a one-off 3-shot group.

You can get lucky with three shots. Maybe I've missed it, but I don't remember any 10 shot groups in this thread.
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 1:13:24 PM EDT
[#32]

Yeah, by they time it goes thru 2 or 3 tellings, there's no way to know if it wasn't a one-off 3-shot group.

You can get lucky with three shots. Maybe I've missed it, but I don't remember any 10 shot groups in this thread.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Most custom guns don't produce that kind of accuracy outside of their factory ranges and test targets.

Newer or non rifle shooters really don't understand what it takes to truly get down into that level of accuracy. There's a reason it's usually restricted to bench guns and their OCD extreme ammo and prep level.
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 9:02:25 AM EDT
[#33]
Mine (.243) has been shooting consistently at .75 MOA with handloads.  It'll occasionally turn in a .5 or so group, but I'm pretty sure that's luck.  It was awfully picky about what load it liked, though.  Took me a while to find it and I was getting pretty frustrated until I did.

Interestingly enough, I found that I shoot it better from prone with a bipod and rear bag than from sandbags on a bench.  I'm wondering if that's because of the round handguard not being very stable on the bags.
Link Posted: 2/3/2017 12:00:22 AM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By alemonkey:
Mine (.243) has been shooting consistently at .75 MOA with handloads.  It'll occasionally turn in a .5 or so group, but I'm pretty sure that's luck.  It was awfully picky about what load it liked, though.  Took me a while to find it and I was getting pretty frustrated until I did.

Interestingly enough, I found that I shoot it better from prone with a bipod and rear bag than from sandbags on a bench.  I'm wondering if that's because of the round handguard not being very stable on the bags.
View Quote

I found a load for the 243 rather quickly. Maybe I got lucky. Mine really came to life with Norma MRP with a Berger 105 HVLD in win brass and a cci250. Initial loads printed .6 MOA and developed into a consistent .4 MOA load with as many shots I want to shoot at the target, usually 5-10. Final load ended up .007" off the lands. Run an ocw from 43 to 45 grains. Mine tuned in at 44.2 of MRP.
Link Posted: 2/7/2017 11:48:22 AM EDT
[#35]
OK guys I believe its time for a barrel upgrade. First of all I am local to LRI (15 min away). I saw some really good reviews on their barrels so they are my first choice so far. I have also been looking at proof research, they offer a standard stainless barrel for $175.00 cheaper than LRI and they also have the carbon fiber version that I'm looking at as well for $850.00. What do you guys think?

Also open to other suggestions.

I have built several ars, but never barreled a bolt gun. Is this something a guy could do himself? I realize you need a set of go/no go gauges and a barrel vise. What else is needed?

Thanks
Link Posted: 2/7/2017 11:54:30 AM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By RafterMan:
OK guys I believe its time for a barrel upgrade. First of all I am local to LRI (15 min away). I saw some really good reviews on their barrels so they are my first choice so far. I have also been looking at proof research, they offer a standard stainless barrel for $175.00 cheaper than LRI and they also have the carbon fiber version that I'm looking at as well for $850.00. What do you guys think?

I have built several ars, but never barreled a bolt gun. Is this something a guy could do himself? I realize you need a set of go/no go gauges and a barrel vise. What else is needed?

Thanks
View Quote

The RPR can be done with the tools and an AR barrel nut wrench assuming you know what you are doing to set the headspace.  The LRI barrels have been shooters.  I'm not sold on Carbon Fiber Barrels, and ditching weight has been a non issue on that platform.
Link Posted: 2/7/2017 4:11:26 PM EDT
[#37]
I called Kreiger last week, and the guy I talked to said they were going to introduce pre-fit RPR barrels next month!  They've done all the testing, theyre only trying to finalize all the details and set the pricing.  I'm hoping to get one of the first, because IMHO, Kreiger barrels are some of the best ever made!

Mark
Link Posted: 2/7/2017 5:09:59 PM EDT
[#38]
I just placed my order for a 6.5 barrel from LRI. Now I just gotta buy the gun! hahah
Link Posted: 2/7/2017 9:09:37 PM EDT
[#39]
Ordered 4 LRI barrels today. Got them cerakoted. Need to find a set of gauges now. Seems they are out everywhere.
Link Posted: 2/7/2017 11:04:21 PM EDT
[#40]
Just joined the club.  Haven't had the chance to shoot it yet, but will remedy that this weekend.

Link Posted: 2/8/2017 12:11:10 AM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By RafterMan:

Thanks
View Quote

I have built 2 AR15's and had no trouble installing an LRI barrel on my RPR. Just need a barrel vise and a set of go/no go gauges. The gun is a shooter too!
Link Posted: 2/8/2017 1:50:25 PM EDT
[#42]
I picked up a gen II on Monday. Got it bore sighted and I'm off on Friday. I got an envited to a private range with 600 yard range, so I'm going to try several different loads from the Honardy 129 and eld 147 and a few federal 140. I'm topping it with a 4/20/50 weaver FFP scope for now. I'll post a small review later.
Link Posted: 2/8/2017 3:30:16 PM EDT
[#43]
Pac-Nor is also making barrels now.
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 10:47:54 PM EDT
[#44]
http://www.ammoland.com/2017/02/integrally-suppressed-ruger-precision-rifle/#axzz4YL7kPhEt
I suck at internet but looks cool !
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 10:55:45 PM EDT
[#45]
So.....I picked up some barrels from LRI Saturday morning. They look NICE. I went from six to midnight.Can't wait to get mine on my gun. Taking the old barrel off was pretty easy, one rap with the old ar wrench and the reciever spun right off. Still waiting on my headspace gauges though.

I figured I'd ask if anyone had some good load data for that barrel with the 140 eld and h4350. My load for the factory tube was 41.5gr loaded at mag length.(I have the measurements written down) and it was a shooter. Not sure how far back in this thread, but I have some pics of some groups. To be honest not sure why I'm rebarreling, my gun was a shooter. I'm sitting at 1600 rds +/- 20 and hadn't seen any accuracy degradation.

Anyway if ya got any good load recipes....Post them up.

Thanks guys.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 9:04:59 PM EDT
[#46]
Does anyone have any ballistic data / tables or can point me where to look for the RPR?

Plan on building my own data, but having a starting point helps. Currently have it zeroed at 100 yards. Trying to figure out the drop at 2, 3, 4 & 500 yards.

I've got a 6.5 Creedmore (gen 2) with a stock  24" barrel and am shooting Hornady 120 grain A-MAX, match ammo.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 10:15:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AZ_Sky] [#47]
Originally Posted By Ranger431:
Does anyone have any ballistic data / tables or can point me where to look for the RPR?

Plan on building my own data, but having a starting point helps. Currently have it zeroed at 100 yards. Trying to figure out the drop at 2, 3, 4 & 500 yards.

I've got a 6.5 Creedmore (gen 2) with a stock  24" barrel and am shooting Hornady 120 grain A-MAX, match ammo.

Thanks.
View Quote

Without any velocity data from your rifle you aren't going to get any help.
You can get very good data from many online ballistic calculators - but you NEED to know your bullet velocity from your rifle first!
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 11:38:22 PM EDT
[#48]
That's the issue, I'm fighting with, it's a new rifle and I don't have a chronograph, and don't have immediate access to one.  Was hoping someone with another  gen2 RPR might be shooting the same round and I could at least get started with that.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 4:41:46 AM EDT
[#49]
If you are shooting a factory load, you can look your velocity up online, but even that is sketchy as you will have differences because of elevation, barometric pressure, etc. etc. If you are shooting hand loads (as I do) you will need to bite the bullet and get a chrono, no way around it.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 10:49:51 AM EDT
[#50]
Thanks for your help.  Lots of bullets to bite.  Haven't gotten into reloading (yet) but have been saving 9mm, 5.56 and now 6.5 for quite some in anticipation -and it's getting close to taking the plunge.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 90
Ruger Precision Rifle (Page 1 of 90)
Top Top