BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 35
Posted: 10/17/2014 7:28:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: akethan]
1 MOA ALL DAY LONG

Alright guys and girls, to time hit the range again.

Thanks to the previous folks that worked on this in the past  Stantonizm, ARFCOM originator  BillyDoubleU and to the Sniper's Hide originator.

Old threads

Akethan's 2013-2014  GD Thread

Stantonizm's

2013   MOA Thread

BillyDoubleU's

2012  Original ARFCOM thread

ARFcom MOA history

This is the Official “How Good Are You” thread of AR15.com

What is it? It’s a challenge to all to prove how good you really are with a rifle! Not sometimes but consistently.

Keep it simple 5 shot groups, 5 groups per target

1 MOA = 100 Yards = 1.047"
––––––––-50 Yards = 0.5235"
––––––––-25 Yards = 0.26175"

Top 25 for each division

Separate list of 1 MOA shooters and a separate list for .5 MOA shooters.

REMEMBER this, all 5 groups of 5 shots must AVERAGE 1 MOA to make the list and claim the title of being a 1 MOA shooter.

Doing one .99" group and four 1.5" groups does not equal a 1 MOA shooter, it means you got lucky once and you are a 1.398 MOA shooter (assuming a 100 yard target)

This is a challenge but don't be afraid to try it out and post, every possible rifle style has been listed with a category and a distance. It's all in good fun and to be honest about your abilities.

With that in mind here are the rules.

1. ONE sheet of paper, 8.5”x11” preferred and it MUST HAVE ALL 5 targets.

Meaning 1 sheet of paper with FIVE targets. NO INDIVIDUAL TARGETS. THEY WILL NOT COUNT.

2. On that 1 sheet of paper with 5 targets you shoot 5 groups of 5 shots each. (In one day)

3. Each group is measured OUTSIDE GREASE RING TO OUTSIDE GREASE RING with calipers (preferred) or tape rule in inches. Then subtract the diameter of one bullet IE if your shooting a .223 and your 5 shot group measures 1.13" you will subtract 0.224" to get a group of 0.906". If you are shooting a .22lr you will subtract 0.223", for a 308 you will subtract 0.308" (Remember- the more precise your measurement the better)

Some common measurements:
.172" - .17 HMR
.223" - .22 Short, Long, Long Rifle
.224" - .223 Remington, .22 WMR, .22 Hornet
.243" - .243 Winchester
.284" - 7mm-08 Remington, 7mm Mag
.308" - .308 Winchester, .30-06, .300 Mag
.311" - 7.62x39 Soviet, .303 British
.338" - .338 Mag

4. NO MECHANICAL REST/SLED, NO VICE OR SIMILAR DEVICE THAT SUPPORTS THE ENITRE RIFLE, NO SHOOTING JACKETS, NO STRAPPING THE GUN INTO ANYTHING, NO LARGE REAR SANDBAG ** OR REST. SHOOTER MUST HAVE POSITIVE CONTROL OF RIFLE.

THE POINT IS TO SEE HOW GOOD YOU SHOOT, NOT HOW WELL YOU CAN MOUNT IT IN A MACHINE.

5. OK TO USE sandbag, rest, ruck, bipod, rock with a hat, sling etc. on forearm of the rifle.

**Will be OK to use a small rear sandbag (ie: sand sock or squeeze bag) or bean bag  that must require constant hand pressure to maintain hold on target.

IE. Can NOT sandbag gun in place. Shooter must maintain positive control of rifle. No formed or V-shaped rests/bags

Some approved bags

Triad Red Tac

Triad Wedgie

CrossTac Squeeze bag

Accuracy First shooting bag

*** After much gnashing of the teeth we'll set the limit of size at the largest bag on the list which is 96 C.I.  Try to stay at or below this.

But remember that there must be constant hand pressure to maintain hold on target.

IE. Can NOT sandbag gun in place. Shooter must maintain positive control of rifle. No formed or V-shaped rests/bags. I'm sure someone will IM me or bitch about this but I can't make everyone happy. Have Fun!

6. Shooting position is up to you, sitting, standing, prone.

7. Posting:

1st picture of target set at the range you are shooting. If you are shooting more than one rifle at the same range using the same pic is okay.

2nd picture with 5 groups of 5 shots each, next to them write down group size.

3rd picture with calipers (or tape rule) left in place over BEST group.

4th picture of rifle and shooting setup (ie. Sandbag, prone and so on). Post all4 pics and also type in the post your 5 group sizes and what the average is. IE. .99”, 1.5”, 1.5”, 1.5”, 1.5” add them up, equals 6.99” and divide by five. So 6.99/5 = 1.398”

You can use the MOA formula, either way I will check the math and post the MOA on the result list.

For those of you who would like to use ontarget,   http://ontargetshooting.com/

Also type up specs of your rifle and ammo IE. Rem 700 with 168gr Federal SMK or Colt AR15 18" with Wolf 55gr FMJ or AK with 125gr Hand Loads PLEASE INCLUDE AMMO USED

*** Please include result at the end of your post in the final format:

Division you wish to be listed under with range, User_Name: Rifle Manufacturer and caliber - notable customizations- Scope- Ammo. Groups: 1"/2"/3"/4"/5" = avg. 3" = .287 MOA

If you do not post in this format or leave anything out your post will not be included.

8. In each division you can only have your name up once per gun. Meaning that if you shoot the Iron Sight 22lr with your 10/22 and average a 1.65” group and lets say place 4th. If you use that same gun and do worse, even if you would place better then someone else it will not count for your group. Best group counts.

Now if you then shoot Iron Sight 22lr with your M&P 15-22 and shoot better, say 1.25” average groups and place 2nd. Both that score and the 10/22 score will remain. Different guns will be allowed for different group rankings within a division. Best group counts.

This also goes for the 1 MOA list. Meaning only your best MOA will be ranked on the 1 MOA list BUT if you also shoot 1 MOA or less with a different rifle, that will also count and your name will be added to the list for each different rifle you shoot 1 MOA or less with.

9. Remember, this is NOT a Bullseye challenge, it's a Groups challenge.

10. Any and all ammo is fine I don't care if you use Factory loads or your super secret Hand Load that Moses gave you.

11. Ties in average will go to the shooter with the smallest group.

Service Division (AR/AK/FAL/M1A1 etc style weapons)
Iron sights at 50 yards

Non-Magnified Optic at 50 yards

SPR Division (AR/AK/FAL/M1A etc WITH magnified optics) **See rule 5
100 yards

Bolt Division with magnified optics (any precision gun) ** See rule 5
100 yards

And for cheapness a 22lr Division

Any 22lr rifle with iron sights at 25 yards

Any 22lr rifle with non-magnified optic at 50 yards

Any 22lr rifle with magnified optic at 50 yards

Any 22lr rifle with magnified optic at 100 yards

Misc Small Bore Division
Any .17HMR/.17HM2/.17Fireball/.22WMR/.22 Hornet etc etc etc with any sighting system (Irons/nonmagnified/magnified) at 100 yards **See Rule 5

Unlimited Division
Catch-all class for anyone wishing to use a lead-sled, large sandbag set-up, or other assisting device prohibited from the other classes. 50yd minimum for non magnified optic rifles and 100 yd minimum for magnified optics of all calibers. Does not qualify you for MOA shooter list, but will be recognized as an MOA rifle owner. Further more if you have shot the same setup and are listed in a class you will not be eligible for unlimited. Let's not turn this into a full blown bench rest shoot.

Click to download target
Downloadable target

Small BFL Target

Modified 1MOA All Day Target MUAD hosted

ARFcom BFL w/grid target  LaRue hosted.

MOA formula

How many MOA equal 2 inches at 200 yards?
(inches / yards) x 100 = MOA
(2 inches / 200 yards) x 100 = 1 MOA

This is for those that want to put up an honest effort and show what they can do!

If you post a placeholder for a future attempt, be sure and notify me if you are not updated!

If entries start coming in and you post your results back on an earlier page, I might miss it if you don't point it out.
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 6:38:04 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By jaqufrost:
Hit the range today. Got a new entry I'll get posted in the morning. .585 MOA with my Larue Stealth 20" barrel!
View Quote

Oohrah!

Every .001" is a struggle.
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 7:04:33 AM EDT
[#2]

Originally Posted By billyhill:
Oohrah!

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Hit the range today. Got a new entry I'll get posted in the morning. .585 MOA with my Larue Stealth 20" barrel!

Oohrah!

That's the truth.  It helps that I dropped my moving Bobro mount and put a Geissele Super Precision mount on the rig.

Link Posted: 4/13/2016 7:26:31 AM EDT
[#3]
Here is my new MOA entry.  This is with my 20" Larue setup and replaces the one currently sitting at #10.

First, targets at 107 yards.

Here is the view through my range finder.

2nd picture of the five groups.

3rd picture with calipers on the best group.

4th picture with the rifle as shot.

1 MOA at 100 yards = 1.047"

1 MOA at 107 yards = 1.120"

Jaqufrost: Home build 5.56 - Larue 20" barrel, Larue BCG, Geissele High Speed Match- Bushnell XRS 4.5-30, H-59 reticle - 77gr SMK over 23.5gr Varget. Groups: .568"/.764"/.682"/.577"/.685" = avg. .655" =.585 MOA
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 8:35:58 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 9:06:35 AM EDT
[#5]

Originally Posted By LaRue_Tactical:

^^^

So, is that the same 20" barrel as your 10th place entry and does it move you up to #6 slot ?
View Quote
Yep. I've got to try again soon. Going to make a primer change to BR4's. My understanding is it should be more consistent with my Varget 77gr load.

I've also got a 52gr SMK load to try as it has better 10 shot groups than my 77gr load I shot this entry with.
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 10:02:51 AM EDT
[#6]
Your going to be able to shrink those some, the stringing and flyer will probably be worked out over time.
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 10:10:59 AM EDT
[#7]

Here is my new MOA entry.  This is with my 20" Larue setup and replaces the one currently sitting at #10.

First, targets at 107 yards.

http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=87281

Here is the view through my range finder.

http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=87279

2nd picture of the five groups.

http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=87283

3rd picture with calipers on the best group.

http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=87284

4th picture with the rifle as shot.

http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=87281

1 MOA at 100 yards = 1.047"

1 MOA at 107 yards = 1.120"

Jaqufrost: Home build 5.56 - Larue 20" barrel, Larue BCG, Geissele High Speed Match- Bushnell XRS 4.5-30, H-59 reticle - 77gr SMK over 23.5gr Varget. Groups: .568"/.764"/.682"/.577"/.685" = avg. .655" =.585 MOA

View Quote

Some damn fine shooting Jaq.

I'm heading out to the range today to shoot my 20" Rearden Steel. We shall see if I can beat out my .806MOA entry from last year with the LW barrel. It's amazing that I was 15th at one time, now I'm 28th (29th after they add your new entry).

Link Posted: 4/13/2016 10:18:27 AM EDT
[#8]

SPR:  billyhill-, WOA Match upper 1-8" Wylde 223, RRA Lower, Weaver T-36, 21.5 gr Reloder 7 / 52 gr SMK / LC new brass / Rem 71/2, Groups: 0.425/0.515/0.469/0.716/0.801 =
2.702 /5 = 0.5404/1.047 = 0.516 MOA
Pics inbound

View Quote

akethan,

So, we can use a front rest like the above for the SPR division??

Link Posted: 4/13/2016 10:36:04 AM EDT
[#9]
You would use my messiest bench pick ever for an example

Yep. its approved

5. OK TO USE sandbag, rest, ruck, bipod, rock with a hat, sling etc. on forearm of the rifle.

**Will be OK to use a small rear sandbag (ie: sand sock or squeeze bag) or bean bag  that must require constant hand pressure to maintain hold on target.
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 10:44:14 AM EDT
[#10]

You would use my messiest bench pick ever for an example

Yep. its approved

View Quote
LOL, thanks for the clarification.

Heading to the range here in a few.
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 11:33:13 AM EDT
[#11]
That's the truth.  It helps that I dropped my moving Bobro mount and put a Geissele Super Precision mount on the rig.  
View All Quotes

Oohrah!

your bobro was wondering? how much?
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 11:37:53 AM EDT
[#12]
Damn Jaq, nice job! The 20" Stealth barrels are amazing. I miss mine already. Stupid family issues.

I'm wanting to transition to more 260 or 6.5 rifles when I can finally replace everything I've sold. Just trying to keep from selling my most prized rifles and NFA stuff right now but need to make ends meet. Hotels are expensive.
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 2:08:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Coachf] [#13]

100 yd SPR, Coachf: Larue Tactical stealth .223 20" barrel, Larue MBT trigger, Vortex strike eagle- Hornady match. .560, .697, .663,.661,.457=  .584 MOA
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 2:13:19 PM EDT
[#14]
Entry #2

100 yds Any .22 w magnified optic, Coachf: 10-22 homegrown trigger, gemtech ssd ii suppressor, bipod, millet dms-1- eley match.   1.249, 1.157, 1.137, .888, .787. = .996 MOA
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 2:18:21 PM EDT
[#15]
Impressive!
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 2:45:08 PM EDT
[#16]
Impressive!
View Quote

My larue upper would be Mike_Ps.
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 2:51:49 PM EDT
[#17]

Originally Posted By Coachf:
View All Quotes

Impressive!

Wow, I knew he put it up for sale.  It has quite a good barrel on it.  Excellent work, especially with a 1-6x.

Link Posted: 4/16/2016 2:53:28 PM EDT
[#18]
Wow, I knew he put it up for sale.  It has quite a good barrel on it.  Excellent work, especially with a 1-6x.  
View All Quotes
Impressive!

At some point I will Get a real scope.   Just never really messed with one for real.
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 3:46:51 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 6:51:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Muad] [#20]
Took the LW Varmint Tactical barrel out again. This time I shot from a front rest and my same homemade squeeze sock. I can say one thing, this rifle and I are consistent. Last entry with it was .807MOA..

Center target:

Distance:

Target:

SPR Division - Muad: Home-built SPR - LaRue MBT-2S - 20" LW barrel - Bushnell 6-24x50mm FFP, ADI 55gr BlitzKings. Groups: 1.006"/0.674"/0.783"/0.764"/1.152"/ avg. 0.876"/1.0498" (MOA @ 100.3 yards) = 0.834 MOA

Someone might want to double check my math, I tried to figure out 1 MOA at 100.3 yards, which I got 1.0498" vs 1.047" (2*pi*3610.8")/21600= 1.049806666666667"

This thing continues to hammer with my favorite factory loaded varmint ammo.

Link Posted: 5/1/2016 12:59:11 PM EDT
[#21]
Get those entries in.
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 12:24:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Mike_P] [#22]
Maybe I can cancel Mother's Day brunch and get to the range this weekend. Wish I had a 260 to do it with though.

(She wanted to go next weekend anyways... I'm not being a dick! Priorities, right?)
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 11:37:37 PM EDT
[#23]

Originally Posted By Mike_P:

Maybe I can cancel Mother's Day brunch and get to the range this weekend. Wish I had a 260 to do it with though.

(She wanted to go next weekend anyways... I'm not being a dick! Priorities, right?)
View Quote
While it's not a Larue 260, I just finished this 6.5 Creedmoor build and I hope to put her on the chart next range trip.

Time to find out how good Criterion barrels are.
Link Posted: 5/4/2016 2:38:21 PM EDT
[#24]
While it's not a Larue 260, I just finished this 6.5 Creedmoor build and I hope to put her on the chart next range trip.http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=87958

View All Quotes

While it's not a Larue 260, I just finished this 6.5 Creedmoor build and I hope to put her on the chart next range trip.http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=87958

I was very close to ordering one of those barrels for a build! Can't wait to hear how it performs.
Link Posted: 5/4/2016 3:10:03 PM EDT
[#25]

View Quote

Could be worse. My range banned prone shooting . And the shooting benches have more wobble to them than standing.
Link Posted: 5/4/2016 5:15:22 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By Lennyo3034:

Could be worse. My range banned prone shooting . And the shooting benches have more wobble to them than standing.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Lennyo3034:

Seriously? What was their justification?

I can't really shoot from the benches at mine. They're just horribly designed and you can't actually get behind the gun. So I end up pushing them aside and shooting prone 95% of the time, or just standing the rest. Heck, I'll lay my torso on the table at times when spotting or just taking a quick couple shots. What is it with ranges and their poor shooting positions.
Link Posted: 5/5/2016 6:20:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: greenheadcaller] [#27]
Dusted off the p-dog rigs this week and thought I would give this piece a try....she has thrown a lot of lead.  I started off a little shaky but settled down once I knew it wasn't going to be a record lol, amazing how much better you can shoot when relaxed.  Stock DPMS rifle and handloads she likes.   Hope I get the format right, first time doing pictures, here it goes.  

</a>" />

</a>" />

</a>" />

SPR Division:  Greenheadcaller,  DPMS 24 BULL .223, Vortex Crossfire 1, reloads 50g vmax H322;  Groups .844"/1.02"/.478"/.821"/.406"  =  Ave .7138 = .682 MOA

(Edited to fix format)

Link Posted: 5/6/2016 9:53:43 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Muad] [#28]

Originally Posted By greenheadcaller:

Dusted off the p-dog rigs this week and thought I would give this piece a try....she has thrown a lot of lead.  I started off a little shaky but settled down once I knew it wasn't going to be a record lol, amazing how much better you can shoot when relaxed.  Stock DPMS rifle and handloads she likes.   Hope I get the format right, first time doing pictures, here it goes.  

http://<a href=http://i1206.photobucket.com/albums/bb454/greenheadcaller/moa%20challenge/pic%201%20range%20and%20target_zps8jtig1ws.jpg</a>" />

http://<a href=http://i1206.photobucket.com/albums/bb454/greenheadcaller/moa%20challenge/pic%202%20shot%20target_zps97svg5nw.jpg</a>" />
http://i1206.photobucket.com/albums/bb454/greenheadcaller/moa%20challenge/pic%203%20best_zps3glmgzad.jpg

http://<a href=http://i1206.photobucket.com/albums/bb454/greenheadcaller/moa%20challenge/pic%204%20DPMS%2024%20bull%20.223_zpskfjalbod.jpg</a>" />

http://i1206.photobucket.com/albums/bb454/greenheadcaller/moa%20challenge/pic%205%20Ontarget_zpswtki6thr.jpg

SPR Division:  Greenheadcaller,  DMPS 24 BULL .223, Vortex Crossfire 1, reloads 50g vmax H332;  .844 + 1.02 + .478 + 821 +.406 = 3.569/5 = .7138 Average = .682 MOA
View Quote

Nice shooting!!!!!!!!!!!!

Did you calibrate your software?

Your calipers show .624" for the ES of your smallest group, yet the software is showing that group's ES being only .406". I'm not sure if you're using On target or not, but there's a little button on the very left that has two "+" signs with a line between them. You use this tool to set the reference for the software to go off of. I normally use my calipers to measure a line on the target, then I use the tool in the software to measure the same line, then I input the value that my calipers measured.

Disregard, I'm an idiot.

Link Posted: 5/6/2016 10:04:19 AM EDT
[Last Edit: greenheadcaller] [#29]
Good morning Maud, and thank you.

Yes, calibrated it, OnTarget.  

The software value has already subtracted for the bullet.

.406 + .224 bullet =  .630

same same
Link Posted: 5/6/2016 8:33:26 PM EDT
[#30]

Originally Posted By greenheadcaller:

Good morning Maud, and thank you.

Yes, calibrated it, OnTarget.  

The software value has already subtracted for the bullet.

.406 + .224 bullet =  .630

same same
View Quote

DOH! I'm an idiot. I must not have had enough coffee this AM.

Thanks, and again, nice shooting!!!

Link Posted: 5/7/2016 7:03:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Beetlebuu] [#31]
Hello, I'd like to be added

Non-Magnified optic 50 yard; Beetlebuu; 7.5" 300 Blackout DIY PDW; Ruck + PA Micro Dot; 150 gr Freedom Munitions 300 BLK;  Groups: 4.30 / 3.76 / 4.60 / 5.42 / 5.61 = avg 4.738 MOA

ETA: wrong calculations see next post.

Link Posted: 5/7/2016 7:58:25 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By Beetlebuu:
Hello, I'd like to be added

Non-Magnified optic 50 yard; Beetlebuu; 7.5" 300 Blackout DIY PDW; Ruck + PA Micro Dot; 150 gr Freedom Munitions 300 BLK;  Groups: 4.30 / 3.76 / 4.60 / 5.42 / 5.61 = avg 4.738 MOA

View Quote

I screwed up the calculations, I forgot to subtract the bullet diameter. Lets try this again!

Non-Magnified optic 50 yard; Beetlebuu; 7.5" 300 Blackout DIY PDW; Ruck + PA Micro Dot; 150 gr Freedom Munitions 300 BLK;  Groups: 3.72 / 3.19 / 4.03 / 4.85 / 5.04 = avg 4.166 MOA

Link Posted: 5/8/2016 6:54:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: taliv] [#33]
i should probably go read the rules before posting, but i was screwing around with seating depth and annealing and made 40 rounds of ammo to shoot in 8 groups, each with different seating depth and number of firings between annealing.  so here's 40 rounds on paper from 100 yards.  a fly wandered onto my target and i popped him with a round from my 3rd group.   So don't include that 4 round group in the total.  
Some of the groups are better than others, but I'm pretty happy I only had 1 bad pull out of 40 rounds. I dry fired at least 2x between shots and took about an hour and a half total to shoot 40 rounds. Nice way to spend a sunny day, though my targets are normally farther away and go 'ping' when you hit them.

Discounting group 3, the 5 smallest groups (1,5,6,7,8)  average .473 MOA while the 5 largest groups (2,4,5,6,7) average .666 MOA
for reference, the dots are all 5/8" shoot n see

I use a str8laced rear bag and bipod and "maintain constant hand pressure".  The bag is attached to my rifle and I never go anywhere without it.  not sure i understand why rear bags are frowned upon here.

most recent pic of rifle, at Rock Lake PRS match near spokane, WA last weekend.
it's a 6.5x47L built by Stuteville Precision, vortex gen2 4-27x, silencerco omega suppressor.  shooting berger 140 hybrids over varget

Link Posted: 5/8/2016 11:11:01 PM EDT
[#34]
I hope Molon sees that.
Link Posted: 5/10/2016 6:53:06 PM EDT
[#35]
If you want a fun 100yd reduced TGT, where POI needs to be POA....

Link Posted: 5/10/2016 9:09:30 PM EDT
[#36]

Originally Posted By LRRPF52:

http://i1085.photobucket.com/albums/j422/LRRPF52/100yd%20Reduced%20TGT_zpsdzumcivr.jpg
View Quote
I really like that. I'll have to print a few for my next range trip to go with my 10 quarter targets.

Link Posted: 5/10/2016 10:26:25 PM EDT
[#37]

http://i1085.photobucket.com/albums/j422/LRRPF52/100yd%20Reduced%20TGT_zpsdzumcivr.jpg
View Quote

This is far too underemphasized in the non-hunter community. I understand that shooting groups is fun (I do it!) but ultimately you need to be able to put the bullet where it should go, not right next to the last one.

Perhaps I'm missing something, but is this supposed to be shot at 100yds?
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 2:03:48 AM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By minion42:

This is far too underemphasized in the non-hunter community. I understand that shooting groups is fun (I do it!) but ultimately you need to be able to put the bullet where it should go, not right next to the last one.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By minion42:

Depending on how you size it, you can do whatever you want, but it is way unrealistic at 100yds if sized 1:1.

The heads on all of the targets are 1" high or less, and .6" to .8" wide, which would indicate extreme distances of 1000yds.

50yds and 25yds would be much more practical, and even 10yds would be most realistic, especially with a .22LR.

If you have an open field that is subject to wind, shooting them with .22LR at 50yds would be challenging, especially with calling the wind.

We have a regular monthly .22LR match for the precision shooters here in UT, where guys have their rifles set-up as close to their center fire bolt guns as possible.

Some buddies of mine have let me borrow their .22 match rifles for shooting campouts that I have done with my Scout Troop, and it's great to be able to take a new shooter with absolutely no trigger time, put him on an Anschutz or CZ, train him, and watch him cut bug holes for his record fire for the Rifle Shooting Merit Badge, then send him home with the target.
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 11:10:38 AM EDT
[#39]
I'm not the best rifleman but here is my addition. No ruler or any of that to measure, and just two groups. I needed to see where my best potential is as far as finding a round that I can replicate that will fit both of these rifles to simply things. Model 700 16.5" and a 16.1 AR15 from the prone. That table and chair was just not cutting it.

No bags either. And I messed up the last shot with the 700 because I jerked the trigger by accident sneezing

I think the top with the AR, those two to the left was an improper trigger placement.

Think I'll do a redo if possible and bring a ruler and some better targets with the MOA squares in them.
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 8:44:07 PM EDT
[#40]

Range:

Groups:

Calipers:

Rifle:

Savage FVSR with Weaver 2-10x36 FFP (had some parallax going on at 50 yards, need to get a AO scope for this guy).

Front Protektor rest, rear is a small dump pouch that I put two pairs of cotton gloves in and cinched up.

I tried Federal Gold Medal match and Eley target, totally disappointed in both of them in this rifle, especially for the cost!

CCI Standard turned out to be the best groups so that's what I used for the challenge.

Magnified Rimfire 50 yards, azoutdoorsman, Savage FVSR .22lr-completely OEM, Weaver Tactical 2-10x36 FFP EMDR reticle, CCI Standard, Groups: .932", .318", .841", .495", .521" =3.107/5=.621= 1.127 MOA

Link Posted: 5/12/2016 4:20:44 PM EDT
[#41]
For future use.
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 12:29:57 PM EDT
[#42]
Shot this target with my CZ-453 Lux .22 a while back. Have entered many online .22 shoots but this target was not entered in any.
Not sure if it counts or not for this but this rifle is very repeatable.
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 2:11:30 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By TheKnack:
Shot this target with my CZ-453 Lux .22 a while back. Have entered many online .22 shoots but this target was not entered in any.
<a href="http://s176.photobucket.com/user/marine38/media/DSCN1549.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w165/marine38/DSCN1549.jpg</a>
View Quote

Nice shooting but you will have to follow the rules 5 groups of five. Please read the OP on page one.
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 2:22:11 PM EDT
[#44]
Just when I think 8-groups of 5-shot averaged would be better I guess I was wrong.
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 4:08:36 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 10:39:20 PM EDT
[#46]
" />

" />

" />

" />

SPR 100 Yard; Dangerranger61007:  Home built AR15, Rainier Ultramatch 18" SPR barrel, Larue MBT trigger, Bushnell DMR 3.5-21x in a Larue LT158 mount.  Handloaded 77gr SMK (23.2gr XBR 8208) Groups: 0.749, 1.059, 1.122, 0.96, 0.854 = avg 0.9488  AVG 0.906 MOA"

First attempt, I blew a couple of the shots and may need to tweek my handloads a bit more.  I'll be back, good excuse to practice.
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 10:05:39 PM EDT
[#47]

Originally Posted By akethan:
Nice shooting but you will have to follow the rules 5 groups of five. Please read the OP on page one.
View All Quotes

<a href="http://s176.photobucket.com/user/marine38/media/DSCN1549.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w165/marine38/DSCN1549.jpg</a>

Did I not follow the rules for my entry on this page? I thought I did everything correctly, but still don't see my entry listed on page 1.

I know your comment wasn't directed at me, but just checking.
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 10:28:10 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By azoutdoorsman:
Did I not follow the rules for my entry on this page? I thought I did everything correctly, but still don't see my entry listed on page 1.  

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By azoutdoorsman:

I'm pretty sure its just been a while since they were updated.  

I checked and didn't see my addition so I thought maybe only the top 25 were being updated until I noted the "Last Updated" on the first page is 4/9 and 4/13.  I'm guessing he just updates them in batches.  I might get another shot at it with the same setup Saturday - hoping to improve on my first attempt.
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 8:13:49 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 5/21/2016 4:10:37 AM EDT
[#50]

You don't have the knack for posting right.

View All Quotes
Just when I think 8-groups of 5-shot averaged would be better I guess I was wrong.

You don't have the knack for posting right.

-LOL
Going to have to hit the range again soon and enter a few of these by following the rules of only 5-5shot groups.
Soon I will be doing one for my new 20" Stealth barrel that arrived. Wish me luck as I know the barrel will be up to the challenge.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 35
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top